Crisps

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Post Reply
User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Crisps

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:18 am

JimBentley wrote:there really needs to be a thread devoted to crisps on here.
  • Favourite crisps
  • crisps that used to exist but don't any more
  • unusually-flavoured crisps
  • posh crisps
  • cheap crisps
  • whether maize and corn snacks count as crisps
  • the blatant disregard that Walkers have for the traditional colours of crisp packets
meakin, you can move your own comments in here.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 am

Favourite crisps
Hard. There are lots. I really really like crisps. May come back to this.

crisps that used to exist but don't any more
There are lots that I realise are gone, but I can't say that I miss them loads. I think I've moved with the crisp times and always been able to adapt to the changing market. Perhaps there are people who have not been able to embrace new crisp trends. I feel sorry for those people.

unusually-flavoured crisps
My brother was sending lots of photos of these when he was in Asia - sweetcorn flavour, cucumber flavour, some random seafoods, that kind of stuff.
I find the posh brands (Kettle etc., along with other gourmet crisp upstarts) are actually the trendsetters now when it comes to new flavours. And I don't mean just variations on classics (e.g. caramelised onion and mature cornish cheddar or cracked sea salt and cider vinegar) but I remember having something to do with camembert and red wine a few weeks back, they were pretty nice. And then you also get what you might call the proletariat of new flavours such as Doritos pushing out a cheeseburger flavour recently.

posh crisps
Yeah, they are everywhere. Remember when McCoys would be considered posh? I do like the posh crisps, they are well made usually and well flavoured. Top quality crunch. Obviously I only buy things that are on offer because I'm a cheapskate but either Tyrrell's or Kettle are always on offer wherever you go.

cheap crisps
some of the best cheap crisps are your Indian-esque brands like Cofresh and that, a big bag for 50p and you get some solid flavours and usually good quality. I think my favourite are the chilli and lemon ones that are shaped like grills. Fuck Space Raiders and that shit in this day and age.

whether maize and corn snacks count as crisps
I know that maize and corn have long been the traditional "are they, aren't they" alternatives, and I don't know what the Northern crisp landscape is like Jim but down here in London you need to add rice-based crisps, chickpea crisps, pitta chip crisps, cracker-style crisps, pasta crisps, and lentil crisps to the list that needs analysing. Personally I absolutely count them all as "crisps". However, I do demand that the variation in make up must be made clear on the packet. The rice based ones are the most odd of the ones I've listed, though mostly I've had ones made of rice and pea (http://www.yushoi.co.uk/) - lentil crisps are nice and crunchy and have a good makeup, they haven't seemed to have fully broken the market really, but M&S do a good chilli flavoured one. The only pasta ones I remember are Pastinos (http://www.martoranasnacks.co.uk/pastinos.php) which we've had a few times from Waitrose and really enjoyed. You wouldn't really know they had anything to do with pasta (and I've never looked into their makeup, they might not have as much to do with pasta as they suggest). Chickpea crisps seem to be the ones gaining the most traction, but oddly the ones I've least experience with.

the blatant disregard that Walkers have for the traditional colours of crisp packets
I remember lots of the furore when they first started making the big changes (salt and vinegar green, cheese and onion blue etc.) - when was this, early 90s? I dunno. So have they changed any more since then? Would also be interesting to compare all modern brands of these two flavours in particular and see how many people have ended up using the Walkers colour method and how many have stuck with tradition.

Some more discussions...

crisp shape
Do you like a traditional somewhat-oval thing for your crisps? Or sticks? Shapes? Which shapes?

crisp texture
flat vs ridged? I do like a fucking ridge, but not as bothered as I used to be (back when McCoys were peak crisp and the ridge was integral). What about lattices?

vegetable crisps
I consider these different enough from all the other alternative crisp makeups that they need their own category of discussion. Heather swears by them but I've never fallen in love with them.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:54 am

so it's the Kettle Chips Chef's Signature range I think I was talking about with the flavours -

they also do Gressingham Duck, Plum Sauce & Spring Onion. Wensleydale Cheese and Cox Apple Chutney.

And some more "crisp materials" I didn't cover too - Walkers do those Sensations Poppadoms (Chilli and Lime Chutney) crisps which are devious. And Pringles themselves, a brand that has surely been left behind yet always provides joy at a party, have also started doing tortilla-based crisps. (Also Manomasa for more sexy versions.)

And if you go even more left field, you get "kale crisps", "ancient grain crisps", "potato and hemp crisps", "chia seed crisps", "corn and soy crisps" - I think in some of these instances (e.g. chia seed and ancient grains) the special ingredient is one being added to an existing crisp base rather than wholly replacing a normal crisp base. All of these readily available on Ocado.

I see Metcalfe's have just started doing a fusion popcorn crisp as well. World gone mad.

Popchips too - the lowest calorie of all your crisps? Funny aftertaste but I like them.

User avatar
Euan Slatter
Acolyte
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: Portishead, NORTH SOMERSET

Re: Crisps

Post by Euan Slatter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:18 pm

  • Favourite crisps PRAWN COCKTIAL (WALKERS)
  • crisps that used to exist but don't any more THE WALKERS ''NEW FLAVOUR'' COMP - RACCOON
  • unusually-flavoured crisps GOTTA LOVE KETCHUP! not unusual but....
  • posh crisps WORCESTER SAUCE
  • cheap crisps HMMMMMM.... ALDI
  • whether maize and corn snacks count as crisps NO
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die

User avatar
Euan Slatter
Acolyte
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: Portishead, NORTH SOMERSET

Re: Crisps

Post by Euan Slatter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:20 pm

Also note how walkers and pringles have swapped S&V and C&O colours
Last edited by Euan Slatter on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3642
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Crisps

Post by Ben Wilson » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
JimBentley wrote:there really needs to be a thread devoted to crisps on here.
  • Favourite crisps
  • crisps that used to exist but don't any more
  • unusually-flavoured crisps
  • posh crisps
  • cheap crisps
  • whether maize and corn snacks count as crisps
  • the blatant disregard that Walkers have for the traditional colours of crisp packets
meakin, you can move your own comments in here.
Favourites- hard to look past Pringles. The Pringles Tortillas, if they count, are particularly lovely, especially the cheese flavoured ones. Also, you can reseal them so you can nibble at them throughout the day.

Ones that no longer exist- There used to be a brand called 'Brannigans' that did ham and mustard flavoured crisps that were seriously nice. Haven't seen them in about 20 years.

Unusual flavours- Prawn Cocktail is by itself an unusual flavour and, unless applied to Skips, utterly rank.

Do maize and corn snacks count as crsisps- if they come in a bag like crisps, and they're crispy like crisps, and they're flat like crisps...

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1599
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Crisps

Post by Mark Deeks » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:28 pm

They've started stocking Corkers at work. I like them.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by JimBentley » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
JimBentley wrote:there really needs to be a thread devoted to crisps on here.
I know that some of you will be panicking that I haven't posted in this thread yet (and I can't say I blame you) but fear not! My exciting crisps round-up is coming soon. It's taking longer than expected because - being an old person - I've eaten a bewilderingly large amount of different crisps and each time I think I've got my shit together, I remember some other fantastic crisps or crisp-related fact that needs to be included. And I'm going out tonight so might not have the chance until tomorrow (although this may afford the opportunity to undertake further important crisp-related research).

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:11 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
JimBentley wrote:there really needs to be a thread devoted to crisps on here.
I know that some of you will be panicking that I haven't posted in this thread yet (and I can't say I blame you) but fear not! My exciting crisps round-up is coming soon. It's taking longer than expected because - being an old person - I've eaten a bewilderingly large amount of different crisps and each time I think I've got my shit together, I remember some other fantastic crisps or crisp-related fact that needs to be included. And I'm going out tonight so might not have the chance until tomorrow (although this may afford the opportunity to undertake further important crisp-related research).
You can feed us one crisp at a time, rather than giving us the whole packet in one go.

(I will also post in this thread shortly. Post again, that is.)

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1599
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Crisps

Post by Mark Deeks » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:20 pm

I like that this thread has a hubbub.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:02 pm

OK, crisps.

I like crisps, but over the years I seem to have developed some sort of allergy/intolerance to some of them. Basically for crisps with more than about four ingredients in. I used to think it might be monosodium glutamate, but then it turned out that people wrongly blamed it for things, and I think I've also been affected by crisps that don't list it as an ingredient. Basically, my nose goes runny, I start sneezing a bit, and it might also make my shit a bit lower quality. It's nothing serious, so occasionally I take the risk.

But there are some crisps that I'm wary of because of this. Like Frazzles and Monster Munch, which are pretty awesome. I think there used to be a crispy bacon Monster Munch, which was my favourite crisp at the time. This would have been back in the 80s though. These are definitely crisps, by the way. They don't not count because of what they're made of.

I eat a lot of "plain" crisps, but they can still be pretty good. Seabrook's crisps are very good, as are Kettle Chips. With Kettle Chips, I also like the salt & pepper flavour and salt & vinegar, and these have no ill effects on me. Generally, I find flavours like salt & pepper and pickled onion a bit over-rated. They're all about the "sharpness" rather than a nice flavour, except that the salt & vinegar Kettle Chips have got it nailed.

I also like the Sensations poppadoms that Matt mentioned, but I'm not entirely convinced that they completely agree with me.

Hula Hoops are quite nice, but nothing special. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them.

Matt mentioned Yushoi (made of rice and peas). I eat these at home quite a bit, because they seem more healthy than "normal" crisps and they're also quite nice. I found out about them because they delivered a load of free packets around as an advertising campaign. Well, that one worked on me. But there's no way I'd put them among my favourites.

I also didn't realise that Walker's just randomly decided in the 90s to change the colourings on their packets. I knew they were the wrong way round, but I didn't know they were ever right.

I don't bother with shit like Pringles or Doritos. If I'm having standard crisps like Walker's, I'll only have plain.

But in conclusion, my favourites would probably be Kettle Chips (salt & pepper and salt & vinegar and maybe plain), Frazzles and bacon Monster Munch (when they existed).

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:16 pm

I was struggling to find evidence that crispy bacon Monster Munch was a thing. Here:

Image

Edit - what is ETA though? It seems to be the New Zealand brand. I have found sizzling bacon, but not crispy bacon for the UK brand. Weird. I'm sure it was a thing. I might have had some imported ones though.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:56 pm

I really like hula hoops, one of those ones that never excite me that much beforehand but always please me.

another topic is meat in crisps - something walkers have become guilty of re-introducing over the last couple of years, so that now you actually have to check the meat flavour crisps to see if they contain some sort of animal extract whereas for the previous 20 years you could be pretty assured that it was all just artificial flavouring. I guess it's technically a good thing if they are starting to use more "real" flavours in general, but a bit annoying as a vegetarian who happens to like a lot of meaty flavour crisps.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Smokey bacon is listed here, you needn't have gone further than Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Munch
(though no pic)

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2714
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:07 pm

did anyone else have fun melting crisp packets to make them small
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by JimBentley » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:12 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:did anyone else have fun melting crisp packets to make them small
Hey, stop stealing my stuff! This was going to be one of the exciting crisp-related anecdotes in my forthcoming crisps megapost.

Yes I know, I snooze, I lose.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:another topic is meat in crisps - something walkers have become guilty of re-introducing over the last couple of years, so that now you actually have to check the meat flavour crisps to see if they contain some sort of animal extract whereas for the previous 20 years you could be pretty assured that it was all just artificial flavouring. I guess it's technically a good thing if they are starting to use more "real" flavours in general, but a bit annoying as a vegetarian who happens to like a lot of meaty flavour crisps.
I find it annoying too. But I don't see it as a good thing in any way. If people want the thing itself, why even bother with crisps? Also, if you're a vegetarian for something like moral reasons, rather than as a "lifestyle choice", then you should see it as bad, rather than merely annoying for you personally as a vegetarian.
Matt Morrison wrote:Smokey bacon is listed here, you needn't have gone further than Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Munch
(though no pic)
Yeah, but that's not crispy bacon though is it?

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by JimBentley » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:another topic is meat in crisps - something walkers have become guilty of re-introducing over the last couple of years, so that now you actually have to check the meat flavour crisps to see if they contain some sort of animal extract whereas for the previous 20 years you could be pretty assured that it was all just artificial flavouring. I guess it's technically a good thing if they are starting to use more "real" flavours in general, but a bit annoying as a vegetarian who happens to like a lot of meaty flavour crisps.
I find it annoying too. But I don't see it as a good thing in any way. If people want the thing itself, why even bother with crisps? Also, if you're a vegetarian for something like moral reasons, rather than as a "lifestyle choice", then you should see it as bad, rather than merely annoying for you personally as a vegetarian.
My advice would be to go for the cheaper brands if you're worried about this sort of thing. The low-cost end of the crisps market almost always go for artificial flavourings rather than anything that's ever been remotely close to the advertised packet "flavour". This even extends to things like cheese (cheese flavouring is E-something or other that I can't remember just now and can't be arsed to look up) which allows them to market their crisps as vegan-friendly. At the other end of the scale (i.e. mainly in high-end or "artisan" crisps) there seems to be an increased use of something called "salt substitute", whatever the hell that is, so that their crisps can be marketed as "healthier" options. Which is ironic as crisps are not, and should never be seen to be healthy.

Of course, the use of chemically-derived artificial flavourings, colourings and enhancers is a whole other issue.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:10 pm

man i luh dem crips

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:23 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:another topic is meat in crisps - something walkers have become guilty of re-introducing over the last couple of years, so that now you actually have to check the meat flavour crisps to see if they contain some sort of animal extract whereas for the previous 20 years you could be pretty assured that it was all just artificial flavouring. I guess it's technically a good thing if they are starting to use more "real" flavours in general, but a bit annoying as a vegetarian who happens to like a lot of meaty flavour crisps.
I find it annoying too. But I don't see it as a good thing in any way. If people want the thing itself, why even bother with crisps? Also, if you're a vegetarian for something like moral reasons, rather than as a "lifestyle choice", then you should see it as bad, rather than merely annoying for you personally as a vegetarian.
My advice would be to go for the cheaper brands if you're worried about this sort of thing. The low-cost end of the crisps market almost always go for artificial flavourings rather than anything that's ever been remotely close to the advertised packet "flavour". This even extends to things like cheese (cheese flavouring is E-something or other that I can't remember just now and can't be arsed to look up) which allows them to market their crisps as vegan-friendly. At the other end of the scale (i.e. mainly in high-end or "artisan" crisps) there seems to be an increased use of something called "salt substitute", whatever the hell that is, so that their crisps can be marketed as "healthier" options. Which is ironic as crisps are not, and should never be seen to be healthy.

Of course, the use of chemically-derived artificial flavourings, colourings and enhancers is a whole other issue.
If I'm going for something other than Kettle Chips or plain crisps, I'd probably normally go for Tesco's Frazzle rip offs. The ingredient list is slightly less insane than Frazzles, and they also appear to be vegan rather than merely vegetarian, which is a step up. And they taste just as good.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:15 am

I'm perma-dehydrated: used to see how long I could go without water as a competition with myself when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I went a week once without having a drink (sounds completely impossible, but I had a lot of liquid in my food, mostly gravy with my dinner which I'd slurp up). Although I now probably drink around a litre a day on average (mostly water) - a huge improvement on about 8 years ago, when it was probably more like 250ml - it's hardly the amount you're meant to drink... So anyway, as a result of permanently being a bit thirsty, crisps are not a great thing for me to eat as they dry my mouth out really badly. In any case, of the junk foods I like, crisps are one of my least favourites and they're definitely a bit overrated. I'll eat them occasionally though.

Favourite crisps: Walkers cheese and onion (great with pate in a sandwich), Doritos Cool Original, barbecue Popchips
Least favourite crisps: nearly puked when I tried the sour cream and chives Pringles when I was 10 - been reluctant to branch out further into the Pringle world as a result. Any salt and vinegar chips are the worst for massive dehydration. And the Doritos cheese ones are just proper shite.

Back when Walkers did loads of weird flavours in 2010, my friends and I bought one pack of each of the weird flavours and had a tasting session in Tonbridge Park. Roast beef with Yorkshire puddings: bad (despite sounding amazing). French garlic baguette: good. Chicken paella: not good. Dutch edam: so-so. Spaghetti bolognese: ok. Kangeroo: ok. Bratwurst: horrible. Chutney: weird. Teriyaki chicken: great. There are photos of our reactions somewhere on Facebook. It's mostly grimaces.
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2714
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:55 am

Someone will need to verify this , but I am sure there was hedgehog flavour crisps back in the eighties.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:54 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote:I'm perma-dehydrated: used to see how long I could go without water as a competition with myself when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I went a week once without having a drink (sounds completely impossible, but I had a lot of liquid in my food, mostly gravy with my dinner which I'd slurp up). Although I now probably drink around a litre a day on average (mostly water) - a huge improvement on about 8 years ago, when it was probably more like 250ml - it's hardly the amount you're meant to drink... So anyway, as a result of permanently being a bit thirsty, crisps are not a great thing for me to eat as they dry my mouth out really badly. In any case, of the junk foods I like, crisps are one of my least favourites and they're definitely a bit overrated. I'll eat them occasionally though.
Overrated? How dare you?

Anyway, why not just drink more? I could understand someone saying that they used to barely drink so they sort of adapted to it. But you've said that you don't drink much and you're permanently thirsty. So why not just drink more? It makes no sense.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:23 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:Anyway, why not just drink more? I could understand someone saying that they used to barely drink so they sort of adapted to it. But you've said that you don't drink much and you're permanently thirsty. So why not just drink more? It makes no sense.
The more water I drink, the thirstier I get. I've tried to up my water intake numerous times and it happens every time, so I just decided to stick with being a bit thirsty instead of parched.
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

User avatar
Euan Slatter
Acolyte
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: Portishead, NORTH SOMERSET

Re: Crisps

Post by Euan Slatter » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:19 am

Ben Wilson wrote: Unusual flavours- Prawn Cocktail is by itself an unusual flavour and, unless applied to Skips, utterly rank.
How very dare you! :) ;)
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2714
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:29 pm

Not as nice as the sweet and sour flavour they used to do
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Fred Mumford
Acolyte
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Fred Mumford » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:07 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:Someone will need to verify this , but I am sure there was hedgehog flavour crisps back in the eighties.
Yep - as with most flavours though, not a patch on the real thing.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Crisps

Post by Mark James » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Man I love crisps so much. I think Irish brands are way better than UK crisps. I like walkers (especially their prawn and cocktail) but tayto and king far superior. Pretty sure tayto invented cheese and onion and they're my go to crisps. Love putting them in a sandwich. I actually did some research for this thread and found out most of the Irish brands you would assume are competing against each other are all owned by one company.

I count corn snacks as crisps but they're very much a different beast. There's just so many I love: banshee bones, burger bites, wheelies, bikers, meanies (amazing in an egg mayo sandwich), monster munch, rancheros, chickatees, chipsticks, skips, bacon fries, onion rings and probably even more I can't think of.

With posh crisps I both love and hate their pretentious flavours. Is it really necessary to call it farmyard cheese? Where else do you get cheese from? The poshest crisps I had i think were Phyllias Fog brand which were nice.

I thought it was funny once when a vegan friend of mine couldn't eat cheese and onion crisps because of the meat products involved but he could eat the bacon fries. No meat involved in the actual meat flavored crisps.

For cheap crisps I remember having a pak of sam spudz only a few years ago which came in the old plastic packet and not the foil pack you get nowadays.

Strangest flavour I've had was apple flavour from Canada. Awful stuff.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by JimBentley » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:57 pm

I sort of made a start on a proper post for this thread but quickly realised that - like Mark - I love crisps so much that it would go on forever and I'd still end up missing out many of my favourites (and favourites that no longer exist). As such, it's going to be far quicker to say that in my entire life, I think there's only one bag of crisps that I've had that I really didn't like and ended up chucking away without finishing them. It was these:

Image

They were around for a time in the 1980s and obviously weren't really hedgehog-flavoured, that was just a "funny" and "edgy" marketing gimmick. But I'm fucked if I know how they were flavoured, all I can say is that I thought that they were absolutely foul. And given my high tolerance for crisp flavours, that must have taken some doing.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 pm

I think we need more than that Jim. If you leave stuff out, you can always post again!

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by JimBentley » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think we need more than that Jim. If you leave stuff out, you can always post again!
Oh I will, trust me. In fact, I'm doing it right now!

On the sub-subject of maize snacks (as opposed to purely potato-based crisps) I've always enjoyed stuff like Space Raiders, especially the pickled onion ones (but they were all good). They used to be 5p a pack when I first started buying them (early 80s) but even when they had an unprecedented price hike to 10p a pack, they were still good value. Plus, even after the price increase they often could be found in multi-packs of about 10 for 59p.

However, the king of the maize snack for me will always be Nik-Naks. Apparently they were first marketed in 1981 but I don't remember seeing them until about 1987 or 1988. And of the Nik-Naks flavours, Nice N Spicy will always remain the best. They were a revelation at the time for their unbelievably strong flavour (which seems to have been toned down since then). When I was at college, I had a bit of a habit of buying the six-packs from Iceland (69p or 79p, something like that) on a Saturday and spending Sunday mornings in bed, eating Nik-Naks and reading Tom Sharpe novels.

Yes, obviously I was a big hit with the ladies in those days.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:04 pm

That image makes me very happy!

And yes Nice N Spicy are definitely the best, and Nik Naks are definitely excellent. I used to be a one-flavour man for a long time but I have actually come to appreciate the other flavours over time, which I think is testament to the quality construction of the crisp.

My Canadian boss sometimes brings back Cheezies, and they are worth looking out for, being very similar to Nik Naks but insanely cheesy (in that fake way) and salty, and very crispy.

Image

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Crisps

Post by Mark James » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:53 am

Nik naks, along with wotsits, were never as readily available in Ireland and I never much cared for them when I did have the opportunity to try them. It's a but shameful now considering how far we've come but their scarcity meant they were much more identifiable as British brands and as such were treated with a degree of suspicion, especially in the 80s. Personally I thought they were harder than than other brands and yet still lacked crunch that you might expect from a harder crisp but I wonder if my opinion was shaped by the politics of the time. That's how great crisps are though, that they can stimulate deeper conversations than one might imagine all the while being as tasty as fuck.
Last edited by Mark James on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2714
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:10 am

My favourite crisp flavour from abroad was a peanut flavour corn snack in the shape of a wotsit. Though they came from Israel I cant remember the brand.
Oh and I know it needs a separate thread but what's your view on coated peanuts.
I love both sweet and savoury versions.
Yoghurt and barbecue being my favourite two
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT


User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 882
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Thomas Carey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:52 pm

What's everyone's opinion on eating them one crisp at a time vs multiple crisps in one go?
signature

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:What's everyone's opinion on eating them one crisp at a time vs multiple crisps in one go?
I would normally have one at a time, but I don't ponce around eating really slowly or anything. Sometimes more than one might go in at once, especially when you get to the broken bits near the end.

Heather Styles
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Heather Styles » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 am

I cannot think of any crisps that I don't like; ideally, I would live exclusively off the things. My attitude to crisps is similar to my attitude to food in general in that I am just as likely to enjoy a cheap and cheerful crisp as a pricy, pretentious one (not that one crisp is ever enough, of course, and neither is one at a time). I'll see about bringing crisps to COLIN this year instead of cakes.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2714
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:23 am

The only annoying way to eat crisps are to pour the last few down your throat from the packet.
Also those people who like to open them by squeezing the bag until it pops.
Funnily enough these are usually also the pourers
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3202
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:00 pm

There used to be Wotsit-shaped baked-bean flavour things I used to devour in our clubhouse back in the day, I presume they were a local brand - certainly never seen them since. Always a bit of Russian roulette with the 1 in 20 or so chance of getting a tooth-breaking crunchy bit.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Ryan Taylor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 pm

No mention of Mackie's Haggis and Black Pepper crisps - they are awesome. As are Tyrrell's Vegetable Crisps. Always a firm old favourite of mine as part of a meal deal depending on mood.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 pm
No mention of Mackie's Haggis and Black Pepper crisps - they are awesome. As are Tyrrell's Vegetable Crisps. Always a firm old favourite of mine as part of a meal deal depending on mood.
I think vegetable crisps are a bit rubbish. I also find it odd that with potato crisps, that's just the starting point - they then take on any flavour you want. But with vegetable crisps, the "base" (sweet potato, parsnip, beetroot or whatever) is basically the whole thing. They are all just ready salted. Why can't you have salt and vinegar flavour parsnip crisps?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:53 pm

As Jim pointed out at COLIN, there was a crisps thread after all.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 pm
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 pm
No mention of Mackie's Haggis and Black Pepper crisps - they are awesome. As are Tyrrell's Vegetable Crisps. Always a firm old favourite of mine as part of a meal deal depending on mood.
I think vegetable crisps are a bit rubbish. I also find it odd that with potato crisps, that's just the starting point - they then take on any flavour you want. But with vegetable crisps, the "base" (sweet potato, parsnip, beetroot or whatever) is basically the whole thing. They are all just ready salted. Why can't you have salt and vinegar flavour parsnip crisps?
But then again Jono had some flavoured vegetable crisps on the way back from COLIN.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crisps

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:41 pm

The only ones I know about are the wild garlic flavour ones. I really like them but Heather (a big vegetable crisp aficionado) does not.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2714
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:53 pm
As Jim pointed out at COLIN, there was a crisps thread after all.
As my Cockness is not in doubt, that is definitely Mandela effect in action or a collective Alzheimer's incident
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7573
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:10 pm

I've just had some Marmite crisps. They're quite good. I had them in the 80s too.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2714
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Crisps

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:50 pm

They remind me of Bovril flavour from back in the seventies
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest