Tyson Fury: Fundamentalist bigot or misunderstood mental patient?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

Tyson Fury: Fundamentalist bigot or misunderstood mental patient?

Post by JimBentley »

Amazed nobody's started a thread about this yet, so I will.

Unless you've been comatose for last couple of weeks, Tyson Fury will have come to your attention. If he hasn't, stop reading here. I can't be arsed to go into the litany of shit that has surrounded this man since he "won" the heavyweight boxing title at the end of last month; sufficed to say that he seems to be a bit of a prick. I'd be interested to hear anybody else's take on him, though.

Personally, I think he's a bit of both (i.e. a bigot with mental problems). At heart he is fairly obvious Christian fundamentalist - I don't think he's a good enough actor to fake it for this long, so he must in a way believe what he's saying - but this is only because he genuinely doesn't know any better. He was brought up to think that way. I think his upbringing has made him both bigoted and mentally unbalanced, and all that being hit in the head probably hasn't really helped his abilities to form critical opinions. But that's just my opinion.

The whole furore over whether he should or shouldn't be in Sports Personality of the Year is another load of shit. I love the people saying "at least he's not a robot, he's got a personality". This is patently stupid, everybody has a personality (although it is hard to tell in some cases); I think what these people are confusing with a personality is actually a personality disorder. I am pretty cynical, but I can't believe that the British public are so stupid as to vote for this obvious clown. It's immaterial whether he's included in the poll as there's zero chance of him winning. But it might be funny if he's there because he'll have to be interviewed and he'll almost certainly say something stupid. In his funny Frank Sidebottom/George Formby voice.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Tyson Fury: Fundamentalist bigot or misunderstood mental patient?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:Amazed nobody's started a thread about this yet, so I will.
I don't think you're actually amazed though given that very few things get a thread on here these days.

But anyway, it's something that I struggle to get worked up about. People like him exist. Idiots exist. There are enough people getting worked up about it for not to have to. As for winning Sports Personality of the Year - I wonder if he actually could. Presumably it's a "First Past the Post" election, so even if most people hate him, it only takes a certain number of determined trolls to get him to win this. Didn't Justin Fashanu "win" once? Part of me wants to see it happen just to see the reaction. Actually, I'm not being honest. I completely want him to win.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Amazed nobody's started a thread about this yet, so I will.
Didn't Justin Fashanu "win" once? Part of me wants to see it happen just to see the reaction. Actually, I'm not being honest. I completely want him to win.
He did indeed, but the BBC "disallowed" the result because he wasn't an official candidate. It would have been unimaginably funny if he'd been allowed to win, given the sort of indiscreet things he was coming out with at the time regarding certain members of the Conservative Party, one of whom is still in office as I type.

Tyson Fury is a different beast, but basically it doesn't matter if he wins or not, as long as he's there and - as he inevitably must be - asked to comment. And that will be genuinely car crash TV.

Anyhow, if he doesn't win this, I'm sure he can be voted "funniest comedian" or whatever at the National Television Awards, or whatever is the one that's basically down to a public vote.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Also, what kind of name is "Tyson Fury"? Is that his real name? You don't get chess players or Countdown octochamps with that name. All seems a bit convenient to me.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, what kind of name is "Tyson Fury"? Is that his real name? You don't get chess players or Countdown octochamps with that name. All seems a bit convenient to me.
Have you read the backstory? It will make your head fall off if you're even slightly surprised that he ended up being named Tyson Fury.

Also he's in a conspiracy with the New World Order to make Rhys Benjamin the Conservative Party leader in 2030 so that Rhys's opponent (probably SNP but it's not been decided yet) can be assassinated in order to usher in lizards or something.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, what kind of name is "Tyson Fury"? Is that his real name? You don't get chess players or Countdown octochamps with that name. All seems a bit convenient to me.
Have you read the backstory? It will make your head fall off if you're even slightly surprised that he ended up being named Tyson Fury.

Also he's in a conspiracy with the New World Order to make Rhys Benjamin the Conservative Party leader in 2030 so that Rhys's opponent (probably SNP but it's not been decided yet) can be assassinated in order to usher in lizards or something.
Sounds crazy. Anyway I looked it up and apparently he was named after Mike Tyson (I did sort of suspect) and "Fury" is just is surname. Also his middle name is "Luke". Crazy stuff.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I really don't understand why anybody gives a flying fuck about "Sports Personality of the Year", or anything voted for by the British public, including elections and X-Factor.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I really don't understand why anybody gives a flying fuck about "Sports Personality of the Year", or anything voted for by the British public, including elections and X-Factor.
Good.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:I really don't understand why anybody gives a flying fuck about "Sports Personality of the Year", or anything voted for by the British public, including elections and X-Factor.
Good.
I really hope you remembered that specific post, and didn't just go to the Election and X-Factor threads and search for my name. That would make you a big fraud.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Good.
I really hope you remembered that specific post, and didn't just go to the Election and X-Factor threads and search for my name. That would make you a big fraud.
Of course I remembered it. And I thought "what a cunt" at the time. My overall opinion of you is largely formed from that post.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ignoring Jono and Gevin's love-in (seriously, you two need to share a room at COLIN, I think) I wonder if anyone is interested in the view that Tyson is now being discriminated against, indeed "bullied" by people who dislike his Irish Traveller heritage? Me, I think it's perfectly reasonable to dislike a "heritage" that actively promotes a disdain of education (especially for women), loose "laws", largely based around long-forgotten blood ties that pretty much dictate that wrongdoing should be punished by a system of rough justice and an absolute faith in an infallible deity (that doesn't exist).

Bit like disliking the "terror group" ISIS? Or a deliberate conflation of two completely separate issues? Any answers welcome.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

JimBentley wrote:Ignoring Jono and Gevin's love-in (seriously, you two need to share a room at COLIN, I think) I wonder if anyone is interested in the view that Tyson is now being discriminated against, indeed "bullied" by people who dislike his Irish Traveller heritage? Me, I think it's perfectly reasonable to dislike a "heritage" that actively promotes a disdain of education (especially for women), loose "laws", largely based around long-forgotten blood ties that pretty much dictate that wrongdoing should be punished by a system of rough justice and an absolute faith in an infallible deity (that doesn't exist).

Bit like disliking the "terror group" ISIS? Or a deliberate conflation of two completely separate issues? Any answers welcome.
The problem is is that there are people who don't care for that "heritage" but are still identifiable as Travellers due to their accent or even appearance so in that sense they are almost a kind of race and they face abuse and discrimination. From my dealings with them the nice ones are few and far between but I've seen them have to endure terrible stuff because of the perception and reputation of the rest and they bemoan the antics of the group at large.

When I worked in a leisure centre there was nothing worse than a group of travellers coming in. They'd buy new clothes before coming in and just leave all their old filthy stuff behind in the dressing room. But you'd get one or two really nice guys who hung their head at that sort of carry on. But before you got to know they were the alright ones you would have prejudged them. It's a tricky situation.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote:The problem is is that there are people who don't care for that "heritage" but are still identifiable as Travellers due to their accent or even appearance so in that sense they are almost a kind of race and they face abuse and discrimination. From my dealings with them the nice ones are few and far between but I've seen them have to endure terrible stuff because of the perception and reputation of the rest and they bemoan the antics of the group at large.
Cheers Mark, that's exactly the sort of thing I want to talk about.

It's a very interesting issue, definitely. I don't claim to have any answers, but I've spent fifteen years dealing with traders of all kinds, from corporate entities (you don't know where the fuck you are with them), through any kind of shop you can think of, to market traders, internet wunderkinds and internet idiots. I have a lot of stories about the Traveller influence on these people, nice and nasty. But I'd prefer to hear what other people think first.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

My main experience of travellers in Leeds was that they'd move onto a spare bit of grass, fill it with waste tyres and a stack of filth (empty gas bottles and general rubbish), and while they were there, the young boys would ramble around the local area trying to cause bother (I particularly remember getting threated with a golf club with the head broken off). It was a common childhood scare that someone would shout "the gypoes are coming", and we'd leg it.

Then when the council moved them on, the tyres would invariably get burnt by the local kids. This cycle was broken somewhat by the blocking of vehicular access to any bit of empty land and the provision of permanent sites. I can understand while many people have a problem with them.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

https://www.facebook.com/leann.kiernan. ... 8257467691 Here's a nice story about Travellers just to prove you can't tar them all with the same brush.