How many in a baker's gross?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

How many are in a baker's gross?

17%
17%
33%
Another specific number (specify in thread)
33%
Some other answer
No votes

Total votes: 6

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

How many in a baker's gross?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Well here it is - the thread you've all been waiting for. I don't think I need to explain the options.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Re: How many in a baker's gross?

Post by David Williams »

There are severe penalties for selling underweight bread. Your scales are not consistent. So for an order of 12 loaves you throw in an extra 8.33% which gives you what you deem to be a decent confidence level of being within the law. For an order of 144 loaves, for that level of confidence you do not have to throw in as much as 12 extra loaves, but I've long since forgotten how to work out the answer.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

More than there are in a nun's nasty.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

David Williams wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 pm There are severe penalties for selling underweight bread. Your scales are not consistent. So for an order of 12 loaves you throw in an extra 8.33% which gives you what you deem to be a decent confidence level of being within the law. For an order of 144 loaves, for that level of confidence you do not have to throw in as much as 12 extra loaves, but I've long since forgotten how to work out the answer.
This is interesting, I must admit I didn't know the origin of the phrase. But it must have been coined in the days of estimating ingredients, surely? Were early weighing scales really that inaccurate? When the phrase originated, all scales would have been simple mechanical balances, using metal weights on one side and the weighed ingredients on the other. The weights don't suddenly change and surely the balances can't have been that inaccurate, can they? Certainly not 8.33% inaccurate, otherwise why even bother with them?
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

8.33% is just the first available increment, so the truly acceptable level could be anywhere between 0.01% and 8.33%. Of the 3 main options, 169 is therefore clearly way too high, and 145 almost certainly too low. I'm going to suggest 152.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

From the Wikipedia:
To protect themselves bakers would add (throw in) a small piece of bread to each order, called the 'in-bread' to ensure they could not be accused of short measure. For large orders of 12 loaves this would be a whole extra loaf.
This implies that it's not a whole extra loaf or nothing. They could have put in a small bit of extra bread, but for a dozen, they explicitly chose a whole extra loaf. So maybe 8.33% is the magic number after all, and the answer is 156.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Someone not on this forum suggested 149 because it's the next prime number after 144 (like 13 is the next prime after 12), and it's done to make things as awkward as possible for people wanting to divide things out evenly.