New Year Honours............

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

New Year Honours............

Post by Steven M. McCann »

Surely both Louis Van Gaal and Jose Mourinho should have been recognised............. for their services to comedy!
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Re: New Year Honours............

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I hoped this was going to be your list of C4C awards. That would be a much better thread!

Best C4C poster: Jim Bentley. Single-handedly tried to revive the flagging Off Topic boards. Thought deeply about stuff. Suggested creating a giant gold statue of David Cameron that fired lasers out of its eyes to replace Trident. Offered to be one of Corby's Crazy In Love backing dancers. Said he was coming to COLIN next year. Easy win.
Honorary mention goes out to Gev for trying to start Sanctumgate part 2.

Best recapper: Me, obviously. Not me being a narcissist, this just isn't even a competition.

Most Countdown-obsessed subconscious: Ben Wilson. No competition again.

Best Apterite: Zarte Siempre. Might have given up hosting Aptotude but did a damn fine job of running it for 3 years, ran 2 series of The Mole, organised the smooth-running CoMK (which had the largest Co event attendance ever), and if that wasn't enough, he's been SINGLE-HANDEDLY going through literally thousands of the new OED word additions and adding all of their inflections - including inflections of the many alternate spellings on certain words. And let's not forget the miracle of him walking!!!
Honorary mention to Ray Wilding for uploading to Apterous the lists of OED addition headwords that Z can work from.

Best Countdown contestant: The old lady who buzzed not because she knew the answer, but just so she could say she'd buzzed. Can't remember her name but she was great.

Best Dictionary Corner guest: Rufus Hound. He was funny.

Most #FashionWatch2k15y contestant: Hazel Drury for bringing back the flowery headband.

Lifetime achievement award: Graeme Cole for still answering people's statty questions in Ask Graeme, obviously <3
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Lifetime achievement award: Graeme Cole for still answering people's statty questions in Ask Graeme, obviously <3
This is a patronising award you give to people who aren't going to achieve anything else in their lives. Graeme's work is very much ongoing and he's not about to retire because he's not allowed to!

But in the "real" one, Lynton Crosby and Ed Davey are among the "highlights".
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Best recapper: Me, obviously. Not me being a narcissist, this just isn't even a competition.
I rarely read recaps. I tend to open the threads if I'm looking for something specific or if there's been a reply so I don't get to see many of your obviously brilliant recaps. But I have noticed that when there's a Darren, you put a picture up of some footballer. Is he called Darren then? I think I'd give you this award if you widened your Darren library, rather than using the same person all the time. There are a lot of Darrens in the world.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Lifetime achievement award: Graeme Cole for still answering people's statty questions in Ask Graeme, obviously <3
This is a patronising award you give to people who aren't going to achieve anything else in their lives. Graeme's work is very much ongoing and he's not about to retire because he's not allowed to!

But in the "real" one, Lynton Crosby and Ed Davey are among the "highlights".
Can't believe you would even suggest that's the case with Graeme! :( You're right w/r to most awards shows that feature a lifetime achievement award, but there are others where they celebrate the amount of work done so far without detracting from what they're yet to do.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Best recapper: Me, obviously. Not me being a narcissist, this just isn't even a competition.
I rarely read recaps. I tend to open the threads if I'm looking for something specific or if there's been a reply so I don't get to see many of your obviously brilliant recaps. But I have noticed that when there's a Darren, you put a picture up of some footballer. Is he called Darren then? I think I'd give you this award if you widened your Darren library, rather than using the same person all the time. There are a lot of Darrens in the world.
Not famous ones that I've heard of. I have occasionally veered from the footballer Darren Bent (Derren Brown, think I've used Darren Anderton too? and Susie Dent...ren and cartoon character Daria as not-quite Darrens) but Darren Bent keeps me coming back for more.

The best one I did this year was obviously the one where I slagged off Gyles Brandreth loads using Thomas the Tank Engine reaction GIFs (here). Anyone who disagrees has terrible taste in recaps.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Said he was coming to COLIN next year. Easy win.
Looking forward to Jen v Jim at COLIN to see Jim disprove this!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Best C4C poster: Jim Bentley. Single-handedly tried to revive the flagging Off Topic boards.
Aw, I'm blushing now (although that might be because I had a bit too much to drink last night). I didn't think anyone had noticed. If I get to do an acceptance speech, I'd like to thank everyone for reading because you know, it's all about giving at this time of year or something and it must take some stamina to keep up with all my bullshit (I've had to set up several spreadsheets to keep track of it myself).

Anyway, New Year Honours........... eh? I did like (Sir) Lynton Crosby, for "political services", that was funny. A lobbyist for tobacco firms who "masterminded" the rigging of the last election. Yeah, he's only done good for the country, it's only fitting that he should be elevated to the same status as such other luminaries as Jimmy Savile and Rolf Harris, not that I'm conflating the two issues*.

* I am of course
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Darren Day is a classic
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:Darren Day is a classic
"Celebrity love rat Darren Day", please, let's get the nomenclature right if we're going to discuss the borderline E-list semi-celebrity sex pest Darren Day.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Coming to a channel 5 screen near you.
One of the few people on CBB worth watching, though Angie Bowie might be interesting
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Hazel Drury

Post by Hazel Drury »

Most #FashionWatch2k15y contestant: Hazel Drury for bringing back the flowery headband.
I know it's a bit late, but thanks Jen! :D :)