Can you swim?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Can you swim?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Like a fish :)
38%
Not very well
43%
Not at all :(
19%

Total votes: 21

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Can you swim?

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I have reason to believe there is negative correlation between Countdown fandom and swimming ability.

So let's find out.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Re: Can you swim?

Post by Conor »

Not very well.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

No, but I can drown gracefully.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Nope can't swim at all. Its one of many things I can't do that I would've like to have learnt.

I too have almost drowned before. I remember trying to grab onto to this big metal pole so I could be dragged out of the pool.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I can swim excellently, but my rock 'n' roll lifestyle of non-stop drink and drugs means that I tire easily these days. I used to be able to swim really long distances, but I'd probably drop dead mid-stroke if I tried it now.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Wow, it looks like you might be right.

I swim like a brick :(
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

jimbentley wrote:I'd probably drop dead mid-stroke if I tried it now.
Most people would probably drown if they went swimming while having a stroke.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

About ten feet and then I tend to start sinking, although I can vaguely keep afloat if I try hard enough...

Mike
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I learnt to dive long before I learnt how to swim. This did mean that I used to have to have someone around to get me out for another dive.

I've now progressed to "not very well"
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Pretty well, having size 12 feet helps things along nicely. However, it's alarming how easily I get knackered nowadays (at any sport, not just swimming)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I have a pool in my garden. [/gloat]
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Love swimming, put that in your thesis and smoke it! But then I'm not that good at Countdown...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I can swim.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jason Larsen wrote:I can swim.
It gladdens my heart to learn this, Jason. But how far can you swim? Do you think - if you really trained hard for it - you'd be able to swim across the Atlantic Ocean? How long do you think that would take, assuming you could do it? I think you could do it, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the matter. Remember, you're not allowed to use any artificial flotation devices or boats.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

I say go for it Jason.

I tried it once. Unfortunately, halfway across I got too tired so I turned around and swam back.

George
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

M. George Quinn wrote:I say go for it Jason.

I tried it once. Unfortunately, halfway across I got too tired so I turned around and swam back.

George
:) :) :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jim, I have CP and have had pool therapy before. Because my legs have gotten stronger, I can kick them very well now.

Gavin, maybe I should start swimming more often if I have the time.

I know it came as a very big surprise to all of you that I have CP. If any of you would like to discuss this more, please talk to me privately.
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

I'm good at swimming, good as I'm ever going to be that is. Never going to get any better at it, sports are not my thing in general!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:I know it came as a very big surprise to all of you that I have CP.
Nah, I knew all along.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Really?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Oh yeah.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

How?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

He's Jon Corby. He knows everything he wants to.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

How does he know that I have a disability, and how does he know that it is not that severe and I can type?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

He has many hidden cameras in your house, like the guy in that film "Sliver". Jon's into voyeurism in a big way. He's got cameras pretty much everywhere. He's not really fussy about who he looks at - no-one is safe from his lecherous gaze.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Seattle is thousands and thousands of miles away from England.

Did he get some of my personal information?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:How does he know that I have a disability, and how does he know that it is not that severe and I can type?
Once you know the first part, the second is fairly obvious surely?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you very much!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What's CP?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Criminal Prosecution. It means Jason is posting to us from prison. Consider it a trial run for the next lot of posts from Richard Brittain.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Criminal Prosecution. It means Jason is posting to us from prison. Consider it a trial run for the next lot of posts from Richard Brittain.
:lol:

(I don't like that laughing smiley btw. It just looks like I have a twitch)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I have Cerebral Palsy, which means the messages in my legs do not register in the way you would expect them to.

However, if I talked to any of you on the phone you would be able to understand me with no problem, and it does not affect my typing skills at all.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Spookily, immediately before I came on here for the first time in a week or so, I was watching The Shawshank Redemption, the old prison film. When the water scene came up in that, it reminded me of my failed attempt to learn to swim (on a weekly school visit, so everybody could see my failing/flailing), and that it's one of my bigger embarassments. If there's a negative correlation, I guess it's because we all spent time learning to spot 'snorkel' from 'owselknar' rather than actually doing stuff.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Martin Smith wrote:'owselknar'
Speaking of schoolboy humour, anyone else immediately spot another 7 in there? :)
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I can't believe I did that by accident....
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

There are no such things as accidents, that was a Freudian clit.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I spotted it immediately but assumed it was part of the joke...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:48 pm Criminal Prosecution. It means Jason is posting to us from prison. Consider it a trial run for the next lot of posts from Richard Brittain.
Wow.

I like swimming by the way. I used to be pretty good (I remember doing 50 lengths for a BHF sponsored swim when I was young enough that 50 lengths was decent) but what I've learnt from swimming with Indra recently is that my technique is very rusty and I get tired much more quickly. But I still absolutely love being in the water.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:21 am
Charlie Reams wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:48 pm Criminal Prosecution. It means Jason is posting to us from prison. Consider it a trial run for the next lot of posts from Richard Brittain.
Wow.

I like swimming by the way. I used to be pretty good (I remember doing 50 lengths for a BHF sponsored swim when I was young enough that 50 lengths was decent) but what I've learnt from swimming with Indra recently is that my technique is very rusty and I get tired much more quickly. But I still absolutely love being in the water.
Is that the record for the oldest quoted post.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, by the way.
Can't believe I didn't post my non swimming prowess
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:45 am
Wow.

Is that the record for the oldest quoted post.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, by the way.
Can't believe I didn't post my non swimming prowess
No, last time that question was asked, Charlie quoted the very first post on the forum.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Seems to be this: viewtopic.php?p=2 (IDs 0 and 1 no longer exist)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Wow.

Swimming is ridiculous, and this has really made me reconsider you as a person. Getting wet is just annoying and swimming is one of the most overrated activities in the world.

People try to make out that learning to swim is essential and that you might need to know how to swim in case you randomly fall into an expanse of water one day. Sure, that might happen, but people spend far more time walking along pavements right next to roads, and no-one ever says "You should never do that because you might fall in and you haven't learnt how to survive a 50mph impact with a car." Also, unless you live right by a swimming pool, the chances are you're going to go to your swimming lessons by car, and I would suggest that you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to a swimming lesson than randomly find yourself out of your depth in some water one day. The only reason to learn to swim is for fun, and it's not fun.

I didn't go in a swimming pool at all between 1989 and 2007. I think that's a good record.

By the way Matt, your technique is only going to get more rusty the more time you spend in water. That's how rust works.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

This really hasn't been used in 10 years?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 pm This really hasn't been used in 10 years?
Exactly. People just don't swim any more.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I just cannot agree with you at all Gevin. That's all I have time to say right now, but I'm hoping to find modern C4C-ers agree with me more than with you and do the work for me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:17 pm I just cannot agree with you at all Gevin. That's all I have time to say right now, but I'm hoping to find modern C4C-ers agree with me more than with you and do the work for me.
Well, as I said above, I did relent and go in a pool in 2007, and I have been in maybe a handful of times since, but only while on holiday. And it's not really been about swimming, but more pissing about in the water with maybe a tiny bit of actual swimming thrown in. I would never just "go swimming". Does that help?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I'd rather go swimming than jogging for exercise. Pools are great cause you can do so much, either be really active or also use it for relaxation. Have you ever been to a water park? Bloody amazing fun. You said getting wet is annoying. It's anything but. I think no one should leave school without knowing how to swim.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

See, Mark's a good guy.

And yes Gevin I guess it's fair to differentiate "swimming" and "being in the water", which I think both Mark and I have alluded to. I like them both but being in and around water is the best part for sure. I understand why you didn't get this at first as there is no way to have fun when running as you have to run, whereas you don't have to swim when you "go swimming" because it's awesome.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just on Gev's falling into the road comparison:

"The Road Safety Authority of Ireland (RSA) analysis revealed there were 313 pedestrians killed on Irish roads between 2008 and 2015" (from the Irish Times, sorry can't get the link to work)

Between the same period there were 488 accidental drownings.

http://www.iws.ie/media/drowning-statistics.178.html

Learn to swim.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 am Just on Gev's falling into the road comparison:

"The Road Safety Authority of Ireland (RSA) analysis revealed there were 313 pedestrians killed on Irish roads between 2008 and 2015" (from the Irish Times, sorry can't get the link to work)

Learn to swim.
I always find the terminology 'accidental drownings 'strange.
It implies that there are stats on deliberate drowning
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:09 pmSwimming is ridiculous, and this has really made me reconsider you as a person. Getting wet is just annoying and swimming is one of the most overrated activities in the world.

People try to make out that learning to swim is essential and that you might need to know how to swim in case you randomly fall into an expanse of water one day. Sure, that might happen, but people spend far more time walking along pavements right next to roads, and no-one ever says "You should never do that because you might fall in and you haven't learnt how to survive a 50mph impact with a car." Also, unless you live right by a swimming pool, the chances are you're going to go to your swimming lessons by car, and I would suggest that you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to a swimming lesson than randomly find yourself out of your depth in some water one day. The only reason to learn to swim is for fun, and it's not fun.

I didn't go in a swimming pool at all between 1989 and 2007. I think that's a good record.

By the way Matt, your technique is only going to get more rusty the more time you spend in water. That's how rust works.
This is the wrongest post on the forum and given that this forum also contains Rhys's political posts from like 2011, that's really quite a feat.

Generally baffled and disappointed by how many of you nerds can't swim (or swim well).

Swimming is awesome.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:28 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:09 pmSwimming is ridiculous, and this has really made me reconsider you as a person. Getting wet is just annoying and swimming is one of the most overrated activities in the world.

This is the wrongest post on the forum and given that this forum also contains Rhys's political posts from like 2011, that's really quite a feat.

Generally baffled and disappointed by how many of you nerds can't swim (or swim well).

Swimming is awesome.
Just because I can't swim I do not necessarily disagree that Swimming is awesome.
So is the licks on a well played accoustic guitar but I can't read music neither.

I would be willing to pay good money if someone could guarantee to teach me to swim on a no swim no fee basis of course
Since nearly drowning as a child I'm phobic about putting my head under water
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:08 am
Mark James wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 am Just on Gev's falling into the road comparison:

Learn to swim.
You obviously didn't click the link then because it had figures for suicide by drowning.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Also swimming is pretty easy really. It's fear and panic that are the biggest stumbling block. Humans float very naturally with the minimum of effort. Get in water about chest height, try lying on your back. Spread your legs and arms to cover more surface area and you will float easily. You might need a little arm movement but you will usually float quite handily. Harder in the sea obviously if there are waves but should be no problem in a pool.

A bit of advice as well for anyone with kids. Bring them swimming as early as you can. I used to work in a leisure centre and I'd see people brining toddlers to the pool for the first time and more often than not it didn't go well. You should bring them as babies. Babies have an almost natural ability to swim and they instinctively don't swallow water if their head goes under because they're just out of the womb.

Don't know what it was but most kids over 3 cried immediately when put in the water if it was their first time. Never once happened with any baby under 2. In fact it would usually stop a baby crying.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:42 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:08 am

Learn to swim.
You obviously didn't click the link then because it had figures for suicide by drowning.
Yeah sorry , my bad , I didnt occur to me that people would commit suicide that way
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:13 pm I'd rather go swimming than jogging for exercise. Pools are great cause you can do so much, either be really active or also use it for relaxation. Have you ever been to a water park? Bloody amazing fun. You said getting wet is annoying. It's anything but. I think no one should leave school without knowing how to swim.
I have been to a water park actually, and it wasn't too bad. When I say getting wet is annoying, I more mean once you get out and you're wet and you have to go through the hassle of getting yourself dry before you get dressed. One reason why showers are so annoying too. It's not being in the shower that's the bad thing.
Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:58 pm See, Mark's a good guy.

And yes Gevin I guess it's fair to differentiate "swimming" and "being in the water", which I think both Mark and I have alluded to. I like them both but being in and around water is the best part for sure. I understand why you didn't get this at first as there is no way to have fun when running as you have to run, whereas you don't have to swim when you "go swimming" because it's awesome.
But then swimming is at a definitional advantage compared to running but it covers much more in your definition. If messing about in a swimming pool counts as swimming, then maybe messing about on dry land should count as running! But in terms of actually swimming lengths versus running, running is so fucking superior. I mean, you're actually moving at more than 0.2mph which is an automatic head start!

Learn to swim.
Not actually much in it! What are the stats on fatal car accidents on the way to a swimming lesson?
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:28 amThis is the wrongest post on the forum and given that this forum also contains Rhys's political posts from like 2011, that's really quite a feat.

Swimming is awesome.
Forget Rhys's posts. There's a lot of your posts on this forum too, meaning your claim cannot be true.
Mark James wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:59 am Also swimming is pretty easy really. It's fear and panic that are the biggest stumbling block. Humans float very naturally with the minimum of effort. Get in water about chest height, try lying on your back. Spread your legs and arms to cover more surface area and you will float easily. You might need a little arm movement but you will usually float quite handily. Harder in the sea obviously if there are waves but should be no problem in a pool.

A bit of advice as well for anyone with kids. Bring them swimming as early as you can. I used to work in a leisure centre and I'd see people brining toddlers to the pool for the first time and more often than not it didn't go well. You should bring them as babies. Babies have an almost natural ability to swim and they instinctively don't swallow water if their head goes under because they're just out of the womb.

Don't know what it was but most kids over 3 cried immediately when put in the water if it was their first time. Never once happened with any baby under 2. In fact it would usually stop a baby crying.
I disagree that swimming is easy. Babies might be able to float in water, and floating itself might generally not be that hard, but the act of propelling yourself through the water just feels so unnatural, and if it wasn't hard enough anyway, people invent ridiculous things like breast stroke! Surely an April Fools' joke that went too far! I mean, fucking breast stroke! It's the most unnatural movement I've ever seen anyone ever do ever!
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

I think the accidental drowning figures might be a red herring. Are people who injure themselves in skiing accidents always worse at skiing than the average person?

Sometimes I might be happy to swim on the beach or in an outdoor pool on holiday, but to do it as a way of keeping fit in an indoor pool in the UK, I find boring as hell. With running you make more progress with less effort, and the view is usually far more interesting.

And I have to agree with Gev about the breaststroke.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Bump.
Phil H wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:44 pm I think the accidental drowning figures might be a red herring. Are people who injure themselves in skiing accidents always worse at skiing than the average person?
I think this raises a good point. People drown because they put themselves in a position where drowning is possible - they go in the water and can probably swim a bit. People who can't swim at all are less likely to put themselves in this position.

Don't learn to swim.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

do you always have to choose a poll end date
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

No.