Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Post by Marc Meakin »

Just heard the UK entrant and it ain't too bad.
Mind you ,Ed Sheeran could perform with Adele and we still wouldn't get in the top ten.
Still gonna watch it.
Might make it interesting this year by running a sweepstake.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Post by Matt Morrison »

I have zero interest in Eurovision but did just look up quickly who the entrant was just in case it was someone I'd heard of. It wasn't - "SuRie" (shit name) - but Deeks might have. Born in 1989 and raised in Bishop's Stortford according to Wikipedia.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

https://youtu.be/2Szy0pPN_c0
Agreed Matt, shit name but ok song
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

(Where's Martin Bishop gone these days?)

SuRie was a backing singer for Belgium in 2015 and 2017, so she has loads of Eurovision experience (and, it would seem, has sung "Rhythm Inside" (Belgium 2015) at every opportunity).

Hot favourite until last night was Israel, but Cyprus (!) has now overtaken them in the odds. Have to say I can't see either winning and my money's on an each-way bet for Sweden, whose song, "Dance You Off", is my favourite this year.

UK viewers may be interested in Saraa Aalto, who finished second in the X Factor in 2016, who represents Finland with the wonderful "Monsters".
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Saraa' Aalto has a great voice
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:44 pmmy money's on an each-way bet for Sweden, whose song, "Dance You Off", is my favourite this year.
I heard Abba are making a comeback so I presume this is their entry.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Someone said to me that ABBA were reforming
I assumed they meant they were going to be called BABA or BAAB
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

or ABBA
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:44 pmmy money's on an each-way bet for Sweden, whose song, "Dance You Off", is my favourite this year.
I heard Abba are making a comeback so I presume this is their entry.
Alas, no. It’s relative unknown Benjamin Ingrosso.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Lots of my faves were given the boot last night- FYR Macedonia, Switzerland (in particular whom I voted for several times as she delivered a great performance with a great song, and plus they have been underrated for a few years now) and also sad that Azerbaijan and Belgium did not pass. Most shocking qualifiers for me were Lithuania, Ireland and Albania (the latter I voted for) because I thought the first 2 were write-offs when they were first released for qualification.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Tom S wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 am Lots of my faves were given the boot last night- FYR Macedonia, Switzerland (in particular whom I voted for several times as she delivered a great performance with a great song, and plus they have been underrated for a few years now) and also sad that Azerbaijan and Belgium did not pass. Most shocking qualifiers for me were Lithuania, Ireland and Albania (the latter I voted for) because I thought the first 2 were write-offs when they were first released for qualification.
This is why I don't usually bother watching the semi-finals these days, everything I think might stand a chance in the main contest seems to get knocked out at this stage.
Matt Morrison wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 pm I have zero interest in Eurovision but did just look up quickly who the entrant was just in case it was someone I'd heard of. It wasn't - "SuRie" (shit name) - but Deeks might have. Born in 1989 and raised in Bishop's Stortford according to Wikipedia.
I don't think SuRie will come close to winning but Eurovision-wise I don't think it's that bad an entry, certainly the UK's strongest (i.e. most in tune with what does well in the contest) for a while. I'm slightly biased though, as I won a few quid betting on her in the UK heats earlier in the year. I might put a quid on each-way for Saturday as there are attractive odds available with some bookies. You can get 200/1 with Paddy Power or bet365, although William Hill are only giving 66/1. This is interesting as William Hill have the longest history of taking the contest seriously as a betting event and their odds tend to provide the most historically accurate reflection of who is going to do well.

As for the winner, there's a real consensus between all the bookies I've checked so far: 1st and 2nd will be between Cyprus and Norway, 3rd and 4th between Israel and France, with the only other realistic contenders being Lithuania and Sweden. This may change of course, especially if there's a surprise in the second semi-final tonight.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

JimBentley wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:15 pm
Tom S wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 am Lots of my faves were given the boot last night- FYR Macedonia, Switzerland (in particular whom I voted for several times as she delivered a great performance with a great song, and plus they have been underrated for a few years now) and also sad that Azerbaijan and Belgium did not pass. Most shocking qualifiers for me were Lithuania, Ireland and Albania (the latter I voted for) because I thought the first 2 were write-offs when they were first released for qualification.
This is why I don't usually bother watching the semi-finals these days, everything I think might stand a chance in the main contest seems to get knocked out at this stage.
Matt Morrison wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 pm I have zero interest in Eurovision but did just look up quickly who the entrant was just in case it was someone I'd heard of. It wasn't - "SuRie" (shit name) - but Deeks might have. Born in 1989 and raised in Bishop's Stortford according to Wikipedia.
I don't think SuRie will come close to winning but Eurovision-wise I don't think it's that bad an entry, certainly the UK's strongest (i.e. most in tune with what does well in the contest) for a while. I'm slightly biased though, as I won a few quid betting on her in the UK heats earlier in the year. I might put a quid on each-way for Saturday as there are attractive odds available with some bookies. You can get 200/1 with Paddy Power or bet365, although William Hill are only giving 66/1. This is interesting as William Hill have the longest history of taking the contest seriously as a betting event and their odds tend to provide the most historically accurate reflection of who is going to do well.

As for the winner, there's a real consensus between all the bookies I've checked so far: 1st and 2nd will be between Cyprus and Norway, 3rd and 4th between Israel and France, with the only other realistic contenders being Lithuania and Sweden. This may change of course, especially if there's a surprise in the second semi-final tonight.
Our song appears to be slated by the fan community for being too generic with cliched lyrics, which is why I am hoping for 25th up. But I agree with Jim because it is nice and catchy and SuRie is totally personable and one of the best ambassadors we've sent in years (her Twitter and Instagram feeds are very entertaining), plus I like our staging and the backing singers our strong. I still think we will come last due to this (imo) unnecessary hate many Eurofans have towards our entry this year, but the backing vocals lift the song and atm it is like the only fully uptempo song which has been drawn in the first half.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Is it supposed to be a SuBo reference or something
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:39 pm Is it supposed to be a SuBo reference or something
It is a combo of her names Susanna Marie.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, I think you guys do it wrong when you swot up on all the songs beforehand and get all into it. I think the idea of Eurovision is that a song is supposed to hit you on a first hearing - i.e. on the night - and if you hear it loads beforehand you'll become overfamiliar with it, and you might come to like it after it's "grown on you". But if it has to grow on you, it's a loser. Best to ignore the whole thing and then just watch the final - or go to CO:LON, and watch it on the iPlayer later if you can be bothered.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Think Cyprus may be taking the crown this evening. She seems incredibly popular.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Right gonna pick the top 5 in no particular order
Australia, Israel , Hungary, Netherlands and UK , sympathy vote
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

I think the leaderboard last night is just a demonstration of how horribly contrived the contest has become. Whilst perhaps our song wasn't winner material, there is absolutely no way it was bottom 3 at all considering some of the entries there was. It's probably the most disappointing Eurovision I've ever watched in my life - the winner was such a horrible song in my opinion and it seems I'm not the only one who thinks this. Also, she seems to think it will be hosted in Jerusalem next year - a very poor mistake if they do as that definitely will cause tensions considering Jerusalem is a very disputed religious area between Israel and Palestine, Tel Aviv would be a much better choice for the hosting.

I think next year we should as a country refuse to fund it and just take our chances in the semi finals - if we're not even going to get a fair vote (ie only how good the song is influences the vote) then I'd much sooner see the money we spend on Eurovision spent on something else.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

She did fab fending off that stage invader tosser.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Well I made a tenner on Israel's win. I can only assume that Sweden's entry was performed a hell of a lot better on the Friday, as it was terrible on the Saturday, and I'm glad the televotes recognised that.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:56 pm Just heard the UK entrant and it ain't too bad.
Mind you ,Ed Sheeran could perform with Adele and we still wouldn't get in the top ten.
Still gonna watch it.
Might make it interesting this year by running a sweepstake.
The BBC actually rejected the Austrian song which topped the jury vote. They obviously have good ears.