Why don't you like basketball?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Why don't you like basketball?

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 am

Most recreational basketball is outdoors for facilities reasons, in all countries. The wind makes such an impact on shooting that the pro game is played inside, though.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3170
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Why don't you like basketball?

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:26 am

Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 am
Most recreational basketball is outdoors for facilities reasons, in all countries. The wind makes such an impact on shooting that the pro game is played inside, though.
Is that due to the diet.
Sorry couldn't resist
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4151
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Why don't you like basketball?

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:07 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 am
I would like to know the percentage of 6 foot 7 plus people living in the UK.
I suspect that answer will explain the lack of participation.
But never give up as it has taken decades for America to accept soccer as a viable sport and I suspect come 2026 they may come close to winning the darn thing.
Second most participated-in team sport in the country, fun fact. Even more than cricket!
That's not true any more (if it ever was).
The most recent data I could find has Basketball behind Football, Rugby, Netball and Cricket.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Why don't you like basketball?

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:06 pm

It would appear my number is teenagers only, apologies.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Why don't you like basketball?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:02 pm
Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:07 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 am
I would like to know the percentage of 6 foot 7 plus people living in the UK.
I suspect that answer will explain the lack of participation.
But never give up as it has taken decades for America to accept soccer as a viable sport and I suspect come 2026 they may come close to winning the darn thing.
Second most participated-in team sport in the country, fun fact. Even more than cricket!
That's not true any more (if it ever was).
The most recent data I could find has Basketball behind Football, Rugby, Netball and Cricket.
That's just "funded sport" whatever that is. Probably doesn't take into account people just turning up somewhere and playing.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Why don't you like basketball?

Post by Mark James » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Sorry Mark. I'm really trying not to be antagonistic. I appreciate what you're trying to do. It might not be for me, certainly in terms of watching the game as a spectator sport, but I hope it continues to grow in popularity. The more sports the better. As I said I'd quite like to play a game of it myself but no one I know is interested. I'd also love to try various other sports that I both watch and don't enjoy watching.
Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 am
Mark, I'm not sure what you want acceptance of your opinion to look like.
Well, when I say that the high rate of scoring chances diminishes the tension and I explain why, instead of saying "No it doesn't", maybe say, "Ok, I see your point" and believe that's the actual reason. Instead you doubted that was the reason and tried to show a clip of a "low scoring" game as a kind of a gotcha (don't get me wrong I'm not saying it was done in any malicious way, I appreciate your trying to come to some kind of understanding of where people are coming from and weren't just asking me either), ie. people say they don't like basketball because of high scoring but here's a low scoring game that they didn't like either so it mustn't be that. I was just pointing out that no, that game still suffered from the same high chance creation/score.

Now we could keep delving and ask why games with frequent scoring chances have that effect on me or others but personal taste can't really be explained. Sure culture can play a part but while you could explain someone's love of a thing because they come form a certain culture, you still can't explain why some cultures like certain things in the first place. Like, someone might like cricket because they're from India but why do Indians like cricket? However..
Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 am
As best I can tell, it seems to be because low scoring is so normalised on these two islands of ours
..I don't even think that's true either. Football (maybe Hockey and Rugby are low scoring? With Rugby the scores are kind of only artificially high but Rugby league encourages frequent possession turnover at least) is really the only low scoring game in the British isles. I already stated I don't like GAA sports for the same reason I don't like Basketball. Both hurling and Gaelic football are high scoring games that change possession often and culturally they're the most popular sports where I come from so it can't be that. Now, if someone who liked either of those games said they didn't like Basketball because it's high scoring then yeah, you'd have to doubt that was the reason.
And so that is why I feel it is something underpinned by culture, media, and implied anti-Americanism
Not too sure on this one either. Culture maybe, media for sure (more media exposure to basketball would improve it's popularity no doubt) but Anti-Americansim? Maybe to a tiny extent but American Football has grown much bigger over the years. And as I said on a personal level I love Baseball. Also I think a lot of British people are standing shoulder to shoulder with American Sports people in reaction to Trump's America and are getting lots of positive exposure that way. I love LeBron James for example, I just don't happen to enjoy watching him play Basketball.
Alright Mr Shouty...
Again, sorry if that's how it came across. For what it's worth I hate the tall argument myself. When I played in school I wasn't half bad at the game but I was one of the perennial picked last for most games and I kept trying to tell people I was good but they'd always pick the tall lad ahead of me even though he was crap. So I'm with you that it would be great to change the perception that you have to be tall to play the game.

I'm just saying you'll have a job on your hands to do so when the average height of the players within the most prominent exposure people have with the sport is not just a bit, but way above the human average. Pointing out the outliers isn't a strong enough case. Anyway good look with the endeavor.

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4151
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Why don't you like basketball?

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:15 pm
That's just "funded sport" whatever that is.
Funded sport means sports that get government funding.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:15 pm
Probably doesn't take into account people just turning up somewhere and playing.
It does.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest