Celebrations - a ranking

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

James S Roper
Acolyte

Celebrations - a ranking

Post by James S Roper »

You're all an opinionated bunch and I'm bored during the study break, so help settle a debate would you?

https://goo.gl/forms/TwqbOYP07sEIYpZH2

Edit: It's also been so long since I last posted I still have my old pseudonym, interesting..
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Celebrations - a ranking

Post by Matt Morrison »

Not answering as I was prepared to rank bar mitzvahs and half-birthday parties.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Think I did
1. Malteser
2. Twix
3. Milky Bar
4. Galaxy Caramel
5. Galaxy
6. Mars
7. Snickers
8. Bounty (excuse my prejudice)

6,7 and 8 under the would not eat category.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Tom S wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:25 pm Think I did
1. Malteser
2. Twix
3. Milky Bar
4. Galaxy Caramel
5. Galaxy
6. Mars
7. Snickers

I'd go with that. Maybe swap Milky Way and Galaxy. Definitely agree with Snickers and Bounty down the end. Don't know what it is about Snickers, I usually like peanuts in chocolate (m'n'ms, Starbar etc), but they get it so wrong.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Mark James wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:07 pm
Tom S wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:25 pm Think I did
1. Malteser
2. Twix
3. Milky Bar
4. Galaxy Caramel
5. Galaxy
6. Mars
7. Snickers

I'd go with that. Maybe swap Milky Way and Galaxy. Definitely agree with Snickers and Bounty down the end. Don't know what it is about Snickers, I usually like peanuts in chocolate (m'n'ms, Starbar etc), but they get it so wrong.
Gah it's just the coconut that is the issue in Bounty, and the nuts in Snickers............
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why all the hate for Bounty I had it as no 2 behind Galaxy caramel
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Yeah bounty and Snickers top two easy. Fight me
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:40 pm Not answering as I was prepared to rank bar mitzvahs and half-birthday parties.
You can do that here.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think they're all decent actually. I put Galaxy Caramel top and ended up putting Malteaser bottom, but mainly because I can't remember exactly what it's like. All the others are miniatures of proper bars, whereas the Malteaser Celebration isn't a mini Malteaser. It's its own separate thing, and as such not really a thing.

Actually, is Galaxy Caramel a proper bar? Probably not, but it's a more intuitive item.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

In yet more evidence that everything Gev says is rubbish, I had Malteasers top and Galaxy Caramel bottom.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 amI put Galaxy Caramel top and ended up putting Malteaser bottom, but mainly because I can't remember exactly what it's like. All the others are miniatures of proper bars, whereas the Malteaser Celebration isn't a mini Malteaser.
Really embarrassing spelling mistakes/comprehension errors in here. It's "Malteser" not "Malteaser". I think the little ones in Celebrations are called "Malteser Teasers" or something, and whilst I'll allow you to suck this up into a "Malteaser" (they may well do this themselves sometimes, I don't know), certainly you must be ridiculed at least a little bit for your failures.

Anyway, it's tiny bits of Malteser inside a chocolate bar. A bit like Nestle Crunch (fuck Nestle obviously but this was (is?) an awesome bar) was to puffed rice. And don't you dare try and correct me for not putting the accent into Nestle.
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 amActually, is Galaxy Caramel a proper bar?
It absolutely is, though part of me wonders (not sure why even) whether the full-size bar or the Celebration came first.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Literally just copied the spelling off the poll. And I put Malteaser bottom because that was the thing I voted for in the poll. If Malteser was in the poll I would have voted for that.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha :) I haven't missed chocolate this much in ages actually.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Tom S wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:23 pm Gah it's just the coconut that is the issue in Bounty, and the nuts in Snickers............
No particular preferences otherwise :) , but entirely agree about those.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Tom S wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:23 pm Gah it's just the coconut that is the issue in Bounty, and the nuts in Snickers............
No particular preferences otherwise :) , but entirely agree about those.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why so much hate for the Bounty.
It's my no 1 choice......feel free to post me yours if you hate them so much.
Not keen on the Twix, although judging by how chocolate bars are getting smaller these days, how long before the full priced Twix will be the same size
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm Haha :) I haven't missed chocolate this much in ages actually.
Eat some chocolate then. You can get vegan chocolate.
Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:51 pm Why so much hate for the Bounty.
It's my no 1 choice......feel free to post me yours if you hate them so much.
Yeah, it is a bit odd. They're perfectly fine.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 am I had Malteasers top and Galaxy Caramel bottom.
I believe both can now be successfully treated on the NHS.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

1. Malteasers (obviously)
2. Galaxy ('normal' chocolate is ridiculously underrated)
3. Twix
4. Milky Way
5. Bounty (despite coconut being my favourite food)
6. Galaxy Caramel
7. Mars
DQ Snickers (allergic)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Now that we have this thread, should we also rank Cadbury Heroes? And also discuss the elephant in the room - do Celebrations and Heroes render Roses and Quality Street pointless?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I don't think they do at all. For me, Roses/Street are much cuter, have more tradition/emotion tied to them, and, on a far more logical level of judgement, provide a lot more variety which is the whole point of these sort of boxes right?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am I don't think they do at all. For me, Roses/Street are much cuter, have more tradition/emotion tied to them, and, on a far more logical level of judgement, provide a lot more variety which is the whole point of these sort of boxes right?
Well, I think it's just that Roses/Quality Street chocolates don't tend to exist outside of their own domain, like as individual bars. And that to me implies something about their general quality. People used to buy them because they simply were the small chocolates you could buy in boxes. But now you can buy the chocolate bars you would actually choose to buy individually but in small form in boxes. Having said that, I don't necessarily think that all Roses/Quality Street chocolates are rubbish, but I think it's sort of implied by the nature of their existence.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Nonsense. You only have to look at sexy truffles, which don't exist in fist-sized versions, to know you're talking shit.

Some reasons why small chocolates might not exist in large form:
- they are higher quality and would be too expensive for the consumer to eat in one go at a larger size
- they are a different type of chocolate (truffle centres, caramel centres, fondant centres) that would be too sickly to eat in one go at a larger size
- similarly, producing them at a larger size would lose some sense of their balance between filling(s) and outer layer(s)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

OK, there are expensive small chocolates, but Roses and Quality Street are not that, so I could have added that in to the explanation.

Maybe you have a couple of points to consider, but I would be interested to know if sales had fallen since the introduction of Celebrations and Heroes.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

1. Mars
2. Bounty
3. Snickers
4. Malteaser
5. Twix
6. Milky Way
7. Galaxy
8. Galaxy Caramel

I agree with the general comment that straight chocolate sweets are underrated, but Galaxy is a bit shit.

I'm mainly glad that they haven't started making any of these salty yet.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Milky Way
Twix
Galaxy
Malteser
Galaxy Caramel
Mars
Snickers
Bounty
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Looking at the general rating of Bounty, I think having Bounty as your worst thing is a good problem to have. Heroes have Eclairs...
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:03 pm Looking at the general rating of Bounty, I think having Bounty as your worst thing is a good problem to have. Heroes have Eclairs...
^^. Eclairs are fine if that's what you want but it's a chocolate selection box thing so generally you don't. Although heroes do seem to push the definition of chocolate a bit with fudge and the creme egg thingy, the latter of which I eat way too many of since it's pretty much the only food my mum doesn't like.
cheers maus
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ok what about Quality street.
Hate the round toffees.
Only give them to the dog as it entertains me for a good five minutes.
Favourites are the purple hazelnut one and the green triangles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thomas Carey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:17 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:03 pm Looking at the general rating of Bounty, I think having Bounty as your worst thing is a good problem to have. Heroes have Eclairs...
^^. Eclairs are fine if that's what you want but it's a chocolate selection box thing so generally you don't.
Hard toffee is rubbish though.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I agree with Marc about the toffee pennies in Quality Street but the hard chewy caramels in Roses are usually my favourites. I don't mind it putting up a bit of a fight but if it takes out a tooth, then I don't consider it to be a 'sweet'.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

James S Roper wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:16 pm You're all an opinionated bunch and I'm bored during the study break, so help settle a debate would you?

https://goo.gl/forms/TwqbOYP07sEIYpZH2

Edit: It's also been so long since I last posted I still have my old pseudonym, interesting..
Any results from this yet?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

31 responses (none as of the last few days, I advertised it to two groups of people, one being this forum)

The key points are that 51.6% think Bounty is the worst, any other Bounty votes are usually either 7th or first, it's a divisive subject.
The same can nearly be said for Maltesers, albeit with the order reversed.
People seem to be fairly clear that Mars is 4th best, with 29% saying so, with all other options (asides Bounty) receiving nearly an equal split of the remaining percentage.

Without too much analytics, the current order is probably:
Malteser, Galaxy Caramel, Galaxy, Mars, Milky Way, Twix, Snickers, Bounty
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

In an interesting development, it seems they're trialling getting rid of the Bounties. But what I want to know is when Cadbury's (or Cadbury as they insist on calling themselves nowadays) are going to get rid of the eclair. No-one likes them. What's worse it that they pretend they're caramel. They're fucking toffee! It seems I've done this though.
And from Joke Items:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:13 pm Toffee. Things pretending to be chewy caramel when really they're just hard toffee. Things pretending to be not just caramel, but soft caramel, when they're still just fucking hard toffee.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:56 pm In an interesting development, it seems they're trialling getting rid of the Bounties. But what I want to know is when Cadbury's (or Cadbury as they insist on calling themselves nowadays) are going to get rid of the eclair. No-one likes them. What's worse it that they pretend they're caramel. They're fucking toffee! It seems I've done this though.
And from Joke Items:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:13 pm Toffee. Things pretending to be chewy caramel when really they're just hard toffee. Things pretending to be not just caramel, but soft caramel, when they're still just fucking hard toffee.
The Bounty thing is a very limited gimmick designed to generate vast quantities of free advertising; well done them. As for eclairs, they're also lovely.
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Bounty
Snickers
Twix
Galaxy Caramel
Galaxy
Milky Way
Mars
Maltesers