GeoGussr

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

GeoGussr

Post by JimBentley »

Have we done this one yet? https://geoguessr.com/

Whatever, I am absolutely shite at this. "Somewhere in Poland?" Nah, it's Colombia. "That must be in Australia!" No, it's in Botswana. I do play to a strict rule of not moving from the initial spot though, I'm sure it would be a lot easier if you just moved from your initial spot to find something more identifiable, but that would kind of defeat the object. As such, my scores generally in single figure points but it's curiously addictive.

Anyone any good at it?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: GeoGussr

Post by Mark James »

The best score I ever got on this was by googling the name of the company that featured on a logo on the side of a truck in the picture that I could just about make out. It was in Portland, Oregon if remember correctly.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote:The best score I ever got on this was by googling the name of the company that featured on a logo on the side of a truck in the picture that I could just about make out. It was in Portland, Oregon if remember correctly.
I don't like to do stuff like that, it doesn't seem in the spirit of the thing, but it is that kind of detail that you need for this, really. It's a weird one.

I've lost count of the times I've been dumped on a dirt road in the Australian outback with nothing but dust in sight* but then again, I've sometimes started out somehwere that everyone could take a good guess at (my favourite so far is outside the gates of Buckingham Palace**).

* I generally guess those as California;

** and I still got it wrong.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

JimBentley wrote:
Mark James wrote:The best score I ever got on this was by googling the name of the company that featured on a logo on the side of a truck in the picture that I could just about make out. It was in Portland, Oregon if remember correctly.
I don't like to do stuff like that, it doesn't seem in the spirit of the thing, but it is that kind of detail that you need for this, really. It's a weird one.

I've lost count of the times I've been dumped on a dirt road in the Australian outback with nothing but dust in sight* but then again, I've sometimes started out somehwere that everyone could take a good guess at (my favourite so far is outside the gates of Buckingham Palace**).

* I generally guess those as California;

** and I still got it wrong.
I agree it's not in the spirit of the game but honestly, on this occasion, I was so close I think the truck must have just left the car park of their facility. Other than that I like to think I'm still pretty good at the game without having to goolge. Hard to judge without knowing the average score most people get. At times I've surprised myself with how close I can get purely by judging the vegetation which I never thought I'd have any kind of affinity for.
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

There was a location in Macau that I got given once, having had it a short while earlier. Got it within 4 metres and I hardly ever play it now as I know I'll never beat that :P (albeit knowing the answer already having seen it before doesn't take as much skill)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's insane not to even move from the initial spot. Anyway, if in doubt, you're in America, Canada, Australia, or up a mountain in Japan. There is also a UK version though if you want to be boring like that.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The UK version is fun if, like me, you've unintentionally memorised many of the dialling codes in the UK. The 'famous monuments' one takes the piss a little as sometimes it's a staircase in the arse-end of nowhere in America.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Yeah, I play it where you're not allowed external help (so no googling), but obviously you can move. Usually a 5 minute time limit is fun to see if you can find anything interesting in that time, but not let you have all the time you want to find a place name you recognise. Once I got put on a dirt road, and after following it for about 4 minutes I saw a sign in a Cyrillic language which made me not be completely out, at least.
cheers maus
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

First effort 2620
Will play it on a bigger screen next time
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Thomas Carey wrote:Yeah, I play it where you're not allowed external help (so no googling), but obviously you can move. Usually a 5 minute time limit is fun
My method is just the SUPER HARDCORE way of playing. Your way sounds much better, though, I think I'll start playing that way from now on. I think I got a bit addicted to being hilariously wrong and scoring no points.