What gloves should I buy?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

What gloves should I buy?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I want some gloves that work in the snow, so I can make snowmen/igloos and participate in snowball fights etc. They need to be both warm and waterproof. Not some wishy-washy form of "water resistant" - I should be able to put my hands into water and leave them there and not get wet. My current gloves let water through. I generally put latex gloves on underneath, and then my smaller gloves underneath them as well (yeah, and a second pair of latex gloves underneath them as well) and still end up with cold hands, but this is ridiculous. It's not a very good solution anyway because water gets into the big gloves before it reaches the first waterproof layer so I'm carrying cold water round with me and there's no way latex gloves are going outside them - they wouldn't fit and it would look stupid.

So yes, I want to wear just one pair of decent gloves and be done with it. But it's really hard to tell from the descriptions how good glove would actually be. I don't want to buy a pair of "water resistant" gloves only to find that my hands get soaking wet and freezing cold when they first go into some snow.

Rather than more "normal" gloves, what about something like these?

Edit (picture):

Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: What gloves should I buy?

Post by Jon Corby »

Have you tried putting your hands in your mum's muff?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Have you tried putting your hands in your mum's muff?
No, only your mum's.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Have you tried putting your hands in your mum's muff?
No, only your mum's.
How would you fit a muff in another muff?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I generally put latex gloves on underneath, and then my smaller gloves underneath them as well (yeah, and a second pair of latex gloves underneath them as well)
:shock:

You can't make a decent snowball with gloves on.. it's just not possible. I think the melting effect of your body heat helps to compact the snow.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Who the fuck are you playing snowballs with Gev? Do their parents know?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Who the fuck are you playing snowballs with Gev? Do their parents know?
I assume he wants to be prepared for a snowball fight at this (next) year's COLIN after his pathetic showing at the last one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I generally put latex gloves on underneath, and then my smaller gloves underneath them as well (yeah, and a second pair of latex gloves underneath them as well)
:shock:

You can't make a decent snowball with gloves on.. it's just not possible. I think the melting effect of your body heat helps to compact the snow.
I've never heard/experienced this. It's also for snowmen/igloos etc. If you don't wear gloves you can only play for a couple of minutes before you basically die.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Who the fuck are you playing snowballs with Gev? Do their parents know?
I assume he wants to be prepared for a snowball fight at this (next) year's COLIN after his pathetic showing at the last one.
What? I was awesome. Anyway I sometimes play with my nephews. Of course, we might not get decent snow for years but I need to be prepared. But recently we've had better snow than we used to get. Who remembers the days when it basically never snowed?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Who remembers the days when it basically never snowed?
What, you mean all the days since it last snowed? Yeah, I remember them. Well, most of them.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Who remembers the days when it basically never snowed?
What, you mean all the days since it last snowed? Yeah, I remember them. Well, most of them.
Idiot.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So basically we have "normal" gloves like these. But I wonder about the genuine waterproofness of "materially" gloves.

Then we have more sort of "work" gloves like these and the ones I linked to in the first post. I'm guessing that the two different colours indicate the waterproof bit and the non-waterproof bit. Ideally these should be fully waterproof, but I should be able to tell from the pictures which have the best coverage.

Then, perhaps a bit extreme, but we have gloves for watersports like these. They have a decent chance of being waterproof I'd say.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was expecting more glove experts to come out of the woodwork actually. But as the famous Albert Einstein quote goes: "Start a topic on any subject on an internet forum and you will find a glut of instant experts. That is - any topic apart from gloves." That Albert Einstein - he knew it all.

But I've definitely decided against regular "material" gloves even if they claim to be waterproof. Watersports gloves still seem a little excessive, so work gloves may be the answer, but the waterproof part needs to have good coverage. These seem pretty good in that respect.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Get some ski gloves.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Get some ski gloves.
I'm not sure I'd trust them to be properly waterproof.

Anyway, it appears that this glove hunt may have come to a premature end. I was looking at gloves again and came across these, which seemed to have the perfect specifications. Basically 4.5 circles out of 5 for both cold and wet protection. But they also look a bit mental:

I think they'd also be a bit unwieldy and indeed they only have 0.5 out of 5 for dexterity. And there's only one size and they might be a bit big. But then I found these, which also seem to offer good cold and wet protection without looking quite as mental:

It's also available in different sizes. On Amazon the few (well, two) ratings it had were both five stars and another glove from the same brand that had more ratings also came out looking quite good. This looked to be the winner, but then...

Someone said to me today "By the way, don't buy any gloves." What? Yes, that means I've got gloves for Christmas. I suppose it's my fault for going on about these gloves to anyone who will listen. But will they have done the required research? And what if it snows before Christmas? I was probably going to order these today, so it was just chance that this person told me not to buy any gloves before I had. I mean, obviously I'm grateful that this person was thinking of me and that I'm getting some gloves for Christmas. But I also do feel like I've just been neutered in some way.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Someone said to me today "By the way, don't buy any gloves." What? Yes, that means I've got gloves for Christmas. I suppose it's my fault for going on about these gloves to anyone who will listen. But will they have done the required research? And what if it snows before Christmas? I was probably going to order these today, so it was just chance that this person told me not to buy any gloves before I had. I mean, obviously I'm grateful that this person was thinking of me and that I'm getting some gloves for Christmas. But I also do feel like I've just been neutered in some way.
Link them this thread?
cheers maus
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Image
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Someone said to me today "By the way, don't buy any gloves." What? Yes, that means I've got gloves for Christmas.
Could be the work of the Mitten Marketing Board.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Get some ski gloves.
I'm not sure I'd trust them to be properly waterproof.

Anyway, it appears that this glove hunt may have come to a premature end. I was looking at gloves again and came across these, which seemed to have the perfect specifications. Basically 4.5 circles out of 5 for both cold and wet protection. But they also look a bit mental:

I think they'd also be a bit unwieldy and indeed they only have 0.5 out of 5 for dexterity. And there's only one size and they might be a bit big. But then I found these, which also seem to offer good cold and wet protection without looking quite as mental:

It's also available in different sizes. On Amazon the few (well, two) ratings it had were both five stars and another glove from the same brand that had more ratings also came out looking quite good. This looked to be the winner, but then...

Someone said to me today "By the way, don't buy any gloves." What? Yes, that means I've got gloves for Christmas. I suppose it's my fault for going on about these gloves to anyone who will listen. But will they have done the required research? And what if it snows before Christmas? I was probably going to order these today, so it was just chance that this person told me not to buy any gloves before I had. I mean, obviously I'm grateful that this person was thinking of me and that I'm getting some gloves for Christmas. But I also do feel like I've just been neutered in some way.
There's an update to this. I got the gloves for Christmas and they're very nice and everything, but sometimes with this recent weather my hands have still got very cold when out running. It's also always good to have a spare pair, so I've just ordered a pair of the Skytec gloves (the bottom picture).