Stand-up comedy

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Stand-up comedy

Post by Matt Morrison »

The whole blocking Meakin from threads is bullshit these days. But here's another.

Can a mod please move the last 4 posts from Meakin thread into here? viewtopic.php?p=176200#p176196

Thanks.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Stand-up comedy

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've seen quite a lot of stand-up over the years, but not that much recently. I liked Stewart Lee and Richard Herring when they were on Fist of Fun etc., and I also like their stand-up. Robin Ince is pretty good too. And Doug Stanhope as Mark James mentioned. There's loads actually. It's difficult to pick favourites.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 pm There's alot I don't like but I'd still have to give credit to. McEntire would be one. He's not for me but he's clearly good at what he does. I find as well that if you're good on panel shows you're less likely to be good in an hour special and vice versa. I like the scenes we'd like to see bit on Mock the Week but can't stand watching most of those comedians in their own act. Even Frankie Boyle was much better on that than in his own shows.

My most hated comedians (besides those right wing conservative reactionaries that call themselves comedians even though they aren't really like Steven Crowder) are Lee Mack and Russell Howard.
I'd agree that a lot of people who are good on panel shows aren't as good at actual stand-up. I'd say McIntyre is better at stand-up though. Sean Lock is another who's definitely better at panel shows, and I'd agree on Frankie Boyle.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Oh yeah. McIntyre is awful on panel shows, definitely one of the examples of being better at one than the other. Lock would be an exception to the rule for me. I enjoy him doing both. Also panel show hosts tend to get away with it ie. Dara O'Briain and Jimmy Carr. (I don't like Carr all that much but at least he doesn't act persecuted for doing edgy stuff the way Gervais does)

Another one I forgot that I hated was Jason Byrne. He's dreadful.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thanks Gevin.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sean Locke is less funny at stand up since he has been on panel shows.
People like Milton Jones is still good live but he limits his panel show appearances.
I think some people have funny bones and consistently make me laugh like Johnny Vegas or Bill Bailey.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm considering going to Stanhope when he comes to London later in the year, it's just pretty damn expensive. But as far as "pretty damn expensive" goes, I regretted not going to see Louis C.K. when he came a couple of years ago, and look how that worked out.

Some of my favourite comedians, ones I could probably not get bored of seeing very often: Tony Law, Tim Key, James Acaster, Adam Buxton.

Some others I've seen on the 'undercard' as it were, and now would like to see again: Tom Ward, Fin Taylor, David Trent, Kevin Eldon (knew him well obviously but didn't expect his stand up to be so good for some reason), Andy Zaltzman.

A couple I had high hopes for but were a bit hit and miss (though far from terrible... probably off days): Paul Foot, Simon Munnery, Richard Herring.

On the list to see at some point: David Cross, Paul Gadd.

Other ones I've seen that didn't let me down: Stewart Lee, Bill Bailey, Nick Helm, Jack Dee, Phil Wang.

Just horrible: Joz Norris.

That's all I can remember for the moment that are worth mentioning.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh, think I might have mentioned this elsewhere but seeing Henning Wehn in a small club before he was famous (or heard of, at all) was quite an experience. Everyone stony silent and thinking he was just some weird German who'd walked in off the street unprepared - except for me and one friend who were the only ones who seemed to get him and found it hilarious.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just like to add this story. I follow my local football team around the country and we were on the supporters bus coming home from a particularly long away trip. It had been a poor match and we were beaten and the mood wasn't the best but one of the lads started to look up Tim Vine jokes on his phone. The phone was being passed around and people were reading out their favourite joke. It was great. The whole bus was in hysterics.

I think it's an under appreciated skill to write those kind of one liner jokes that anyone can tell. Trying to tell a Milton Jones or Mitch Hedberg joke, which are similar in structure to Vine, doesn't sound as good. Their unique delivery makes it whereas Vine just does classic gags anyone can do.

The one that slaughtered us was: I was in my local record store. I said, what do you have by the Doors. He said a bucket of sand and a fire blanket.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Never liked Louis C.K. for some reason. Everyone expected me to, knowing my taste but I didn't get it. Maybe some sort of Spidey Sense was tingling.

Tim Key is another I abhorr. Poetry is up there with ventriloquism as the most useless art form. Just write a tune to go with lyrics or fuck off.

Having said that, stand ups doing comedy songs is another bugbear. David O'Doherty is just about tolerable but beyond Denis Leary's "Asshole" I can't be dealing with it.

I don't mind funny bands like Spinal Tap and Flight of the Conchords, or stuff like the songs in South Park but if I go to a comedy gig and there's an acoustic guitar on a stand that will be unleashed at some stage, I despair.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Tim Minchin and Bill Bailey are probably the best musical comics.
Of course back in the day Jasper Carrott wasn't too bad.

Another comic good at the one liners is Stu Francis ( the Canadian, not the British one )
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:11 pmOn the list to see at some point: David Cross, Paul Gadd.
Isn't that Gary Glitter's real name?

I think Mitch Benn is a very good musical comedian by the way.

Edit - Just checked and it is. There is a Richard Gadd though.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Freud, get over here! Not sure what happened there, but yes - Richard.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Mark James wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:14 pm Vine just does classic gags anyone can do.

The one that slaughtered us was: I was in my local record store. I said, what do you have by the Doors. He said a bucket of sand and a fire blanket.
My favourite Tim Vine gag: I said to my girlfriend, how do you like my new shirt? It's got cactuses on it. She said, cac-TI. I said, well that's as maybe, but what about the shirt?

Some years ago in Edinburgh I saw a late-night gig by Dan Antopolski ("big name comedian"). He started telling some average gags that got polite laughter. While continuing in this vein, he produced a stack of large cardboard signs (a la Subterranean Homesick Blues), the first of which said "I think the room is bugged". The next one said "Act naturally". Then "Pretend I'm funny". And so on. He continued to do two completely parallel sets - one verbal, one written - and the combination was hilarious.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tim Vine is a favourite of mine too. It can be quite tiring trying to keep up with all the one-liners and not lose concentration, but then he breaks it up with songs or trying to get a pen behind his ear or something.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:46 am Tim Vine is a favourite of mine too. It can be quite tiring trying to keep up with all the one-liners and not lose concentration, but then he breaks it up with songs or trying to get a pen behind his ear or something.
Looking forward to seeing him again in Halifax at the end of next month. :D 8-)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Genuinely don't understand how anyone enjoys Tim Vine...

That's my only real noteworthy thought on this thread. Just that.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:46 pm Genuinely don't understand how anyone enjoys Tim Vine...

That's my only real noteworthy thought on this thread. Just that.
End of anecdote 🙂

I think there are two main types of stand ups, joke tellers and story tellers.
I think now Ken Dodds dead, Time Vine can take the reigns of king of the one liners.

I do agree that he just tells a succession of jokes rather than hones out an actual act with a start, middle and end.
But as I've said earlier, funny is funny and surely even you must have laughed at a Time Vine joke, now and again
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I think the thing about that sort of quick-fire one-liner comedy is that you tend to find yourself lightly tittering throughout. It's kind of vanilla in that, as you say, you'd expect there to be something for everyone, it's pretty easy comedy (to get, not necessarily to write, and Vine is excellent at what he does).

