What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Fred Mumford »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm
JimBentley wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:11 pm you're funny, you're clever
Interesting. But I do actually think you're wrong.
Which bit do you most take issue with?

I struggle to think of any fiction that has made me cry, but for some reason Long Lost Family always manages it.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pmTo expand on this further, I'm not sure it's really about empathy anyway. There are a lot of things where people are like "OMG, this is like so amazeballs", and I'm like "Yeah, it's OK" and quite often these are things that have nothing to do with human emotions. For example, Jono's ridiculous reaction to the Honda Cog advert.
No, that's just enjoying something because it's very accomplished, in this case from a technical point of view. It's not really relevant here. And Jono saying that he applauded for ten minutes was fairly obviously not something that literally happened. Perhaps hyperbole is another thing that you don't understand?
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pmBut also, you might say "lacking empathy", whereas I might say "less emotionally manipulable". And this goes for e.g. adverts that have an emotive theme but that are really tenuously linked to the product in question - Mr Phil Reynolds I'm looking at you (same link as the Jono one but the video link is broken so have another).
Unsure if you're deliberately misunderstanding things now. Phil was just saying that it was an uplifting message and it being on an advert is unusual, because most adverts are shite. At no point did he even intimate that Google were good. He just said that the message was good.
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pmI bet you guys all look forward to the John Lewis Christmas adverts.
That's just a cheap shot, really, and I think you're better than that.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JimBentley wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pmBut also, you might say "lacking empathy", whereas I might say "less emotionally manipulable". And this goes for e.g. adverts that have an emotive theme but that are really tenuously linked to the product in question - Mr Phil Reynolds I'm looking at you (same link as the Jono one but the video link is broken so have another).
Unsure if you're deliberately misunderstanding things now. Phil was just saying that it was an uplifting message and it being on an advert is unusual, because most adverts are shite. At no point did he even intimate that Google were good. He just said that the message was good.
It's not even an ad for Google (which I like, inasmuch as I use it every day). It's an ad for Chrome, which I hate because it keeps trying to install itself on every computer I use.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:16 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:57 pm The question to ask Gavin is when was the last time you cried ?
Dunno. But it can happen. It also depends on how you define crying - does it have to be full on streaming tears or does a bit of welling up in the eyes that doesn't make it down your face count?
I was just trying to ascertain if anything unrelated to physical pain makes you weep
Like Opera, a book, a piece of art or a film.
Or some of these mawkish programs like Surprise, Surprise .
I do agree with Jim, that as you get older you are more likely to cry at a film or TV.
Obviously grief and having children and grandchildren contribute.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Decided to give The Good Place a try and wow, was not expecting that. It's fantastic. Watched all of season one tonight. Really clever and manages to touch on some hardcore philosophy but with some proper laugh out loud moments. Ted Danson is a scream.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Killing Eve - Completely in love with this, even though it tails off a bit in the second half of the series. Villanelle is pretty much the most engaging female character I've ever seen in a show. I love her and want to be her (minus the killing, I guess) and ABSOLUTELY want her wardrobe. Probably going to rewatch it in the near future.

Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.

Bojack Horseman season 5 - Outstanding first half, less engaging in the second half. Getting to a point where I hope they just kill Todd off; his moronic storylines are a constant, jarring distraction that increasingly feel forced and unwieldy. The Vietnam episode was my personal favourite. Luckily Gevin won't judge me because I totally didn't cry at the last 5 minutes :?

Crazy Ex Girlfriend season 4 - It's OK, but think it's probably for the best that this is its last season.

I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - Haven't watched this since like 2007 but with a cast of Harry Redknapp, John Barrowman, Anne Hegerty, Nick Knowles and NOEL EDMONDS, I was powerless to resist its siren call. And it's been fucking great so far - a love-in, but a fun love-in. Harry Redknapp and John Barrowman striking up a truly pure bromance is the most wholesome and beautiful thing. Very, very excited for Edmonds entering the jungle tonight.

In more trash reality viewing I've also been watching Masterchef Professionals (hardly, Marcus Wareing only has 1 Michelin star now ffs), Hell's Kitchen (way better when they're shit and he chucks them all out of the kitchen), and The Apprentice (the doughnut episode is one of the funniest things I've seen this year).
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I'm glad that you agreed that the second half of Killing Eve trailed off in the second half.
They should have kept the two leads apart for longer.
As for Villanelle, the actress who played her was equally as good in Thirteen a BBC 3 show.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.
It's another of those genre-busting things that either appeals or it doesn't depending on what you're looking for. The last episode is brutally sad - and yes, I cried (again).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pmTo expand on this further, I'm not sure it's really about empathy anyway. There are a lot of things where people are like "OMG, this is like so amazeballs", and I'm like "Yeah, it's OK" and quite often these are things that have nothing to do with human emotions. For example, Jono's ridiculous reaction to the Honda Cog advert.
No, that's just enjoying something because it's very accomplished, in this case from a technical point of view. It's not really relevant here. And Jono saying that he applauded for ten minutes was fairly obviously not something that literally happened. Perhaps hyperbole is another thing that you don't understand?
This is precisely why it is relevant. My point was that it's not that I lack empathy, but that I'm generally less impressed by stuff I watch on TV. That can be emotional stuff or technical stuff. Yes, Jono was probably exaggerating, but the main point is that he was fucking impressed by it.
Well, it's more that I would instantly see that advert as a cynical ploy by a psychopathic advertising executive. So the more uplifting the message, the worse it makes the advert for me. (Not that I would be against all uplifting adverts, but that one strikes me as particularly cynical.)
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pmI bet you guys all look forward to the John Lewis Christmas adverts.
That's just a cheap shot, really, and I think you're better than that.
I can only apologise.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am Killing Eve - Completely in love with this, even though it tails off a bit in the second half of the series. Villanelle is pretty much the most engaging female character I've ever seen in a show. I love her and want to be her (minus the killing, I guess) and ABSOLUTELY want her wardrobe. Probably going to rewatch it in the near future.

Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.

Bojack Horseman season 5 - Outstanding first half, less engaging in the second half. Getting to a point where I hope they just kill Todd off; his moronic storylines are a constant, jarring distraction that increasingly feel forced and unwieldy. The Vietnam episode was my personal favourite. Luckily Gevin won't judge me because I totally didn't cry at the last 5 minutes :?

Crazy Ex Girlfriend season 4 - It's OK, but think it's probably for the best that this is its last season.

I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - Haven't watched this since like 2007 but with a cast of Harry Redknapp, John Barrowman, Anne Hegerty, Nick Knowles and NOEL EDMONDS, I was powerless to resist its siren call. And it's been fucking great so far - a love-in, but a fun love-in. Harry Redknapp and John Barrowman striking up a truly pure bromance is the most wholesome and beautiful thing. Very, very excited for Edmonds entering the jungle tonight.

In more trash reality viewing I've also been watching Masterchef Professionals (hardly, Marcus Wareing only has 1 Michelin star now ffs), Hell's Kitchen (way better when they're shit and he chucks them all out of the kitchen), and The Apprentice (the doughnut episode is one of the funniest things I've seen this year).
Noel Edmonds bushtucker trial has to be Eel or no Eel
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Sorry, Heather called it already - Meal or No Meal
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 amFleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.
I've not watched this because I was put off by the Guardian's constant articles about how it was The Greatest Comedy Show Ever Made And So Transgressive And Amazing And Empowering. Whereas if the gender roles were reversed, they'd have been slagging it off. Also it didn't really sound very funny. I don't know, maybe I'll give it a whirl sometime.
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 amIn more trash reality viewing I've also been watching Masterchef Professionals
I totally love MCTP (as all the cool kids call it). Both Marcus and Monica are totally firm but fair and I like that they can be really encouraging when things go wrong. They both come across as really nice people who genuinely want the contestants to do well. I especially love Monica as I have a bit of a thing for women who wear glasses.
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 amI'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - NOEL EDMONDS...Very, very excited for Edmonds entering the jungle tonight.
I too am going to watch this tonight for the first time in many years, just for the Edmonds action. It has the potential to be the funniest (or most car-crashy) thing ever shown on primetime ITV. I've been a bit obsessed with Noel ever since House Party was cancelled, because that was the point that he went from "annoying twat" to "completely mental". I really hope that he starts banging on about Lloyds Bank at some point.

Actually I have so much Noel stuff that I need to share that I'm going to start a Noel thread tonight, just need to get it all together. You're going to love it. We can revel in Noel's antics forever. For the moment though, I'll just leave this here:

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JimBentley wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 amFleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.
I've not watched this because I was put off by the Guardian's constant articles about how it was The Greatest Comedy Show Ever Made And So Transgressive And Amazing And Empowering. Whereas if the gender roles were reversed, they'd have been slagging it off.
I don't really understand this. The gender of the title character is pretty irrelevant. It's the fact that she's a messed-up human being which is initially mildly funny, until you find out why she's messed up, at which point it turns very bleak indeed. I just Googled the Guardian's articles on it and the first one I came up with compared it to Miranda, which it's about as far away from as I could imagine.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:32 pm
JimBentley wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm
I've not watched this because I was put off by the Guardian's constant articles about how it was The Greatest Comedy Show Ever Made And So Transgressive And Amazing And Empowering. Whereas if the gender roles were reversed, they'd have been slagging it off.
I don't really understand this. The gender of the title character is pretty irrelevant. It's the fact that she's a messed-up human being which is initially mildly funny, until you find out why she's messed up, at which point it turns very bleak indeed. I just Googled the Guardian's articles on it and the first one I came up with compared it to Miranda, which it's about as far away from as I could imagine.
Well, as I said, I've not seen it so I probably shouldn't be commenting about it, to be honest. But it certainly seemed that way at the time, mentions of Fleabag were shoehorned into pretty much every article about television (and a lot of other articles) and I just got bored with it. And do you seriously think that there would have been similar hyperbolic praise had a sitcom scene featured - for instance - a male lead character wanking off watching Michelle Obama?

They did a very similar thing when Beyonce released "Lemonade", it was like every single commentator had to write an article about how groundbreaking and amazing the album was, so much so that it became a joke within the comment sections. It's not that the album was bad, it was quite competent as albums by major commercial artists go, but that's all it was. It wasn't a genre-defining feminist/political statement, it was just a collection of moderately catchy pop songs that was hyped beyond belief, but reading the reviews you would think that this album was not only the best of its year, it was the best of all-time. That sort of unjustified hype puts me off and I think is ultimately counter-productive.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

My missus just got the Christmas TV guide and just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
Can't wait
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm My missus just got the Christmas TV guide and just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
Can't wait
I will watch that, but I can wait.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sorry, that I used my least favourite figure of speech, evidently, I can wait but hopefully you knew what I meant.
Although in this modern age the time and date of a program has almost become irrelevant with the various forms of catch up TV available.
Although I'm still pissed off that the BBC' didn't keep They Shall Not Grow Old on the iPlayer for longer than a week 😠
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
Yeah, I spotted a clip from this in a festive trailer montage thing on BBC1 the other night. Hopefully a precursor to a full second series.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm Sorry, that I used my least favourite figure of speech, evidently, I can wait but hopefully you knew what I meant.
Although in this modern age the time and date of a program has almost become irrelevant with the various forms of catch up TV available.
Although I'm still pissed off that the BBC' didn't keep They Shall Not Grow Old on the iPlayer for longer than a week 😠
I wasn't being pedantic; I just meant that while I'm looking forward to it, I don't think it's quite as great as you do.

Some films have weird rights issues so either don't go on the iPlayer or only go on for a short amount of time. Just make sure you check these things before they expire! I watched it - quite moving! :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
Yeah, I spotted a clip from this in a festive trailer montage thing on BBC1 the other night. Hopefully a precursor to a full second series.
I would be shocked if RTE didn't commission a second series
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm My missus just got the Christmas TV guide and just to give those interested the heads up that a Young Offenders chrsitmas Special is on BBC one at 11.15 pm 23rd December.
The Radio Times preview is suitably appetite-whetting:

It's on iPlayer from today. All six episodes of the first series are also available. I just plucked up courage to rewatch episode 3 and was a howling ball of snot by the end credits.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Cheers Phil , that's tonight's entertainment sorted
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

No spoiler review of The Young Offenders Christmas Special
The boys are back on form, funny, touching, sweet and gross in all the right measures.
Not good for my Chest infection though
Roll on Season 2
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

"Narcos: Mexico" on Netflix.

I suppose it's very similar to "Narcos", but set in Mexico, and with cannabis instead of cocaine (although they do upgrade to smuggling cocaine for the Colombians).

