How many countries have you been to?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: How many countries have you been to?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:45 pm

JimBentley wrote:To further confuse this issue with a densely-worded and ridiculously over-punctuated post that is sort of something vaguely related to the matter, I've driven through loads of towns and cities and villages and shit (inevitable when driving through some of them (not that I'd say which)) and I consider that I've "been" to them. Getting out of the car for ten minutes wouldn't make any difference, because what are you going to do in ten minutes that you can't already do while driving the (possibly more than) ten minutes of driving through them? I've never been to Wells Cathedral, for instance, but I've driven through Wells a few times. So have I "been to" Wells? Yes.

Or no.
I think this is a good point because if you're driving through somewhere, you can still see a lot of the place and take in the sights etc.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:44 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think this is a good point because if you're driving through somewhere, you can still see a lot of the place and take in the sights etc.
As another f'instance, I've probably driven through (or been driven through) Liverpool more than a hundred times but the only time I got out of the car was to have a meal in a Chinese restaurant for some sort of family celebration or other. So does that count more than actually driving through Liverpool (which is pretty much impossible to do without seeing all the big landmarks, and takes a lot longer than ten minutes)?

sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:06 am

24: Netherlands, and indeed Holland. Dundalk in the Europa League group stages getting a drawwith ten men away to a decent AZ Alkmaar side :D
Alkmaar's a beautiful little city, surprised it's not more of a tourist destination

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Anyone fancy a trip here?

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 pm
Chronologically: UK [England], France, Spain (loads of islands), Cyprus, USA, [Wales], Italy, UAE (airport transfers), China, Croatia, Vatican City, [Northern Ireland], [Scotland], Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina*, Montenegro*, Albania* (bus station stopover, out of the bus for like 15-20 mins and made a blog proving I was there), Kosovo*, Macedonia*, Greece*, Bulgaria*, Lithuania*, Latvia*, Estonia*, Finland*, Denmark*, Sweden*, Norway*, Malta.

Countries starred are ones I've been through all on my lonesome!! #StrongIndependentWhiteWomanWhoDontNeedNoTravelCompanions
+ Slovakia, Luxembourg*, Iceland

Up to 37 now (only 13 more European countries to go). Anyone else want to update their numbers?
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Thomas Carey
Devotee

Post by Thomas Carey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:58 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 pm
Anyone else want to update their numbers?
Sure, why not

Thomas Carey wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:28 pm
I want to go to the USA mainly, but that's to meet some mates, not really for the country (though I'm sure it'd be interesting)
This finally happened :D . +USA 4/51 (Maine <3, Florida, New York, Massachusetts, and also New Jersey (bus, twice) and New Hampshire (train) without leaving the vehicle which apparently doesn't count)

I think this puts me at 13
signature

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Played in a football tournament earlier in the year. The team flew in to Cologne, got a bus to Maastricht to our accommodation and then travelled by taxi to Millen in Belgium for the tournament. A great weekend (Maastricht is amazing BTW, highly recommended) but two of those countries were already on the list so just an addition of Belgium for me.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:09 pm

canada soon

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Mexico soon

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:40 pm

f1?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:33 am

Yep.

Thomas Cappleman
Acolyte

Post by Thomas Cappleman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Thomas Cappleman wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:35 pm
UK (3), Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Vatican City, Montenegro, Croatia, Greece, UAE (transfers only), Japan, Tanzania, South Africa, Zambia, USA for 20 total. No new ones planned for this year yet - may fill in one of the holes in Western Europe
Added Ireland and India, and will add Austria and Slovenia in a couple of weeks for 24 total.

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59 am

Slovakia and Austria to the list this week.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm
Mexico soon
I hope this is still on anyway. Obviously my first thoughts should be with the people in Mexico suffering in all this, rather than wondering whether my trip is going to be affected!

It's weird how slow the news was with this. Last night, the BBC reported that there had been an earthquake and that a building had partially collapsed in Mexico City (something along those lines anyway). Yeah, I think it was a bit more than that, guys.

Thomas Cappleman
Acolyte

Post by Thomas Cappleman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 am

Thomas Cappleman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:06 pm
Thomas Cappleman wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:35 pm
UK (3), Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Italy, Vatican City, Montenegro, Croatia, Greece, UAE (transfers only), Japan, Tanzania, South Africa, Zambia, USA for 20 total. No new ones planned for this year yet - may fill in one of the holes in Western Europe
Added Ireland and India, and will add Austria and Slovenia in a couple of weeks for 24 total.
Done, and thoroughly recommend

Stewart Gordon
Acolyte

Post by Stewart Gordon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Not quite at the bottom of the list with 6/197 (3/4):
United Kingdom, Netherlands, France, Republic of Ireland, Belgium (purely by the 10-minute rule), Finland (England, Scotland, Wales)

Stewart Gordon
Acolyte

Post by Stewart Gordon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:32 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
James Laverty wrote:Vatican City (dubious if this is counted)
OF COURSE THIS COUNTS.
Wait what? That's a sovereign state that's a member of the UN in its own right?

I went there while I was in Rome. So 9.
Vatican City is one of the two sovereign states that aren't UN members - the other being Taiwan. At least, I'm not sure whether the other two Sporcle countries that aren't UN members (Kosovo and Palestine) count as sovereign states.

That said, are some of these actually UN members, albeit in some other country's right rather than their own?