Conor McGregor: Hipster Skeletor or Bond Villain?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

Conor McGregor: Hipster Skeletor or Bond Villain?

Post by JimBentley »

(notwithstanding that he can be both)

After the Aldo fight, he seems to be being talked up in certain sections of the media as almost Machiavellian in his planning. I don't dispute that he plays mind games - who doesn't, in sport? - but I think it's slightly troubling that the consensus seems to be coming down largely along the lines of what he says, however stupid. I've only seen one article that is telling the truth - that he will basically do what the fuck his organisation tell him, no matter what fantasies he has in mind - and that was from a mainstream newspaper.

Is this just a case of old journalists thinking they've "seen it all before" and not understanding the Hipster Skeletor's ability to change this particular game? Or is it more bluster?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Conor McGregor: Hipster Skeletor or Bond Villain?

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha, this is obviously my favourite one yet and although I feel best qualified to get involved you really have gone full abstract on me.

I had never heard this "Mystic Mac" thing until after the Aldo fight. I don't have the time or inclination to go through everything he's said, not just because I don't have the time but also because he has said A LOT. And when you say that much, you're bound to eventually hit a lot of targets and look like a twisted genius somewhere down the line, especially in the eyes of infatuated fans.

He is very close to Dana White. I don't know if from Dana's point of view that comes down to anything more than the fact that Conor is a single pair of legs that can break the UFC big into a whole new regional market, but while he's achieving everything he wants, AND everything the organisation wants, AND getting paid for it, it's almost inconsequential if he's just doing "what the fuck the organisation tell him".

What interests me most is that the character he plays works far better as a cocky challenger, not as an undisputed champion. The cheeky underdog, the annoying underling - everything about him now has been "my god he's a bit of a dick but I can't help love him" and now that he's on the top of the throne it remains to be seen whether what he says will even make much contextual sense let alone feel 'right'. I'm sure excited to find out though. The dick.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Conor McGregor: Hipster Skeletor or Bond Villain?

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:He is very close to Dana White. I don't know if from Dana's point of view that comes down to anything more than the fact that Conor is a single pair of legs that can break the UFC big into a whole new regional market, but while he's achieving everything he wants, AND everything the organisation wants, AND getting paid for it, it's almost inconsequential if he's just doing "what the fuck the organisation tell him".
That's sort of what I was trying to get at; he's trying to have his cake and eat it. Personally I think he's being used but plainly he doesn't and nor do most of his followers. Unless he really is a Bond villain and turns everything on its head next year...I think I'll probably turn out to be right.
Matt Morrison wrote:The cheeky underdog, the annoying underling - everything about him now has been "my god he's a bit of a dick but I can't help love him" and now that he's on the top of the throne it remains to be seen whether what he says will even make much contextual sense let alone feel 'right'. I'm sure excited to find out though. The dick.
I can't argue with any of that.