The Erosion of Manners

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

The Erosion of Manners

Post by Marc Meakin »

Is it just me (I'm in my mid fifties ) or has basic manners like please and thank you, saying sorry when you bump into someone, letting passengers get off the train first.
Even queuing is a dying art.
Especially in London.
Now London, especially East London is about as diverse and cosmopolitan as you get so maybe I should only associate the above customs and manners with being British, especially the queuing.
Rant over.
Let's get back to the Basketball
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: The Erosion of Manners

Post by Ian Volante »

No, I find youngsters nowadays as well-mannered as I've ever experienced.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

It's not even about youngsters tbh its people generally.
I was trying to establish if queuing and letting people off first was an English thing.
Even the custom of keeping left in corridors etc doesn't happen anymore and I must stress this only in London
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I don't think it's gotten better or worse overall. London though is a nightmare. I was on the underground and was trying to ask people if I was on the right platform. Everyone I asked blanked me until a Romanian guy who had seen me get ignored came rushing up to me to let me know I was on the right platform and said "don't mind those cunts. Londoners won't talk to anyone".

As for queueing, I'm a bit more of a stickler for queueing than the norm in ireland (although I think we're getting better at making people respect the queue), but yis take queueing in the UK to the next level. I've seen British people in Dublin absolutely perplexed that you can get on a bus from any direction.

I was also in a busy queue in KFC in Newcastle. There was about 5 other queues and the one next to the one I was in became free. The girl behind the counter was saying "next please". I expected at the very least the second person in my queue to move across but nobody would leave their queue. The girl must have asked three or four times and no one moved so I did and got abuse for skipping the queue.