Deathwatch 2017

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

Deathwatch 2017

Post by JimBentley »

Given the amount of interest there's been in 2016's celebrity deaths, I thought it might be a interesting to frame 2017's version as a more competitive "thing". After all, for the reasons we've already discussed, it's unlikely to slow down anytime soon.

Now, I'm not sure there'll be enough interest to actually make it into a competition, but just in case there is, here are the rules (which I really want to keep short and simple):

1. 10 names, must have some sort of notability;
2. Once you've posted your list, that's it. No revisions.
3. Each one that dies in 2017 scores (120 - age of death);
4. Bonus of 25 points for any one of them being murdered;
5. That's it.

As the new year is almost upon us, let's have a closing date of 15th January 2017 so that everyone interested has a chance. I'll probably do mine early on January 1st so as to minimise my choices dying this year and maximise my potential for the whole year of 2017, but feel free to post your entries now or at any time up until the deadline (heh).

Marc, I can take your list as is or you can revise it if you like. I think you're the only person to venture 2017 predictions so far, but if I've missed anyone please put me right.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Re: Deathwatch 2017

Post by Fred Mumford »

Doesn't rule 4 actively encourage cheating?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

There's a few people who I am fairly certain will die in 2017, but I'm not morbid enough to compete in something that relies on people dying.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote:Given the amount of interest there's been in 2016's celebrity deaths, I thought it might be a interesting to frame 2017's version as a more competitive "thing". After all, for the reasons we've already discussed, it's unlikely to slow down anytime soon.

Now, I'm not sure there'll be enough interest to actually make it into a competition, but just in case there is, here are the rules (which I really want to keep short and simple):

1. 10 names, must have some sort of notability;
2. Once you've posted your list, that's it. No revisions.
3. Each one that dies in 2017 scores (120 - age of death);
4. Bonus of 25 points for any one of them being murdered;
5. That's it.

As the new year is almost upon us, let's have a closing date of 15th January 2017 so that everyone interested has a chance. I'll probably do mine early on January 1st so as to minimise my choices dying this year and maximise my potential for the whole year of 2017, but feel free to post your entries now or at any time up until the deadline (heh).

Marc, I can take your list as is or you can revise it if you like. I think you're the only person to venture 2017 predictions so far, but if I've missed anyone please put me right.
Well unless one of them pops their clogs before then.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Fred Mumford wrote:Doesn't rule 4 actively encourage cheating?
4.1. If you personally murder somebody named on your list, or pay (or offer inducements) for them to be murdered, no points will be scored.

Feel free to murder people not on your list though.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Elliott Mellor wrote:There's a few people who I am fairly certain will die in 2017, but I'm not morbid enough to compete in something that relies on people dying.
I expressed a similar opinion last year but I think the best way to get over it is to become actively involved in the whole death scene (although not by killing people yourself - that's probably a bad thing). Of course, you might not want to become quite so heartless. It's totally your call.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Just 10? The version I do with a few mates every year involves a list of 20.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
4.1. If you personally murder somebody named on your list, or pay (or offer inducements) for them to be murdered, no points will be scored.

What if they are murdered but the murder remains unsolved? Do you have to be convicted by a jury to lose the points?

Also, can't you get together with someone else and murder the people on each other's lists?

Also, if we're just posting on here, is there any rule about copying? It seems quite gameable. Maybe you could encourage early entrants by saying that no celebrity can be named twice. Just an idea - it's your game.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:

What if they are murdered but the murder remains unsolved? Do you have to be convicted by a jury to lose the points?

Also, can't you get together with someone else and murder the people on each other's lists?
OK. I'm pretty much relying on anyone entering not to murder anyone, whether it be someone on their list or not. I don't think that's too much to ask, do you? I'm sure even you can go a year without murdering someone.
Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, if we're just posting on here, is there any rule about copying? It seems quite gameable. Maybe you could encourage early entrants by saying that no celebrity can be named twice. Just an idea - it's your game.
I don't want to make it that someone can't be named twice as there's going to be significant overlaps anyway. It's in your interest to make unique picks of course, as if you're right, only you will get the points.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, can't you get together with someone else and murder the people on each other's lists?
In a Strangers On A Train vein? Indeed, good point.

The more you look at it, this rule just hasn't been very well thought out at all.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Fred Mumford wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, can't you get together with someone else and murder the people on each other's lists?
In a Strangers On A Train vein? Indeed, good point.

The more you look at it, this rule just hasn't been very well thought out at all.
That's true, I really should have thought more about it more. I'm just going to have to trust that none of you murder anyone, or enter into any kind of murder pacts or anything like that. I realise this may be difficult for some but please people - control your urges.

As for the copying thing - and as an incentive to enter early - there'll be a bonus of 25 points if you're the first entrant to list someone who dies in 2017.

No more rule changes, unless I've overlooked something else glaringly obvious.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Vera Lynn
Prince Philip
Chuck Berry
Hugh Hefner
Barbara Bush
George H.W. Bush
Jimmy Carter
Betty White (even though she seems to be invincible)
I.M. Pei
Kirk Douglas

Had fifteen on the list so took out some of the younger ones - Angela Lansbury, Bob Dylan, John Major, David Attenborough and Her Maj were the ones I neglected. Feel free to nick them (even though some are quite obvious picks). If I've somehow managed to miss the deaths of any of them, fill them in with any of those 5 of your choice.
cheers maus
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

In fairness, how cool would it be if someone did actually murder a celebrity just so they could win an obscure Internet forum game?

Anyway, I'll have a bit of a think and upload my ten shortly. Although I think it's clear from last year that I suck at this.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Sir David Attenborough
Prince Charles
Price Philip
Donald Trump
Mick Jagger
Ringo Starr
Emma Morano
Tony Blackburn
Sir Alex Ferguson
Simon Cowell

Couple of murders in there...

*EDIT* It said PriMe Philip
Last edited by Euan Slatter on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe in light of the connatations,of rule four maybe a list of people you'd like to see murdered.
My five.
Donald Trump
Ian Huntley
Piers Morgan
Sir Alex Ferguson
Ian Duncan Smith
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Marc, I can take your list as is or you can revise it if you like. I think you're the only person to venture 2017 predictions so far, but if I've missed anyone please put me right.
Well unless one of them pops their clogs before then.
Needs to be explicitly in this thread for us to see:
Marc Meakin wrote:Ok 2017 Deadpool top ten
1. Bruce Forsythe
2.Donald Trump
3.Bobby Charlton
4.Pele
5.Keith Richards
6. Dame Maggie Smith
7. Frederick Forsyth
8. David Attenborough
9. Bill Oddie
10. Stevie Wonder

Only Donald trump not to die of natural causes unless you count lead poisoning from a bullet wound
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Yes that one.
I did predict some other deaths in one of my threads and two of those have already come true albeit a week early
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Ian Brady
Olivia de Havilland
Bob Dole
George Bush Snr
Bruce Forsyth
John Noakes
Jim Bowen
Jimmy Greaves
Javier Perez de Cuellar
Henry Kissinger
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've gone for an eclectic bunch of people, and I don't think any of them are over 90.

Michael Schumacher
Cher
Stephen Hawking
Frank Williams (F1)
Bill Maynard
Daniel Dennett
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Mark Serwotka
Brian Blessed
Nigel Farage
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Anyone see about that hoax that the Queen had died last night? I'm holding off posting my list until 2017. Would've felt well smug for holding back if she'd croaked it before the end of the year.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Anyone see about that hoax that the Queen had died last night?
No. I just looked it up. I find it hilarious how offended people get by this sort of thing.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Anyone see about that hoax that the Queen had died last night?
No. I just looked it up. I find it hilarious how offended people get by this sort of thing.
I find it vaguely diverting how amused people get by other people getting offended by this sort of thing.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I don't want the queen to die yet as I'm about to go on holiday and my Sky + planner would be fucked
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I find it vaguely diverting how amused people get by other people getting offended by this sort of thing.
"Hilarious" was probably a bit of an exaggeration, but I certainly find it amusing.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

After studying the form book.
Can I swap Paul Gascoigne and Carol Vorderman for Pele and Bobby Charlton.
Gascoigne is a hopeless alcoholic who has just been kicked down the stairs of a hotel and CV is soon to embark on a solo flight around the world
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I've had Gascoigne on my list for a few years but he's probably going to keep defying me. I'll probably have a good few from last year's list to be honest.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote:After studying the form book.
Can I swap Paul Gascoigne and Carol Vorderman for Pele and Bobby Charlton.
Go on then, but only because it's you.

Some impressive-looking entries so far!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

OK, here's what I'm going for.

Paul Gascoigne
Regis Philbin
Bill Clinton
James Earl Jones
Barbara Streisand
Charlie Sheen
Bret Michaels
Queen Elizabeth II
Gay Byrne
Kanye West
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Robert Mugabe
Ginger Baker
Jake LaMotta
David Attenborough
Paul Gascoigne
Prunella Scales
Peter Sallis
Joost van der Westhuizen
Glen Campbell
Fernando Ricksen
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

OK, I know I was going to wait but hopefully none of these will die in the next four and a half hours:

Burt Reynolds
Denis Norden
Ian St. John
Joni Mitchell
Leslie Phillips
Liz Dawn
Mary Tyler Moore
Peter Sarstedt
Val Kilmer
Valerie Harper
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

What if someone on one of our lists dies at like 00.30am GMT, but they're in America at the time? How do we call that?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark Deeks wrote:What if someone on one of our lists dies at like 00.30am GMT, but they're in America at the time? How do we call that?
Well, someone could have died in Australia (or any place that's already into 2017) by now, but in the extremely unlikely event of this happening, we're going by GMT.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:What if someone on one of our lists dies at like 00.30am GMT, but they're in America at the time? How do we call that?
Well, someone could have died in Australia (or any place that's already into 2017) by now, but in the extremely unlikely event of this happening, we're going by GMT.
We won't necessarily know the time. What about going by the Wikipedia date of death (before you edit it yourself)?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

My personal opinion is that time/date of death should be determined by the time zone that the deathee physically is residing in at the time of their deathage.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Go on then.

Donald Trump
Robert Mugabe
Hugh Hefner
Vera Lynn
George HW Bush
Prince Philip
Diego Maradona
Jake the Snake Roberts
Betty White
Peter Sallis
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I see Tommy Wisbey didn't make it.......I reckon a 90% Google amongst us lot :D
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Dammit, thought of one to replace Simon Cowell with. Oh well,just have to hope someone murders him.

Robins Till I Die
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote:I see Tommy Wisbey didn't make it.......I reckon a 90% Google amongst us lot :D
Well, a bit of research never hurts in IMPORTANT COMPETITIONS such as this.

With scoring now underway, the first casualty of 2017 is Burundian politician Emmanuel Niyonkuru, shot dead earlier today. Surprisingly, nobody picked him.

(I'm not going to keep doing this, don't worry, just thought that it would be interesting to note the first reasonably notable death of the New Year).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:With scoring now underway, the first casualty of 2017 is Burundian politician Emmanuel Niyonkuru, shot dead earlier today. Surprisingly, nobody picked him.

(I'm not going to keep doing this, don't worry, just thought that it would be interesting to note the first reasonably notable death of the New Year).
I nearly picked him too.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Although entries don't close for a couple of weeks, here's a quick round-up of the top picks so far. It should probably be said that in the interests of getting in first with a choice, this is probably a bit distorted (certainly I removed four of these people from my list once I saw they'd been chosen):

David Attenborough (3)
Donald Trump (3)
George H. W. Bush (3)
Paul Gascoigne (3)
Prince Philip (3)

Betty White (2)
Bruce Forsyth (2)
Hugh Hefner (2)
Peter Sallis (2)
Robert Mugabe (2)
Vera Lynn (2)
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

See the official list is out. Plenty of names already mentioned on it https://deathlist.net//
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

James Laverty wrote:See the official list is out. Plenty of names already mentioned on it https://deathlist.net//
12/50 for 2016 wasn't a bad yield
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote:
James Laverty wrote:See the official list is out. Plenty of names already mentioned on it https://deathlist.net//
Technically my ratio of 4/10 was better. I AM GREAT etc.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

JimBentley wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
Technically my ratio of 4/10 was better. I AM GREAT etc.
Rats, better than my 7/20 as well.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Would this have been a valid guess? Because it did occur to me. Also, someone like this.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think there has to be an element of pretty death fame.
I guessed Debbie Reynolds would die soon after her daughter after Carrie fishers heart attack.
But at least she is famous.
I mean you could put down Michael Bubles son but that just seems sick to me.
Then making death lists is hardly normal.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Official list indeed. Like there's some recognised governing body rather than just separate groups of people doing their own thing.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Would this have been a valid guess? Because it did occur to me. Also, someone like this.
I dunno really. Admittedly I didn't specifically guard against this sort of thing, but could plausibly have disallowed both choices as - to be brutal - their only notability arose from their being close to death, rather than anything they had done before.

Similarly, I'm not sure what course I would have taken had somebody entered with a list of people on Death Row. As many of them have their dates of death already scheduled (notwithstanding the possibility of appeals/delays, or commutation to a lesser sentence, i.e. not death) it would be have to be seen as a serious bending of the rules. Never fear though, for 2018 I'll try to think all these things through beforehand.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Mark Deeks wrote:My personal opinion is that time/date of death should be determined by the time zone that the deathee physically is residing in at the time of their deathage.
Where they're residing? So if somebody normally resident from Blighty dies from an OD in a seedy Tokyo nightclub at 4am their date/time of death should be 7pm the previous day? We need clarity on this issue before I plan my usual New Year's Eve murder spree.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Jalal Talabani
Leah Bracknell
Fats Domino
Gord Downie
Desmon Tutu
Kirk Douglas
Kerry Katona
Billy Graham
Benjamin Netanyahu
Prince Philip
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Here are my Mandela effect top ten.
I. E. People still alive I thought were dead.
1 Bill Maynard.
2. Peter Sallis
3. Betty White
4. Carol Channing
5. Desmond Tutu
6. Jimmy Carter
7.Lord Carrington
8. John Noakes
9.Vera Lynn
10. Bernie Clifton
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote:Here are my Mandela effect top ten.
I. E. People still alive I thought were dead.
1 Bill Maynard.
2. Peter Sallis
3. Betty White
4. Carol Channing
5. Desmond Tutu
6. Jimmy Carter
7.Lord Carrington
8. John Noakes
9.Vera Lynn
10. Bernie Clifton
I read that BBC article about the Mandela effect, and empathised with almost none of it. People just don't pay attention. Also, I'm pretty sure I read virtually the same article years ago.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm not sure the Mandela effect is really a thing, or if it is whether most things that are ascribed to it are genuine.

I might think someone is dead because they are really old and haven't heard about them for years. That's nothing to do with a collective misremembering. Or sometimes someone has a heart attack or some other bout of ill-health and you kind of think they might die. Then later when you forget exactly what happened, you think they are dead. Nothing to do with a collective misremembering, which is what I understand the Mandela effect to be (although maybe I'm misremembering what the Mandela effect is).
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I see Jill Saward has just passed away.
she was only 51, bless her
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:I read that BBC article about the Mandela effect, and empathised with almost none of it. People just don't pay attention. Also, I'm pretty sure I read virtually the same article years ago.
I've been reading a bit more about the Mandela Effect lately and one thing that strikes me is that it tends to be younger people (<30) that subscribe to it actually being a "thing". Possibly - or not - it may be linked to the fact that most of the examples that are trotted out again and again are rooted in things that happened either before these people were born, or when they would be too young to reasonably have a memory of them.

And I know I went on about this the previous time we talked about it, but the main thing that bothers me about the whole concept is its name. I seriously don't know anyone that thought, or would have any reason to think that Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 1980s. Where does this even come from? Assuming that you were alive in the 1990s and 2000s and took any sort of notice - however cursory - of the news, how could you possibly have thought this? It's bizarre.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

East is East actor Om Puri has died. Only 66
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Peter Sarstedt has died at the age of 75, it has been announced today.

Very sad news (although not unexpected) and certainly not the way in which I wanted scoring in this competition to begin. I'm off to play "Where Do You Go To My Lovely" in tribute.

Standings @ 08/01/2017:

1. Jim Bentley: 45 (120-age) + 25 (bonus) = 70 points
2. Everyone else: 0 points
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The first big casualty of the year.
RIP Graham Taylor
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Oh yeah, I forgot to do this. Other people already snapped up a lot of the obvious ones so I've edited my original list.

1. Queen Elizabeth II (90)
2. Tiffany Trump (23) - of all the Trump kids, she seems to be the one he cares least about and probably has the least amount of security, so I can totally imagine her getting kidnapped by terrorists or something. It's totally not going to happen but worth it for the points innit.
3. William Shatner (85)
4. Ruth Bader Ginsburg (83)
5. Stephen Fry (59)
6. Rupert Murdoch (85)
7. Pele (76)
8. Walter Mondale (88)
9. Nursultan Nazarbayev (76)
10. Noam Chomsky (88)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Surprised no ones mentioned good old Turnip Taylor yet... RIP

Robins Till I Die