What films have you watched lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: What films have you watched lately?

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Saw Assault on Precinct 13 the other night. Very watchable relative to its budget, and pleasing soundtrack of course, which is all I'd previously been aware of.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:01 pm
Saw Assault on Precinct 13 the other night. Very watchable relative to its budget, and pleasing soundtrack of course, which is all I'd previously been aware of.
If it's the John Carpenter original, then it's a superb film and I do believe it's his film score too.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Paul Worsley
Acolyte

Post by Paul Worsley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Beasts of No Nation.. A difficult subject, but very well handled. Violent at times, but thought provoking and harrowing.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Anyone seen the German film "Look Who's Back" ("Er ist wieder da")? It's pretty dark, but really funny (if you like that kind of humour) and I think has some interesting points to make. It's basically "what if Hitler came back in the present day and what would he do" and while they milk it (Hitler in incongruous situations etc.), it's well worth watching.

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm
Anyone seen the German film "Look Who's Back" ("Er ist wieder da")? It's pretty dark, but really funny (if you like that kind of humour) and I think has some interesting points to make. It's basically "what if Hitler came back in the present day and what would he do" and while they milk it (Hitler in incongruous situations etc.), it's well worth watching.
I started reading the book and it was trash. Not sure if it was just a bad translation (assuming that it was German originally) but yeah... rubbish!

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody.
Superb biopic.
Rami Malek was unbelievable, the music was great the choreography first class and although they took a few liberties with the timeline, the Live Aid climax was spot on.
If you like Queen or music biopics you will love it

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 pm
JimBentley wrote:
I started reading the book and it was trash. Not sure if it was just a bad translation (assuming that it was German originally) but yeah... rubbish!
Read the book in original German cause I'm so hard and I thought it was fine tbh but maybe I just have shit book taste
cheers maus

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Read the book in original German cause I'm so hard and I thought it was fine tbh but maybe I just have shit book taste
A lot of the criticism of the book came about because it was a written in a deliberate pastiche of Hitler's writing style (i.e. quite clunky prose) and that made it difficult to read, which is an understandable criticism to be honest. I think the film sidesteps that by treating Hitler more as a documentary subject, there's no real narrative voice at all.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Watched two remake this week.
Widows, a reimagining of the Linda LaPlant classic.
Very well made, Chicago set drama tackling racism, sexism and still packing a great deal of story and action.
The editing was genius.
Also watched the remake of Papillon.
Probably didn't need remaking but the two leads were excellent.
Rami Malek really is a very versatile actor.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Mark James wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:25 pm
Primer - What was that all about? ?/10
Finally watched this and it's amazing. 100% totally recommended, would see again (I think I need to because I definitely didn't understand it all the first time and I've looked at diagrams and everything.

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:31 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:40 pm
Mark James wrote:
Finally watched this and it's amazing. 100% totally recommended, would see again (I think I need to because I definitely didn't understand it all the first time and I've looked at diagrams and everything.
Should have made it clearer that I too recommend it. Have you seen his follow-up Upstream Color? I still haven't watched it myself but it's supposed to be even better.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Mark James wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:31 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Should have made it clearer that I too recommend it. Have you seen his follow-up Upstream Color? I still haven't watched it myself but it's supposed to be even better.
Not yet, but I'm going to watch it soon, it's near the top of my list (every time I get recommended a film, or read about a film that sounds interesting, it goes onto the list, but to be honest it's getting a bit out of hand now, as for each one I tick off, I add five more). I'll need to live to about 150 to watch them all and I don't think that's going to happen.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Primer is the nearest thing to a feasible time travel film you can get

Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 am

Mark James wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:31 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Mark James wrote:
I have seen Upstream Colour, it's really good and well worth watching

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Run Fatboy Run, a bit clichéd, but it passed the time sufficiently well.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:54 pm
There was a question on Pointless recently about naming actors in the film and I'd forgotten Thandie Newton was in it and I watched the film at the cinema 😮

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:18 pm
Ian Volante wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:54 pm
There was a question on Pointless recently about naming actors in the film and I'd forgotten Thandie Newton was in it and I watched the film at the cinema 😮
I'd barely heard of her before, but she was a definite plus-point.

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:35 am

Watched Arrival. It was alright. It was a bit dreary in terms of the colour pallete, very un sci-fi like. And it went a bit weird in the end in the same way Interstellar did where it strays more into the fi than the sci. Still worth the watch. Amy Adams is always good.

Then I watched Split which was excellent. A return to form for M. Night Shamalamadingdong or however you spell it. McEvoy does a great job switching between the personalities and the lead actress is a good find. It too strays a bit further than you might think in the final third but it really works.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:21 am

Mark James wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:35 am
Watched Arrival. It was alright. It was a bit dreary in terms of the colour pallete, very un sci-fi like. And it went a bit weird in the end in the same way Interstellar did where it strays more into the fi than the sci. Still worth the watch. Amy Adams is always good.

Then I watched Split which was excellent. A return to form for M. Night Shamalamadingdong or however you spell it. McEvoy does a great job switching between the personalities and the lead actress is a good find. It too strays a bit further than you might think in the final third but it really works.
I liked Split too until the film somehow aligned itself to Unbreakable.
I thought Arrival was excellent especially on second viewing.
I do like a film that asks you suspend belief in a good way.
One of my favourite films that does this is the Prestige

Cathy Summerside

Post by Cathy Summerside » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:17 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 pm
Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody.
Superb biopic.
Rami Malek was unbelievable, the music was great the choreography first class and although they took a few liberties with the timeline, the Live Aid climax was spot on.
If you like Queen or music biopics you will love it
Agreed - superb. Rami Malek's portrayal was uncanny. Gwilym Lee was so like Brian May too (mannerisms, voice, facial expressions) that it felt more like a fly-on-the-wall documentary at times. Found out an interesting fact: Mike Myers was the one who pushed for Bohemian Rhapsody in the memorable headbanging-in-the-car scene in Wayne's World: the director wanted Guns N' Roses. Makes MM's part as Ray Foster getting it wrong all the more of a dig at the music business.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 am

Mark James wrote:
I found that this was one of those films that tries to get people to think "Wow, that was amazing, so profound" when really it was just pretentious and up its own arse.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 am
Mark James wrote:
I found that this was one of those films that tries to get people to think "Wow, that was amazing, so profound" when really it was just pretentious and up its own arse.
If you want pretentious watch Annihilation.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:34 am

I'm guessing taking a leap of faith isn't high on your agenda

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Haha, ever the contrarian! But that's all part of your charm. I enjoyed "Arrival", anyway. I didn't find it especially profound but it was quite thoughtful as mainstream Hollywood films go.

Anyone seen "Predestination"? It's another relatively low-budget film (although not as low-budget as "Primer", obviously) that deals with time travel, but in a completely different way. To begin with, it seemed as though it was going to be a bit slow, but the story becomes really compelling and I ended up enjoying it a lot.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:10 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:06 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Haha, ever the contrarian! But that's all part of your charm. I enjoyed "Arrival", anyway. I didn't find it especially profound but it was quite thoughtful as mainstream Hollywood films go.

Anyone seen "Predestination"? It's another relatively low-budget film (although not as low-budget as "Primer", obviously) that deals with time travel, but in a completely different way. To begin with, it seemed as though it was going to be a bit slow, but the story becomes really compelling and I ended up enjoying it a lot.
Very clever film, Ethan Hunt always good value.
Like the Cerberus reference.

Whilst we are talking about low tech Sci Fi.
I can recommend Time Lapse from a few years back.

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:10 pm
JimBentley wrote:
I prefer Ethan Hawke.

Andy SC

Post by Andy SC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 am

I have watched both of the Inbetweeners movies recently.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
I prefer Ethan Hawke.
Haha, excellent. Isn't Ethan Hunt the name of Tom Cruise's character in the Mission Impossible films? Speaking of which, I've only seen a couple of those but they're always quite entertaining.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:49 pm

My bad
I also frequently mix up Gareth and Christian Bale.
The names rather than the people

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:50 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:44 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:

I prefer Ethan Hawke.
Haha, excellent. Isn't Ethan Hunt the name of Tom Cruise's character in the Mission Impossible films? Speaking of which, I've only seen a couple of those but they're always quite entertaining.
The last two Mission Impossible films have been excellent
Ted Cruz, ....Tom Cruise did all his own stunts

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:53 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
I prefer Ethan Hawke.
I still can't remember if it was my cock up or the predictive text.
Having just typed Ethan ,
Hunt immediately shows so I'm not sure

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:04 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:53 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
I prefer Ethan Hawke.
I still can't remember if it was my cock up or the predictive text.
Predictive text eh. If only there was some way of examining a post before submitting it (say, by looking at it with your eyes) to confirm that what it says is what you actually meant.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:17 am

Nah, it's usually 5 in the morning and I can't be arsed

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Not a film but a documentary.
Just finished watching Three Identical Strangers, a fascinating and shocking story about reunited triplets and their history.
Truth really is stranger than fiction.
Well worth a look

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Thor Ragnarok. How did this get so much praise? I thought it was tremendously boring. Getting tired of the Marvel cinematic universe to be honest.

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Mark James wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 pm
Getting tired of the Marvel cinematic universe to be honest.
That happened to me at some point during Iron Man.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Only marvel films I enjoy are the ones that don't take themselves too seriously like Deadpool and Venom

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:00 pm

After watching a recording of his stand up, I decided to watch Click for the umpteenth time.
It is a perfect blend of comedy and tragedy
Nobody could watch the scene with Henry Winkler near the end and not be moved to tears. ( The gauntlet is thrown Gevin )

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:28 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:00 pm
After watching a recording of his stand up, I decided to watch Click for the umpteenth time.
Nobody could watch the scene with Henry Winkler near the end and not be moved to tears. ( The gauntlet is thrown Gevin )
I'm just crying at the thought of the Fonz.

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
I've read your post three times now and I still can't find where in it you say whose stand-up you're talking about. Or are we meant to just know?

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:45 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
I've read your post three times now and I still can't find where in it you say whose stand-up you're talking about. Or are we meant to just know?
I guess if you'd seen Click the Movie starring Adam Sandler you would have probably guessed , especially if you was also aware that Henry Winkler and other male actors in the film do not have a stand up comedy background I am aware of.
But to recap, I watched the latest Adam Sandler stand up comedy film (won't say DVD as I watched on Netflix ).
This was quite funny although there was probably too many comedy songs for my liking.
Nevertheless I decided to watch Click for two reasons.
The obvious association with the stand up show I watched and to test my theory that the older you get, the more likely you are to cry at a film.
Cried like a baby at the previously mentioned scene.
Also watched a thirty second clip of the original Dumbo on YouTube and cried at that too.