Have you put weight on during lockdown

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Have you put weight on during lockdown

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:30 am

Having spent the first 6 weeks of furlough watching TV or movies on my phone or tablet I put on over a stone .
So for the last 3 weeks I've been averaging 15,000 steps a day and eating healthy and watching my macros.
I've lost half of the stone I've put on and hope to at least get back to my pre covid weight before I unfurlough next month.
I was curious if I'm in the minority here having out on so much weight
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Dan Byrom
Rookie

Re: Have you put weight on during lockdown

Post by Dan Byrom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:37 am

I've been running more.

Lost about a stone!

Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:52 am

Dan Byrom wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:37 am
I've been running more.

Lost about a stone!
Congrats! See you at some co-event parkruns next year then ;)

Similar story here, though it was a conscious ambition - WFH helped as much as running imo as I am far less tired generally.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH

Matt Rutherford

Post by Matt Rutherford » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:17 am

Roughly half-a-stone upwards. Have been walking a lot more, but that has been far outweighed (no pun intended) by me being slumped behind my laptop, playing Apto, steadily reducing my household's supply of biscuits.
Bringing a hint of gauche awkwardness to the Midlands since 2002

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:31 pm

A little more maybe, but that's mostly due to an almost complete lack of activity since December - I wasn't in the head space to do my usual yoga/circuits/cycling/korfball training, and then I badly sprained my ankle in a match. Lockdown's been a good chance to reset and consider my future activity.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:49 pm

No. If anything I've lost weight because I tend to weigh less in the summer and more in the winter.

Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:28 pm

I have found it harder to lose weight since I became a veggie in January and this diet I'm on (Team RH fitness ) relies on a higher protein and fibre intake.
The fibre is easy but the protein less so and I am reluctant to rely on Whey powder

Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:32 pm

I have, but I appear to be the only person in my circles who has.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Acolyte

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:16 pm

I had put on weight, but I just shaved for the first time since lockdown and that must have shed the weight again.

Dave Robjohns

Post by Dave Robjohns » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:28 pm

Typically all of my exercise is social stuff like tennis/rounders etc as I can never motivate myself consistently to run/cycle etc alone, so lockdown and distancing culling uni combined with comfort eating has somewhat ruined me... up a strong 5 stone over 2020! Not optimistic for lockdown 3.0...

Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:36 pm

Technically I've lost 9lbs but i wasover a stone lighter after furlough in August

Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:58 am

Dave Robjohns wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:28 pm
Typically all of my exercise is social stuff like tennis/rounders etc as I can never motivate myself consistently to run/cycle etc alone, so lockdown and distancing culling uni combined with comfort eating has somewhat ruined me... up a strong 5 stone over 2020! Not optimistic for lockdown 3.0...
Do you have a regular circle of friends that you usually play tennis/rounders with? If so, maybe try seeing up something you can do virtually with them. In the first lockdown a group of my mates set up a 'distance league' on an app. They used Under Armour's MapMyRun but something like Strava would work too. It became a bit of a competition as to who could rack up the most km/miles, and got everyone talking about their walks/runs/cycles. It felt like social group exercise, despite the fact we were all technically doing it alone.

I think (please correct if wrong) that you can still exercise outdoors with one person from another household in this lockdown so that should help too.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

Fiona T
Enthusiast

Post by Fiona T » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am

Yeah I was a little overweight at the start of 2020 and fairly motivated to do something about it. I've now added a stone and got good intentions but zero motivation. I actually feel quite ashamed of myself. Must do better.
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Fiona T wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am
Yeah I was a little overweight at the start of 2020 and fairly motivated to do something about it. I've now added a stone and got good intentions but zero motivation. I actually feel quite ashamed of myself. Must do better.
My advice is to buy a fitbit or use a step counter app.
Use every wasted minute ( usually an add break) to march up and down your living room or on the spot and you can easily hit 15,000 steps which is a step in the right direction and drink at least 2 litres of water
It helped me loose a stone in weight until a knee injury stopped me and i put on half a stone 😞

Paul Anderson
Acolyte

Post by Paul Anderson » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:16 pm

Dunno if it's age just catching up, but I only really started to put on weight when I started playing Apto. I'm much more determined this year to be as active as I used to be. Sitting motionless on the couch is self-evidently gonna increase your waistline.

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:36 pm

Getting much less exercise overall, but also eating a lot less food and generally eating healthier. I think being in the house all the time has made it easier to plan healthy meals with fresh ingredients.

I found myself eating a lot less wfh than when in the office.
1) There's quite a lot of social snacking In offices (e.g. bringing in a cake or bringing some chocolate back from your trip to the shop to share)
2) Quite a lot of social lunching which often involved going to the market stall and getting enormous portions for lunch.

The thing I am most happy about over lockdown is having reduced my caffeine dependency. I can get by for the day with one big cup in the morning now. Used to need 2 or 3 a day!

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:38 pm

JackHurst wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:36 pm
Getting much less exercise overall, but also eating a lot less food and generally eating healthier. I think being in the house all the time has made it easier to plan healthy meals with fresh ingredients.

I found myself eating a lot less wfh than when in the office.
1) There's quite a lot of social snacking In offices (e.g. bringing in a cake or bringing some chocolate back from your trip to the shop to share)
2) Quite a lot of social lunching which often involved going to the market stall and getting enormous portions for lunch.

The thing I am most happy about over lockdown is having reduced my caffeine dependency. I can get by for the day with one big cup in the morning now. Used to need 2 or 3 a day!
Oh I just realised this post didn't answer the question...
I think I've lost about half a stone.