How many countries have you been to?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: How many countries have you been to?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:To further confuse this issue with a densely-worded and ridiculously over-punctuated post that is sort of something vaguely related to the matter, I've driven through loads of towns and cities and villages and shit (inevitable when driving through some of them (not that I'd say which)) and I consider that I've "been" to them. Getting out of the car for ten minutes wouldn't make any difference, because what are you going to do in ten minutes that you can't already do while driving the (possibly more than) ten minutes of driving through them? I've never been to Wells Cathedral, for instance, but I've driven through Wells a few times. So have I "been to" Wells? Yes.

Or no.
I think this is a good point because if you're driving through somewhere, you can still see a lot of the place and take in the sights etc.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think this is a good point because if you're driving through somewhere, you can still see a lot of the place and take in the sights etc.
As another f'instance, I've probably driven through (or been driven through) Liverpool more than a hundred times but the only time I got out of the car was to have a meal in a Chinese restaurant for some sort of family celebration or other. So does that count more than actually driving through Liverpool (which is pretty much impossible to do without seeing all the big landmarks, and takes a lot longer than ten minutes)?
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

24: Netherlands, and indeed Holland. Dundalk in the Europa League group stages getting a drawwith ten men away to a decent AZ Alkmaar side :D
Alkmaar's a beautiful little city, surprised it's not more of a tourist destination
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Anyone fancy a trip here?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 pm Chronologically: UK [England], France, Spain (loads of islands), Cyprus, USA, [Wales], Italy, UAE (airport transfers), China, Croatia, Vatican City, [Northern Ireland], [Scotland], Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina*, Montenegro*, Albania* (bus station stopover, out of the bus for like 15-20 mins and made a blog proving I was there), Kosovo*, Macedonia*, Greece*, Bulgaria*, Lithuania*, Latvia*, Estonia*, Finland*, Denmark*, Sweden*, Norway*, Malta.

Countries starred are ones I've been through all on my lonesome!! #StrongIndependentWhiteWomanWhoDontNeedNoTravelCompanions
+ Slovakia, Luxembourg*, Iceland

Up to 37 now (only 13 more European countries to go). Anyone else want to update their numbers?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 pm Anyone else want to update their numbers?
Sure, why not

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:28 pm I want to go to the USA mainly, but that's to meet some mates, not really for the country (though I'm sure it'd be interesting)
This finally happened :D . +USA 4/51 (Maine <3, Florida, New York, Massachusetts, and also New Jersey (bus, twice) and New Hampshire (train) without leaving the vehicle which apparently doesn't count)

I think this puts me at 13
cheers maus
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Played in a football tournament earlier in the year. The team flew in to Cologne, got a bus to Maastricht to our accommodation and then travelled by taxi to Millen in Belgium for the tournament. A great weekend (Maastricht is amazing BTW, highly recommended) but two of those countries were already on the list so just an addition of Belgium for me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

canada soon
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mexico soon
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

f1?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yep.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:35 pm UK (3), Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Vatican City, Montenegro, Croatia, Greece, UAE (transfers only), Japan, Tanzania, South Africa, Zambia, USA for 20 total. No new ones planned for this year yet - may fill in one of the holes in Western Europe
Added Ireland and India, and will add Austria and Slovenia in a couple of weeks for 24 total.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Slovakia and Austria to the list this week.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm Mexico soon
I hope this is still on anyway. Obviously my first thoughts should be with the people in Mexico suffering in all this, rather than wondering whether my trip is going to be affected!

It's weird how slow the news was with this. Last night, the BBC reported that there had been an earthquake and that a building had partially collapsed in Mexico City (something along those lines anyway). Yeah, I think it was a bit more than that, guys.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:06 pm
Thomas Cappleman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:35 pm UK (3), Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Vatican City, Montenegro, Croatia, Greece, UAE (transfers only), Japan, Tanzania, South Africa, Zambia, USA for 20 total. No new ones planned for this year yet - may fill in one of the holes in Western Europe
Added Ireland and India, and will add Austria and Slovenia in a couple of weeks for 24 total.
Done, and thoroughly recommend
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Not quite at the bottom of the list with 6/197 (3/4):
United Kingdom, Netherlands, France, Republic of Ireland, Belgium (purely by the 10-minute rule), Finland (England, Scotland, Wales)
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Graeme Cole wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:32 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
James Laverty wrote:Vatican City (dubious if this is counted)
OF COURSE THIS COUNTS.
Wait what? That's a sovereign state that's a member of the UN in its own right?

I went there while I was in Rome. So 9.
Vatican City is one of the two sovereign states that aren't UN members - the other being Taiwan. At least, I'm not sure whether the other two Sporcle countries that aren't UN members (Kosovo and Palestine) count as sovereign states.

That said, are some of these actually UN members, albeit in some other country's right rather than their own?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Am only at a solid 4: Cyprus, France, The Netherlands, Spain. However, if the Balearics were to be classed in some imaginary world as a country, then it would be raised to a more well-travelled 7 :)
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Tom S wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 pm Am only at a solid 4: Cyprus, France, The Netherlands, Spain. However, if the Balearics were to be classed in some imaginary world as a country, then it would be raised to a more well-travelled 7 :)
Have you never been to the UK?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Yes, just happen to reside there :) . Silly error of mine. You can add Scotland and Wales to the mix, too.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm in Mexico right now, so that can go on my list.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

UK (all 4), France, Greece, Italy, Vatican City, Belgium, Ireland, Czech Republic, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, USA, Singapore, Mexico. I make that 15.

US states - Nevada, Arizona, Massachusetts, Vermont, New York, Connecticut (stopped there briefly), Illinois (connecting flight), Texas, New Jersey,
Pennsylvania, West Virginia (sort of - drove through without stopping, but I'm counting it by the Jim rule), Ohio, Indiana (pretty sure we stopped), Missouri, Colorado. Also 15.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Conor wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:18 pm UK*, Ireland*, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands*, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Czech Rep, Poland, Serbia, Hungary*, Slovakia, America. I have lived in the countries marked *
I can now add Croatia, Bosnia, Brazil, Italy and Greece to the above.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Yearly update time: now up to 41 (+ Monaco*, Romania, Moldova, Ukraine). Anyone want to update?
Last edited by Jennifer Steadman on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Denmark and Sweden done, and should be adding Israel and Palestine in a month.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:52 pm Israel and Palestine
Spicy.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Add the Vatican for me
cheers maus
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I wonder if anyone's been to the Vatican City but not to Italy?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Graeme Cole wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:45 pm I wonder if anyone's been to the Vatican City but not to Italy?
Maybe someone who got airlifted in and out for a big popey thing, but I doubt it

Feels annoying to have been to Italy for the second time, and still not 'completed' it in terms of countries because San Marino
cheers maus
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 amFeels annoying to have been to Italy for the second time, and still not 'completed' it in terms of countries because San Marino
Yep. San Marino can get dicked.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Graeme Cole wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:45 pm I wonder if anyone's been to the Vatican City but not to Italy?
Yes, but I've never been to me.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

33 - UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Andorra, USA, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Sweden, Portugal, Czechia, Netherlands, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Estonia, Finland, Denmark, Poland, Croatia, Montenegro, Morocco, Greece, Belgium, Norway, Slovenia, Iceland, Malta, Romania, Latvia, Lithuania.

And Cuba in January.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:50 pm Yearly update time: now up to 41 (+ Monaco, Romania, Moldova, Ukraine). Anyone want to update?
Just in case you were getting excited that you're catching up, I have a few to add..
Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, Slovakia, Chile, Argentina, Ghana, Philippines.
I make that 54.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

25 Turkey, just passing thru, sadly
26 Israel with work, interesting few days in Tel Aviv mainly, but a trip to the Dead Sea meant....
27 Palestine and adds Palestine to the exclusive list of "countries I've been to without realising I've been to", a list which currently consists of Palestine. That mini-trip adds Jordan to the list of countries I've seen but not actually visited which consists of Jordan, Albania and Switzerland- I'm not counting countries seen from the air cos that would be obscene.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

sean d wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 am 25 Turkey, just passing thru, sadly
26 Israel with work, interesting few days in Tel Aviv mainly, but a trip to the Dead Sea meant....
27 Palestine and adds Palestine to the exclusive list of "countries I've been to without realising I've been to", a list which currently consists of Palestine. That mini-trip adds Jordan to the list of countries I've seen but not actually visited which consists of Jordan, Albania and Switzerland- I'm not counting countries seen from the air cos that would be obscene.
Similarly 27 Israel and 28 Palestine (and having travelled further north, an add Jordan, Lebanon and Syria to countries I've seen but not been to)
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Looks like I miscounted my first post- that had 23 countries not 22, so I'm up to 28. Dundalk are back in the Champions League qualifiers in summer 2019 so here's hoping for Scandinavia or the Baltics!
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:01 am
Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 amFeels annoying to have been to Italy for the second time, and still not 'completed' it in terms of countries because San Marino
I take this back and apologise unreservedly to the fine state of San Marino. A perfect microstate.

(Still lagging behind Norm, but +4 of Switzerland*, Liechtenstein*, Slovenia* and San Marino* to take me to 45.)
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:11 am
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:01 am
I take this back and apologise unreservedly to the fine state of San Marino. A perfect microstate.

(Still lagging behind Norm, but +4 of Switzerland*, Liechtenstein*, Slovenia* and San Marino* to take me to 45.)
Excellent commitment to the cause Jen, picking up the micronations! :D
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

sean d wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:52 pmExcellent commitment to the cause Jen, picking up the micronations! :D
It's definitely commitment going to bloody Liechtenstein. I've seen plankton with more personality and purpose.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:25 pm
sean d wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:52 pmExcellent commitment to the cause Jen, picking up the micronations! :D
It's definitely commitment going to bloody Liechtenstein. I've seen plankton with more personality and purpose.
Racist 😁
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm
Racist 😁
*xenophobe ;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Racist 😁
*xenophobe ;)
Good topic for a debate , the difference between being a racist or a xenophobe.
If you had said , say , Zimbabwe instead of Lichtenstein
would it be racist or xenophobic ?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:50 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Racist 😁
*xenophobe ;)
Good topic for a debate , the difference between being a racist or a xenophobe.
If you had said , say , Zimbabwe instead of Lichtenstein
would it be racist or xenophobic ?
I don't think there is a clear-cut difference. There aren't really separate "races" of people anyway. But basically if you mock/diss/whatever people from a country where the people look a bit different from you it's seen as racist.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Turkey
Spain
England
Wales
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

UK
France
Ireland
Spain
Greece
Italy
Kenya
USA
The Netherlands
Germany
Portugal
Cote d'Ivoire

Fuck, is that all?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Not counting countries where I never got beyond the airport...

UK
Iceland
France
Spain
Italy
Germany
Croatia (or Yugoslavia as it was when I went)
Czech Republic
Hungary
Switzerland
Netherlands
Belgium
Denmark
Malta
Egypt
South Africa
Peru
Cuba
Australia
India
Cathy Summerside

Post by Cathy Summerside »

Ooh, I just noticed there's a leader board! So, on the basis that I'll never get into the top 3 on any other Countdown scoreboard, I offer mine:

UK (4/4), Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Italy, Vatican City, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Greece, Cyprus, Netherlands, Montenegro, Croatia, Austria, Luxembourg, Monaco, Switzerland, Turkey, Malta, Israel, Palestine, Egypt, Morocco, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Haiti, Barbados, Bahamas, China, Singapore, Indonesia, India (I make that 38). Before Co:MK I will have added Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia (provided everything goes according to plan) bringing the total to 42.

Perhaps there should be an age-related handicap - I have been on this planet at least twice as long as most of you. :D
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Czech Rep, Poland, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, America, Croatia, Bosnia, Brazil, Italy, Greece, Switzerland and Russia now. Iceland shortly and at least Japan later in the year.

US states: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Florida, California and Nevada (plus Washington D.C.)
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Year-end update: China (airport only), New Zealand and Russia, bringing to 31. Was due to add Romania on a work trip this month, but cancelled for now (may still make it later this year anyway).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Added Switzerland (airport) and France (properly) last year.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

I did do Iceland and Japan, and also India and China. Including just airports, you can add Qatar, UAE and South Korea.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Add China and Myanmar as of today, putting me on 16. For the zero people who care about US states, last summer's Washington makes it 5 (or 7 with drive throughs)
cheers maus
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Spain
UK (obviously)
USA
Greenland (plane refuel ONLY)
Canada
Brazil
North Macedonia (it was Yugoslavia when I went In 91)
Turkey (I forgot that one)

And that’s it (I think)