Confectionery

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Confectionery

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Like the crisps thread, but with sweets, chocolates etc.

Go.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Confectionery

Post by Marc Meakin »

Good call.
My favourites from a jar are sweet peanuts.
I bought some from an online confectioner and they were white.
Other favourites were coconut mushrooms and cola cubes.
Chocolate bars ( maybe they need a separate thread ) Aztec bars were my favourite or the early Revels with Turkish delights.
My favourite sweets in wrappers were liquorice Spangles and Pacers....A mint starburst type sweet
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

As I said in Meakin's thread I'm not to keen on chocolate anymore. Same with sweets. I think I've lost my sweet tooth as I got older. I'd still have the odd sweet if someone offered me one but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them. I suppose I'd get a pic'n'mix at the cinema but I don't go there too often either. Favourites would be fizzy cola bottles and wine gums.

I did recently go around Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe which has all the old stuff I remember as kid but I didn't end up buying anything, just went for nostalgia. I used to love getting 1/4 of bon bons, kola cubes, apple custards and the like. Actually blackjacks and fruit salads were probably my favourite back then. I preferred chewy ones to sucky ones and I was never a fan of the faomy stuff either like the foam bananas or marshmallow flumps. UFOs were the worst though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I used to be a big fan of Opal Fruits (now the much more shitly named Starburst), but when I became a vegetarian, the fact that they had gelatine in meant that I couldn't eat them. But now they're OK again I think. But nowadays I don't actually think they're that good. They're a bit tough and chewy. I'm also not a big fan of really hard sweets that you have to suck or crunch through.

I haven't got a specific brand/type of sweet that is my number one right now, but I like jelly sweets (without gelatine obviously) and jelly beans are quite nice too. Sweets that you can just bite through and eat like they're normal food. As for flavours - lemon, orange and lime are the best of the standard fruit flavours. Strawberry and pear are a bit shit. Purple ones (blackcurrant or whatever) are OK and sit between the two leagues.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:they had gelatine in meant that I couldn't eat them. But now they're OK again I think [...] They're a bit tough and chewy.
Exactly!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

In 1979, we lived in a flat in Gilberdyke for a few months that was part of a block that contained pretty much all of the village's shops, one of which was a newsagent that had a really impressive range of sweets. Loads of jars of the usual stuff to buy by the quarter: cola bottles, gobstoppers, jelly babies, aniseed balls, chocolate mice, strawberry shoelaces, loads of different kinds of toffee/fudge/boiled sweets, etc. etc., and the counter stuff: Refreshers, bubblegum, love hearts, fruit gums, pastilles, Opal Fruits, parma violets, every chocolate bar you could think of...you get the idea. So for that summer I pretty much spent all my (limited) money on sweets.

For best value, the various kinds of boiled sweets were always the best, as they lasted seemingly forever and a quarter would cost either eight pence (standard), ten pence (normal gobstoppers) or twelve pence (giant gobstoppers). My favourites - both 8p/quarter - were cola cubes (sugar-covered cola-flavoured boiled cubes) but more often these multicoloured round ones called "beach balls" which I've never seen anywhere again since. Basically I suppose they were like a small fruit-flavoured gobstopper and each one would last about half an hour, they were amazing. A quarter of those would easily see you OK for a couple of days.

Also they did fruit chews in various sizes that could be bought in the most minuscule quantities. Although the largest were a penny each, there were smaller ones that were half a pence each and the smallest ones were four for a penny. The shopkeeper guy was quite happy to sell you a penceworth of any of these, even though it can't possibly have been a very profitable enterprise.

Anyway, I still love sweets. And chocolate. I think jelly sweets are my current favourites, especially those "gummy bear" ripoffs that Haribo do. They're great.

NEXT: I shall bore you with my memories of chocolate bars*.

* Nah, I won't really, don't worry
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:they had gelatine in meant that I couldn't eat them. But now they're OK again I think [...] They're a bit tough and chewy.
Exactly!
I think they were already like that.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Don't really like sweets. I'll eat some of them if they're there but would never actively seek them myself. Used to eat an ungodly amount of sherbet on the way to school when I was 11, until my train 'buddies' staged an intervention and banned me from having any - I can't really face it since then.

Green & Black's Butterscotch is the king of chocolate. Also good: Munchies, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (although so much cheaper to make your own), G&B Sea Salt, Toffee Crisp, M&Ms. There's an awesome Mint Aero cheesecake that i made last year for my mum's birthday - really takes the chocolate up 10 levels. Back in the day I was more than partial to a Yorkie, to the extent where my sixth form boyfriend asked me out via the medium of one. (It also involved an empty video case.)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Back in the day I was more than partial to a Yorkie, to the extent where my sixth form boyfriend asked me out via the medium of one.
And your third boyfriend was one.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:NEXT: I shall bore you with my memories of chocolate bars*.

* Nah, I won't really, don't worry
Why wouldn't you?

Like with sweets, I don't have a single favourite chocolate bar or chocolate product. I used to eat Wispas when I was younger. I still like them, but they don't massively stand out. I like orange chocolate. The Lindor orange chocolate ball things are pretty good.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What I find weird is that I've never been able to find any vegetarian/vegan jelly babies. Most other stuff you can get.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:45 pm I used to be a big fan of Opal Fruits (now the much more shitly named Starburst), but when I became a vegetarian, the fact that they had gelatine in meant that I couldn't eat them. But now they're OK again I think. But nowadays I don't actually think they're that good. They're a bit tough and chewy. I'm also not a big fan of really hard sweets that you have to suck or crunch through.

I haven't got a specific brand/type of sweet that is my number one right now, but I like jelly sweets (without gelatine obviously) and jelly beans are quite nice too. Sweets that you can just bite through and eat like they're normal food. As for flavours - lemon, orange and lime are the best of the standard fruit flavours. Strawberry and pear are a bit shit. Purple ones (blackcurrant or whatever) are OK and sit between the two leagues.
I've had some jelly beans recently actually, and they lose marks for sticking to your teeth. So jelly sweets and fruit pastille type things (without gelatine) seem to be winning. These are the Tesco's ones that I have.

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think it may need its own sub thread, but how about mints.
My favourite chewy mints were pacers, sadly no longer available.
Favourite sucky mints are sugar free polos , though if you have more than five at a time you will get the shits
. Favourite chocolate covered mints are Bendicks
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:45 pm I used to be a big fan of Opal Fruits (now the much more shitly named Starburst), but when I became a vegetarian, the fact that they had gelatine in meant that I couldn't eat them. But now they're OK again I think. But nowadays I don't actually think they're that good. They're a bit tough and chewy. I'm also not a big fan of really hard sweets that you have to suck or crunch through.

I've had some jelly beans recently actually, and they lose marks for sticking to your teeth. So jelly sweets and fruit pastille type things (without gelatine) seem to be winning. These are the Tesco's ones that I have.

Now those are properly nice.

Btw we had specific vegetarian sweets at COLIN, dunno if you noticed or indeed if anyone ate any.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:59 amBtw we had specific vegetarian sweets at COLIN, dunno if you noticed or indeed if anyone ate any.
I noticed some vegetarian wine gums and enjoyed eating some of those. Thanks!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah, same Ben! Sorry for not thinking to thank at the then, this thing thank here hope think good thank though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:52 am I think it may need its own sub thread, but how about mints.
My favourite chewy mints were pacers, sadly no longer available.
Favourite sucky mints are sugar free polos , though if you have more than five at a time you will get the shits
. Favourite chocolate covered mints are Bendicks
I've never been particularly into mints. Chocolate mints can be OK, but then it's more about the chocolate than the mint! I'd never just have a non-chocolate regular mint sweet.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Big lumps of chocolate, wonderful. See also jelly sweets.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles