Yahoo groups are closing soon

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ben Wilson
Legend

Yahoo groups are closing soon

Post by Ben Wilson »

So now would be the time to archive posts from c4countdown and gevincountdown, if it hasn't already been done, and especially the archive of the old Talk4 forum (from 2001!) that I'm sure Gevin still has somewhere. If anyone could volunteer to host the posts once they've been archived, it'd be most appreciated too. According to news we've got around 5 days.

Also, someone notify Zef, I think he still posts on gevc from time to time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Yahoo groups are closing soon

Post by Gavin Chipper »

That's a bit shit. How would you archive a Yahoo group anyway other than by saving each post individually?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

But anyway, I should have the Talk4 discussion saved somewhere so I can e-mail it to someone who wants to put it somewhere for safe keeping.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm That's a bit shit. How would you archive a Yahoo group anyway other than by saving each post individually?
I used https://www.httrack.com/ to download everything from gevincountdown (it just does it page by page). I don't have my old Yahoo account so someone else would need to do that.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Conor wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:12 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm That's a bit shit. How would you archive a Yahoo group anyway other than by saving each post individually?
I used https://www.httrack.com/ to download everything from gevincountdown (it just does it page by page). I don't have my old Yahoo account so someone else would need to do that.
You did manage to download it? Someone else would have to do what?

Edit - Oh you mean for c4countdown because you need to log in?
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

On the Yahoo groups themselves it says something like that you can get all your groups data (they didn't include the apostrophe), and it's unclear whether it means all the data from your group or all your data from the group (so just your posts). Anyway, I've tried it for gevincountdown and c4countdown and we'll see what happens. Otherwise I can use something unofficial, like what Conor presumably did.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:03 pm
Conor wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:12 pm
You did manage to download it? Someone else would have to do what?

Edit - Oh you mean for c4countdown because you need to log in?
Yes, I downloaded all of gevincountdown but not c4countdown.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:16 pm On the Yahoo groups themselves it says something like that you can get all your groups data (they didn't include the apostrophe), and it's unclear whether it means all the data from your group or all your data from the group (so just your posts). Anyway, I've tried it for gevincountdown and c4countdown and we'll see what happens. Otherwise I can use something unofficial, like what Conor presumably did.
So after waiting ages, I got download links for both groups, and I have got all the messages, but in these weird file types. You can open them in a text thing like Notepad and read the messages though. So it's good enough. I can e-mail them to people if they want. And the files got downloaded too.