I'm a Celebrity...........2015

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

I'm a Celebrity...........2015

Post by Steven M. McCann »

I know who 3 of them are for definite, I have a vague idea who 4 of the others are, but as for the other 3..... not a bloody clue!
The nerve of some of these people, to declare "I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here!" when around 98% of the viewers wouldn't have the slightest idea who they are!
It turns out that Anne Robinson, 50 Cent, Piers Morgan, Eamonn Holmes, Jeremy Clarkson, Paul Gascoigne,etc etc etc.... are not going in after all.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: I'm a Celebrity...........2015

Post by Jon Corby »

Which 3 do you know please? I would have said 5 or 6 would count as very well known (there's only 2 of the 10 so far that I wouldn't have been able to name from a photo). I never have a clue who the TOWIE/Chelsea/Geordie Shore ones are, but there aren't any of them this year (yet).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I know four well, and one I'm aware of. Don't recognise the other names. Happily it's not something I watch though. I believe one of the presenters lost his sight in an unfortunate teenage event too.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

I knew Eubank,Dyer and Hadley, had a vague idea about the Dragons Den guy, the fashion lady, the Hollyoaks girl and the Blue Peter lady, as for the boy bander, the royal expert and the choreographer........afraid not.
My definition of a Celebrity is, if you stop someone in the street show them a picture of a "Celebrity" and at least half of them would know who it was
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Using your own definition you're not in a position to judge their celebrity, as maybe you're just in the half that don't know them?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Steven, are you planning to watch the series despite its lack of 'proper celebrities' (in your estimation)?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

"Celebrity" seems to be infectious these days, take Brooklyn Beckham for example, he's a "Celebrity" only because of his parents, whoever he dates will now become a minor "Celebrity".
Some Chefs are now "Celebrities" simply because some celebrities frequented their restaurants.
As for your question Jennifer, I may watch a bit of it as I've backed Chris Eubank to win it.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

OK. The people who usually complain about this are the ones who watch obsessively, which is quite funny because they're helping contribute to the high viewing figures that see shows like this, Strictly, Celebrity Big Brother, Celebrity Masterchef and suchlike renewed yearly, which in turn means so many celebrity contestants are needed for various shows each year that the pool of 'proper celebrities' willing to take part is massively overfished. The only way to keep these shows going - as the public demands - is to widen what constitutes a 'proper celebrity'.

But different age groups will consider different people to be proper celebrities anyway. Pretty much anyone over the age of 25 would scoff at a YouTuber being considered a celebrity, but Zoella is so popular among her fanbase that when she released a book, it broke the record for first-week sales for a debut author. She's far more famous and relevant to people under 25 than Tony Hadley is (I doubt a majority of people my age know who he is). Why should celebrities be decided by who people over 40 do or don't know?

I agree that it's silly that Brooklyn Beckham is considered a celebrity just because came into existence thanks to a pop star's egg and a footballer's sperm, but if he's in the public eye and people recognise his name, then that's certainly enough to constitute ODO's second definition of celebrity.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Steven M. McCann wrote: he's a "Celebrity" only because of his parents,
As Karl Pilkington once said, "You could say the same about Jesus".
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm not watching this, so can someone (e.g. Steven M. McCann) list all the contestants with a picture and short biography, so I can determine objectively* whether they should be included. Thank you.

*I have these powers.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Gavin, I caught a bit of it tonight (after The Apprentice, which I do watch obsessively) apparently there's a "I'm a Celebrity" free app you can download for your smartphone, tablet etc.... which will fill you in on all you need to know about the show and it's "Celebrities", that should answer all your questions
Three more household names (in their own households!) joined the show tonight from the three reality shows named by Jon Corby earlier on this thread.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Three more household names (in their own households!) joined the show tonight from the three reality shows named by Jon Corby earlier on this thread.
Yeah, I have no idea who those three are. Odd decision to add three nobodies to what is (IMO, obvs) a prettystrong line-up celebrity-wise.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I've backed Chris Eubank to win it.
Oof
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

I'm afraid I broke the first rule of betting on reality television, DON'T dive in and bet on who you think will win, wait a while and then bet on who the PRODUCERS want to win and you won't go too far wrong.
Mr Eubank blew his chances by not volunteering to do any Bush Tucker Trials and got practically edited out of the show because of this.
Not that it would have made much difference, as this year ITV have obviously decided they want Vicky to win and they are doing everything in their power to make sure she does, the show could easily be renamed "Vicky in the Jungle" such is the attention she's getting!