It's very violent and most of the dialogue is subtitled, but fascinating nonetheless. This series highlights the government/police/Mexican DEA corruption much more than the previous series did.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 am No spoiler review of The Young Offenders Christmas Special
The boys are back on form, funny, touching, sweet and gross in all the right measures.
Not good for my Chest infection though
Roll on Season 2
I thought it was OK. Had some nice moments, and I liked the development of the character of Billy, but it suffered from the same problem as most "Christmas specials" in that the sentiment seemed pasted on rather than being a natural by-product of the characters and their situation. Also the principal's family didn't really have much to do with the plot, and the filming location for Conor's house had clearly changed from the first series. But anyway, hopefully we won't have to wait too long for series 2.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Well season one came out in March, so here's hoping.

I spent too long watching the Christmas special trying to work out where j had seen Robert Sheehan before.
I eventually worked it out ( using IMDB ) that he played BJ in the excellent Red Riding1983 , Channel Four drama based on the David Peace books
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 am season one came out in March
I watched it in February.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 pm
I probably was on an RTE website.
I'm guessing the iPlayer had it earlier
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 am
I watched it on a thing called BBC1. It's great, you should give it a try.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 am

I watched it on a thing called BBC1. It's great, you should give it a try.
Try not to watch BBC TV as it's ruining TV with its positive discrimination gone mad policy.( Dr Who, I rest my case ).
However for some bizarre reason I don't include the iPlayer in my own discrimination.
What can I say I'm full of contradictions !!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Two from across the pond
True Detective season three,.
Forget about the disappointment of season 2 this goes back to the deep South and Mahershala Ali is superb .

Escape at Dannemora I very binge watch this true story prison drama.
I was surprised Ben Stiller directed it because it was superb, Paul Dano and an almost unrecognisable Patricia Arquette are very good in it.
I have dubbed it the Shawskank Redemption
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pmAll three seasons of Fargo were astoundingly good, to the point where I see no need to try and pick a favourite or pick a weak one, though most other people who have watched it seem to want to do this.
Absolutely enjoying the shit out of Fargo. Half way through season 3 and they're all individually brilliantly acted, cinematographed, soundtracked.. everything. The style is just so stylish. Will be gutted when I'm finished.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fargo is superb.
If you need to fill a hole when it's finished.
Watched Legion made by the same bloke.
Noah Hawley.
He's written a couple of great books too.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Just binge watched Russian Doll on Netflix.
It starts off slow but stick with it.
8 x 25 minute episodes that is based on the Groundhog formula but with a twist.
Funny and compelling, and for once a satisfying conclusion that doesn't require a sequel
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Just finished watching Black Mirror on Netflix.

For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for some reason Netflix made me watch it back to front (kind of a Black Mirror moment), so I watched Season 4 first and Season 1 last.

All fine, until tonight, when I watched my final episode, "The National Anthem".

What can I say? The biggest pile of shite that's ever come through my TV screen (and yes, I have watched a full episode of "Mrs Brown's Boys").

The entire premise was distasteful and ludicrous. I'm amazed the series wasn't pulled after episode 1.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Paul Worsley wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am Just finished watching Black Mirror on Netflix.

For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for some reason Netflix made me watch it back to front (kind of a Black Mirror moment), so I watched Season 4 first and Season 1 last.

All fine, until tonight, when I watched my final episode, "The National Anthem".

What can I say? The biggest pile of shite that's ever come through my TV screen (and yes, I have watched a full episode of "Mrs Brown's Boys").

The entire premise was distasteful and ludicrous. I'm amazed the series wasn't pulled after episode 1.
The first two series were on channel 4.
I watched the National Anthem first and like you was not impressed.
I only went back to it when season three started along with my Netflix subscription.
Season three and four are the best series.
SS Callister and Hang the D.J. are my favourite episodes
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Paul Worsley wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am Just finished watching Black Mirror on Netflix.

Did it make you or did it just come as by default and you didn't do anything to stop it?
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Did it make you or did it just come as by default and you didn't do anything to stop it?
Not sure. Maybe our Smart TVs are watching us and gauging our reactions to each episode before deciding which one to show us next.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Paul Worsley wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 amAll fine, until tonight, when I watched my final episode, "The National Anthem"...The entire premise was distasteful and ludicrous. I'm amazed the series wasn't pulled after episode 1.
Probably because outside of Bible-Belt America, TV stations tend not to be run by concerned prudes. The days of Mary Whitehouse types having influence over media have long gone, thank god.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This Time with Alan Partridge obviously. I thought it was good, but I wasn't like "Fuck, that was amazing" afterwards.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm This Time with Alan Partridge obviously. I thought it was good, but I wasn't like "Fuck, that was amazing" afterwards.
Hard to believe that Alan Partridge had been going for 25 years , longer if you count the radio
It was quite funny but you can tell the difference between when Iannuci wrote it and these new guys
Still funnier than anything currently on terrestrial TV
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I've finally caught up with The Good Doctor about a surgical intern on the Autism Spectrum.
Its quite good although I'm not sure if it is an entirely accurate representation of someone on the spectrum.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm working my way through the second series of White Gold on the iPlayer. If you don't know, it's a comedy about a double glazing firm set in the 1980s. I think it's quite good. Well, it's probably more about swearing and sex than actual double glazing but whatever.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Just finished True Detective season 3. Had held off season 2 because of the poor reviews for years, but watched 2 and 3 in close succession. Thought 2 was pretty decent - it's only poor in comparison to how good season 1 was, it's not really poor at all reviewed objectively as a standalone drama. Still really enjoyed it. 3 was excellent. I still don't think it was as good as season 1 perhaps, but still brilliant. Ali is a stunning actor I think.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:47 am Just finished True Detective season 3. Had held off season 2 because of the poor reviews for years, but watched 2 and 3 in close succession. Thought 2 was pretty decent - it's only poor in comparison to how good season 1 was, it's not really poor at all reviewed objectively as a standalone drama. Still really enjoyed it. 3 was excellent. I still don't think it was as good as season 1 perhaps, but still brilliant. Ali is a stunning actor I think.
I may go back to Season 2 but after 2 episodes I was disappointed, but Season three is superb, Dourf and Ali really acted well in this and Scoot McNairy was excellent too.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Just binge watched After Life by Ricky Gervais.
Wasn't sure if I'd like it having found Derek a little hard to watch at times, but After Life is very good.
Rude, touching funny and just the best depiction of grief
suicide and depression and how it affects people.
Don't let the subject matter put you off though.
Unless you cannot stand Ricky Gervais, you will love it
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Cheat
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Tom S wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 pmCheat
It had plot holes you could drive a tank through, unbelievable behaviour by grown men and women in a position of trust, ridiculous, reasoning and motives.
I enjoyed it though 😁
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Anybody watch The OA.
Weird but compelling
It's on Netflix if you are interested.
Not seen season 2 yet
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am Fleabag - Not finding it as funny as I thought I would? The Obama scene was very entertaining though.
OK, so Season 1 might have underwhelmed me but Season 2 was *immense*. (Even aside from Andrew Scott being massively fanciable.)

This Time - Massively hit and miss. The biggest hit is obviously Martin Brennan.

RuPaul's Drag Race season 11 - Can fully believe the rumour that it got bumped down the schedule because of quality concerns...

Race Across The World - Good fun, legit thrilled that there was a whole episode on the Stans.

Derry Girls - Rly enjoyed this again, especially the Take That episode.

Masterchef - IRINI <333 My favourite series of the show thus far. Great bunch of lads in finals week.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Things I've watched recently:

Masterchef - Agree with Jen that this was the best ever series. Usually I'd be gutted by one of my favourites being 4th, but by the end, they were ALL one of my favourites. Couldn't have been happier with the series.

Masterchef Australia Season 10 - Not quite finished it yet, but only a few episodes to go. Standard is consistently high, but I'm not feeling that any of them are likely to be absolute stars of the level which a few of them have before.

Great British Menu - Loving the theme for this series. Loving that they're allowing the chefs to go through into the judges' chamber this series. Not loving the judging though. Routinely feeling that people are being over/undermarked based on the comments. Especially the Friday episode of last week.

Nailed It! - I don't think I've often been more entertained than watching egotistical Americans who can't bake, demonstrate that they can't bake. Excellent simple cheer up.

The Final Plate - Netflix' version of Great British Menu but on steroids. Better than that description though. Genuinely interesting learning about different food cultures, different food ethoses, would strongly recommend.

The End of the F****** World - Finally got around to watching this. Was in no way disappointed, other than being fairly certain that the ending manages to be less impactful when I already knew they were planning another series. Look forward to being proven utterly wrong on this though.

Derry Girls - Series 2 has been good, but I don't feel QUITE as good as the first series overall. That said I have been incredibly moved/amused/engaged by certain parts, but I feel there's been fewer near-perfect episodes.

Schitt's Creek - Started this recently, and have been really enjoying it. Amazed that there's 6 seasons of it though, I'd have thought the joke would grow pretty tired pretty quickly, but I look forward to being proven wrong.

The Order - Admittedly this was less me CHOOSING to watch something, and more being in the room whilst it's on, however as a plot goes for something fantasyish, it was reasonable, if a little bit trope-filled. Whilst the plot is decent however, the acting is absolutely fucking terrible. This does make it mildly entertaining on a few occasions though.

Big Brother Canada - Got really into how different it is from other countries' versions. Incredibly strategic, incredibly psychological, I very much hope that if BB ever comes back to this country, they follow this model.

I think this is everything... I've probably forgotten something though.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Watching the reboot of The Twilight Zone.
Only seen the first two.
A modern update of familiar stories from the sixties/seventies.
Quite good.
Jordan Peele doing the Rod Serling bit.

Season 5 of The Line of Duty.
Excellent so far.
Getting a little weary of all the characters whose surname begins with H though
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Latest Black Mirror was disappointing. Was expecting good things after Bandersnatch but the new episodes were fairly weak. The cabbie one was probably the best of the bunch but still a bit bland. Think Charlie might be running out of ideas. Could do with getting some other writers.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Football
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Years and Years on the BBC. Quite an interesting drama set in the near future suggesting how things might pan out. I'd recommend it.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:24 pm Years and Years on the BBC. Quite an interesting drama set in the near future suggesting how things might pan out. I'd recommend it.
Sort of like Black Mirror light.
Very scary as it's all plausible
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mark James wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:21 pm Latest Black Mirror was disappointing. Was expecting good things after Bandersnatch but the new episodes were fairly weak. The cabbie one was probably the best of the bunch but still a bit bland. Think Charlie might be running out of ideas. Could do with getting some other writers.
I liked them.

Killing Eve series 2 as well..
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

I watched Soccer Aid for UNICEF last night great game great cause disappointed that World XI won but we won last year and 2016 so can’t complain.
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

RuPaul's Drag Race season 11 - Not up to scratch. Awful decision-making throughout, and a cast that flunked every landmark challenge.

Killing Eve season 2 - Not as captivating as the first season so far but I'm always here for Villanelle's style <3

Chernobyl - So bleak, but so excellent. I knew a lot of the general timeline and basic details but the personal stories were heartbreaking, it explained how nuclear power works in a pretty accessible way, and the attention to Soviet detail is apparently spot on. I liked how (even though they were speaking English, with English accents) all the text was in Cyrillic.

Love Island season 5 - Mostly been a bit boring but it's finally started to actually liven up now. Would definitely watch a Tommy Fury reality show where he has to do basic adult things like using a hoover and doing his laundry. Absolute disaster of a human being. Mostly enjoying Maura's chaotic libido but trying to force a kiss on Tommy was totally unacceptable. Joe is a manipulative wang who needs to get in the bin.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:46 am RuPaul's Drag Race season 11 - Not up to scratch. Awful decision-making throughout, and a cast that flunked every landmark challenge.

Killing Eve season 2 - Not as captivating as the first season so far but I'm always here for Villanelle's style <3

Chernobyl - So bleak, but so excellent. I knew a lot of the general timeline and basic details but the personal stories were heartbreaking, it explained how nuclear power works in a pretty accessible way, and the attention to Soviet detail is apparently spot on. I liked how (even though they were speaking English, with English accents) all the text was in Cyrillic.

Love Island season 5 - Mostly been a bit boring but it's finally started to actually liven up now. Would definitely watch a Tommy Fury reality show where he has to do basic adult things like using a hoover and doing his laundry. Absolute disaster of a human being. Mostly enjoying Maura's chaotic libido but trying to force a kiss on Tommy was totally unacceptable. Joe is a manipulative wang who needs to get in the bin.
Only people with half a brain watch Love Island people have committed suicide after going on that bull crap.