Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Post Reply
User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:15 am

A coat.

A comb.

Pyjamas.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Johnny Canuck » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:20 am

A car.

Social skills.

A pizza cutter.
* Despite everything, it's still you.

Toby McDonald
Acolyte
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Toby McDonald » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:49 am

A life.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Mark James » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 am

Are pyjamas that universal? I would have thought it's more normal to just wear undies and maybe a t-shirt (if not nothing at all). They certainly seem to be more of a female thing. Can't think of any men I know who wear them.

I did get myself a dressing gown for the first time ever about a year ago though. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Haven't gone as far as getting slippers though. There's something very "old man" about them.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 am

Can highly recommend slippers, even though I only ever seem to wear mine when I go for a sleepover (cute) at my mate's house who has a dirty "outside-y" floor. They are super cool.

I usually sleep with my tits and bits on display but I do have a pair of loungewear-type shorts and (separate) t-shirt which I use solely for sleeping (and hanging around until I get dressed the following morning) so I guess they would count as pyjamas, I don't think they need to be a matching set with hedgehogs on.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 am

A food processor (this will separate the grown ups and the children).

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am

I'm not impressed by comb. Do most people really have combs? It's just a poor man's hairbrush. Lots of people don't even drive so not having a car is no big deal. Social skills and life - well certainly on a Countdown forum it's no big deal. Pizza cutter? Ridiculous suggestion.

I've had slippers since I was quite young actually. Really useful. Going round in just socks is a bit annoying and sometimes liquid could get spilt on the floor which would ruin your day.

Not got a microwave though.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 am

No Comb, because I'm bald.
No wallet , although I do keep my credit / debit cards etc in a tin.
No toolbox, though I do have an electric drill.
No shoe polish
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 am

Also no CD player.
Do people still have those though.
No Alexa./Siri.
No Apple products.
No Games Console.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:42 pm

'Normal' tea bags. Jeans (been a decade since I last owned any). A hoodie.
πŸ†

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Widen "pyjamas" out to mean anything put on to sleep, then. Even a t-shirt and shorts. I just wear what I wore the day before.

Also widen "comb" out to include hairbrushes, and obviously bald people are exempt. I either don't style mine or use my fingers.

Will also claim jeans, food processor, dressing gown and slippers from the above list.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 pm

I want to add Jewellery of any sort.
Also no tattoos, not sure if you 'own ' them though
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 pm
I want to add Jewellery of any sort.
Also no tattoos, not sure if you 'own ' them though
I don't think either of these is rare. Certainly most people don't have tattoos. And it might depend on how you define jewellery. E.g. I have medals from running events. Do I therefore own jewellery?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Maybe the tattoo question should have its own thread because in the last twenty years or so it's becoming quite common
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:04 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am
Pizza cutter? Ridiculous suggestion.
I think this was a really good suggestion, and I daresay nearly everyone here has a pizza wheel or a dedicated pizza cutter in a different geometric shape. You're the dick here.
Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am
Not got a microwave though.
Not a bad shout. Though I still think not as ubiquitous as the pizza cutter.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 am
No wallet , although I do keep my credit / debit cards etc in a tin.
This made me chuckle since the word "although" doesn't work at all here.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Mark Deeks wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm
I just wear what I wore the day before.
STOOOOOOOOOOOOODENT.
Mark Deeks wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm
bald people are exempt
Wow. I have a comb and a brush. Wow.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm
Maybe the tattoo question should have its own thread because in the last twenty years or so it's becoming quite common
Agree with Gevin it's not a good suggestion for this thread. Hang your head in shame. But then raise your head again because this is a great new thread. I bet there are some interesting hidden tattoos around apterous and C4C that not many people know about.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Matt Morrison wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm
Maybe the tattoo question should have its own thread because in the last twenty years or so it's becoming quite common
Agree with Gevin it's not a good suggestion for this thread. Hang your head in shame. But then raise your head again because this is a great new thread. I bet there are some interesting hidden tattoos around apterous and C4C that not many people know about.
I think Reams started a thread on it ages ago if you want to resurrect that.

Edit - This.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Matt Morrison wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:04 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am
Pizza cutter? Ridiculous suggestion.
I think this was a really good suggestion, and I daresay nearly everyone here has a pizza wheel or a dedicated pizza cutter in a different geometric shape. You're the dick here.
I'm not having this. What do you even mean by a dedicated pizza cutter in a different geometric shape? If you don't cut it with a wheel, you cut it with a knife, and that is a different shape from a wheel, correct. But no-one has a knife dedicated to cutting pizza.

I know where you live, and I'm coming there tomorrow.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Mark Deeks » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:29 am

I don't have a pizza cutting device in any form despite being a bumper crop but I'm not sure being on the same side as Gevin is on the same side as "normal people" so I'll stay quiet.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Mark Deeks » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:30 am

Matt Morrison wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:07 pm
Mark Deeks wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm
I just wear what I wore the day before.
STOOOOOOOOOOOOODENT.
More like MAN WITH LITTLE SELF RESPECT LEFT. Actually, same sort of thing I guess.
Mark Deeks wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm
bald people are exempt
Wow. I have a comb and a brush. Wow.
Yeah but you have a long flowing beard, you probably have a room in your house devoted purely to its maintenance.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Peter Mabey
Kiloposter
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Harlow

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Peter Mabey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm

I've never even thought of getting a pizza cutter, as I don't buy pizza.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Mark James » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Mark Deeks wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm
Widen "pyjamas" out to mean anything put on to sleep, then. Even a t-shirt and shorts. I just wear what I wore the day before.
I know dictionary definition pedants can be tiresome but this is a Countdown forum after all. Pyjamas are a specific type of clothing. There's even a current trend of wearing pyjamas outdoors so they're not just for sleeping in anymore. I even know of girls who change out of one pair of pyjamas to another pair for going outside in.

I get where from you're coming from though. I just sleep in the underwear I wore during the day but if I changed into a specific pair that I only used for sleeping in could they be classed as pyjamas? I guess so. But again I would question that that's a normal thing normal people have. If it is a thing I think it's more of a women thing.

I reckon most men are more inclined to do what you do and sleep in whatever they were wearing or take off some amount of the clothes they wore during the day before getting into bed rather than put on something specific for bed. In fairness though I am judging that on a fairly small sample size of blokes I've been on holidays with and have seen what they wear in bed. Maybe it's more common than I think.

Also I'm with Gev on the pizza cutting thing. No way are the things most people would recognize as pizza cutters a normal thing most normal people have. Personally I cut my pizza with a pair of scissors.

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Zarte Siempre » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:01 pm

There is no need for a pizza cutter. You just need a big mezzaluna and then you can use it for that AND other things.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Tom S » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Anything less than a PJ shirt and bottoms and I'll get cold :P

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:18 pm

I wear what my partner lovingly calls 'Night Knickers'
Long shorts for lounging .
I do have a dressing gown for when it gets cold.
Too tight to leave the heating on
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:01 pm
There is no need for a pizza cutter. You just need a big mezzaluna and then you can use it for that AND other things.
Had to look that up.
Embarrassingly I work for John Lewis and a customer couldn't remember the name and I kept thinking of Mandolin.
Needless to say she went to Lakeland
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Morrison » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 am

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:18 pm
I wear what my partner lovingly calls 'Night Knickers
This is wonderful. Gevin would like a photo for clarification.

David Williams
Devotee
Posts: 966
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by David Williams » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 am

Matt Morrison wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 am
A food processor (this will separate the grown ups and the children).
I'd love to have one of these. Ours just chops stuff up.

David Williams
Devotee
Posts: 966
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by David Williams » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 am

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm
Embarrassingly I work for John Lewis
A lot more embarrassing for them, I would think.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:03 pm

David Williams wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 am
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm
Embarrassingly I work for John Lewis
A lot more embarrassing for them, I would think.
I'll have you know that I have been partner of the month twice ( in 5 years )
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Paul Worsley
Acolyte
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Paul Worsley » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm

A pair of chopsticks.

I think the knife and fork is a better invention, and don't feel my oriental meals are any less authentic without them.

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Fred Mumford » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm
I'll have you know that I have been partner of the month twice ( in 5 years )
That's a 3% max rate.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Paul Worsley wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm
A pair of chopsticks.

I think the knife and fork is a better invention, and don't feel my oriental meals are any less authentic without them.
A pair, now you tell me, I've only got the one 😁.
All joking aside John Lewis (other pretentious middle class department stores are available ) do a rookie chopstick, looks like thin tongs, they are ok
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Fred Mumford wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:27 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm
I'll have you know that I have been partner of the month twice ( in 5 years )
That's a 3% max rate.
I'll take that in a store of 100 staff who are biased towards front of house staff
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Paul Worsley
Acolyte
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Paul Worsley » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm
Paul Worsley wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm
A pair of chopsticks.

I think the knife and fork is a better invention, and don't feel my oriental meals are any less authentic without them.
A pair, now you tell me, I've only got the one 😁.
All joking aside John Lewis (other pretentious middle class department stores are available ) do a rookie chopstick, looks like thin tongs, they are ok
This is like telling me that M&S do a nice range of chamber pots.

Matt Bayfield
Devotee
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 am
Location: Seated at a computer

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Bayfield » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 am

I have never owned an umbrella.

An umbrella is a device which deflects rain coming only from directly above you. This, together with its tendency to flip inside out and/or act as a sail, makes it largely useless in even a moderate wind. (Funnily enough, wind and rain often go together.) Even when it's not windy, you still need a hand free to carry an umbrella.

Apart from doubling as a walking stick, an umbrella has no functional advantages over a cheap pac-a-mac with a hood. (In wet conditions with moisture in the air, your hair is going to get just as messed up underneath an umbrella as underneath a hood. Compact umbrellas take up about the same space in your bag, as a pac-a-mac.)

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:54 am

Paul Worsley wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm
Paul Worsley wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm
A pair of chopsticks.

I think the knife and fork is a better invention, and don't feel my oriental meals are any less authentic without them.
A pair, now you tell me, I've only got the one 😁.
All joking aside John Lewis (other pretentious middle class department stores are available ) do a rookie chopstick, looks like thin tongs, they are ok
This is like telling me that M&S do a nice range of chamber pots.
I wouldn't recommend eating your Chinese meal out of a chamber pot
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:56 am

Matt Bayfield wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 am
I have never owned an umbrella.

An umbrella is a device which deflects rain coming only from directly above you. This, together with its tendency to flip inside out and/or act as a sail, makes it largely useless in even a moderate wind. (Funnily enough, wind and rain often go together.) Even when it's not windy, you still need a hand free to carry an umbrella.

Apart from doubling as a walking stick, an umbrella has no functional advantages over a cheap pac-a-mac with a hood. (In wet conditions with moisture in the air, your hair is going to get just as messed up underneath an umbrella as underneath a hood. Compact umbrellas take up about the same space in your bag, as a pac-a-mac.)
I feel the same about wearing a waterproof jacket without the requisite waterproof trousers
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Elliott Mellor » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 am

Matt Bayfield wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 am
I have never owned an umbrella.

An umbrella is a device which deflects rain coming only from directly above you. This, together with its tendency to flip inside out and/or act as a sail, makes it largely useless in even a moderate wind. (Funnily enough, wind and rain often go together.) Even when it's not windy, you still need a hand free to carry an umbrella.

Apart from doubling as a walking stick, an umbrella has no functional advantages over a cheap pac-a-mac with a hood. (In wet conditions with moisture in the air, your hair is going to get just as messed up underneath an umbrella as underneath a hood. Compact umbrellas take up about the same space in your bag, as a pac-a-mac.)
Actually agree with you here, I don't own one either.

User avatar
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General
Posts: 3231
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Phil Reynolds » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:12 am

Mark James wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 am
Are pyjamas that universal? I would have thought it's more normal to just wear undies and maybe a t-shirt (if not nothing at all). They certainly seem to be more of a female thing. Can't think of any men I know who wear them.
Haven't owned a pair of pyjamas since I was about 15. Generally sleep in the buff apart from a phase I went through in my 20s of wearing nightshirts, which I liked in principle for freedom of movement but found uncomfortable to actually sleep in due to their tendency to ride up during the night and end up bunched under the armpits.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3331
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 pm

I've only ever worn pyjamas to go swimming in. Bollock-naked is the way to sleep, and if you're cold like that, you need a better quilt. I've only once worn clothes in bed that I can remember (apart from when sharing rooms, when I think general decorum suggests at least keeping my pants on), and that was in a flat with no heating with a summer duvet where it was cold enough to freeze the condensation.

Otherwise, I don't have an Android or Apple phone, an ironing board, or an Instagram account.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Pyjamas are significantly comfier than anything else to lounge around the house in and sleep in, so I can only imagine all you nudey freaks have a fetish for rubbing your balls on things.

I think my house has an ironing board in it (it isn't mine), but I don't think we actually have an iron. What items even need ironing? Shirts I understand, but anything else...?

I don't have any proper trainers, because they're all ugly and uncomfortable. More comfortable than 5-inch heels, but there's not that much in it. [Disclaimer: I have very wide feet]
πŸ†

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Zarte Siempre » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 pm
so I can only imagine all you nudey freaks have a fetish for rubbing your balls on things.
8-)
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:42 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 pm
so I can only imagine all you nudey freaks have a fetish for rubbing your balls on things.
8-)
Fuming.
πŸ†

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:56 am
Matt Bayfield wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 am
I have never owned an umbrella.

An umbrella is a device which deflects rain coming only from directly above you. This, together with its tendency to flip inside out and/or act as a sail, makes it largely useless in even a moderate wind. (Funnily enough, wind and rain often go together.) Even when it's not windy, you still need a hand free to carry an umbrella.

Apart from doubling as a walking stick, an umbrella has no functional advantages over a cheap pac-a-mac with a hood. (In wet conditions with moisture in the air, your hair is going to get just as messed up underneath an umbrella as underneath a hood. Compact umbrellas take up about the same space in your bag, as a pac-a-mac.)
I feel the same about wearing a waterproof jacket without the requisite waterproof trousers
While I agree that umbrellas are pretty rubbish, if the rain is remotely substantial or you're going to be in in for any amount of time, a rain jacket is not enough - you do need to wear waterproof trousers as well, and they can be quite awkward and fiddly.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 pm
Matt Morrison wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:04 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am
Pizza cutter? Ridiculous suggestion.
I think this was a really good suggestion, and I daresay nearly everyone here has a pizza wheel or a dedicated pizza cutter in a different geometric shape. You're the dick here.
I'm not having this. What do you even mean by a dedicated pizza cutter in a different geometric shape? If you don't cut it with a wheel, you cut it with a knife, and that is a different shape from a wheel, correct. But no-one has a knife dedicated to cutting pizza.

I know where you live, and I'm coming there tomorrow.
It was nice to see you the other day, and your pizza cutter.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Two pizza cutters, in a variety of geometric shapes.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by JimBentley » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 pm

Everyone else I know has a proper mobile phone (by which I mean a smartphone), but I still don't have one. I've never really felt the need to get one as whether at work or at home, I'm in front of a computer anyway and there's nothing a smartphone can do that I can't do on a computer. I do have an old Nokia dumbphone though, but that's only in case I break down in the middle of nowhere. But I honestly can't think of anything else.

However, I bet I have loads of stupid crap that nobody else has, partly due to my hobby of buying cheap shit from China.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 am

Some more from me
Teapot.
Tumble Drier
Dishwasher
Onion Goggles
Garlic press
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Thomas Carey » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:41 am

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 am

Teapot.
I mean yeah most people on this forum are gonna have one of them
cheers maus

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 am

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 am
Some more from me
Teapot.
Tumble Drier
Dishwasher
Onion Goggles
Garlic press
Cos onion goggles are a thing.

Tim Down
Rookie
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Tim Down » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 am

Ian Volante wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 pm
I've only ever worn pyjamas to go swimming in. Bollock-naked is the way to sleep, and if you're cold like that, you need a better quilt. I've only once worn clothes in bed that I can remember (apart from when sharing rooms, when I think general decorum suggests at least keeping my pants on), and that was in a flat with no heating with a summer duvet where it was cold enough to freeze the condensation.
That's all very well when you have the bed to yourself and don't share it, say, with someone who gets hot in the night and therefore insists on a paper-thin duvet.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3270
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 am

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 am
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 am
Some more from me
Teapot.
Tumble Drier
Dishwasher
Onion Goggles
Garlic press
Cos onion goggles are a thing.
Yeah six quid from John Lewis .
I save money and wear swimming goggles
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3331
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Tim Down wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 am
Ian Volante wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 pm
I've only ever worn pyjamas to go swimming in. Bollock-naked is the way to sleep, and if you're cold like that, you need a better quilt. I've only once worn clothes in bed that I can remember (apart from when sharing rooms, when I think general decorum suggests at least keeping my pants on), and that was in a flat with no heating with a summer duvet where it was cold enough to freeze the condensation.
That's all very well when you have the bed to yourself and don't share it, say, with someone who gets hot in the night and therefore insists on a paper-thin duvet.
Two words. Spare room. From memory, I think Charlie has such an arrangement.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3331
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 pm
Pyjamas are significantly comfier than anything else to lounge around the house in and sleep in, so I can only imagine all you nudey freaks have a fetish for rubbing your balls on things.
I don't think I can position myself in such a way to both sleep and have my scrotum in contact with anything but my legs or biffer. Unless I've just had a hot bath of course.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Zarte Siempre » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 am
Cos onion goggles are a thing.
We have some here. Jen has some. That's at least 3 of us.

Will you please just begin to accept that it's you that are the fundamental outlier of society and that you shouldn't speak as the voice of reason ;)
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Things normal people normally own but you don't own for some reason

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 am
Cos onion goggles are a thing.
We have some here. Jen has some. That's at least 3 of us.

Will you please just begin to accept that it's you that are the fundamental outlier of society and that you shouldn't speak as the voice of reason ;)
Haha, maybe you're right, but I certainly don't think onion goggles belong in this thread even if quite a few people have them. I think working at John Lewis has skewed Meakin's perceptions.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests