Moon Landings ,fake?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Moon Landings ,fake?

Post by Marc Meakin »

I have been having a heated debate at work with a young collegue who insists the moon landings were fake.
I remember nearly fifty years ago staying up to see the first man on the moon as a six year old.
I wanted to ask you clever people, what I could say to shut him up once and for all
I suggested a powerful telescope could see the lunar module.
I'm not sure if that is true though.
The only thing I do agree with is that there is no logical reason why we stopped going.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Moon Landings ,fake?

Post by Elliott Mellor »

What arguments is he giving for them being fake, exactly?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Relevant Mitchell and Webb sketch.

There is no telescope powerful enough to see small spacecraft-sized objects on the moon from Earth. However, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has photographed the landing sites.

Wikipedia has an entire article full of third-party evidence for the Apollo Moon landings, including the above photographs of the landing sites, data from laser distance measurements to reflectors placed on the moon by the astronauts, and moonscape photographs taken by the Apollo 15 astronauts which match later observations taken by a Japanese lunar probe.

However, the kind of people who insist the moon landings were faked usually won't be persuaded otherwise by anything so flimsy as "evidence". Any amount evidence you provide, no matter how compelling, will probably get dismissed as being faked by NASA or, in the case of entirely third-party evidence, faked by some kind of shady global conspiracy for unexplained reasons. Then there's not much point arguing with them.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thank you Graham.
Can you , though give a good reason why, for example NASA won't go send anybody up no more.
I mean it's 50 years next July, since the moon landings , wouldn't it be good to go back once more.
My theory is that it's so dangerous that it was a miracle that the other landings were so successful and Health and Safety gets in the way of trying again
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:43 am Thank you Graham.
Can you , though give a good reason why, for example NASA won't go send anybody up no more.
I mean it's 50 years next July, since the moon landings , wouldn't it be good to go back once more.
My theory is that it's so dangerous that it was a miracle that the other landings were so successful and Health and Safety gets in the way of trying again
I think it's just because the huge cost involved in a manned mission outweighs the useful scientific results you can get from it that you can't get from an unmanned mission. The prestige you get from landing humans on another world also has a value, of course, but less so now it's been done.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

If the moon landing was faked, why on earth (sorry) would they have taken the unnecessary risk of doing a load more faked landings over the next 3 and half years, with the corresponding increase in risk of being found out and having to involve all those extra people in the conspiracy? Once would have sufficed.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I'd go the Buzz Aldrin route and just punch them in the face.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

You will be pleased to know he has accepted that he may have been a bit hasty.
He is now concentrating on convincing people tgat Princess Diana was murdered by M15.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Have you noticed that the number of sightings of Elvis has dropped off dramatically in recent years?

I hope nothing has happened to him.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Sir Bernard Lovell, the first director of Jodrell Bank Observatory, tracked the lunar missions all the way to the moon and back again. If it was fake then he would have to be in on it.

Why is it that conspiracy theorists always believe EVERY conspiracy theory? What's his theory on 9/11?

I bet his favourite film is "The Matrix".
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The thing that bugs me about conspiracy theories is that on the one hand, they attempt to make simple explanations more complicated but on the other, they want to diminish human accomplishment. Like we must have faked the moon landing because it's not possible or aliens must have built the pyramids.

As far as I'm concerned we've done far more incredible feats of engineering and infrastructure yet no one ever suspects aliens must have built the sewage system or our entire telecommunications apparatus. When you look at the likes of Trump, Brexit and climate change etc. it's easy to disparage the human race but I think we could do with giving ourselves a bit of a pat on the back every now and then for the things we've actually achieved.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I want a reality show made where the flat earth society member search for the end of the earth.

My work colleague believes the 9/11 was a conspiracy because the FBI wanted to see the CIA get a bloody nose due to the lack of shared intelligence in previous terrorist activities.
Although having read and watched the Looming Tower.
9/11 could have been prevented, with shared intelligence.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Another thing about conspiracy theories is, who cares really? Imagine if any of them were true, if 9/11 was an inside job, we didn't go to the moon, the earth was flat etc, none of that would make any difference to my life.

What are the people who believe them actually doing about it other than whining on Internet forums?
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Mark James wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:24 pm What are the people who believe them actually doing about it other than whining on Internet forums?
Giving some meaning to their pointless, empty lives.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Unfortunately a lot of the stuff was deleted, but there's also this thread.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:36 pm Unfortunately a lot of the stuff was deleted, but there's also this thread.
Those were the days.
RB DoD , Jon Corby and Charlie.
Pure Bantz as my daughter would say
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Stolen from another poster on another forum.

"Attempts of proof are frequently met with obdurate denials. Take a look at the denial of the tobacco companies regarding the demonstrations that their products caused cancer as an example. It is abundantly clear that deniers will not readily admit their biases until the issue had been so conclusively demonstrated that the deniers have moved to a different topic and then mostly refuse to acknowledge their prior denials.

"I do not plan to waste my time attempting to offer up proof to obdurate deniers. They need to get their act together and find their own evidence. Their denial of bias results in a lack of credibility that they need to deal with. It's really not my problem."
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil H wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:32 pm Stolen from another poster on another forum.

"Attempts of proof are frequently met with obdurate denials. Take a look at the denial of the tobacco companies regarding the demonstrations that their products caused cancer as an example. It is abundantly clear that deniers will not readily admit their biases until the issue had been so conclusively demonstrated that the deniers have moved to a different topic and then mostly refuse to acknowledge their prior denials.

"I do not plan to waste my time attempting to offer up proof to obdurate deniers. They need to get their act together and find their own evidence. Their denial of bias results in a lack of credibility that they need to deal with. It's really not my problem."
Most deniers I know , think they have their evidence though.
Look at all the ' evidence ' on the JFK conspiracy.

It's like trying to tell a devout Christian that the Bible should be found in the fiction section and that there is no god.
I do agree that last statement is conjecture on my part.