Count Arthur Strong

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

Count Arthur Strong

Post by JimBentley »

...as requested. Not something I've really got into yet but it's the sort of thing I could imagine getting into. I've promoted worse things.

Anyway, here's your thread, Marc.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Count Arthur Strong

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've been reading Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom and it's (partly) about how a superintelligent AI might take over the world and kill us all. It talks about how people might decide to keep a superintelligent AI on an isolated computer unconnected to the internet and so unable to start any forum threads, but that that might not work because the superintelligent AI might still take control using its powers of persuasion to get people to do its bidding. Also, it might deliberately not reveal how intelligent it is and play dumb.

Anyway the point is that Count Arthur Strong is based on this book. That is the point I was making.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:a superintelligent AI on an isolated computer unconnected to the internet and so unable to start any forum threads
I reckon a superintelligent AI - even if its programming was connected to the internet - would have bigger things on its "mind" than arguing the toss about crap on internet forums anyway. Unless it was doing everything in parallel and could do "clever" and "dumb" things simultaneously?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:a superintelligent AI on an isolated computer unconnected to the internet and so unable to start any forum threads
I reckon a superintelligent AI - even if its programming was connected to the internet - would have bigger things on its "mind" than arguing the toss about crap on internet forums anyway. Unless it was doing everything in parallel and could do "clever" and "dumb" things simultaneously?
All I'm saying is don't blame me when Marc Meakin takes over the world.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
All I'm saying is don't blame me when Marc Meakin takes over the world.
Indeed, I'm sure he (is) or they (are) "biding time", but it's a risk I'm prepared to deal with. I might be run over by a truck tomorrow (if my being-run-over-by-a-truck stunt goes wrong, but that's not really relevant here). We all take risks. I just don't think this is a risk we should be scared of yet.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

If you get run over by a truck I will be sure to call St Anne's Jombulance
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT