Joke Items

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Joke Items

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Things that are obviously ridiculous but people seem to take seriously for some reason.

For example, spaghetti. It's a fun food for children to have but it's completely impractical, and yet adults sit down and eat it like it's a perfectly normal thing to do.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Joke Items

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:08 pm Things that are obviously ridiculous but people seem to take seriously for some reason.

For example, spaghetti. It's a fun food for children to have but it's completely impractical, and yet adults sit down and eat it like it's a perfectly normal thing to do.
Funny that you say that.
During a casual racist moment I was wondering why are the Chinese still persevering with chopsticks.

Equally why do the British Judiciary persevere with wearing wigs
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was considering mentioning chopsticks.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fountain pens.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Typewriters
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:05 pm Typewriters
Very few people still use them though and those that do would be seen as a bit strange probably. Whereas people use fountain pens in all seriousness without expecting to be mocked. On that note:

Analogue watches.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Ties
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Peter Mabey wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:10 pmTies
Bow Ties , especially the non clip on variety.
3 piece suits
Shoes with laces ( probably just me on that one )
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Might as well go with shirts as well with all those pointless buttons to do up.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:57 pm Might as well go with shirts as well with all those pointless buttons to do up.
Yes , anything with more than three buttons are a pain.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Tins that need tin openers
Most tin openers are a joke
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The 14-round format.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Fake poo. Why would you pay for it when you can get the real stuff for free?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:52 pm Fake poo. Why would you pay for it when you can get the real stuff for free?
I bought one as a kid and then smashed a stink bomb next to it and thought I might as well have used dogshit
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Those giant pepper grinders they sometimes bring round in restaurants and use to offer you pepper on your food like it's some sort of delicacy. It's fucking pepper. Would you do the same with salt?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:53 pm Those giant pepper grinders they sometimes bring round in restaurants and use to offer you pepper on your food like it's some sort of delicacy. It's fucking pepper. Would you do the same with salt?
They fall into the same category as ties. Most joke objects are phalluses.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:07 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:05 pm Typewriters
Analogue watches.
I use an analogue watch. I prefer it to digital as "about 6pm" is easier to see than looking at 17:58 and working it out. I also have a 1 handed watch which is nice for weekends when time doesn't have to be so precise.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

aLSO YOU LOOk cooler with an analogue
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:51 pm Fountain pens.
I have dysgraphia (linked to dyspraxia) meaning my writing is a cursive, looking like a black spider memo scrawled by someone mid-seizure and my hand cramps up after half-a-page. I use cheap fountain pens because I find you don't have to press as hard, which lets me write longer and is slightly more legible.

Regarding novelty seasoning dispensers, my family have a salt cellar that mechanically grinds up rock salt. This thing exists. Because putting salt on your chips from a normal shaker was too easy apparently. :roll:
England's most socially-awkward churchgoer
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jewellery that can't actually be worn on the human body, so instead of being redesigned, you have to "redesign" the human body (make stupid holes in it) so that you can wear it.

Absolutely stone-cold mental, I genuinely can't see any other description that applies.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Collecting stuff
Pokémon cards, football cards , anything that doesn't have a practical use , like CDs or DVDs
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Sat May 02, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Rutherford wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:39 am Regarding novelty seasoning dispensers, my family have a salt cellar that mechanically grinds up rock salt. This thing exists. Because putting salt on your chips from a normal shaker was too easy apparently. :roll:
We used to have one of them.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hang on, I'm confused. Is there an issue with salt grinders in general? The use of the word "mechanical" somehow puts me on edge and makes me think you might be talking about a particularly special kind of salt grinder. Because yes, freshly ground rock salt is an entirely different thing to powdered table salt.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:35 pm Hang on, I'm confused. Is there an issue with salt grinders in general? The use of the word "mechanical" somehow puts me on edge and makes me think you might be talking about a particularly special kind of salt grinder. Because yes, freshly ground rock salt is an entirely different thing to powdered table salt.
Exactly, in the same way that freshly ground pepper is different to the powdery stuff.

Also, analogue watches are better than digital watches for the reason already cited, viz. it's usually more useful to know that it's nearly six o'clock than that it's 17:58 or whatever, and the visual representation conveys this to most people's brains more readily than a digital readout does. And analogue watches look nicer.

Fountain pens: I have to use one for work when I'm registering marriages as I'm obliged by law to use registration ink which doesn't fade.

Basically, this topic is a joke item.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:35 pm Hang on, I'm confused. Is there an issue with salt grinders in general? The use of the word "mechanical" somehow puts me on edge and makes me think you might be talking about a particularly special kind of salt grinder. Because yes, freshly ground rock salt is an entirely different thing to powdered table salt.
Isn't it just sodium chloride?

But anyway in the grinder we had, the salt still came out really big. And that just means you get a lower surface area so less taste, which means you put more on and get higher blood pressure. So powdered stuff is better.

As for pepper, I don't think it has the same health concerns but in any case if it's better ground in front of you (I'm not saying it is, just going along with it) then you could still have individual grinders on the table rather than this stupid show of going round with this massive dispenser. As I say, it's still pepper and not some rare gourmet delicacy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:49 pm Also, analogue watches are better than digital watches for the reason already cited, viz. it's usually more useful to know that it's nearly six o'clock than that it's 17:58 or whatever, and the visual representation conveys this to most people's brains more readily than a digital readout does. And analogue watches look nicer.
Well I'll take your word for it that some sort of scientific test has been done but I'm guessing "more readily" means that the brain is 0.1 seconds faster at processing it. I can generally figure out fairly quickly that it's nearly six o'clock if I see a watch that says 17:58 or 5:58. Sometimes more precision is required anyway and digital watches are more useful for that. Nothing here suggests to me we need to go back through the centuries. Maybe I think an old computer from 1980 looks nicer than my current laptop. Not going to use it instead though.
Fountain pens: I have to use one for work when I'm registering marriages as I'm obliged by law to use registration ink which doesn't fade.
That just shows that they don't make normal pens with this specific ink. I'm sure other inks also don't fade but if it's a legal thing then it's really the fault of the ink manufacturer for not putting their ink in pens.
Basically, this topic is a joke item.
Wash your mouth out (with whatever they used instead of soap in the dark ages).
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:01 amSometimes more precision is required anyway and digital watches are more useful for that
Analogue watches are obviously more precise than digital ones as digital can only show full elapsed units of time whereas an analogue moving needle has no such restrictions. Admittedly most "analogue" watches seem to have a jumping second hand though. And an nth degree of precision is useless if the watch isn't accurate enough for it to be meaningful.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:13 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:01 amSometimes more precision is required anyway and digital watches are more useful for that
Analogue watches are obviously more precise than digital ones as digital can only show full elapsed units of time whereas an analogue moving needle has no such restrictions. Admittedly most "analogue" watches seem to have a jumping second hand though. And an nth degree of precision is useless if the watch isn't accurate enough for it to be meaningful.
I mean yes, but really I meant hand watches rather than analogue. And if you want precision rather than "Oh it's about 6:00" it's much easier to read off a digital watch. And by the way it isn't always about 6:00. If it's 5:42 and 30 seconds I'd rather just read that off a watch rather than think "It's about twenty to six. No wait, maybe it's more like quarter to. Somewhere in the middle then." Obviously you might argue that you don't have to go through the verbal thought process, but what if someone asks you the time? Much easier with a digital.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sun May 03, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I've always hated wearing a watch. I don't like the feeling of them on my wrist. And my mobile phone tells the time so watches are kind of redundant as far as I'm concerned.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 am I've always hated wearing a watch. I don't like the feeling of them on my wrist. And my mobile phone tells the time so watches are kind of redundant as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, that's fair enough. I normally take my watch off if I'm in one place for a while because I find it annoying, but when I'm moving around I find it easier to look at it on my wrist than get my phone out.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I always have my Fitbit on analogue setting but then I probably have spent more of my life with an analogue face on my watch than a digital one.
Ironically j only really had one when LCD and LED were new
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Pardon me, I wasn't clear. It's a battery-powered thing. You need 6 AAA's to operate the bloody thing and buy the salt rocks to grind up-more of a faff and more expensive than buying table salt outright. I have no issue with rock salt-not that I can tell the difference in taste. It's the fact there exists a salt cellar that needs 6 batteries before it works.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Rutherford wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:52 pm
Pardon me, I wasn't clear. It's a battery-powered thing. You need 6 AAA's to operate the bloody thing and buy the salt rocks to grind up-more of a faff and more expensive than buying table salt outright. I have no issue with rock salt-not that I can tell the difference in taste. It's the fact there exists a salt cellar that needs 6 batteries before it works.
John Lewis sells them......along with onion goggles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ah, so it's the electric aspect of grinders. Gotcha. Yeah we have had an electric pepper grinder temporarily in the past but, aside from the battery life you point out, I prefer the manual feel of grinding. And the goddamn noise.

I'm actually in the market for a new salt and pepper grinder set as one of our nice set died and the other is on the way out and dropping lots of salt whenever you pick it up and put it down. In my searching on Amazon I found that there is now a rechargeable electric one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuisinart-SG6U ... B07FNK727Z
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:53 pmI prefer the manual feel of grinding.
Yes, I remember.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If you go to about 19:30 in this episode of Trust Me, I'm a Doctor, all forms of poncy salt are revealed to be joke items.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:06 pm Tins that need tin openers
Tins that don't need them are bloody annoying because they have a lip that means it's more difficult to get all of the liquid out. Bad design.

Similarly, such tins which have one of those thicker bottoms meaning that you have to use an opener around the ring pull rather than having a choice.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:51 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:06 pm Tins that need tin openers
Tins that don't need them are bloody annoying because they have a lip that means it's more difficult to get all of the liquid out. Bad design.

Similarly, such tins which have one of those thicker bottoms meaning that you have to use an opener around the ring pull rather than having a choice.
I did have a nice tin openers that cut around the outer edge rather than the top but when I last moved I didn't take it with me.

The other problem with the ring pull lids is whenever I open a tin of soup I can't avoid making a mess
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:24 am If you go to about 19:30 in this episode of Trust Me, I'm a Doctor, all forms of poncy salt are revealed to be joke items.
Too lazy to click but i'm talking more about texture than anything - you, like the fucking prick you are, seem to think that powdered stuff is better because (scientific or otherwise) a smaller amount is required for a more consistent and even saltiness. A more consistent and even saltiness is exactly what many uses of salt are trying not to achieve. Good examples that you must (but obviously won't) be able to appreciate would be chocolate stuff - a bar of dark chocolate with sea salt or sea salt in a brownie or something. You don't want to make the chocolate salty, you want to be able to taste the chocolate and the salt separately at the same time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:24 am If you go to about 19:30 in this episode of Trust Me, I'm a Doctor, all forms of poncy salt are revealed to be joke items.
Too lazy to click but i'm talking more about texture than anything - you, like the fucking prick you are, seem to think that powdered stuff is better because (scientific or otherwise) a smaller amount is required for a more consistent and even saltiness. A more consistent and even saltiness is exactly what many uses of salt are trying not to achieve. Good examples that you must (but obviously won't) be able to appreciate would be chocolate stuff - a bar of dark chocolate with sea salt or sea salt in a brownie or something. You don't want to make the chocolate salty, you want to be able to taste the chocolate and the salt separately at the same time.
I have eaten sweet things that have the odd bit of salt in them (which isn't uniformly distributed), so I acknowledge that there could be a small use case. However, it would only be a small use case because you certainly wouldn't use it for 99% of salt uses cases (on chips basically) and where I have experienced such things, I haven't generally been overly impressed with them. A chocolate bar that randomly tastes salty in part of it - you're just a hipster. Interestingly that episode also had a bit on that hipster gruel stuff that you have.

But anyway, the point is you certainly wouldn't have it as your main salt that you stick on the table.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I certainly wouldn't have you on my table.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pmA more consistent and even saltiness is exactly what many uses of salt are trying not to achieve. Good examples that you must (but obviously won't) be able to appreciate would be chocolate stuff - a bar of dark chocolate with sea salt or sea salt in a brownie or something. You don't want to make the chocolate salty, you want to be able to taste the chocolate and the salt separately at the same time.
But
Matt Morrison also wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:35 pmBecause yes, freshly ground rock salt is an entirely different thing to powdered table salt.
So not only do you think rock salt goes off after you grind it, you presumably make your own bars of chocolate?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

In the same vein as spaghetti, baguettes.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Home made face masks
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Hastily erected sneeze guards where you can't hear the cashier talking property
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Sparkling Water.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mouses (mice?) and keyboards that need batteries.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:43 pm Mouses (mice?) and keyboards that need batteries.
i'd much rather have to change a battery every few months than have to deal with another unnecessary wire coming out my laptop/mouse
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thomas Carey wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:43 pm Mouses (mice?) and keyboards that need batteries.
i'd much rather have to change a battery every few months than have to deal with another unnecessary wire coming out my laptop/mouse
How many wires do you have coming out of your laptop, and perhaps more intriguingly, how many do you have coming out of your mouse?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was sure there was a previous conversation abut wireless keyboards/mouses from years ago, perhaps involving Jono, but I can't seem to find it.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

My mouse is rechargeable. Best of both worlds.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I've never used shaving foam in my entire life.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just wanna say big ups to spaghetti. Cooks really fast and is great in a carbonara.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Also, can't beat a bit of fresh ground pepper in a carbonara. Always nice to be offered some in a restaurant, but rather taste my carbonara first to see.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:47 pm I've never used shaving foam in my entire life.
Manual razors generally. Move into modern times and use an electric one where using foam would just be weird anyway.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:51 pm
Mark James wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:47 pm I've never used shaving foam in my entire life.
Manual razors generally. Move into modern times and use an electric one where using foam would just be weird anyway.
If you shave every day then electric is best .
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Headless guitars.
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Manual gearboxes (for your average car-lorries and other vehicles are a different story, I know). Automatic is far easier to deal with, not having to fuck about with the clutch and it makes roundabouts much simpler to navigate. About the only thing the US has got right is the demise of 'stickshift.'

(N.B-This was written by a learner driver who has the general co-ordination of an orangutan on a step-ladder)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Matt Rutherford wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:16 am Manual gearboxes (for your average car-lorries and other vehicles are a different story, I know). Automatic is far easier to deal with, not having to fuck about with the clutch and it makes roundabouts much simpler to navigate. About the only thing the US has got right is the demise of 'stickshift.'

(N.B-This was written by a learner driver who has the general co-ordination of an orangutan on a step-ladder)
There are definitely situations in which having a manual helps. If you need a quick burst of acceleration it can help to downshift, for example. But yeah, it would probably be easier if cars were automatic by default, with the option of manually selecting a gear on the odd occasion you really needed to.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

In the 2030s we will be putting driverless cars in here