But the cost of being kind of shallow, universally appealing, and so temporary, means you just don't get the hilarious memorable events you can get from a proper/traditional/story/structured stand up routine. I've cried with laughter at plenty of stand ups but the one-liner approach, even a perfectly executed showsworth of them, is never going to get the sort of reaction you can (potentially) get from riffing on one particular subject for a while and getting deeper into it.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I largely agree Matt. As much as I like his jokes I probably wouldn't enjoy an actual Tim Vine gig. I think the way we experienced them on the bus that time added to the enjoyment of them. They're like what Norm MacDonald calls classic street jokes, the kind you tell in the pub but wouldn't really work in stand up show. When he's on talk shows Norm will tell those kind of jokes but he doesn't do them in his actual show.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Time Vine doesn't just do one-liners though. He mixes it up with other stuff. But I'd agree that a one-liner comedian would probably never be my absolute favourite, although a top one-liner is still better than most non-one-liner comedians. I also like to see a mix of different comedy, rather than saying "I like x comedy, so I'm going to see as many people as I can that fit this mould".
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Stewart Francis can make me howl occasionally. I do still agree with the general phenomenon that it's harder to be blown away by a constant barrage of one-liner jokes, but he can really make me laugh.

Tim Vine, just... no tbh. I think it must be something about that family, cos Jeremy does my fucking nut in too.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 am Stewart Francis can make me howl occasionally. I do still agree with the general phenomenon that it's harder to be blown away by a constant barrage of one-liner jokes, but he can really make me laugh.

Tim Vine, just... no tbh. I think it must be something about that family, cos Jeremy does my fucking nut in too.
Agree with you about Jeremy Vine, can't watch eggheads now, although having hated Nick Hewer, at first, have slowly warmed to him although I do want to punch him when he says the K word during series finals
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Bill Burr is hilarious.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Anyone else find that the comedians you really like give crap recommendations for other comedians you should check out? Stewart Lee's Alternative comedy experience featured loads of acts that he praised but I couldn't stand. I just wanted to watch him.

And just tonight I saw a video of my current favourite, Norm MacDonald, recommeding Brian Reagan as the best comedian working today. I watched a bit of his stuff and it raised a few chuckles but nowhere close to blowing me away in the same way when I first saw Norm. And funnily enough it was lesser comedians that turned me on to Norm in the first place.

I guess it's a modesty thing or something. You can hardly come out and say I recommend so and so but they're not as good as me.

And, somewhat controversially, I have to admit I never got why Richard Pryor was held in such high esteem. He's good and all but the way other comics talk about him I think is over the top. I prefer him in movies than in stand up. Kind of like Lenny Bruce, I can appreciate how groundbreaking and influential he and Pryor were but I just don't think they're as funny. Certainly nowhere near as good as Carlin who would have been close to a contemporary and yet hasn't aged anyway near as much.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I too found Richard Prior to be not that funny I much prefer Robin Williams stand up.
Don't take much notice of Comedians recommendations as they are a bit hit and miss ( similar with Authors that do the same ) I prefer word of mouth from friends.

Also I've seldom seen a female comic that consistently makes me laugh....so would be interested in any recommendations.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

I agree that George Carlin's comedy has aged much better than Richard Pryor's, but when Pryor came along no-one had done stand up like that. Maybe he gets too much credit, but I've never laughed as much as I did when I first saw "Richard Pryor Live".
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I would say that given the topics on this forum right now, anyone who has done stand-up comedy about cruelty in horse racing must be pretty good.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:07 pm I would say that given the topics on this forum right now, anyone who has done stand-up comedy about cruelty in horse racing must be pretty good.
I tried it once, but it was like flogging a dead horse.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

With all that whipping and cruelty, no wonder they have a long face
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:07 pm I would say that given the topics on this forum right now, anyone who has done stand-up comedy about cruelty in horse racing must be pretty good.
I'll do your dirty work for you, you whore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL2EpfD9Wvs
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

So I saw Bill Burr and Doug Stanhope in the last week. Burr was excellent. Stanhope was more hit and miss. Some of his stuff is just outrageous for the sake of it without actually attaching a joke to it. He did do the best part of two hours though so you got your money's worth. Would recommend seeing both.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

