Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by JimBentley »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
JimBentley wrote:"Young girl, get out of my mind..." etc. by Gary Puckett &The Union Gap? It's a classic! Philistine.
Great song. Iffy suibject matter.
There's a lot of songs from that period (lateish sixties) that are far more iffy. One in particular - the title of which I can't bring to mind right now - by Donovan that definitely references having sex with 14 year-old girls (not directly on the released version, but certainly on live versions).
Jon O'Neill wrote:Mine would probably be something from the entire works (including unreleased songs, B-sides and remixes) of Enya.
Why on earth would you - or anyone for that matter - have the complete works of Enya? You can keep "Orinoco Flow", I suppose, but the rest of it? DESTROY IT WITH FIRE.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:What's the one song on your playlist that you would have to quickly skip if it was,randomly selected on speaker mode.
Mine would be Young Girl by Gary Puxket
"Young girl, get out of my mind..." etc. by Gary Puckett &The Union Gap? It's a classic! Philistine.
Agreed but like Jon says iffy subject matter along with Your Sixteen by Ringo Star and Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris also a favourite of mine pre Yewtree
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:What's the one song on your playlist that you would have to quickly skip if it was,randomly selected on speaker mode.
"Young girl, get out of my mind..." etc. by Gary Puckett &The Union Gap? It's a classic! Philistine.
Agreed but like Jon says iffy subject matter along with Your Sixteen by Ringo Star and Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris also a favourite of mine pre Yewtree
That reminds me (off on a bit of tangent here, but this is a random thread after all), has anyone got that scan from the Sun when they were counting down in days until they could legally publish topless photos on Page 3 of someone (might have been Charlotte Church, can't remember now), while on page 2 there was some story about how terrible paedophiles were? I remember the juxtaposition was unbelievably hypocritical. I can't find it now, but then again I am a bit rubbish at the internet.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I don't think that's the exact story. What I remember was there was a countdown to when Emma Watson would be of the age of consent and on the opposite page the paedophile stuff. Don't think it involved actual pictures. Also think it was in the Star.

As for dodgy songs about kiddie fiddling from the 60s the west coast pop art experimental band had a few.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote:I don't think that's the exact story...
You're right, of course. My brain was getting confused with this and a typically hysterical story about the Brass Eye Paedogeddon special which must have been aired around that time:

Still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth, though, doesn't it?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1740007

Hope that link works. Anyway seems to be something along the lines of the Mandela effect going on. Some people thought it was emma Watson too. I think where I heard it from was on an episode of have I got news for you.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote:http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1740007

Hope that link works. Anyway seems to be something along the lines of the Mandela effect going on. Some people thought it was emma Watson too. I think where I heard it from was on an episode of have I got news for you.
I remember Ben Elton mentioning it in a routine about press hypocrisy.
Just saw a puff piece about Britney Spears on GMB and it made me think of how dodgy Hit Me Baby One More Time was
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

What DVDs have you bought but never opened.
Mine is the English Patient
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JimBentley wrote:
Zarte Siempre wrote:
JimBentley wrote:As probably the highest-profile musician to die in a car crash, am I the only one who thinks that this is a little bit crass?
Car crass?
When do we get "likes" back? I seem to remember Charlie saying that there was a reason why we couldn't have them back but frankly I've completely forgotten what it was.
The plugin that added likes was only compatible with an ancient version of phpbb. I might see if anyone has made a new one now.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Depends who else was there, but probably Just About Done by Blink-182.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was on the cross trainer in the garage today with music playing out of my phone, and consecutively I got the shit default Samsung tune followed by Jason Larsen singing Coronation Street! (Or it might have been the other way round.)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

As a rule, I don't ever skip tracks when listening to music (even when setting random play from my library, which I often do). But sometimes I come across stuff that I'd completely forgotten I had (in my defence, there's over 40,000 tracks on there), the latest of such was this, which may be of interest to some of you:

Young Guns Crew - Countdown Riddim
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Crap I've downloaded for my mum and accidentally let slip into my main collection. It's not all shite but hardly ever what I want to listen to.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why are there two of these threads?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

To be sure to be sure.
Though there wouldn't be a need for either thread if my ban on making new threads were lifted.
It must be a good 5 or 6 years now.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: It must be a good 5 or 6 years now.
Certainly an improvement.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

All I want for Christmas is........
I'd settle for peace to all men.
not sure what I want for the women though
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Here's something cheery.
Name three pieces of music you would like played at your funeral and why
Mine are Clair de lune by Debussy.....my favourite orchestral piano piece.
Motion picture soundtrack by Radiohead.....can't decide on the acoustic version from the early nineties (Although on Kid A, the song was actually written in 1993 ) or the string quartet version from Westworld. I always well up whenever I hear it.
Finally I want Asleep by The Smith's.....saddest song ever
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Every Tube Station Song by Jay Foreman (greatest song ever)
Goodbye my Lover by James Blunt (if I get married)
Abide With Me by Audrey Assad (FA Cup memories)
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote:Here's something cheery.
Name three pieces of music you would like played at your funeral and why
I'll be dead so I won't really care. However, it's likely to be so long in the future (as I'm planning on living to about 110 or something) that it'll all be future music that hasn't been invented yet. I'll let you know when it is, or I would do, but you'll be dead by then so I mightn't have to bother.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Probably should be in a different thread but anyway.
Should atheists celebrate Christmas?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Marc Meakin wrote:Probably should be in a different thread but anyway.
Should atheists celebrate Christmas?
Should is the wrong word. Why would you want to celebrate it?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Being an agnostic fence sitter, I am curious if fully committed Atheists celebrate Christmas in any way.
I was once friends of a Jehovah's witness family and they didn't acknowledge it at all
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's nice to have a celebration every year where people get together, eat and get presents etc. Might as well do it when everyone else is, when people are off work/school etc.

I think Christians hijacked the already-existing winter festival anyway.

You must be the billionth person to ask this.

I don't think many people would use the phrase "committed atheist" anyway. Also Jehovah's Witnesses have a positive belief that Christmas presumably interferes with. The same doesn't apply for atheists.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

To be honest, apart from the Nativity, when my kids were younger and the lesser spotted carol singers, it is difficult nowadays to see much religiousness going on anyway in the mainstream
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Apart from the obvious, what food do you only eat at Christmas.
Mine is cheese footballs, red cabbage and mint matchmakers and I am partial to a Lobster Bisque soup.
Can't stand Christmas pud, Christmas cake or cranberry sauce
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Probably chocolate. I'd have the odd chocolate chip cookie all year round but chocolate bars I would only have at Christmas thanks to selection boxes and then I'd have an egg at Easter. It's far too much chocolate though and I can make an egg or a selection box last for ages whereas when I was a kid they wouldn't last the day. Agree with you on Christmas pud and cake. Horrible stuff. I particularly hate marzipan.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

After the doom and gloom of 2016 and the impending issues of a hard Brexit and Donald Trump being leader of the free world, let's lighten the mood by posting our favourite jokes of the year.
Here is one of mine.
After working my guts out all year to pay for presents, that fat bearded bastard gets all the credit.
Still I suppose it's my fault for marrying her :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:Agree with you on Christmas pud and cake. Horrible stuff. I particularly hate marzipan.
I don't really like Christmas pudding or cake either. But marzipan is awesome!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Marc Meakin wrote:After the doom and gloom of 2016 and the impending issues of a hard Brexit and Donald Trump being leader of the free world, let's lighten the mood by posting our favourite jokes of the year.
How about a combination of the two. 2016 claimed another celebrity victim when Chuck Norris died today. Proved to be only a minor inconvenience though and he's doing much better now.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I'm just watching a countdown of the best-selling British singles of the decade on low-quality music TV station Viva and it's got to "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele. According to the idiot voiceover woman, this is the single that apparently confirmed Adele as "the greatest artist we have ever had".

I don't even know where to start with what's wrong with that statement.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I would agree with Greatest British female singer of the 21st Century though
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote:I would agree with Greatest British female singer of the 21st Century though
Don't be silly, everyone knows that the greatest British female singer of the 21st century was Leanne Brown out of long-forgotten early-2000s one-hit wonders Sweet Female Attitude. Either her or the other one out of long-forgotten early-2000s one-hit wonders Sweet Female Attitude, whose name I've forgotten.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Well at least you didn't say Jessie J
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I have started playing scrabble on the MSA website/app and it is much better than EA in my honest opinion.
It got me wondering why an app couldn't be developed for apterous or a simple countdown related game.
I vaguely remember asking Charlie back in the day and I think at the time it couldn't be done.
Is that still the case ?
As I am sure , if we ignore the licencing aspect of it, I am sure the technology is there for develpment
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Mobile apterous works pretty well right now I think. Could be improved but it's definitely playable on the go
cheers maus
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Marc Meakin wrote:I have started playing scrabble on the MSA website/app and it is much better than EA in my honest opinion.
It got me wondering why an app couldn't be developed for apterous or a simple countdown related game.
I vaguely remember asking Charlie back in the day and I think at the time it couldn't be done.
Is that still the case ?
As I am sure , if we ignore the licencing aspect of it, I am sure the technology is there for develpment
It's insanely expensive from what I remember. Or it was in 2013 anyway.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

After the Crisp and Confectionary threads how about one for favourite desserts.
Mine is a toss up between a red velvet cheesecake or an authentic apple strudel.
Although amittedly the semifredo I had at an Italian restaurant recently was to die for
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote:After the Crisp and Confectionary threads how about one for favourite desserts.
Mine is a toss up between a red velvet cheesecake or an authentic apple strudel.
Although amittedly the semifredo I had at an Italian restaurant recently was to die for
I'm not the biggest fan of desserts (or "afters", to use the correct term) but I do have a bit of a thing for really cheap stuff, like tinned rice pudding and custard. This sort of thing:

Either is about 17p a tin and really nice, easily as good as the more expensive varieties. Rice pudding on its own or custard on pretty much any cake-based thing, or even just on a few squares of basic chocolate, microwave for a couple of minutes and there you go. Or maybe I've just got a really unrefined palate (actually that's not in dispute, I know I have).
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Do you eat your rice pudding out the tin.
I confess I do.
Asdas own ain't bad, but my favourite is the ambrosia, though nothing beats making your own with sultanas and nut met and all that skin
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah I used to enjoy rice pudding more than I do now. I mean the regularity of enjoyment, not the level. Happy to smash it out of the tin if needs be. But I disagree with Jim SLASH agree with Marc that Ambrosia is much better (creamier) than cheap own brand stuff.

Cold custard on hot apple crumble/pie. Don't like it when the custard is hot too.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The custard rule in the Meakin household is cold custard on a hot pud and hot custard on a cold pud like a cold tarte tatan or a cold crumble.
Exception being bananas in custard delicious hot or cold
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

I basically like all puddings that I can think of, except for stuff with crunchy meringues in or fruit salad (really boring and definitely not a real pudding). Favourites are generally homemade: my mum's chocolate/cherry trifle that we get every year at Christmas; salted caramel chocolate torte; chocolate fondants; lemon tart; citrus cheesecake; mint Aero cheesecake; Black Forest gateau. I can always be doing with a nice crumble and cold custard in the winter, or a lemon sorbet in the summer.

Matt - are you familiar with Dorset apple cake? There's one that they serve in this gastropub in Lyme Regis which is very dense and rich (loads of brown granulated sugar on top) but delicious, the stuff of family holiday legend. I made one at home but it doesn't *quite* live up to the native standard.

Not really had rice pudding as a dessert either, although I used to have those Muller Rice pots cold for breakfast (the apple ones were very nice).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Salt in afters should be banned.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Am I allowed to put sugar in my porridge though ?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think this has gone too far for a thread on puddings/desserts/afters/afterses (or whatever you want to call them), because there's so much from here that would have to be imported, so I'll post my thoughts in here later.
Heather Styles
Rookie

Post by Heather Styles »

Favourite 'afters': cheese. All the cheese. Any cheese.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Heather Styles wrote:Favourite 'afters': cheese. All the cheese. Any cheese.
People that think cheese is an afters can probably go in another thread around here.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I've never had cheese for afters unless the alternatives are crap in a restaurant.
But generally love cheese.
Old Amsterdam and Emmenthal being favourites.
Though I think this should be in its own thread
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

For my birthday I always get an almond cake with marzipan, and it's difficult to get much better than that. But that's made by my Mum, so the exact specifications might be different if someone else were to have one. The same with almond macaroons.

Other than that, fruit crumbles and pies are always good, and things like treacle sponge and sticky toffee pudding. Proper stodgy solid puddings rather than weak and feeble ice-cream or cream-based things.

Also, most Indian restaurants just have crappy ice-cream puddings, but occasionally some do proper puddings like gulab jamun. And they're pretty good. Unfortunately you normally just get a couple of small pieces (is gulab jamuns a valid plural?), which isn't really enough (puddings generally in restaurants are too small), and people think you're weird if you order two puddings! But interestingly enough, at CO:Bris last year when we went to Za Za Bazaar for the meal afterwards they had gulab jamuns, and because it was an all-you-can-eat buffet, I managed to get myself to within one gulab jamun of type two diabetes. That was pretty good.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote:I've never had cheese for afters unless the alternatives are crap in a restaurant.
But generally love cheese.
Old Amsterdam and Emmenthal being favourites.
Though I think this should be in its own thread
Sean Fletcher had cheese when we were at CO:Birmingham, but he fully accepted that it wasn't a proper pudding/dessert/afters.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote:After the Crisp and Confectionary threads how about one for favourite desserts.
Apple strudel is like a poor man's apple pie though isn't it? Comes with raisins too doesn't it?

I hate it when you order apple pie in a restaurant and it comes with raisins/sultanas/currants (I will refer to all three as raisins from now on). They just ruin it. They make anything they're in rubbish. I also don't like cinnamon in an apple pie. Cinnamon itself isn't a bad thing, but it just doesn't really go with apple pie. I don't know who decided it did. I think it's because a lot of restaurant apple pies are just shit, so this just adds a bit of flavour. You'd never put cinnamon in a good apple pie.
Marc Meakin wrote:Do you eat your rice pudding out the tin.
I confess I do.
Asdas own ain't bad, but my favourite is the ambrosia, though nothing beats making your own with sultanas and nut met and all that skin
Get out.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote:Am I allowed to put sugar in my porridge though ?
I use maple syrup.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I am now thinking what is the difference between a raisin and a sultana and even a currant for that matter?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Am I allowed to put sugar in my porridge though ?
I use maple syrup.
Surely only on pancakes.
Btw another subject needing its own thread
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote:I am now thinking what is the difference between a raisin and a sultana and even a currant for that matter?
I doubt there's any important difference. It came up here as well.

Edit - The worst thing about them is that they're slimy things, but sometimes you get this nasty crunch in the middle of one and it's awful. Admittedly I do eat some stuff with them in, but I'd rather they weren't there.

Although when I was younger I used to sometimes it raisins from the freezer. I doubt I'd do it now, but if they were "crunch" free, they probably wouldn't be completely awful.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Nuts and raisins are a good combo as are chocolate or yogurt covered ones.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote:Nuts and raisins are a good combo as are chocolate or yogurt covered ones.
Yoghurt has been covered.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:when I was younger I used to sometimes it raisins from the freezer
Yeah, this just absolutely isn't a thing. What sort of household offers free range freezer raisins to its young? This explains a lot.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:when I was younger I used to sometimes it raisins from the freezer
Yeah, this just absolutely isn't a thing. What sort of household offers free range freezer raisins to its young? This explains a lot.
Next you'll be telling me you've never had an egg lolly. (Stick a cocktail stick into a raw egg, and freeze it, and then peel of the shell.)

Actually, I doubt anyone has ever. But with the raisins, my mum used to freeze them. She might have made it up herself. I dunno. Certainly makes them more palatable. Try it.