Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, most Indian restaurants just have crappy ice-cream puddings, but occasionally some do proper puddings like gulab jamun. And they're pretty good.
I've never had them, but gulab jamun is in one of the cookbooks I got for Christmas! Bring a kitchen and all the necessary ingredients and tools to COLIN and maybe I'll make some.
Gavin Chipper wrote:and people think you're weird if you order two puddings!
Image
go away xoxo

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7489
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Try it. Be more like Gevin.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, most Indian restaurants just have crappy ice-cream puddings, but occasionally some do proper puddings like gulab jamun. And they're pretty good.
I've never had them, but gulab jamun is in one of the cookbooks I got for Christmas! Bring a kitchen and all the necessary ingredients and tools to COLIN and maybe I'll make some.
I'd definitely do that but I don't think the kitchen would fit in my bag if I'm bringing my parkrun stuff.

Heather Styles
Rookie
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Heather Styles » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm

If cheese isn't a proper 'after' (it is, though), I'd happily have it as a 'before' or a 'between'. I'm not fussy.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Well done to Oliver Garner, of this parish, for winning the Kingston Scrabble tournament today
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:36 pm

I think this is the thread for this. Do any of you have dreams where you go for a piss and it feels completely realistic? This happens to me a fair amount, but I obviously never actually piss myself, although I do normally need to go when I wake up. Also some of these dream pisses go on for absolutely ages. I told a friend at university once, and he thought it was really weird.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Mark Deeks » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:36 pm
I think this is the thread for this. Do any of you have dreams where you go for a piss and it feels completely realistic? This happens to me a fair amount, but I obviously never actually piss myself, although I do normally need to go when I wake up. Also some of these dream pisses go on for absolutely ages. I told a friend at university once, and he thought it was really weird.
Has happened, and have pissed in doing so.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7489
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Same. Also possible to do sex dreams without mess. Also possible to do sex dreams with mess.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Done this with crying, but not pissing.
go away xoxo

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Mark Deeks » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:59 pm

You'll soon get older and do little else.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Can't say I ever dreamt of pissing.
Had a fair few where I was a fireman though dousing the flames.
Woke up to the inevitable, my bed was alight, that's what you get for having an arsonist as a brother πŸ˜‚
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Can't say I ever dreamt of pissing.
Had a fair few where I was a fireman though dousing the flames.
Woke up to the inevitable, my bed was alight, that's what you get for having an arsonist as a brother πŸ˜‚
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3385
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Ian Volante » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:57 pm
Done this with crying, but not pissing.
I've woken up crying before, and I think I've pissed as well while dreaming about it. Not for a good while though.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm

I should point out that I don't do this nightly. Maybe like twice. Or three times. Can't lie, there's no tracking sheet.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Mark Deeks wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm
I should point out that I don't do this nightly. Maybe like twice. Or three times. Can't lie, there's no tracking sheet.
Well, there was a tracking sheet, but somehow it got water damaged.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:54 pm

I might not sleep with stationery as often as you may imagine.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Has anyone else noticed that Nick Hewer can't pronounce the word "going"? It always sounds something like "gawing".

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Yes you are right.
I think you should post it in the Countdown section though.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:37 pm

I've just watched a very good horror/ psychological thriller called Get Out.
Very good although I am not ao sure it would have been so well received if it was made by a white director though, given the premise.
Btw this is probably in the wrong thread aswell
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:32 pm
Yes you are right.
I think you should post it in the Countdown section though.
I don't think it's worth its own thread though, and this is the thread I use for such things.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:41 pm

For the sake of pedantry only, it is however tenuous, countdown related.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2774
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by JimBentley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 am

I was reading yesterday about Joey Barton's 18 month FA ban for his dodgy football bets. Here's a flavour of some of the bets that got him into trouble:

Image

A couple of things struck me about the whole sorry affair. First, I would have expected the bets to be larger than this. Although some of them are for a few hundred quid, the majority are for pretty small amounts, down to a couple of quid in some cases. I mean, if you're going to risk your career for this sort of thing, you might as well make it worthwhile, surely?

The second thing - and the point that I really took away from this story - is that Joey Barton has got to be one of the most inept gamblers in the world. Even with (presumably) some inside knowledge, his winnings in the period above were Β£5 from nearly Β£2,000 staked! At first I wondered if this was some sort of tax loss thing, but I think he's actually just really, really bad at betting on football. They must really love him on the betting exchanges!

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Joey Barton is beyond parody
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Feel free to start a proper thread but isn't it time we had a top tips thread, either serious ones or Via like ones.
Here are a couple : Get your partner pregnant over the next few weeks to time your paternity leave with the World Cup.

Toothpaste makes a good filler for walls before painting.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 pm

I think this is still the thread for posting stuff that isn't worthy of its own thread and doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Apparently this is the hottest late August Bank Holiday Monday on record. OK, but does that really count as a weather record? I know it's a worry that so many heat records are being broken with all the global warming, but you don't need to contrive new records to make your point. Tomorrow I'm predicting "Hottest Tuesday in a month that has five Thursdays".

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:56 am

I don't mind so much when people say it's the hottest whatever since records began.
But when they say it's down to global warming then it's annoying
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:37 am

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:56 am
I don't mind so much when people say it's the hottest whatever since records began.
But when they say it's down to global warming then it's annoying
Why is it annoying? Obviously it's difficult to pin down a single data point to global warming, but you can with the general trend.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:23 pm

It's annoying because 1976 was the hottest summer I have lived through
I don't think the hole in the ozone layer was even thought of back then.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3385
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:23 pm
I don't think the hole in the ozone layer was even thought of back then.
Mainly because we didn't have the scientific consensus until around that point.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Ian Volante wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:23 pm
I don't think the hole in the ozone layer was even thought of back then.
Mainly because we didn't have the scientific consensus until around that point.
Not one to court controversy but I have believed global warming to be a conspiracy theory with very little hard evidence to support it.
Certainly not enough to suggest 'climate change ' is happening now.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Thomas Cappleman
Acolyte
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Thomas Cappleman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm
Ian Volante wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:23 pm
I don't think the hole in the ozone layer was even thought of back then.
Mainly because we didn't have the scientific consensus until around that point.
Not one to court controversy but I have believed global warming to be a conspiracy theory with very little hard evidence to support it.
Certainly not enough to suggest 'climate change ' is happening now.
A conspiracy theory by who? Who would benefit from it?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm
Ian Volante wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:23 pm
I don't think the hole in the ozone layer was even thought of back then.
Mainly because we didn't have the scientific consensus until around that point.
Not one to court controversy but I have believed global warming to be a conspiracy theory with very little hard evidence to support it.
Certainly not enough to suggest 'climate change ' is happening now.
You seem to want to take the logical and scientific viewpoint in the religion thread but when the conclusion doesn't suit you, it's a different matter.

What would count as hard evidence?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:21 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm
Ian Volante wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm


Mainly because we didn't have the scientific consensus until around that point.
Not one to court controversy but I have believed global warming to be a conspiracy theory with very little hard evidence to support it.
Certainly not enough to suggest 'climate change ' is happening now.
You seem to want to take the logical and scientific viewpoint in the religion thread but when the conclusion doesn't suit you, it's a different matter.

What would count as hard evidence?
They are certain similarities to the existence of God and the existence of global warming .
There are compelling arguments on both sides and both equally inconclusive
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Thomas Cappleman wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm
Ian Volante wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm


Mainly because we didn't have the scientific consensus until around that point.
Not one to court controversy but I have believed global warming to be a conspiracy theory with very little hard evidence to support it.
Certainly not enough to suggest 'climate change ' is happening now.
A conspiracy theory by who? Who would benefit from it?
Who benefits from all conspiracy theories.
Maybe the green vote in this case.
The only thing that will kill this planet from a human point of view is overpopulation causing starvation or nuclear war or a virus
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Thomas Cappleman wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm
Ian Volante wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm


Mainly because we didn't have the scientific consensus until around that point.
Not one to court controversy but I have believed global warming to be a conspiracy theory with very little hard evidence to support it.
Certainly not enough to suggest 'climate change ' is happening now.
A conspiracy theory by who? Who would benefit from it?
Who benefits from all conspiracy theories.
Maybe the green vote in this case.
I mean if it was so cut and dried how come America can justify its exclusion from all the measures that the G7 or whoever put forward
The only thing that will kill this planet from a human point of view is overpopulation causing starvation or nuclear war or a virus
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Fiona T
Acolyte
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Fiona T » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:18 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 pm

I mean if it was so cut and dried how come America can justify its exclusion from all the measures that the G7 or whoever put forward
I'm not sure their illustrious leader is best known for his knowledge of science. (Or geography. Or history. Or politics...)

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Fiona T wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:18 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 pm

I mean if it was so cut and dried how come America can justify its exclusion from all the measures that the G7 or whoever put forward
I'm not sure their illustrious leader is best known for his knowledge of science. (Or geography. Or history. Or politics...)
To be fair America has never signed up to any measures that will upset the oil barons and the money men.
Not that you are wrong about Trump though
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Tim Down
Acolyte
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Tim Down » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 pm
Thomas Cappleman wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm


Not one to court controversy but I have believed global warming to be a conspiracy theory with very little hard evidence to support it.
Certainly not enough to suggest 'climate change ' is happening now.
A conspiracy theory by who? Who would benefit from it?
Who benefits from all conspiracy theories.
Maybe the green vote in this case.
I mean if it was so cut and dried how come America can justify its exclusion from all the measures that the G7 or whoever put forward
The only thing that will kill this planet from a human point of view is overpopulation causing starvation or nuclear war or a virus
Tackling climate change requires sustained, expensive, long-term investment for little tangible, immediate reward. The real, serious results of not making this investment will not be felt (in the US, at least) over the course of the current US government's term of office. Therefore, the government is incentivised to take the easy way out of doing nothing.

At the risk of sounding patronising, I really suggest doing some reading about climate change. It's real.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3475
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Thread Of Random (for Marc)

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:28 pm

I have read plenty on climate change , global warming and I remember reading compelling evidence of a new ice age.
Admittedly that was nearly fifty years ago.
I maintain a far more real and immediate risk is the ever increasing population problem.
We need to reduce numbers rapidly and promote contraception globally even if it means sorting out the Catholic Church among other global forces that do the opposite
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests