Page 7 of 7

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 pm
by Fred Mumford
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:11 pm
you're funny, you're clever
Interesting. But I do actually think you're wrong.
Which bit do you most take issue with?

I struggle to think of any fiction that has made me cry, but for some reason Long Lost Family always manages it.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm
by JimBentley
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
To expand on this further, I'm not sure it's really about empathy anyway. There are a lot of things where people are like "OMG, this is like so amazeballs", and I'm like "Yeah, it's OK" and quite often these are things that have nothing to do with human emotions. For example, Jono's ridiculous reaction to the Honda Cog advert.
No, that's just enjoying something because it's very accomplished, in this case from a technical point of view. It's not really relevant here. And Jono saying that he applauded for ten minutes was fairly obviously not something that literally happened. Perhaps hyperbole is another thing that you don't understand?
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
But also, you might say "lacking empathy", whereas I might say "less emotionally manipulable". And this goes for e.g. adverts that have an emotive theme but that are really tenuously linked to the product in question - Mr Phil Reynolds I'm looking at you (same link as the Jono one but the video link is broken so have another).
Unsure if you're deliberately misunderstanding things now. Phil was just saying that it was an uplifting message and it being on an advert is unusual, because most adverts are shite. At no point did he even intimate that Google were good. He just said that the message was good.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
I bet you guys all look forward to the John Lewis Christmas adverts.
That's just a cheap shot, really, and I think you're better than that.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 pm
by Phil Reynolds
JimBentley wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
But also, you might say "lacking empathy", whereas I might say "less emotionally manipulable". And this goes for e.g. adverts that have an emotive theme but that are really tenuously linked to the product in question - Mr Phil Reynolds I'm looking at you (same link as the Jono one but the video link is broken so have another).
Unsure if you're deliberately misunderstanding things now. Phil was just saying that it was an uplifting message and it being on an advert is unusual, because most adverts are shite. At no point did he even intimate that Google were good. He just said that the message was good.
It's not even an ad for Google (which I like, inasmuch as I use it every day). It's an ad for Chrome, which I hate because it keeps trying to install itself on every computer I use.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:00 am
by Marc Meakin
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:16 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:57 pm
The question to ask Gavin is when was the last time you cried ?
Dunno. But it can happen. It also depends on how you define crying - does it have to be full on streaming tears or does a bit of welling up in the eyes that doesn't make it down your face count?
I was just trying to ascertain if anything unrelated to physical pain makes you weep
Like Opera, a book, a piece of art or a film.
Or some of these mawkish programs like Surprise, Surprise .
I do agree with Jim, that as you get older you are more likely to cry at a film or TV.
Obviously grief and having children and grandchildren contribute.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:22 am
by Mark James
Decided to give The Good Place a try and wow, was not expecting that. It's fantastic. Watched all of season one tonight. Really clever and manages to touch on some hardcore philosophy but with some proper laugh out loud moments. Ted Danson is a scream.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
by Jennifer Steadman
Killing Eve - Completely in love with this, even though it tails off a bit in the second half of the series. Villanelle is pretty much the most engaging female character I've ever seen in a show. I love her and want to be her (minus the killing, I guess) and ABSOLUTELY want her wardrobe. Probably going to rewatch it in the near future.

Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.

Bojack Horseman season 5 - Outstanding first half, less engaging in the second half. Getting to a point where I hope they just kill Todd off; his moronic storylines are a constant, jarring distraction that increasingly feel forced and unwieldy. The Vietnam episode was my personal favourite. Luckily Gevin won't judge me because I totally didn't cry at the last 5 minutes :?

Crazy Ex Girlfriend season 4 - It's OK, but think it's probably for the best that this is its last season.

I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - Haven't watched this since like 2007 but with a cast of Harry Redknapp, John Barrowman, Anne Hegerty, Nick Knowles and NOEL EDMONDS, I was powerless to resist its siren call. And it's been fucking great so far - a love-in, but a fun love-in. Harry Redknapp and John Barrowman striking up a truly pure bromance is the most wholesome and beautiful thing. Very, very excited for Edmonds entering the jungle tonight.

In more trash reality viewing I've also been watching Masterchef Professionals (hardly, Marcus Wareing only has 1 Michelin star now ffs), Hell's Kitchen (way better when they're shit and he chucks them all out of the kitchen), and The Apprentice (the doughnut episode is one of the funniest things I've seen this year).

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:35 am
by Marc Meakin
I'm glad that you agreed that the second half of Killing Eve trailed off in the second half.
They should have kept the two leads apart for longer.
As for Villanelle, the actress who played her was equally as good in Thirteen a BBC 3 show.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:45 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.
It's another of those genre-busting things that either appeals or it doesn't depending on what you're looking for. The last episode is brutally sad - and yes, I cried (again).

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:08 pm
by Gavin Chipper
JimBentley wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
To expand on this further, I'm not sure it's really about empathy anyway. There are a lot of things where people are like "OMG, this is like so amazeballs", and I'm like "Yeah, it's OK" and quite often these are things that have nothing to do with human emotions. For example, Jono's ridiculous reaction to the Honda Cog advert.
No, that's just enjoying something because it's very accomplished, in this case from a technical point of view. It's not really relevant here. And Jono saying that he applauded for ten minutes was fairly obviously not something that literally happened. Perhaps hyperbole is another thing that you don't understand?
This is precisely why it is relevant. My point was that it's not that I lack empathy, but that I'm generally less impressed by stuff I watch on TV. That can be emotional stuff or technical stuff. Yes, Jono was probably exaggerating, but the main point is that he was fucking impressed by it.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
But also, you might say "lacking empathy", whereas I might say "less emotionally manipulable". And this goes for e.g. adverts that have an emotive theme but that are really tenuously linked to the product in question - Mr Phil Reynolds I'm looking at you (same link as the Jono one but the video link is broken so have another).
Unsure if you're deliberately misunderstanding things now. Phil was just saying that it was an uplifting message and it being on an advert is unusual, because most adverts are shite. At no point did he even intimate that Google were good. He just said that the message was good.
Well, it's more that I would instantly see that advert as a cynical ploy by a psychopathic advertising executive. So the more uplifting the message, the worse it makes the advert for me. (Not that I would be against all uplifting adverts, but that one strikes me as particularly cynical.)
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
I bet you guys all look forward to the John Lewis Christmas adverts.
That's just a cheap shot, really, and I think you're better than that.
I can only apologise.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:19 pm
by Marc Meakin
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
Killing Eve - Completely in love with this, even though it tails off a bit in the second half of the series. Villanelle is pretty much the most engaging female character I've ever seen in a show. I love her and want to be her (minus the killing, I guess) and ABSOLUTELY want her wardrobe. Probably going to rewatch it in the near future.

Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.

Bojack Horseman season 5 - Outstanding first half, less engaging in the second half. Getting to a point where I hope they just kill Todd off; his moronic storylines are a constant, jarring distraction that increasingly feel forced and unwieldy. The Vietnam episode was my personal favourite. Luckily Gevin won't judge me because I totally didn't cry at the last 5 minutes :?

Crazy Ex Girlfriend season 4 - It's OK, but think it's probably for the best that this is its last season.

I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - Haven't watched this since like 2007 but with a cast of Harry Redknapp, John Barrowman, Anne Hegerty, Nick Knowles and NOEL EDMONDS, I was powerless to resist its siren call. And it's been fucking great so far - a love-in, but a fun love-in. Harry Redknapp and John Barrowman striking up a truly pure bromance is the most wholesome and beautiful thing. Very, very excited for Edmonds entering the jungle tonight.

In more trash reality viewing I've also been watching Masterchef Professionals (hardly, Marcus Wareing only has 1 Michelin star now ffs), Hell's Kitchen (way better when they're shit and he chucks them all out of the kitchen), and The Apprentice (the doughnut episode is one of the funniest things I've seen this year).
Noel Edmonds bushtucker trial has to be Eel or no Eel

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:35 pm
by Matt Morrison
Sorry, Heather called it already - Meal or No Meal

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm
by JimBentley
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.
I've not watched this because I was put off by the Guardian's constant articles about how it was The Greatest Comedy Show Ever Made And So Transgressive And Amazing And Empowering. Whereas if the gender roles were reversed, they'd have been slagging it off. Also it didn't really sound very funny. I don't know, maybe I'll give it a whirl sometime.
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
In more trash reality viewing I've also been watching Masterchef Professionals
I totally love MCTP (as all the cool kids call it). Both Marcus and Monica are totally firm but fair and I like that they can be really encouraging when things go wrong. They both come across as really nice people who genuinely want the contestants to do well. I especially love Monica as I have a bit of a thing for women who wear glasses.
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - NOEL EDMONDS...Very, very excited for Edmonds entering the jungle tonight.
I too am going to watch this tonight for the first time in many years, just for the Edmonds action. It has the potential to be the funniest (or most car-crashy) thing ever shown on primetime ITV. I've been a bit obsessed with Noel ever since House Party was cancelled, because that was the point that he went from "annoying twat" to "completely mental". I really hope that he starts banging on about Lloyds Bank at some point.

Actually I have so much Noel stuff that I need to share that I'm going to start a Noel thread tonight, just need to get it all together. You're going to love it. We can revel in Noel's antics forever. For the moment though, I'll just leave this here:

Image

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:32 pm
by Phil Reynolds
JimBentley wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.
I've not watched this because I was put off by the Guardian's constant articles about how it was The Greatest Comedy Show Ever Made And So Transgressive And Amazing And Empowering. Whereas if the gender roles were reversed, they'd have been slagging it off.
I don't really understand this. The gender of the title character is pretty irrelevant. It's the fact that she's a messed-up human being which is initially mildly funny, until you find out why she's messed up, at which point it turns very bleak indeed. I just Googled the Guardian's articles on it and the first one I came up with compared it to Miranda, which it's about as far away from as I could imagine.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:34 pm
by JimBentley
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:32 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.
I've not watched this because I was put off by the Guardian's constant articles about how it was The Greatest Comedy Show Ever Made And So Transgressive And Amazing And Empowering. Whereas if the gender roles were reversed, they'd have been slagging it off.
I don't really understand this. The gender of the title character is pretty irrelevant. It's the fact that she's a messed-up human being which is initially mildly funny, until you find out why she's messed up, at which point it turns very bleak indeed. I just Googled the Guardian's articles on it and the first one I came up with compared it to Miranda, which it's about as far away from as I could imagine.
Well, as I said, I've not seen it so I probably shouldn't be commenting about it, to be honest. But it certainly seemed that way at the time, mentions of Fleabag were shoehorned into pretty much every article about television (and a lot of other articles) and I just got bored with it. And do you seriously think that there would have been similar hyperbolic praise had a sitcom scene featured - for instance - a male lead character wanking off watching Michelle Obama?

They did a very similar thing when Beyonce released "Lemonade", it was like every single commentator had to write an article about how groundbreaking and amazing the album was, so much so that it became a joke within the comment sections. It's not that the album was bad, it was quite competent as albums by major commercial artists go, but that's all it was. It wasn't a genre-defining feminist/political statement, it was just a collection of moderately catchy pop songs that was hyped beyond belief, but reading the reviews you would think that this album was not only the best of its year, it was the best of all-time. That sort of unjustified hype puts me off and I think is ultimately counter-productive.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm
by Marc Meakin
My missus just got the Christmas TV guide and just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
Can't wait

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:33 pm
by Gavin Chipper
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm
My missus just got the Christmas TV guide and just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
Can't wait
I will watch that, but I can wait.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm
by Marc Meakin
Sorry, that I used my least favourite figure of speech, evidently, I can wait but hopefully you knew what I meant.
Although in this modern age the time and date of a program has almost become irrelevant with the various forms of catch up TV available.
Although I'm still pissed off that the BBC' didn't keep They Shall Not Grow Old on the iPlayer for longer than a week 😠

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm
just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
Yeah, I spotted a clip from this in a festive trailer montage thing on BBC1 the other night. Hopefully a precursor to a full second series.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:33 pm
by Gavin Chipper
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm
Sorry, that I used my least favourite figure of speech, evidently, I can wait but hopefully you knew what I meant.
Although in this modern age the time and date of a program has almost become irrelevant with the various forms of catch up TV available.
Although I'm still pissed off that the BBC' didn't keep They Shall Not Grow Old on the iPlayer for longer than a week 😠
I wasn't being pedantic; I just meant that while I'm looking forward to it, I don't think it's quite as great as you do.

Some films have weird rights issues so either don't go on the iPlayer or only go on for a short amount of time. Just make sure you check these things before they expire! I watched it - quite moving! :D

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:50 pm
by Marc Meakin
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm
just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
Yeah, I spotted a clip from this in a festive trailer montage thing on BBC1 the other night. Hopefully a precursor to a full second series.
I would be shocked if RTE didn't commission a second series

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:30 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm
My missus just got the Christmas TV guide and just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
The Radio Times preview is suitably appetite-whetting:

Image

It's on iPlayer from today. All six episodes of the first series are also available. I just plucked up courage to rewatch episode 3 and was a howling ball of snot by the end credits.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:44 pm
by Marc Meakin
Cheers Phil , that's tonight's entertainment sorted

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 am
by Marc Meakin
No spoiler review of The Young Offenders Christmas Special
The boys are back on form, funny, touching, sweet and gross in all the right measures.
Not good for my Chest infection though
Roll on Season 2

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:23 pm
by Paul Worsley
"Narcos: Mexico" on Netflix.

I suppose it's very similar to "Narcos", but set in Mexico, and with cannabis instead of cocaine (although they do upgrade to smuggling cocaine for the Colombians).

It's very violent and most of the dialogue is subtitled, but fascinating nonetheless. This series highlights the government/police/Mexican DEA corruption much more than the previous series did.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:25 am
by Phil Reynolds
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 am
No spoiler review of The Young Offenders Christmas Special
The boys are back on form, funny, touching, sweet and gross in all the right measures.
Not good for my Chest infection though
Roll on Season 2
I thought it was OK. Had some nice moments, and I liked the development of the character of Billy, but it suffered from the same problem as most "Christmas specials" in that the sentiment seemed pasted on rather than being a natural by-product of the characters and their situation. Also the principal's family didn't really have much to do with the plot, and the filming location for Conor's house had clearly changed from the first series. But anyway, hopefully we won't have to wait too long for series 2.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 am
by Marc Meakin
Well season one came out in March, so here's hoping.

I spent too long watching the Christmas special trying to work out where j had seen Robert Sheehan before.
I eventually worked it out ( using IMDB ) that he played BJ in the excellent Red Riding1983 , Channel Four drama based on the David Peace books

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 am
season one came out in March
I watched it in February.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 am
by Marc Meakin
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 am
season one came out in March
I watched it in February.
I probably was on an RTE website.
I'm guessing the iPlayer had it earlier

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am
by Phil Reynolds
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 am
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 am
season one came out in March
I watched it in February.
I probably was on an RTE website.
I'm guessing the iPlayer had it earlier
I watched it on a thing called BBC1. It's great, you should give it a try.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:27 pm
by Marc Meakin
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 am
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 pm


I watched it in February.
I probably was on an RTE website.
I'm guessing the iPlayer had it earlier
I watched it on a thing called BBC1. It's great, you should give it a try.
Try not to watch BBC TV as it's ruining TV with its positive discrimination gone mad policy.( Dr Who, I rest my case ).
However for some bizarre reason I don't include the iPlayer in my own discrimination.
What can I say I'm full of contradictions !!

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:42 pm
by Marc Meakin
Two from across the pond
True Detective season three,.
Forget about the disappointment of season 2 this goes back to the deep South and Mahershala Ali is superb .

Escape at Dannemora I very binge watch this true story prison drama.
I was surprised Ben Stiller directed it because it was superb, Paul Dano and an almost unrecognisable Patricia Arquette are very good in it.
I have dubbed it the Shawskank Redemption

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:31 am
by Jon O'Neill
Matt Morrison wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pm
All three seasons of Fargo were astoundingly good, to the point where I see no need to try and pick a favourite or pick a weak one, though most other people who have watched it seem to want to do this.
Absolutely enjoying the shit out of Fargo. Half way through season 3 and they're all individually brilliantly acted, cinematographed, soundtracked.. everything. The style is just so stylish. Will be gutted when I'm finished.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:54 am
by Marc Meakin
Fargo is superb.
If you need to fill a hole when it's finished.
Watched Legion made by the same bloke.
Noah Hawley.
He's written a couple of great books too.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:01 am
by Marc Meakin
Just binge watched Russian Doll on Netflix.
It starts off slow but stick with it.
8 x 25 minute episodes that is based on the Groundhog formula but with a twist.
Funny and compelling, and for once a satisfying conclusion that doesn't require a sequel

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am
by Paul Worsley
Just finished watching Black Mirror on Netflix.

For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for some reason Netflix made me watch it back to front (kind of a Black Mirror moment), so I watched Season 4 first and Season 1 last.

All fine, until tonight, when I watched my final episode, "The National Anthem".

What can I say? The biggest pile of shite that's ever come through my TV screen (and yes, I have watched a full episode of "Mrs Brown's Boys").

The entire premise was distasteful and ludicrous. I'm amazed the series wasn't pulled after episode 1.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:50 pm
by Marc Meakin
Paul Worsley wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am
Just finished watching Black Mirror on Netflix.

For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for some reason Netflix made me watch it back to front (kind of a Black Mirror moment), so I watched Season 4 first and Season 1 last.

All fine, until tonight, when I watched my final episode, "The National Anthem".

What can I say? The biggest pile of shite that's ever come through my TV screen (and yes, I have watched a full episode of "Mrs Brown's Boys").

The entire premise was distasteful and ludicrous. I'm amazed the series wasn't pulled after episode 1.
The first two series were on channel 4.
I watched the National Anthem first and like you was not impressed.
I only went back to it when season three started along with my Netflix subscription.
Season three and four are the best series.
SS Callister and Hang the D.J. are my favourite episodes

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:26 pm
by Gavin Chipper
Paul Worsley wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am
Just finished watching Black Mirror on Netflix.

For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for some reason Netflix made me watch it back to front (kind of a Black Mirror moment), so I watched Season 4 first and Season 1 last.
Did it make you or did it just come as by default and you didn't do anything to stop it?

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 pm
by Paul Worsley
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:26 pm
Paul Worsley wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am
Just finished watching Black Mirror on Netflix.

For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for some reason Netflix made me watch it back to front (kind of a Black Mirror moment), so I watched Season 4 first and Season 1 last.
Did it make you or did it just come as by default and you didn't do anything to stop it?
Not sure. Maybe our Smart TVs are watching us and gauging our reactions to each episode before deciding which one to show us next.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:36 pm
by JimBentley
Paul Worsley wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am
All fine, until tonight, when I watched my final episode, "The National Anthem"...The entire premise was distasteful and ludicrous. I'm amazed the series wasn't pulled after episode 1.
Probably because outside of Bible-Belt America, TV stations tend not to be run by concerned prudes. The days of Mary Whitehouse types having influence over media have long gone, thank god.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm
by Gavin Chipper
This Time with Alan Partridge obviously. I thought it was good, but I wasn't like "Fuck, that was amazing" afterwards.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:23 pm
by Marc Meakin
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm
This Time with Alan Partridge obviously. I thought it was good, but I wasn't like "Fuck, that was amazing" afterwards.
Hard to believe that Alan Partridge had been going for 25 years , longer if you count the radio
It was quite funny but you can tell the difference between when Iannuci wrote it and these new guys
Still funnier than anything currently on terrestrial TV

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:26 pm
by Marc Meakin
I've finally caught up with The Good Doctor about a surgical intern on the Autism Spectrum.
Its quite good although I'm not sure if it is an entirely accurate representation of someone on the spectrum.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:01 pm
by Gavin Chipper
I'm working my way through the second series of White Gold on the iPlayer. If you don't know, it's a comedy about a double glazing firm set in the 1980s. I think it's quite good. Well, it's probably more about swearing and sex than actual double glazing but whatever.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:47 am
by Matt Morrison
Just finished True Detective season 3. Had held off season 2 because of the poor reviews for years, but watched 2 and 3 in close succession. Thought 2 was pretty decent - it's only poor in comparison to how good season 1 was, it's not really poor at all reviewed objectively as a standalone drama. Still really enjoyed it. 3 was excellent. I still don't think it was as good as season 1 perhaps, but still brilliant. Ali is a stunning actor I think.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:41 pm
by Marc Meakin
Matt Morrison wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:47 am
Just finished True Detective season 3. Had held off season 2 because of the poor reviews for years, but watched 2 and 3 in close succession. Thought 2 was pretty decent - it's only poor in comparison to how good season 1 was, it's not really poor at all reviewed objectively as a standalone drama. Still really enjoyed it. 3 was excellent. I still don't think it was as good as season 1 perhaps, but still brilliant. Ali is a stunning actor I think.
I may go back to Season 2 but after 2 episodes I was disappointed, but Season three is superb, Dourf and Ali really acted well in this and Scoot McNairy was excellent too.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:45 pm
by Marc Meakin
Just binge watched After Life by Ricky Gervais.
Wasn't sure if I'd like it having found Derek a little hard to watch at times, but After Life is very good.
Rude, touching funny and just the best depiction of grief
suicide and depression and how it affects people.
Don't let the subject matter put you off though.
Unless you cannot stand Ricky Gervais, you will love it

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 pm
by Tom S
Cheat

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:36 am
by Marc Meakin
Tom S wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 pm
Cheat
It had plot holes you could drive a tank through, unbelievable behaviour by grown men and women in a position of trust, ridiculous, reasoning and motives.
I enjoyed it though 😁