Paranormal

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Kirk Bevins
God

Paranormal

Post by Kirk Bevins »

So - let's continue the debate about the paranormal.

I was just watching a 40 minute documentary on youtube about ghosts and can't find it now. The enfield poltergeist case was also on youtube but that no longer seems to exist, although you can still watch it on 4od.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Paranormal

Post by Jon Corby »

hatton02 wrote:I was just watching a 40 minute documentary on youtube about ghosts and can't find it now. The enfield poltergeist case was also on youtube but that no longer seems to exist, although you can still watch it on 4od.
ZOMG, how spooky is that?

Does it cost anything to watch documentaries on 4OD? I've read a few bits about the Enfield one on the net and am pretty keen to watch it now. Sounds hilarious, I mean fascinating.

One particularly interesting thing I read was about Guy Lyon Playfair, one of the original investigators from the PRS. Have you seen the books he's written? Lots of stuff about ghosties, and even one with (well-debunked renowned faker) Uri Geller. Doesn't bode well for his testimony if you ask me...
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

I have a book on the paranormal. I didn't buy it, it just appeared on my book shelf one morning. :D
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Hiyo,

For all this kind of stuff I'd refer immediately to why James Randi's million dollar prize has as yet not been claimed by positive proof of the paranormal. I believe there was work done some place on whether infrasound ( below the level of what we can hear ) could be the reason for odd sensations at apparently haunted sites... along with the power of suggestion of course.

DC

Ignore the below, they're little tests for stuff.

wwww
iiii

═      ═
Cat dog.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Anyway, I think we all want to know what happened in Stoke on Saturday night Kirk?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I can tell you.

It was cancelled. The medium got sick. She can talk to the dead but she can't cure the common cold. Sucks to be her.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ginger Jono wrote:I can tell you.

It was cancelled. The medium got sick. She can talk to the dead but she can't cure the common cold. Sucks to be her.
This thread has been disappointingly quiet. Can you use it as a sort of journal please Kirk, I'm dying to know what adventures you've been up to :)

Edit: Why did I quote that?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ghost Soc haven't had any more events so I can't comment on anything just yet but I'll be sure to post something for you to take the mick out of when something does arise.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Ghost Soc
:D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was invited to a ghost weekend or something for someone's 30th birthday once but it cost too much money - presumably to do with the magic ghost-detecting equipment.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Did anyone watch Horizon this evening? They had this chap on it who reckons that there is evidence of "precognition". His name was Dean Radin, which immediately made me suspicious that it was a joke as it is an anagram of Randi (as in James Randi). Then they had these fighter pilots on, one of which was called something like Snodgrass. Then in summing up at the end of the programme they said to be careful about being manipulated (i.e. by this Radin character). They didn't explicitly own up to a joke though.

But then if you look up Dean Radin on Google, he seems to be real. I don't believe what he says, but I'm surprised that it was not just a cheap joke (more an ongoing joke over several years :mrgreen:).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Do you still do this Kirky?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I've signed up to Ghost Soc for this year and they said they might do some more events but we shall see. I'm still open minded about all this stuff which is rather unlike me.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I watched Living TV this Halloween and was pissing myself at the spookable idiots on Most Haunted during a seance making funny moanoing noises and going "Eep something brushed past me!" with some sort of electric thingy makings hoots and clicks in the background for dramatic effect. Some people...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I watched Living TV this Halloween and was pissing myself at the spookable idiots on Most Haunted during a seance making funny moanoing noises and going "Eep something brushed past me!" with some sort of electric thingy makings hoots and clicks in the background for dramatic effect. Some people...
Mate, do some glasswork in a notoriously haunted building. When you ask the spirit questions questions it stops the glass moving to answer them. Your friends aren't stopping it as you're all sceptics. That is weird I tell you.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Mate, do some glasswork in a notoriously haunted building. When you ask the spirit questions questions it stops the glass moving to answer them. Your friends aren't stopping it as you're all sceptics. That is weird I tell you.
Why do your friends even have to be touching the glass though? And why do you, for that matter? :roll:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Mate, do some glasswork in a notoriously haunted building. When you ask the spirit questions questions it stops the glass moving to answer them. Your friends aren't stopping it as you're all sceptics. That is weird I tell you.
Why do your friends even have to be touching the glass though? And why do you, for that matter? :roll:
The serious answer is so the spirit can channel their energies through you and communicate. They may not be strong enough to move a glass on its own so uses your energy to help it do that. You gotta admit (if it happens to you) that it's damn weird and it gets you thinking.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:The serious answer is so the spirit can channel their energies through you and communicate. They may not be strong enough to move a glass on its own so uses your energy to help it do that.
Leaves me wondering what the "non-serious" answer might be, but nonetheless your Enfield poltergeist used to hurl chairs and ashtrays around, and levitate teenage girls. Can't you replace the glass with something really light that they could move? Surely there must be some kind of mechanism that they would be "strong enough" to operate, that doesn't have a sentient being attached to it? Would it still work if I blindfolded you all and moved the letters around so you didn't know where anything was?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:The serious answer is so the spirit can channel their energies through you and communicate. They may not be strong enough to move a glass on its own so uses your energy to help it do that.
Leaves me wondering what the "non-serious" answer might be, but nonetheless your Enfield poltergeist used to hurl chairs and ashtrays around, and levitate teenage girls. Can't you replace the glass with something really light that they could move? Surely there must be some kind of mechanism that they would be "strong enough" to operate, that doesn't have a sentient being attached to it? Would it still work if I blindfolded you all and moved the letters around so you didn't know where anything was?
Ah, now you're talking about ouija boards - something different. Apparently it doesn't work when blindfolded and a reason is that spirits don't have eyes so need to use yours to see the letters, which, to me, sounds nonsense.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

If you believe this shit, you might as well believe religion as well.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:If you believe this shit, you might as well believe religion as well.
No!! They are not the same thing and shouldn't be lumped in together.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Ah, now you're talking about ouija boards - something different.
Oh right - how does your glasswork (supposedly) work then? Do you just give it "yes/no" questions, and it either moves or doesn't?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:If you believe this shit, you might as well believe religion as well.
They both fall into the category of retarded things that people do, unlike going to the theatre or masturbation.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Why do your friends even have to be touching the glass though? And why do you, for that matter? :roll:
The serious answer is so the spirit can channel their energies through you and communicate. They may not be strong enough to move a glass on its own so uses your energy to help it do that. You gotta admit (if it happens to you) that it's damn weird and it gets you thinking.
Would it work with monkeys instead of people? What would they spell out? I suspect it would just be a string of random letters, wouldn't it?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
They're both motivated by the line of thought "I don't understand something, therefore it must be magic", where magic is taken to be God, spirit forces or whatever. The only difference is that ouija boards don't give you the comforting news that you'll be reunited with your childhood pets after death.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

jimbentley wrote:Would it work with monkeys instead of people? What would they spell out? I suspect it would just be a string of random letters, wouldn't it?
Haha, I like that!

Maybe they would just get monkey spirits though, who hence wouldn't be able to spell anyway?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:
jimbentley wrote:Would it work with monkeys instead of people? What would they spell out? I suspect it would just be a string of random letters, wouldn't it?
Haha, I like that!

Maybe they would just get monkey spirits though, who hence wouldn't be able to spell anyway?
Nah, the monkey spirits would have obtained mystical powers in the afterlife, such as being able to spell and do hard sums, and play the piano.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Is Paul Howe a monkey ghost? :o
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Numerous scientific studies have been done on ouija boards, and it was found that if you blindfold the participants then you end up with a load of meaningless shite nearly every time. That happens anyway, but still.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Hunter wrote:Numerous scientific studies have been done on ouija boards, and it was found that if you blindfold the participants then you end up with a load of meaningless shite nearly every time. That happens anyway, but still.
:o

It's almost as if people want things to happen, and enjoy being scared. Especially having paid for the privilege.

Anyone read "Attack of The Unsinkable Rubber Ducks"? It's an interesting take on psychics. http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/book11.htm
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles