What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Y'all complaining that Off-topic is dead, so I made a thread.

Been enjoying Great British Menu and Bake Off recently - rooting for Nadiya to win the latter - as well as Parks & Recreation, disappointing first series aside. (And Countdown, obviously, but no-one here's interested in that.) New series of The Apprentice and Masterchef are coming up in a few weeks as well, so pretty excited about those.

What've you been watching?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Jon Corby »

Lazytown.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Just started a 'cinema club' at work today, we started watching the new David Simon miniseries, Show Me a Hero. Good start. Feels quite The Wire-esque after the first hour.

Other than that currently half way through a variety of series; Louis, Catfish, The Strain, Silicon Valley.
Just on the verge of starting some; The Jinx, Narcos.
And on unexpectedly long-term hiatuses in others; True Detective, Boardwalk Empire, Californication, Eastbound & Down.

And then about twenty others waiting on the list that I'm nowhere near.

In terms of regular TV, basically nothing.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

My house is quickly turning into a box set museum. Last one I polished off was season 2 of the Blacklist (highly recommended), I'm currently on season 3 of Elementary and will start season 3 of Person of Interest once that's done.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Broadchurch was the best thing I've watched for a while. Totally missed the boat when it was on telly but binged on it the last couple of weeks.

Watching Luther now.

House of Cards was decent.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon O'Neill wrote:House of Cards was decent.
I want to see that, I loved the original and I'd like to see what Kevin Spacey does with it. When's it going to be free? I can wait.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Narcos is top. I watched the entire thing in a day a few weeks ago. Took a while to get on with the lead guy but I couldn't stop watching it. Started to rewatch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia again. On regular television I tend to stick with quiz shows and sport. I can't explain why but I also got into watching twitch feeds. It seems so stupid to watch other people play video games but I enjoy it for some reason. I guess it doesn't count as a tv programme though. And I tend to watch them on youtube rather than the actual live stream. Also on youtube I like Numberphile and I've also been watching tons of card trick tutorials. Again though they probably don't count as tv shows but I watch way more youtube than tv these days.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

OK a thread. Broad summary of TV over the last year:

true detective first season amazing, only watched first two epis of s2. Loved Fargo. House of Cards season 3 a bit of a let down, but discovering the original made up for it. Binged on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, top top show. Also binged on Parks and Rec but got a bit tired around season 5 - episodes somewhat formulaic. Community is good, need to get back on board with that. Also watching Louie (slowly), generally good but some episodes just don't do it. Watched all of Derek in one day, really warmed to it by the end. Orange is the new black is good, but I only watch a bit at a time. Californication good, sometimes brilliant. Rewatched Peep Show (monthly recap, almost). Classic Simpsons too. That's about it. Oh, and watching c4cers on Only Connect and the odd episode of Countdown.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't watch that much really. I watch sciency programmes like Horizon and Michael Mosley's latest diet, but not many fictional series. I watched Humans when that was on but it wasn't that great, and for some reason ended up watching Under the Dome but that was pretty shithouse.

Last year I watched every episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm over a couple of months, but I suppose that's probably nothing compared to some of you box set freaks who would watch them all in about a week. But yeah, that was good.

I've been watching most of the old Countdowns on Challenge, but judging by the spoilers threads, most of you probably haven't.

And obviously I watch all the Formula One races. And I'm going to America for that one, so not on TV so irrelevant to this thread. But I'll probably watch a recording when I get back, making it relevant again.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Dave Gorman's Modern Life Is Goodish. Well written stuff.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Broadchurch was the best thing I've watched for a while. Totally missed the boat when it was on telly but binged on it the last couple of weeks.
It was fucking shit. It literally made no sense whatsoever, it was one of the worst written piles of crap I've seen in ages.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JimBentley wrote:
I want to see that, I loved the original and I'd like to see what Kevin Spacey does with it. When's it going to be free? I can wait.
I have an exact date. Friday 29th January 2016.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Broadchurch was the best thing I've watched for a while. Totally missed the boat when it was on telly but binged on it the last couple of weeks.
It was fucking shit. It literally made no sense whatsoever, it was one of the worst written piles of crap I've seen in ages.
Well anything will look shit if you compare it to Lazytown..
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Have you watched both series? The first one was stunningly good, the second patchy - still worth watching, but the first series had set the bar impossibly high.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Have you watched both series? The first one was stunningly good, the second patchy - still worth watching, but the first series had set the bar impossibly high.
Yeah... I love a legal drama so I enjoyed the change of pace, enjoyed that more than the concurrent whodunnit.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Currently on Season 5 of Sons of Anarchy. I can't do the binge watching, so it takes me a few months to get through a box set.

I've watched The Walking Dead from the beginning, so I'm looking forward to the new series in a couple of weeks, even though it stopped being great a while ago.
The spin-off, Fear the Walking Dead has been disappointing.

This is England '90
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Matt Morrison wrote:Just started a 'cinema club' at work today, we started watching the new David Simon miniseries, Show Me a Hero. Good start. Feels quite The Wire-esque after the first hour.

Other than that currently half way through a variety of series; Louis, Catfish, The Strain, Silicon Valley.
And on unexpectedly long-term hiatuses in others; True Detective, Boardwalk Empire, Californication, Eastbound & Down.

You forgot Masterchef Australia.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ben Wilson wrote:My house is quickly turning into a box set museum. Last one I polished off was season 2 of the Blacklist (highly recommended), I'm currently on season 3 of Elementary and will start season 3 of Person of Interest once that's done.
No spoilers for POI3 if you start it before me please :P
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

Heroes Reborn has just started (and looks more promising than S3 and 4 of the original show). Orphan Black is rather good and 30 Rock is hilarious.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Paul Worsley wrote:I've watched The Walking Dead from the beginning, so I'm looking forward to the new series in a couple of weeks, even though it stopped being great a while ago.
The spin-off, Fear the Walking Dead has been disappointing.
A bit off topic, but I've played two Walking Dead computer games. They were quite good if a little harrowing. I also watched a couple of episodes of the TV series on an aeroplane once.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
I enjoyed the first far more than the second (which was AWFUL), although it still left far too much unexplained for my liking.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jon Corby wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
I enjoyed the first far more than the second (which was AWFUL), although it still left far too much explained for my liking.
Having not seen the show, I can't tell if that's a typo or not...
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Conor wrote:Also binged on Parks and Rec but got a bit tired around season 5 - episodes somewhat formulaic.
Yeah, I've found this. Jam is also irredeemably awful (I know that's the point of him, but even so).
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Apart from a couple of weekly quizzes, news and occasional sport (mainly motorsports and rugby league), pretty much all I ever watch is whatever my other half puts on, which generally seem to be programmes on hoarders, UK police shows, Silent Witness, and Law and Order UK. Given the choice, I almost always default to the radio.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Zarte Siempre wrote:Having not seen the show, I can't tell if that's a typo or not...
Whoops, yes, it should have said unexplained. And there's me criticising the writing of others. :roll:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Paul Worsley wrote:I've watched The Walking Dead from the beginning, so I'm looking forward to the new series in a couple of weeks, even though it stopped being great a while ago.
A bit off topic, but I've played two Walking Dead computer games. They were quite good if a little harrowing.
I think they are by Telltale Games, right? I think they have got universal critical acclaim for these interactive adventure type games of recent years. I think they did the Monkey Island reboot a few years before that amongst others. May have to get around to playing these.

Also you are welcome to start a "what computer games..."
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Just started a 'cinema club' at work today, we started watching the new David Simon miniseries, Show Me a Hero. Good start. Feels quite The Wire-esque after the first hour.

You forgot Masterchef Australia.
Considered mentioning it but it felt too long ago to bother! That and it's a source of ridicule obviously.
Was flicking through channels and noticed they are still showing it on Watch (or whatever channel it is) and they are still at the one million contestants left stage.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Giles wrote:Heroes Reborn has just started (and looks more promising than S3 and 4 of the original show). Orphan Black is rather good and 30 Rock is hilarious.
Finally caught Heroes Reborn today. Wasn't too impressed with the first half but thought the second half was much stronger. Let's hope it is indeed better than S3 and 4
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Mark Deeks wrote:Dave Gorman's Modern Life Is Goodish. Well written stuff.
This is one of those shows I never set out to watch but if I do watch I enjoy.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Also 30 Rock is amazing too. Heard rumours there's a new season of Curb your Enthusiasm on the way too which would be great news. I think I might have mentioned it elsewhere on this forum but the best comedies of the modern era don't have laughter tracks. If a new comedy does I know I'm going to hate it (The Big Bang Theory is one of the worst things I've ever seen that a lot of people I know rave about). The only comedy made this millenium that has a laughter track and is still good is the IT Crowd. Although I think the latest Red Dwarf stuff has suffered from not having one.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
I have an exact date. Friday 29th January 2016.
Hehe, I get it. It's a date!

I know I've gone on about it before, but if - anyone - hasn't seen Arrested Development, I can highly recommend it. Best US sitcom since Seinfeld.

Oh, and I really enjoyed Humans, although I think the last couple of episodes suffered as they had to change the ending to accommodate a new series when it was re-commissioned.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote: I know I've gone on about it before, but if - anyone - hasn't seen Arrested Development, I can highly recommend it. Best US sitcom since Seinfeld.
That's not much recommendation since what I've seen of Seinfeld is bollocks!
Last edited by Ian Volante on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:That's not much recommendation since what I've seen of Seinfeld is bollocks!
Strange...we should arrange to have a chat about that as you're roughly my age and we seem to share a similar sort of humour, outlook on life, etc.

It might well be one of those Brian Clough-style chats though, where we discuss all the pros and cons, deliberate for a while and then just decide that I'm right.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Sort your quotes out Volante you mentalist.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:Sort your quotes out Volante you mentalist.
Spoilsport!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:That's not much recommendation since what I've seen of Seinfeld is bollocks!
Strange...we should arrange to have a chat about that as you're roughly my age and we seem to share a similar sort of humour, outlook on life, etc.

It might well be one of those Brian Clough-style chats though, where we discuss all the pros and cons, deliberate for a while and then just decide that I'm right.
You might indeed be right. Well for comedy, I'd choose to watch Monty Python, Billy Connolly, Father Ted, One Foot In The Grave, Yes Minister, League of Gentlemen and owt by Chris Morris above most other stuff.

However, I have to admit, I once laughed at a one-liner in a Friends episode, and I'm still struggling to live it down.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

First two episodes of the new series of Peep Show are both in my top 10 favourite episodes ever.. this is really heartening because the last couple of series were a bit of a dip.

Also watched loads of Shooting Stars clips last night.. amazing.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

episode 2 was brilliant, i thought episode 1 was pretty disappointing once you get past "yay peep show is back".
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

we're going to do The Last Panthers next in work - did anyone watch it?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

When I went to America recently my friend had Snuff Box on his computer and I watched all of that. Very good.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

JimBentley wrote: I know I've gone on about it before, but if - anyone - hasn't seen Arrested Development, I can highly recommend it. Best US sitcom since Seinfeld.
Finally got around to watching it and really enjoyed it. Not as good as Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Curb imo but certainly one of the best in recent times. Don't get why the fourth season got so much stick. I liked what it was trying to do.

I also want to recommend Love/Hate, an Irish crime drama (Think Ch5 might have shown it in the UK). RTE usually produces crap so this was a real surprise. Some of the acting talent was a real find.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:episode 2 was brilliant, i thought episode 1 was pretty disappointing once you get past "yay peep show is back".
I thought they were OK. I didn't mentally compare them with other episodes. I didn't go away thinking they were shit or brilliant though. But I'm not sure Peep Show will ever recover from changing to that shit trendy-sounding theme tune in series 2. WHY???
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I just saw the latest of those supermarket-based Christmas ads with that tedious family with the thicko son. I was extremely disappointed when the woman he was bothering picked up a wine bottle and didn't cunt him with it.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Really liked Peep Show both episodes. First one is a bit weird but it's got some edge. Finally watched Arrested Development Season 4 - anyone who gives it stick is a nob. It's brilliant - different in style to the rest, but so funny and cleverly done. Started watching Narcos, it's really good. I also liked Snuff Box - watched all of that at work last year.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Matt Morrison wrote:episode 2 was brilliant, i thought episode 1 was pretty disappointing once you get past "yay peep show is back".
Ha, I found the opposite - thought episode 1 was great but episode 2 was disappointing.

EDIT: Also the John Lewis Christmas ad is absolute cack.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The Sainsbury's one is only great because it's Mog. Essentially it's pretty shit too. Mog doesn't even feel right in 3D. But it's still Mog.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:The Sainsbury's one is only great because it's Mog. Essentially it's pretty shit too. Mog doesn't even feel right in 3D. But it's still Mog.
For whatever reason I've not seen that one, although I saw a news article about it. Is it Mog that hangs around with Meg? Must be weird in 3-D!
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:The Sainsbury's one is only great because it's Mog. Essentially it's pretty shit too. Mog doesn't even feel right in 3D. But it's still Mog.
For whatever reason I've not seen that one, although I saw a news article about it. Is it Mog that hangs around with Meg? Must be weird in 3-D!
Sadly I was disappointed to find that it's not that Mog, it's another one that's far more suited to a schmaltzy Christmas ad.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matthew Tassier wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Sadly I was disappointed to find that it's not that Mog, it's another one that's far more suited to a schmaltzy Christmas ad.
Oh, shame. Or, on balance, probably good. So why were the articles all making it sound like the Mog that everyone knows and loves rather than Mog who's just a random advert cat?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:Oh, shame. Or, on balance, probably good. So why were the articles all making it sound like the Mog that everyone knows and loves rather than Mog who's just a random advert cat?
Because it is supposed to be Mog. A commercial deal was done, money exchanged hands. It's no secret.
In November 2015, Mog returned as a CGI character for the 2015 Christmas advert for supermarket Sainsbury's. In Mog's Christmas Calamity Mog accidentally starts a fire in her home after having a bad dream, but is able to alert the fire brigade (as she had called 999 when scrabbling across a phone), She is hailed a hero for saving her owners, and is later given an egg as a treat. Kerr herself appears in this advert as a neighbour of the Thomas family. A special plush Mog and book version of the story were sold exclusively through Sainsbury's, with all profits being donated to Save the Children's child literacy work.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ah right, that's not Mog of "Meg & Mog" fame. I've never seen that impostor before.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:Ah right, that's not Mog of "Meg & Mog" fame. I've never seen that impostor before.
Seriously, I had to look this up, I had no idea there was a rival Mog.

You live and learn, eh?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was aware of both Mog and Meg and Mog. Screw you all.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I was aware of both Mog and Meg and Mog. Screw you all.
Yeah, but what's your position on Conservative politicians wanking on webcams? When they actively target underage girls to see the full view of all their "policies"? And their "goods"? I wanted you to make your position clear on this issue prior to the election, and you sat on the fence. So screw you, and the Newmark you rode in on.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah I know both Mogses very well (and have a stack of books to prove it) but I feel like Mog What Done A Sainsbury is by far the more famous one. I feel like Judith Kerr is far more well known than Jan Pienkowski too, which is no doubt all part of it.

What do you think in the battle of the Mogs Gevin, as the only other well educated person here?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah I know both Mogses very well (and have a stack of books to prove it) but I feel like Mog What Done A Sainsbury is by far the more famous one. I feel like Judith Kerr is far more well known than Jan Pienkowski too, which is no doubt all part of it.

What do you think in the battle of the Mogs Gevin, as the only other well educated person here?
Personally I feel more familiar with Mog from Meg and Mog and I also remember seeing a stage show of this back in the 1820s or something.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Ah right, that's not Mog of "Meg & Mog" fame. I've never seen that impostor before.
Seriously, I had to look this up, I had no idea there was a rival Mog.

You live and learn, eh?
Me too. Never heard of the weird fat Mog. Scandalised.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

OMG
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:But I'm not sure Peep Show will ever recover from changing to that shit trendy-sounding theme tune in series 2. WHY???
What is the general consensus here on the Peep Show theme tune thing?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Just started a 'cinema club' at work today.
Do you have the necessary PPL rights or whatever to show these?