Songs that make you switch off the radio

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Songs that make you switch off the radio

Post by Paul Worsley »

The only time I ever listen to the radio is when I'm driving. My usual choice of stations is Magic FM, Planet Rock and occasionally Classic FM. Every now and then I am forced to switch the radio off because they're playing a track/song I just can't listen to. Off the top of my head these include "Horse with no Name" by America (stupid lyrics), "Leave Right Now" by Will Young (good song, don't really mind Will Young, but he doesn't sing it very well), "When You Say Nothing at All" by Ronan Keating (so inferior to the Alison Krauss version, and it's obviously meant to be sung by a woman). "Cherish" by Kool and the Gang (more terrible lyrics). There are others, I just don't recall them right now.

So what song makes you reach for the off button?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Songs that make you switch off the radio

Post by Mark James »

In Ireland there's no ad free radio stations. That puts me off listening to the radio altogether more than any song. Plus news on the hour. Why are predominantly music based stations required to do the news? As for the actual music I'd say pretty much any sort of chart music from about 1998 onwards would have me reaching for the dial (right now I can only think of a handful of exceptions). I also want to recognise the annual abomination that is Christmas FM, a special wall to wall station of Christmas tunes that pollutes Irish airwaves for a quarter of the year. The fact people will voluntarily listen to that shite makes me pray for a global nuclear apocalypse.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Anything by Weezer. Especially Troublemaker. "Keep it on the up" isn't even a real phrase.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Bastille.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

La donna e mobile - because the Duke is such a loathsome character
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I never listen to the radio by choice - only ever because someone's got it playing in the car or in a shop. But if I could switch off a radio every time it played Don't Stop Believing or Happy, I totally would.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Mark James wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am I also want to recognise the annual abomination that is Christmas FM, a special wall to wall station of Christmas tunes that pollutes Irish airwaves for a quarter of the year.
I forgot about Christmas songs. I doubt that there are enough good Christmas songs to make an hour long programme, let alone a dedicated station. You just end up with endless repeats of Shakin Stevens and "A Spaceman Came Travelling".
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ironically it's Turn Your Radio On by Ray Stevens
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Probably needs its own thread, but on a similar theme : Noises you can't stand.
1) The headphone alarm at work (John Lewis )
2) Cats crying at 2am
3) sloppy kisses by others in public
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I generally only listen tot he radio when in the car. I'm normally quite tolerant of some of the shit that comes out, but recently I switched of a "Little Mix" song that I'd heard quite a few times. I've no idea what it's called but it sounds like they're singing about focaccia. It's basically just noise though. I might also have switched off Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Livin on a Prayer and Dancing Queen mainly.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ian Volante wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:04 pm Livin on a Prayer and Dancing Queen mainly.
Also, Glory Days and Summer of '69. There's clearly something about rose-tinted rock songs that I find particularly loathsome.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 pm Probably needs its own thread, but on a similar theme : Noises you can't stand.
2) Cats crying at 2am
3) sloppy kisses by others in public
People eating, particularly breakfast cereal.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 pm Probably needs its own thread, but on a similar theme : Noises you can't stand.
This sounds very specific to you. But this reminds me - when you're watching a film (or anything) on a plane and they stop it to make some announcement, and the cunts also do the announcement really loudly through your headphones as if they're trying to deafen you. It's not really a single noise as such, but there you go. But anyway, if they're stopping the film including its sound, they don't need to make the announcement through your headphones. Fucking idiots.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yes, it does need a new thread. Can someone else other than me please say "Meakin should be allowed to make threads again now" please? FFS
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:20 pm Yes, it does need a new thread. Can someone else other than me please say "Meakin should be allowed to make threads again now" please? FFS
Maybe I should open a new account
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

A non-mover at number 3: Prince Charming by Adam and the Ants. The introduction sounds like someone projectile vomiting and it goes downhill from there.

Up from last week's 4 to this week's 2: Party Fears Two by The Associates. Great hook but the worst lead vocal of any UK chart single, ever.

And straight in at no. 1: Someone Like You by Adele. Wallowing, self-indulgent misery sung to the same four chords over, and over, and over... Possibly the most overrated song of all time.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:05 am A non-mover at number 3: Prince Charming by Adam and the Ants. The introduction sounds like someone projectile vomiting and it goes downhill from there.

Up from last week's 4 to this week's 2: Party Fears Two by The Associates. Great hook but the worst lead vocal of any UK chart single, ever.

And straight in at no. 1: Someone Like You by Adele. Wallowing, self-indulgent misery sung to the same four chords over, and over, and over... Possibly the most overrated song of all time.
Bit harsh on Adele there.
You reminded me of a song that I turn off, the Pina Colada song
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was in my car yesterday when The Most Beautiful Girl in the World by Prince came on the radio. Yeah, that.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Feels. The lyrics are just plain stupid and the sound effects, too. It's cheapest crap I've heard in a long time.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:08 pm Bit harsh on Adele there.
You reminded me of a song that I turn off, the Pina Colada song
Good call on the Pina Colada song. 1) Man seeks fuck buddy. 2) Meets up and it's his wife. 3) They laugh it off.

Lucky Stars by Dean Friedman is another song that is better substituted by silence.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Girlfriend by Christine and The Queens. It is so monotonous and her voice annoys me in the song. A shame because her other song Tilted is really good. Not many songs give me a headache when it is played, but this does a good job.