What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

User avatar
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General
Posts: 3322
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Phil Reynolds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 am

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:52 pm
Has anyone else here been watching Dispatches From Elsewhere?
I guess that's a no then. 8-)

Now it's finished I'm not much wiser as to what it was all about, but it was imaginative, thought-provoking and I enjoyed the ride. Also, the soundtrack featured some great original music, of which this is a standout example.

Meanwhile, having started two weeks ago, I'm three seasons in to Schitt's Creek and absolutely loving it. Somebody called it "Breaking Good" which sums it up pretty neatly. The last episode of season 2 (the one with the anniversary dinner) has joined the finale of Blackadder Goes Forth and Inside No. 9's The Twelve Days of Christine on my list of the finest TV episodes of all time.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:43 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 am
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:52 pm
Has anyone else here been watching Dispatches From Elsewhere?
I guess that's a no then. 8-)

Now it's finished I'm not much wiser as to what it was all about, but it was imaginative, thought-provoking and I enjoyed the ride. Also, the soundtrack featured some great original music, of which this is a standout example.

Meanwhile, having started two weeks ago, I'm three seasons in to Schitt's Creek and absolutely loving it. Somebody called it "Breaking Good" which sums it up pretty neatly. The last episode of season 2 (the one with the anniversary dinner) has joined the finale of Blackadder Goes Forth and Inside No. 9's The Twelve Days of Christine on my list of the finest TV episodes of all time.
Because we have never been so spoilt for choice and time to watch TV and box sets I have been giving shows a 4 episodes trial .
I tend to judge if it's worth sticking with or not by then.
I think the biggest test of that system recently was Dark (Netflix) . The subtitles kept making me tired but when I switched to dubs and the dubbing actors were reasonable did I start to properly get into it.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the best Netflix show ever.
But it needs some concentration.
You certainly can't play with your phone whilst watching it. But I got round that by watching it on my phone 🙂
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 4178
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Ben Wilson » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:53 pm

Just finishing a binge watch of Black Books, having had the DVD on my shelf for at least ten years. Very funny show. :D

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3563
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:01 pm

Finally got to the end of Derry Girls series 1. Excellent as ever, slightly odd ending, although I can understand why they did it.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:25 am

Currently watching the weird but wonderful Lovecraft Country.
Great special effects and period setting.
It still jars me about the treatment of Afro-American in some parts of the USA in the fifties
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9938
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:02 am

I've recently finished watching series 3 of The Young Offenders on the iPlayer - the programme I watch because of the recommendations of Marc Meakin and Phil Reynolds.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:12 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:02 am
I've recently finished watching series 3 of The Young Offenders on the iPlayer - the programme I watch because of the recommendations of Marc Meakin and Phil Reynolds.
Is it any good as season 3 has passed me by for some reason?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9938
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:01 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:12 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:02 am
I've recently finished watching series 3 of The Young Offenders on the iPlayer - the programme I watch because of the recommendations of Marc Meakin and Phil Reynolds.
Is it any good as season 3 has passed me by for some reason?
Yeah I'd say it's as good as the others. Watch it.

User avatar
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General
Posts: 3322
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Phil Reynolds » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 am

Just started watching Battlestar Galactica. Got the two feature-length introductory episodes out of the way and about to start on the series proper. It's quite good so far.

Also: having finished all six seasons of Schitt's Creek, I'd have to say that it deserves every one of its record-breaking nine Emmys. Started off despising the characters and ended up having not cared about a group of fictional people so much in a long time. Discovering this joyous series was the single greatest silver lining of lockdown.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:08 am

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 am
Just started watching Battlestar Galactica. Got the two feature-length introductory episodes out of the way and about to start on the series proper. It's quite good so far.

Also: having finished all six seasons of Schitt's Creek, I'd have to say that it deserves every one of its record-breaking nine Emmys. Started off despising the characters and ended up having not cared about a group of fictional people so much in a long time. Discovering this joyous series was the single greatest silver lining of lockdown.
Kudos to you for spotting Schitts Creek potential.
I have restarted season 1 as I have Netflix ADHD.
I have so many shows half watched and not even because they are no good (still to watch season 3 of both Dark and Stranger things).

I did however binge watch The Duchess written and starring Katherine Ryan.
Hilarious but not for the faint hearted
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic
Posts: 2186
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:23 pm

Super Drags on Netflix (the English overdub).

Definitely not for children.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7625
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:29 pm

Avenue 5 was good fun, far from Excellent but definitely recommended for Iannucci fans.

Just gone through most of The Eric Andre Show which I quite enjoyed but absolutely would not recommend to any of you.

Recently finished second series of Atlanta. Kind of ambles around but perhaps all the more charming for it. Generally very good.

Half way through Gangs of London. Definitely one of the best British-produced TV shows I've watched in a while. Very stylish cinematography and whilst the dialogue and plot are occasionally a bit cliched, the action is second to none. Some of the most impressive fight/shootout sequences I've ever seen. Highly recommended if you have a stomach for tense violence.

Wasn't too long ago did the two seasons of American Gods. Very good overall although second season felt like it didn't really go anywhere, which makes it slightly hard to recommend.

Most recent completion (this post is, taken chronologically, absolutely horrible) was the first two (aka "only two" but fuck me I'm excited) seasons of Succession. Definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen. Definitely can recommend, especially to Phil I would think, who will no doubt appreciate the acting and the excellent characterisation. Who will you love? Who will you hate? Who will you love-hate? Not the sort of show I usually watch (based on general themes) but was recommended by a close friend who is into screenwriting and can see why. Really good.

Fargo season 4 just started but may do Raised by Wolves first.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7625
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:32 pm

Missed out Watchmen. Again, when it comes to top-level themes if you'd told me it was a "superheroes" show I would have steered clear. It was probably only the soundtrack work of Reznor and Finch that drew me in, and I'm glad it did as it was brilliant. Along with Succession probably the best 2 things I've seen this year (unless I'm forgetting some others).

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:34 am

Just binged season one of Utopia (2020) on Amazon Prime.
I really enjoyed it, it won't stand up in comparison to the UK version obviously but what TV Sci fi can ( OK, maybe Devs).
It managed to add an interesting subplot too.
John Cusack was excellent as the antagonist and Rainn Wilson is always watchable.
Give it a whirl although I see the UK version is on Prime so maybe watch that first
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:56 am

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:29 pm
Avenue 5 was good fun, far from Excellent but definitely recommended for Iannucci fans.

Just gone through most of The Eric Andre Show which I quite enjoyed but absolutely would not recommend to any of you.

Recently finished second series of Atlanta. Kind of ambles around but perhaps all the more charming for it. Generally very good.

Half way through Gangs of London. Definitely one of the best British-produced TV shows I've watched in a while. Very stylish cinematography and whilst the dialogue and plot are occasionally a bit cliched, the action is second to none. Some of the most impressive fight/shootout sequences I've ever seen. Highly recommended if you have a stomach for tense violence.

Wasn't too long ago did the two seasons of American Gods. Very good overall although second season felt like it didn't really go anywhere, which makes it slightly hard to recommend.

Most recent completion (this post is, taken chronologically, absolutely horrible) was the first two (aka "only two" but fuck me I'm excited) seasons of Succession. Definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen. Definitely can recommend, especially to Phil I would think, who will no doubt appreciate the acting and the excellent characterisation. Who will you love? Who will you hate? Who will you love-hate? Not the sort of show I usually watch (based on general themes) but was recommended by a close friend who is into screenwriting and can see why. Really good.

Fargo season 4 just started but may do Raised by Wolves first.
I did watch the first episode of succession mainly because Jesse Armstrong wrote it and the writing and acting was top notch, but for me and this is probably just me, I cannot root for these odious characters and similarly to Wolf of Wall Street and Leo was superb in this unless I know there is a spiralling downward it would just make my blood boil to continue with this greed is good mantra.

I also hated Dallas too apart from when Jr got shot.

That's why I like Schitts Creek so much.
It's probably my socialism that prevents from enjoying these shows and films but I can at leady appreciate the craft that goes into it
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:03 am

Queens Gambit (on Netflix)
A mini series about a female chess prodigy is definitely not in my wheelhouse but this mini-series is a joy to behold.
The directing and camerawork are amazing and the female lead is perfect.
The last episode is probably the best series finale I've seen in a very long time.
Cannot recommend this more highly
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mark Deeks and 6 guests