BT Sport miss an open goal.....

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

BT Sport miss an open goal.....

Post by Steven M. McCann »

On their Freeview Showcase Channel (59) they could easily have put on the Liverpool v Manchester United Europa League clash and got millions tuning in, instead they have opted to put on Athletic Bilbao v Valencia instead, which will struggle to break 100,000, if past viewing figures are anything to go by.
Yeah, great work marketing boys!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: BT Sport miss an open goal.....

Post by Jon Corby »

They deliberately don't even promote the free-to-air channel to get people to subscribe. They contractually have to air games free, they don't really want to do it.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Steven M. McCann wrote:On their Freeview Showcase Channel (59) they could easily have put on the Liverpool v Manchester United Europa League clash and got millions tuning in,
Could they though? There are all sorts of deals done that may restrict which matches can be shown free to air. Often times in Ireland a channel that you have paid for will shut down and not show a match but instead display a message saying that that particular match cannot be shown in your area. Similarly, other regions around the world will be able to show the 3 o'clock kickoffs on a Saturday which aren't allowed to be broadcast in the UK. I would imagine the deal done meant that they weren't allowed to show the match. And as Jon says they probably wouldn't want to as they will make more money by getting people to sign up to the subscription service than they will make by adding a few more people to the free view viewing figures. (It may be because I'm currently drunk but I really feel the need to add "you fucking dolt" to that explanation because it seems so bloody obvious that a subscription service is not going to show the most anticipated match free to air. What the fuck trick do you think they're missing?)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

And to be fair I've probably fed the troll but screw it.