After watching Snowflake by Stewart Lee, I have to say he is my currently my favourite living stand-up (since Sean Locke passed away).
Im going to see his Basic Lee at The Leicester Square theatre next month and probably will catch him on tour.
Racking my brains the last stand up I saw was Count Arthur Strong in 2018.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Just on the train back from the Greenwich Comedy Festival which had Rosie Jones, Reginald D Hunter and Milton Jones. And someone I hadn't heard of whose name I can't recall.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:48 pm Snowflake
Utter utter utter utter utter utter shite
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:26 am
Yeah that part seem to surpass its optional length.

https://youtu.be/1JFXHs_Efe8
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:16 pm Just on the train back from the Greenwich Comedy Festival which had Rosie Jones, Reginald D Hunter and Milton Jones. And someone I hadn't heard of whose name I can't recall.
Oh you got an alibi then 😊
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:32 am
Yeah that part seem to surpass its optional length.

https://youtu.be/1JFXHs_Efe8
Yeah, maybe but the fasle Widow segment more than made up for it
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

https://youtu.be/OM_lZF9E9gQ
Worth a watch.
An interesting insight into the stage persons of Stewart Lee.
The Gervais segment in Snowflake was 9 minutes.
Btw Roland Gift has let himself go a bit
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

In context snippets from you tube have let itself go
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

These days, if you say the unsayable, you get arrested and thrown in jail.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Stewart Lee is very good at just repeating himself over and over again and making it funny, but that Ricky Gervais bit was just annoying. I was having a conversation with a friend, and I suggested that he's more style than substance, and he agreed for Snowflake at least.

He glossed over the whole "saying the unsayable" thing and cancel culture with his glib 10-hour joke impression of Ricky Gervais. There is a definitely a thing that people get "cancelled", ostracised, threatened or whatever for saying stuff that goes against the prevailing "liberal" viewpoint. By the way, linking to a video by someone doesn't mean I endorse their views, but someone showed me this by Graham Linehan the other day about Stewart Lee. It was quite amusing/interesting.

Also, when so many people have this one person as their favourite stand-up, you have to be a bit suspicious of that. I think he's good, but there are too many worshippers. I wonder what they'll do when he dies. Set up a queue to walk past his coffin perhaps.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:48 pm Stewart Lee is very good at just repeating himself over and over again and making it funny, but that Ricky Gervais bit was just annoying. I was having a conversation with a friend, and I suggested that he's more style than substance, and he agreed for Snowflake at least.

He glossed over the whole "saying the unsayable" thing and cancel culture with his glib 10-hour joke impression of Ricky Gervais. There is a definitely a thing that people get "cancelled", ostracised, threatened or whatever for saying stuff that goes against the prevailing "liberal" viewpoint. By the way, linking to a video by someone doesn't mean I endorse their views, but someone showed me this by Graham Linehan the other day about Stewart Lee. It was quite amusing/interesting.

Also, when so many people have this one person as their favourite stand-up, you have to be a bit suspicious of that. I think he's good, but there are too many worshippers. I wonder what they'll do when he dies. Set up a queue to walk past his coffin perhaps.
Watched the video
Firstly, Tom Robinson has let himself go.
Secondly, it may be a cop out but "Stewart Lee" is a comedy persona, so he can legitimately hide behind that.
Defending Jerry Sadowitz like that is as bad as defending Donald Trump for censure.
He is an edgy comic who will always court controversy, that's Sadowitz, not Trump
Why should Stewart Lee be singled out anyway when loads of established comedians went to Edinburgh.
The only thing I would expect Lee to Say about Sadowitz is that Brian May has let himself go.

He did make a valid point that cancel culture indeed exists, but there is always Netflix.
I am a good fan of Graham, he wrote the Count Arthur Strong TV show (The Count is still a favourite)
But I can't see why he is aiming his vitriol in this way.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:48 pm By the way, linking to a video by someone doesn't mean I endorse their views, but someone showed me this by Graham Linehan the other day about Stewart Lee. It was quite amusing/interesting.
Absolutely bizarre. Sounds like he has a weird obsession with Stewart Lee. Totally unhinged in that video.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rview.html

Gives context to David Ike, I mean Graham Linehans rant
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Going back to Gevin (surely an online persona) questioning why Lee is so popular is unlike Ben Elton and other left wing comics from the alternative circuit in the 80s, he hasn't sold out, he has honed his craft and slowly got a large loyal following who he goes to great lengths to cater for, He would never go on a panel show or Live at the Apollo, he is his own man
If you watch the podcasts that he has done he acknowledges most of the Comics he slags off have legitimate talent but isn't afraid to call out John Cleese rants about woke culture.
He even agrees The Office was good.
Not sure I agree with his rant about Gervais and the mainly funny and sometimes moving After Life, but I fully expect that his rant is just an extension of his hatred of Netflix

Sorry I've gone off piste I liked him before the woke generation Fist of Fun and This Morning with Richard Not Judy (didn't he/they also put out loads of content in the closing credits you could freeze frame) also of course Jerry Springer the Opera.
Oh and friend of mine from Manila tells me he wrote Blackadder 😂
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

I don’t mind Stewart Lee as a comic most of the time (and he’s infinitely funnier than his comedy partner Richard Herring, who gives me the creeps) but this recent special I don’t think showcases his talent comedically- it’s just him talking about cancel culture- in the currently very polarised world, stand-up comedy should be an escape from all that polarisation and culture war nonsense that’s plaguing the media, whereas all it does now is serve as a reminder of it- you can make topical satire and have it be of a good quality, but think Stewart missed the mark on this occasion.
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Callum Todd wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:54 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:48 pm By the way, linking to a video by someone doesn't mean I endorse their views, but someone showed me this by Graham Linehan the other day about Stewart Lee. It was quite amusing/interesting.
Absolutely bizarre. Sounds like he has a weird obsession with Stewart Lee. Totally unhinged in that video.
Linehan is clearly not a very well man.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Christy Cooper wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:37 am
Callum Todd wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:54 pm
Linehan is clearly not a very well man.
Yes and maybe we should all feel a little guilty about laughing at him.
I know his wife has left him and he may have had alcohol issues
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Tornado finally on BBC2 tonight (29th September 2022)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Bit insensitive given the current news of Hurricane Ian. Best delay the broadcast by another four weeks.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think Tornado was much better than Snowflake. The rotisserie chicken bit was weak though.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:22 pm I think Tornado was much better than Snowflake. The rotisserie chicken bit was weak though.
I liked the whole Dave Chappell skit the best.
Maybe it's because I have been to the Leicester Square Theatre and have worked in the Soho area for years it was funnier for me.
The Chinatown gag was especially funny
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe, I should have put this in the TV thread but did anyone see Friday night live on erm, Friday?
Some good acts but can't not mention Jordan Gray, very funny but still stunned about the spontaneous nakedness playing the keyboard with her (his) penis.
I watched on Saturday and was surprised that the Daily Mail wasn't up in Arms before I watched it
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I did watch it. Overall, I thought it was fairly disappointing.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Yay got my Peter Kay tickets, good seats at the O2, January 6th........2025.
Hope I live long enough to see it
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Really is it 2025? Fucking hell. I'd seen a couple of posts and comments about this tour so knew it was a) happening and b) ridiculously popular, but had no idea it was over 2 years away. I've never heard of the likes of that in any entertainment industry.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Think it's starting in the next couple of months but demand was so high he booked a load of new dates going right into 2025. Madness
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:25 am Really is it 2025? Fucking hell. I'd seen a couple of posts and comments about this tour so knew it was a) happening and b) ridiculously popular, but had no idea it was over 2 years away. I've never heard of the likes of that in any entertainment industry.
Yeah he starts in earnest next month and he is at the 02 once a month from December 2022 until January 2025.
I initially wanted May next year when I'm 60 but only shit tickets miles away were available and online queing is not for me so I picked a date with plenty of seats
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

My daughter is treating me to a stand up gig tomorrow.
Daniel Sloss, haven't heard of him.
Anyone seen his stuff?