Page 6 of 7

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:30 pm
by Marc Meakin
Just watched the first episode of Get Shorty.
Very good can recommend it.
Chris O Dowd is very good as the lead.
And you can binge watch all ten episodes on Sky

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:48 am
by Paul Worsley
Just finished Manhunt:Unabomber on Netflix and really enjoyed it, Without giving too much away, they caught him with the help of linguistics. I never knew the origin of the phrase "To have your cake and eat it".....

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:13 am
by Marc Meakin
Paul Worsley wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:48 am
Just finished Manhunt:Unabomber on Netflix and really enjoyed it, Without giving too much away, they caught him with the help of linguistics. I never knew the origin of the phrase "To have your cake and eat it".....
Very good.
The acting from the main characters was excellent.
I also recommend the Waco miniseries which I watched around the same time.
Both cases are linked in a way

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 am
by Gavin Chipper
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 pm
A Very English Scandal. Just outstanding in every way - writing, acting, direction, all superb. And for those of us old enough to remember the Thorpe trial and the sensation it caused, the blackly farcical tone is spot-on.
Just seen the first episode, and surely I can't be the only one thinking "Just sort out his National Insurance card!"

Also, it's on the iPlayer as series 1. Am I to assume that there will be further series of this?

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm
by Marc Meakin
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 am
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 pm
A Very English Scandal. Just outstanding in every way - writing, acting, direction, all superb. And for those of us old enough to remember the Thorpe trial and the sensation it caused, the blackly farcical tone is spot-on.
Just seen the first episode, and surely I can't be the only one thinking "Just sort out his National Insurance card!"

Also, it's on the iPlayer as series 1. Am I to assume that there will be further series of this?
Not with the same protagonists but I'm sure there are other ' very English scandals ' the makers could choose

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:04 pm
by Zarte Siempre
After today's news, I think I will be working through Anthony Bourdain's past work for some time...

Devastated.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:48 am
by Marc Meakin
I can highly recommend Barry.
It's on Sky Atlantic .
You can download the box set
Very dark very funny.
Bill Harder is brilliant.
Henry Winkler is hilarious.
Watch it.
You won't be disappointed.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:03 pm
by Gavin Chipper
I watched the first two episodes of the new series of Flowers last night. I enjoyed the first series, but did not enjoy these. Maybe I would have benefited from rewatching the first series because I couldn't remember exactly what went on, but I found it incoherent and disjointed. Just rubbish basically. I'll see it through anyway, but I'm not expecting wonders.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm
by Mark James
I kind of enjoyed season five of Arrested Development even though I didn't laugh all that much. What's the story with the season four remix? Is it much different to the original?

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm
by Paul Worsley
Watching The Sinner on Netflix. Episode 3 and it's pretty good.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:28 pm
by Matt Morrison
Vice Principals is a lot of fun if you've been missing Kenny Powers.

Evil Genius is excellent if you enjoy Making/Jinx etc. I hear Staircase is too but not doing that yet.

Re-watching Westworld S1 (with Heather this time) before starting S2. Fine example of a series worth re-watching.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:19 pm
by Ben Wilson
Safe, an 8-part miniseries on Netflix starring Michael C. 'Dexter' Hall doing a passable English accent. Highly recommended (the show, the accent less so).

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:34 pm
by Marc Meakin
Ben Wilson wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:19 pm
Safe, an 8-part miniseries on Netflix starring Michael C. 'Dexter' Hall doing a passable English accent. Highly recommended (the show, the accent less so).
That's the Harlan Coben one isn't it
It's on my Netflix list.
Doh, just seen your link

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:43 pm
by Owen Carroll
Cobra kai. Anyone else been watching it?

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm
by Paul Worsley
"The Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix.

The Haunting (1963) scared the bejeezus out of me when I first saw it, aged 11. It scared me again when I saw it for a second time,7 years later.

This series stays loyal to the original film, and adds a few more layers too. I'm on episode 5 of 10, and enjoying it, but tempted to leave the light on. They haven't even found the key to the nursery yet!

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:03 pm
by Marc Meakin
Paul Worsley wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm
"The Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix.

The Haunting (1963) scared the bejeezus out of me when I first saw it, aged 11. It scared me again when I saw it for a second time,7 years later.

This series stays loyal to the original film, and adds a few more layers too. I'm on episode 5 of 10, and enjoying it, but tempted to leave the light on. They haven't even found the key to the nursery yet!
It's on my watch list but I'm not a fan of standard horror

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:16 pm
by Paul Worsley
Give it a go. It's a ghost story rather than a gorefest, (although there is some blood and gore). Unlike the majority of horror films it's genuinely scary.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 pm
by Marc Meakin
I will but it's behind The Man in The High Castle at the moment.
I do like a horror/ghost story if the acting is good, also the plot.
Ghost Stories being my favourite movie of that genre this year

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:28 am
by Phil Reynolds
So, the big question about tonight's special "live" episode of Inside No. 9... Was it actually live?

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:30 am
by Marc Meakin
Shit, I missed it.
My favourite British made anthology series, too (Black Mirror is less British nowadays ).
My favourite Inside No 9 has always been 12 Days of Christine.
I will watch it later today and will answer your question

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:33 am
by Marc Meakin
I've been Watching Kidding, starring Jim Carrey, I t really is quite brilliant, how it is touching, laugh out loud funny and such a brilliant ensemble cast.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:22 am
by Noel Mc
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:28 am
So, the big question about tonight's special "live" episode of Inside No. 9... Was it actually live?
Dunno, but it was awesome regardless!
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:30 am
My favourite Inside No 9 has always been 12 Days of Christine.
Excellent call

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Noel Mc wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:22 am
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:28 am
So, the big question about tonight's special "live" episode of Inside No. 9... Was it actually live?
Dunno, but it was awesome regardless!
It was. I'd predicted that they would pull a stunt like that and yet I was still fooled when I was watching it. I feel sorry for anyone watching it on catch-up as they won't have that element of surprise.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm
by Marc Meakin
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 pm
Noel Mc wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:22 am
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:28 am
So, the big question about tonight's special "live" episode of Inside No. 9... Was it actually live?
Dunno, but it was awesome regardless!
It was. I'd predicted that they would pull a stunt like that and yet I was still fooled when I was watching it. I feel sorry for anyone watching it on catch-up as they won't have that element of surprise.
I will let you know

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 pm
I feel sorry for anyone watching it on catch-up as they won't have that element of surprise.
I will let you know
No need, I already know the answer. The fact that it's available on catch-up at all means the twist doesn't work. Should still be an enjoyable watch though.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:16 pm
by Marc Meakin
I binge watched The Cry over the weekend.
Very well made, I got a little irritated by the flash back and flash forward scenes but the pay off was worth it.
I'm not sure I would have stuck with it if I had to wait a week.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 am
by Jon O'Neill
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 pm
I feel sorry for anyone watching it on catch-up as they won't have that element of surprise.
I will let you know
No need, I already know the answer. The fact that it's available on catch-up at all means the twist doesn't work. Should still be an enjoyable watch though.
Completely forgot about it until I saw it mentioned in this thread. Quickly noped out for the avoidance of spoilers but yes, you're right, it is spoiled a bit by watching on catchup.

Don't think any of it was live. But it was very good.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 am
by Jon O'Neill
Recently watched Bodyguard - that was entertaining for something that made no sense.
Also watched Killing Eve - that was entertaining and made some sense.

Currently watching Making a Murderer Season 2. Not as good as the original (although how could it be?) Also I'm on the fence about who did it..

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:30 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 am
Don't think any of it was live. But it was very good.
I've now checked out Sunday's BBC1 10 O'Clock News on iPlayer (so you don't have to), and the TV in Reece and Steve's dressing room was indeed showing what was on BBC1 at that time, so unless they employed some real-time technical wizardry to superimpose the live news footage onto a pre-recorded scene, that bit at least was genuinely live.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 pm
by Marc Meakin
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:30 pm
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 am
Don't think any of it was live. But it was very good.
I've now checked out Sunday's BBC1 10 O'Clock News on iPlayer (so you don't have to), and the TV in Reece and Steve's dressing room was indeed showing what was on BBC1 at that time, so unless they employed some real-time technical wizardry to superimpose the live news footage onto a pre-recorded scene, that bit at least was genuinely live.
I think I read somewhere it was recorded at Maidstone studio and it implies it was , indeed , live

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:18 pm
by Gavin Chipper
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 am
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm


I will let you know
No need, I already know the answer. The fact that it's available on catch-up at all means the twist doesn't work. Should still be an enjoyable watch though.
Completely forgot about it until I saw it mentioned in this thread. Quickly noped out for the avoidance of spoilers but yes, you're right, it is spoiled a bit by watching on catchup.

Don't think any of it was live. But it was very good.
I watched it on the iPlayer too. And to be honest I didn't think it was very good. I mean, I can understand that there might have been some people who thought they were genuinely showing that episode from the first series but then when it suddenly went "weird", that was it. Nothing surprising happened after that and unless I'm missing something there was no twist.

And even when the dialogue sound "failed" at one point, the mood music didn't so that made it less convincing. And although I can understand that one might fail and not the other, it's not the best way to convince a sceptical audience.

And I can't see how watching it live would have made any real difference.

Edit - And just to be clear, I don't think a single regular viewer of Inside No 9, or indeed anyone who isn't a lunatic of some sort, would have thought that anything actually weird or magical was really happening at any point, and without that we're not left with much.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:29 am
by Marc Meakin
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:18 pm
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 am
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm


No need, I already know the answer. The fact that it's available on catch-up at all means the twist doesn't work. Should still be an enjoyable watch though.
Completely forgot about it until I saw it mentioned in this thread. Quickly noped out for the avoidance of spoilers but yes, you're right, it is spoiled a bit by watching on catchup.

Don't think any of it was live. But it was very good.
I watched it on the iPlayer too. And to be honest I didn't think it was very good. I mean, I can understand that there might have been some people who thought they were genuinely showing that episode from the first series but then when it suddenly went "weird", that was it. Nothing surprising happened after that and unless I'm missing something there was no twist.

And even when the dialogue sound "failed" at one point, the mood music didn't so that made it less convincing. And although I can understand that one might fail and not the other, it's not the best way to convince a sceptical audience.

And I can't see how watching it live would have made any real difference.

Edit - And just to be clear, I don't think a single regular viewer of Inside No 9, or indeed anyone who isn't a lunatic of some sort, would have thought that anything actually weird or magical was really happening at any point, and without that we're not left with much.
A lot of people turned off when the gremlins happened so some people believed it was real.
You generally have to suspend belief when watching a horror film/program.
If you analyse it you ain't enjoying it.
I mean how can a go pro camera suddenly be broadcast.

I enjoyed it Fwiw but was a bit peeved that the live episode cut out as I was enjoying it

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:12 am
by Marc Meakin
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 pm
I feel sorry for anyone watching it on catch-up as they won't have that element of surprise.
I will let you know
No need, I already know the answer. The fact that it's available on catch-up at all means the twist doesn't work. Should still be an enjoyable watch though.
I did enjoy it, it was cleverly done and brave, answering tweets during the recording, truly made this event TV, although a fifth of the viewed did switch off during the first sound glitches.
Shearsmith and Pemberton, are truly a cut above anyone else in TV, making comic horror.
I would love to see them make a film.
Either an Original one , or maybe remake an old Vincent Price film.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 am
by Gavin Chipper
Marc Meakin wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:29 am
A lot of people turned off when the gremlins happened so some people believed it was real.
You generally have to suspend belief when watching a horror film/program.
If you analyse it you ain't enjoying it.
I mean how can a go pro camera suddenly be broadcast.

I enjoyed it Fwiw but was a bit peeved that the live episode cut out as I was enjoying it
I can quite believe that some people thought the initial sound problems were real but as soon as the series 1 episode derailed, no-one would have believed that anything after that point was real.

In any case, it's not just about suspending disbelief. I've enjoyed many previous episodes of this and some have had clever twists. But this episode was basically just incoherent noise from the derailing of the series 1 episode onwards. It was just silly and there was nothing there to "believe" anyway.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:18 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:18 pm
I can understand that there might have been some people who thought they were genuinely showing that episode from the first series but then when it suddenly went "weird", that was it.
But that was over ten minutes in, by which time apparently a fifth of viewers had switched off.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
And I can't see how watching it live would have made any real difference.
Well, I can tell you it did, because although I suspected at first that the gremlins were part of it, when they started showing A Quiet Night In I decided that something had definitely gone wrong.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:25 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Marc Meakin wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:29 am
If you analyse it you ain't enjoying it.
I mean how can a go pro camera suddenly be broadcast.
Because the plot suggested that what we were seeing were not supposed to be random technical glitches - the "ghosts in the machine" were controlling what was being shown. It's also plausible to assume that Reece's GoPro was intended to be used for POV footage at some point during the story-within-the-story and was therefore equipped for transmission (which it clearly was in the real world).

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:38 pm
by Gavin Chipper
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:18 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:18 pm
I can understand that there might have been some people who thought they were genuinely showing that episode from the first series but then when it suddenly went "weird", that was it.
But that was over ten minutes in, by which time apparently a fifth of viewers had switched off.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
And I can't see how watching it live would have made any real difference.
Well, I can tell you it did, because although I suspected at first that the gremlins were part of it, when they started showing A Quiet Night In I decided that something had definitely gone wrong.
OK - I can see that some viewers might have been fooled by the early part of it, and I wouldn't criticise that part of the show. Although, you'd have to question fitting a different episode into the schedule at that point when all that time had passed. But just looking at the iPlayer again now, everything from 10:50 onwards was ridiculous, and its length was 32:10.

I mean, I don't think it's that clever on its own to fool viewers into thinking that there's a technical fault. It's a reasonable opener, but that's all it is. The show needed more than that, but it didn't deliver. Even aside from the "spooky" stuff, how many viewers actually thought Pemberton and Shearsmith were talking to each other oblivious to the fact that they were on TV and thought it was anything other than acting?

Also, for every programme, there's always going to be some random casual viewers that don't really know the programme and might be at risk of changing channels anyway. How many regular Inside No 9 viewers turned off? I doubt it was anywhere near a fifth. Maybe not even a fiftieth.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:44 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 am
this episode was basically just incoherent noise from the derailing of the series 1 episode onwards. It was just silly and there was nothing there to "believe" anyway.
I agree that once we realised what had happened in the first ten minutes was intentional and that what we were watching was all scripted, suspension of disbelief was no longer in play. But to call the story that subsequently played out "incoherent noise" is mind-boggling. It was perhaps difficult to make full sense of the narrative while it was going on, but by the end the pieces of the jigsaw all slotted into place. The clip from The One Show even gave the "ghosts" their motive, and the looped final scene from A Quiet Night In was their parting warning to us.

The way the programme used a combination of genuine archive footage and fake news stories to create a backstory of the Granada site being haunted was clever enough, but the use of material seeded in the media in the couple of weeks before the episode was exceptionally bold. All in all, this was a major TV event and as such I've enjoyed thinking about it and discussing it in the days since as much as watching it on the night.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:01 pm
by Gavin Chipper
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:44 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 am
this episode was basically just incoherent noise from the derailing of the series 1 episode onwards. It was just silly and there was nothing there to "believe" anyway.
I agree that once we realised what had happened in the first ten minutes was intentional and that what we were watching was all scripted, suspension of disbelief was no longer in play. But to call the story that subsequently played out "incoherent noise" is mind-boggling. It was perhaps difficult to make full sense of the narrative while it was going on, but by the end the pieces of the jigsaw all slotted into place. The clip from The One Show even gave the "ghosts" their motive, and the looped final scene from A Quiet Night In was their parting warning to us.

The way the programme used a combination of genuine archive footage and fake news stories to create a backstory of the Granada site being haunted was clever enough, but the use of material seeded in the media in the couple of weeks before the episode was exceptionally bold. All in all, this was a major TV event and as such I've enjoyed thinking about it and discussing it in the days since as much as watching it on the night.
I'm going to watch it again and see if I can be more generous about it.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm
by JimBentley
Inside No. 9 really is tremendous, isn't it? Really glad there's going to be another series. I've enjoyed every episode in one way or another but as Marc has said, "The Twelve Days Of Christine" is the real standout, probably the best half hour of television I've ever seen (and I've been watching TV a long time). I don't think any television programme has ever had such a profound effect on me, I was in absolute bits by the end, crying my eyes out, a bit pathetic really (I'm glad I was on my own when I watched it the first time). I watched it a second time to try to spot all the clues that were in there and I think that was a mistake, because I was even worse when I knew how stuff would tie into the ending. I don't think I could bear to watch it again but I would strongly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to check it out.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:45 pm
by Marc Meakin
JimBentley wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Inside No. 9 really is tremendous, isn't it? Really glad there's going to be another series. I've enjoyed every episode in one way or another but as Marc has said, "The Twelve Days Of Christine" is the real standout, probably the best half hour of television I've ever seen (and I've been watching TV a long time). I don't think any television programme has ever had such a profound effect on me, I was in absolute bits by the end, crying my eyes out, a bit pathetic really (I'm glad I was on my own when I watched it the first time). I watched it a second time to try to spot all the clues that were in there and I think that was a mistake, because I was even worse when I knew how stuff would tie into the ending. I don't think I could bear to watch it again but I would strongly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to check it out.
Let's hope your endorsement carries more sway 😀.
It is the best half hour of TV this century for sure.
It's the only thing I've ever bought on Google play.
I've always thought it would make a brilliant play or feature film.
Anyone able to contact Reece or Steve

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 pm
by James Robinson
I'll Get This, a very different game show on BBC2, although I suppose game show is stretching a bit, but it's an entertaining watch. :)

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:03 am
by Owen Carroll
I'm still loving cobra kai. Although desperate for the new season to arrive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 pm
by Phil Reynolds
JimBentley wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Inside No. 9 really is tremendous, isn't it? Really glad there's going to be another series. I've enjoyed every episode in one way or another but as Marc has said, "The Twelve Days Of Christine" is the real standout, probably the best half hour of television I've ever seen (and I've been watching TV a long time). I don't think any television programme has ever had such a profound effect on me, I was in absolute bits by the end, crying my eyes out, a bit pathetic really (I'm glad I was on my own when I watched it the first time). I watched it a second time to try to spot all the clues that were in there and I think that was a mistake, because I was even worse when I knew how stuff would tie into the ending. I don't think I could bear to watch it again but I would strongly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to check it out.
I've actually watched it quite a number of times now and it makes me cry every time. I have to watch it on my own though as my other half was so upset by it the first time that he couldn't even watch it twice. There are so many, many clues to the ending and yet none of them seems forced or gratuitous. One of those rare occasions when writing, performances, direction, design, everything works together perfectly to create something unique and special.

The episode that I don't think I could bear to watch again, for very different reasons, is The Harrowing from series 1. Brilliantly done but genuinely disturbing.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:59 pm
by Marc Meakin
I found Diddle Diddle Dumpling
Season three, I think , the most difficult to watch.
Reece Sheersmiths decent into deep depression and insanity almost unbearable to watch, if only for the feeling of ' but for the grace of God '.
Probably not one I will be watching much when I get the box set for Christmas.( If my partner has taken the hint )

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:21 pm
by JimBentley
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 pm
The episode that I don't think I could bear to watch again, for very different reasons, is The Harrowing from series 1. Brilliantly done but genuinely disturbing.
And had some really funny lines: "It's just like giving birth...but in reverse!" etc. But yeah, that ending was a bit much, wouldn't like to watch it before going to bed.

One of my other favourites that doesn't seem to get much love online is "Once Removed", which I think is one of the more brutal ones but still has more laugh-out-loud moments than pretty much any conventional sitcom (especially all the Andrew Lloyd-Webber stuff, which absolutely cracked me up). Possibly only "The Trial Of Elizabeth Gadge" has more out-and-out laughs. And "The Devil Of Christmas" is pretty amazing for perfectly emulating a 1970s teleplay (until right at the end, of course). But I could say something positive about all of them, really.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 pm
by Gavin Chipper
I don't know if this is just me, but some of the reactions that some people on here have to some television programmes is completely alien to me. I'm never "in bits" after watching anything, and to be honest I find it a little bit weird. Am I the weird one?

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:51 pm
by Matt Morrison
Yep. But you also only like one song. Entertainment is not for you.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 pm
by JimBentley
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 pm
I don't know if this is just me, but some of the reactions that some people on here have to some television programmes is completely alien to me. I'm never "in bits" after watching anything, and to be honest I find it a little bit weird. Am I the weird one?
I used to be like that when I was much younger. I found it difficult to show (or even admit to) any kind of strong emotion because I didn't want to display what I thought others might see as weakness. Boys don't cry, and all that. I think I was definitely quite emotionally repressed.

Now I'm older and have gone through a lot more stuff (loads of people close to me dying, for instance), I think I've learned that showing emotion isn't weakness at all, it just makes you more human and relatable. Of course, mileage varies so I would never say that anyone is weird for not doing so.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:41 am
by Jon O'Neill
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 pm
I don't know if this is just me, but some of the reactions that some people on here have to some television programmes is completely alien to me. I'm never "in bits" after watching anything, and to be honest I find it a little bit weird. Am I the weird one?
You should try Louis Theroux's documentary on assisted suicide from Sunday.
That's also a general recommendation to the non-freaks. Louis Theroux is brilliant and we are lucky to have him.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm
by Gavin Chipper
JimBentley wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 pm
I don't know if this is just me, but some of the reactions that some people on here have to some television programmes is completely alien to me. I'm never "in bits" after watching anything, and to be honest I find it a little bit weird. Am I the weird one?
I used to be like that when I was much younger. I found it difficult to show (or even admit to) any kind of strong emotion because I didn't want to display what I thought others might see as weakness. Boys don't cry, and all that. I think I was definitely quite emotionally repressed.

Now I'm older and have gone through a lot more stuff (loads of people close to me dying, for instance), I think I've learned that showing emotion isn't weakness at all, it just makes you more human and relatable. Of course, mileage varies so I would never say that anyone is weird for not doing so.
This isn't even about being unwilling to show emotion. I think it's more about not forming a particularly strong emotional attachment to a fictional character you first encountered half an hour ago.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:11 pm
by JimBentley
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm
This isn't even about being unwilling to show emotion. I think it's more about not forming a particularly strong emotional attachment to a fictional character you first encountered half an hour ago.
No, I think it's about empathy. You have many good traits, you're funny, you're clever, I could go on. But I've often thought that you're incapable of imagining any other position than your own, if that makes sense? This is a good thing in some ways (for instance, it makes you quite formidable in arguments). So I'm not surprised that you find it difficult to empathise with other people, real or fictional. That's not a bad thing, it's just you being you.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:26 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm
This isn't even about being unwilling to show emotion. I think it's more about not forming a particularly strong emotional attachment to a fictional character you first encountered half an hour ago.
I don't think it's about forming an emotional attachment to a character so much as having empathy and finding yourself relating to them and their situation. If this never happens to you I think it means you're a psychopath.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:27 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Or what Jim said. Yeah, that's definitely nicer.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm
by Gavin Chipper
JimBentley wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:11 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm
This isn't even about being unwilling to show emotion. I think it's more about not forming a particularly strong emotional attachment to a fictional character you first encountered half an hour ago.
No, I think it's about empathy. You have many good traits, you're funny, you're clever, I could go on. But I've often thought that you're incapable of imagining any other position than your own, if that makes sense? This is a good thing in some ways (for instance, it makes you quite formidable in arguments). So I'm not surprised that you find it difficult to empathise with other people, real or fictional. That's not a bad thing, it's just you being you.
Interesting. But I do actually think you're wrong.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:11 pm
by JimBentley
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:11 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm
This isn't even about being unwilling to show emotion. I think it's more about not forming a particularly strong emotional attachment to a fictional character you first encountered half an hour ago.
No, I think it's about empathy. You have many good traits, you're funny, you're clever, I could go on. But I've often thought that you're incapable of imagining any other position than your own, if that makes sense? This is a good thing in some ways (for instance, it makes you quite formidable in arguments). So I'm not surprised that you find it difficult to empathise with other people, real or fictional. That's not a bad thing, it's just you being you.
Interesting. But I do actually think you're wrong.
Of course you do, that's kind of my point! I was going to add another sentence on the end of my last comment, to the effect that "Gavin will argue this" but decided that it was unnecessary. As I said, it's just you being you, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:57 pm
by Marc Meakin
The question to ask Gavin is when was the last time you cried ?

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
by Gavin Chipper
JimBentley wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:11 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:11 pm


No, I think it's about empathy. You have many good traits, you're funny, you're clever, I could go on. But I've often thought that you're incapable of imagining any other position than your own, if that makes sense? This is a good thing in some ways (for instance, it makes you quite formidable in arguments). So I'm not surprised that you find it difficult to empathise with other people, real or fictional. That's not a bad thing, it's just you being you.
Interesting. But I do actually think you're wrong.
Of course you do, that's kind of my point! I was going to add another sentence on the end of my last comment, to the effect that "Gavin will argue this" but decided that it was unnecessary. As I said, it's just you being you, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
To expand on this further, I'm not sure it's really about empathy anyway. There are a lot of things where people are like "OMG, this is like so amazeballs", and I'm like "Yeah, it's OK" and quite often these are things that have nothing to do with human emotions. For example, Jono's ridiculous reaction to the Honda Cog advert.

But also, you might say "lacking empathy", whereas I might say "less emotionally manipulable". And this goes for e.g. adverts that have an emotive theme but that are really tenuously linked to the product in question - Mr Phil Reynolds I'm looking at you (same link as the Jono one but the video link is broken so have another).

I bet you guys all look forward to the John Lewis Christmas adverts. And I also think I'm less likely to get swept away and join a lynch mob than most people. But arguably I am less "into" a TV programme that I'm watching, and I'm probably more likely to check the time during it than most people. Swings and roundabouts.

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:16 pm
by Gavin Chipper
Marc Meakin wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:57 pm
The question to ask Gavin is when was the last time you cried ?
Dunno. But it can happen. It also depends on how you define crying - does it have to be full on streaming tears or does a bit of welling up in the eyes that doesn't make it down your face count?

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:34 pm
by Phil Reynolds
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm
Mr Phil Reynolds I'm looking at you
You're only human.