Oscars 2018

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Oscars 2018

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Oscars 2018

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thank you kindly sir.
As I don't do copy and paste I will rewrite my original post.

How many of the Oscar nominated films have you seen .
I've seen all but one, Call me by your name.
I will get round to watching it before the Oscars.
Saving til last because it's not the sort of story that would interest me, although that could be said of The Phantom thread which I thoroughly enjoyed.
My tip for the best film Oscar is the Shape of Water, a truly stunning film. Although the film I'd like to see get it is Three Billboards......

I do hope Roger Dealings finally gets an Oscar (11 nominations and counting ) for Bladerunner 2049.

I am looking forward to the ceremony although I do hope that it isn't too politicised.
Still can't believe, though, that Get Out is up for any awards, it is a Meh horror flick at best.
Looking forward to all your views etc.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

give meakin his rights back
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 pm give meakin his rights back
Free the Canterbury one 😀
Mind you if nobody posts in this thread the Administration will be vindicated
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 amMy tip for the best film Oscar is the Shape of Water, a truly stunning film.
I'm guessing you've already heard about the allegations of plagiarism that have been levelled against "The Shape Of Water", Marc? What do you think?

http://hollywoodnerd.com/did-the-shape- ... u-whisper/

The original play was adapted into a TV movie in 1969, it's on Youtube if you want to check it out. For me, it's about as blatant a rip-off as you can get.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 amMy tip for the best film Oscar is the Shape of Water, a truly stunning film.
I'm guessing you've already heard about the allegations of plagiarism that have been levelled against "The Shape Of Water", Marc? What do you think?

http://hollywoodnerd.com/did-the-shape- ... u-whisper/

The original play was adapted into a TV movie in 1969, it's on Youtube if you want to check it out. For me, it's about as blatant a rip-off as you can get.
Very interesting and no I was not aware.
I would guess that he had seen the play as a child and always wanted to make his own version of the tale.
Doesn't detract from the magic of the film, for me though.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

It shouldn't win best original screenplay ( willing to wager Three Billboards will win that ) but the film is none the less beautiful.
The analogy is that My Sweet Lord by George Harrison obviously sounds similar to She's so Fine, but it doesn't make it any less a classic song.

That Said, If the Shape of Water does win the Best Picture Oscar it is probably because the Director is Mexican, rather than it being the best film.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:12 am That Said, If the Shape of Water does win the Best Picture Oscar it is probably because the Director is Mexican, rather than it being the best film.
What if Get Out wins, would it be because "he is black"?
Can no minority ever win an Oscar now without accusations of tokenism? And if they wanted to reward a director in this way wouldn't they give him best director rather than best picture?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I never suggested tokenism, more a case of it would get up trump's nose if a Mexican Won . This is my personal opinion.
Also Denzil Washington's inclusion as best actor in a so so film is purely because James Franco is not flavour of the month.
And Get outs inclusion for best film is definitely tokenism.
I do think however that the Cinematographer nod for Mudbound is richly deserved and the film should have not been overlooked for best picture
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Looking at this year's odds, it's pretty prohibitive in all the major categories due to there being an overwhelming favourite in almost all of them.

Best Actor: Gary Oldman is 1/33, everyone else pretty much whatever price you want;
Best Actress: Frances McDormand is 1/16, with Saoirse Ronan the only other vaguely close (8/1, so not really close at all);
Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell at 1/8, with Willem Dafoe 5/1 and everyone else 20/1 or bigger;
Best Supporting Actress: Alison Janney is 1/6, then Laurie Metcalf at 4/1 and again, all others outside 20/1;
Best Director: Guillermo del Toro at 1/10, Christopher Nolan 6/1, Greta Gerwig 12/1 and the others nowhere.

It's only Best Picture that looks like any sort of race at all and that seems to be between two, with Three Billboards 4/6 and Shape Of Water 7/4. Possibly in with a chance are Lady Bird (10/1) and Get Out (14/1), but everything else except Dunkirk (40/1) is outside 100/1.

Might be worth a couple of quid opposing some of those heavy odds-on favourites, but overall there doesn't look like there's much value to be had here.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I like Mark Kermode's take on Lady Bird winning and 10/1 is a decent price. Think I might have to throw a few quid on.

Surprised he hasn't done a Kermode Uncut about the Shape of Water controversy. A guest reviewer did review the film and never mentioned it, plus the comments section had been disabled on the entire channel so nothing had been said about it from the public's end. Comments seem to be back now though but there's still no comments under the review video yet.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think if The Academy go for the least offensive and ' nicest ' film Then Ladybird has a chance.
I would be mighty surprised though.
I think I will stick my neck out and go for my predictions now
Best Film Three Billboards.....
Best Director, Del Toro , Shape of Water
Best Actress Francis McDorment, Three Billboards
Best Actor Timothee Chalomet, Call me by Your Name
Best Supporting Actor Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards
Best Supporting Actress Alison Janney, I Tonya
Best Original Screenplay, Three Billboards
Best Adapted Screenplay, Call me by Your Name
Only others I will predict are
Roger Dealings Best Cinematographer for Bladerunner 2049 and Jonny Greenwood best Music for Phantom Thread Also hope best sound editing goes to Baby Driver
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Enjoyed the Oscars,
Glad Gary Oldman and Roger Deakins won their Oscars
Disappointed at Get Out robbing Three Billboards of best original screenplay though.
Also pleased Icarus one best documentary, i can recommend it to anyone interesting in doping in sport
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Well I've heard of two of the acting Oscar winners, and recognise one, which probably means I'm even more out of touch than I thought.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:27 pm Well I've heard of two of the acting Oscar winners, and recognise one, which probably means I'm even more out of touch than I thought.
That's how I felt, watching the Brits