Probably won't interest many but....

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Tom S
Kiloposter

Probably won't interest many but....

Post by Tom S »

You may not thank me as you have clicked on my click-bait title.

On the 7th Feb 2018 in the Brighton Dome, The UK will chose 1 out of 6 songs to compete for us at this years Eurovision in Lisbon.
Here are the singers and song titles (BBC going for unknown artists again) and a combo of jury and televoting will select the winner. 5/6 songs appear to have been written at a song camp organised by the beeb - so much so for a national selection, and also features a 16 year old singer (who was probably picked by the Beeb in what must have been a song blind-date) when the rules for application stated that all artists must be 18 and over- so much so for a national selection application process!

Here are the artists and song titles...

Draw Artist Song Songwriter(s)
Asanda "Legends"- Christopher Wortley, Laurell Barker, Roel Rats
Goldstone "I Feel the Love"-Eric Lumiere, Joakim Buddee, Laura White, Roel Rats
Jaz Ellington "You"-Ashley Hicklin, Herman Gardarfve, Laura White
Liam Tamne "Astronaut"-Ashley Hicklin, Jacob Pedersen, Jeanette Bonde, Rune Braager
RAYA "Crazy"-Emil Rosendal Lei, Greta Salóme Stefánsdóttir, Samir Salah Elshafie
SuRie "Storm"-Nicole Blair, Gil Lewis, Sean Hargreaves

Link to the songs : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 07pe2gN7eW

Opinions of this year's Eurovision and our songs appreciated!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Probably won't interest many but....

Post by Marc Meakin »

The best singer is the youngster.
To be fair the singing by all of them is not a problem it's the songs that are dire.
Although tbf. Ed Sheeran could compose and sing one and we still wouldn't win
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 am The best singer is the youngster.
To be fair the singing by all of them is not a problem it's the songs that are dire.
Although tbf. Ed Sheeran could compose and sing one and we still wouldn't win
I don't like her song though :) seems popular with fans on the other hand. My favourite song is "Storm", I can see it becoming a bit Clean-Bandit esque in the chorus should they add some orchestral sounds to the chorus to give it a boost.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 am To be fair the singing by all of them is not a problem it's the songs that are dire.
Fully agree with this.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 amAlthough tbf. Ed Sheeran could compose and sing one and we still wouldn't win
Yeah, his songs are a bit boring. I know that's not your point but the quality of his songs in no way deserve the success they've achieved. It's baffling actually.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The quality of music and lyrics in general are awful at the moment. But as I grew up in the sixties I'm kind of entitled to say that.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

The best song won this evening.....
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Tom S wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm The best song won this evening.....
I agree, although I'm a bit biased as I stuck a few quid on SuRie as soon as I saw how her odds were plummeting.

I've never seen anything quite like it betting-wise. The heavy favourite before anyone sang (Asanda) went from 1/2 to 8/11 to evens while she was singing. Jaz Ellington, who started second favourite, went from 7/4 to 4/1 while he was singing and then quickly sank to 12/1 minutes later. SuRie went from 12/1 to 5/1 before she sang, then went to 5/2 after her performance and headed rapidly to odds-on, finishing up at 1/3 when the betting closed. The rest of them weren't in it. Given it was a public vote, it was easy money.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

JimBentley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:12 pm
Tom S wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm The best song won this evening.....
I agree, although I'm a bit biased as I stuck a few quid on SuRie as soon as I saw how her odds were plummeting.

I've never seen anything quite like it betting-wise. The heavy favourite before anyone sang (Asanda) went from 1/2 to 8/11 to evens while she was singing. Jaz Ellington, who started second favourite, went from 7/4 to 4/1 while he was singing and then quickly sank to 12/1 minutes later. SuRie went from 12/1 to 5/1 before she sang, then went to 5/2 after her performance and headed rapidly to odds-on, finishing up at 1/3 when the betting closed. The rest of them weren't in it. Given it was a public vote, it was easy money.
The decision not to put a bet on SuRie was probably one of the worst I've ever made in my life -I saw she was on 22/1 at one stage and bottom at one point on Oddschecker baffled me. i knew this song had potential on first listen- it may be revamped, and if so this may settle all the Asanda-fans who are currently screaming UK "0 points". But well done to her anyway, it was well deserved and I was very happy with what admittedly was a surprise result for me.... :)