What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Ashton Hancock » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 am

A while ago I watched “Race Across The World” where 4 teams of 2 raced from London to Singapore.
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event

Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 am

Ashton Hancock wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:13 am
Only people with half a brain watch Love Island
If I only have half a brain then I probably won't be very good at a Co-event, so I won't be attending Co:Rot. Sorry hun x
go away xoxo

Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 am
Ashton Hancock wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:13 am
Only people with half a brain watch Love Island
If I only have half a brain then I probably won't be very good at a Co-event, so I won't be attending Co:Rot. Sorry hun x
I don’t literally mean that it was a joke as I don’t like the programme I apologise please attend CoRot.
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:14 pm

The Virtues.
Not an easy watch , but brilliant acting , especially from Stephen Graham.
Years and Years , Black Mirroresque , very good .
Gets a bit Doctor Who like towards the end but still perfectly feasible future for Great Britain.
Quite chilling.....Boris/Jean Rook
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Black Mirror (series 5) - always good, though nothing really groundbreaking this series

White Gold (series 2) - fun watch, good characters

The Sopranos - exceptional show. Been waiting years to properly watch this.

I am also re-watching Bojack Horseman. Such a relatable show.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:14 pm
Years and Years , Black Mirroresque , very good .
Gets a bit Doctor Who like towards the end but still perfectly feasible future for Great Britain.
Quite chilling.....Boris/Jean Rook
I think the end bit was a little bit too weird and definitely too long.

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:07 pm

Chernobyl, incredibly gripping viewing. 8-) 8-) 8-)
CO:WY COMING SOON.... ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

Ash Smith

Post by Ash Smith » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:13 am

The Voice Kids Uk

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Year of the Rabbit (starring Matt Berry) which has just finished on Channel 4 is pretty good. Also, Catch-22.

Also, I've literally just watched A Cut Too Far? Male Circumcision on the iPlayer. I think it was a bit of a lightweight analysis of it to be honest, and you can probably guess where I stand on the issue.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:03 pm
Also, I've literally just watched A Cut Too Far? Male Circumcision on the iPlayer. I think it was a bit of a lightweight analysis of it to be honest, and you can probably guess where I stand on the issue.
Must admit I didn't see this so don't know what side it came down on (if it did take a side). Sure, it's occasionally necessary for medical reasons (in the case of phimosis) but that's pretty rare (maybe 1% of the population) and even then is only undertaken as a last resort. I think circumcision for cultural or religious reasons is pretty abhorrent and I don't really see why it's treated any differently to FGM (female genital mutilation), which has been a criminal offence in this country for decades. The two things are pretty much analogous.

Fiona T
Acolyte

Post by Fiona T » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:17 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:50 pm
= The two things are pretty much analogous.
They're really not. I agree with you that male circumcision is unnecessary and can cause problems and I would happily see it banned, but the terrible lifelong and frequently life threatening complications caused by FGM are in a different league.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:14 am

Fiona T wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:17 pm
JimBentley wrote:
They're really not. I agree with you that male circumcision is unnecessary and can cause problems and I would happily see it banned, but the terrible lifelong and frequently life threatening complications caused by FGM are in a different league.
You're right of course. We agree on this. I don't post here very much any more but when I do, I must admit that I get a bit overheated with my opinions. Start out at an extreme and work in. I just like to get a response - any response - sometimes. It's borderline trolling, really. Actually not really borderline.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:14 am
Fiona T wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
You're right of course. We agree on this. I don't post here very much any more but when I do, I must admit that I get a bit overheated with my opinions. Start out at an extreme and work in. I just like to get a response - any response - sometimes. It's borderline trolling, really. Actually not really borderline.
You've been outed, Jim!

But while we're here, of course FGM is far worse than MGM (which we can call it here), but it does annoy me that MGM is largely brushed under the carpet in the mainstream media, whereas FGM gets far more air time. For example, I'm sure FGM has come up a handful of times in recent years on Question Time, whereas MGM has not. But to me, this is back to front. FGM is already illegal and generally thought of as a bad thing. There's no actual controversy surrounding it (in the UK at least), so it doesn't really need time on a political debate show. You just end up getting the panellists agreeing with each other, but trying to sound more sincere than the others about it. MGM, on the other hand, is controversial and people are divided on it, so it's exactly the sort of thing they should be discussing and debating. But obviously because it's associated with Jews and Muslims, it becomes a bit too sensitive because no-one wants to come across as anti-Semitic or Islamophobic, so the issue just doesn't get discussed. But this is just weak. Religious beliefs should not have any status above any other sort of belief and when it affects your actions in the world, they are very much up for discussion, thank you very much.

Anyway, in the programme that actually addressed the issue, they didn't really have people pushing for it to be illegal. They did actually have a surgeon that compared it to FGM, which surprised me, but he didn't explicitly call for it to be illegal and really only said it because of the question he was asked. He certainly didn't seem desperate to get any particular viewpoint across. It was a poorly made programme.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 pm
You've been outed, Jim!
To be fair, I think most of us already knew. It's not like I make any kind of effort to hide it or anything.

This is probably going to come across as incredibly patronising but I think that Fiona has really revitalised these forums. I'm actually bothered to post stuff again, even if it is all rubbish. I am a big Fiona T fan and I don't mind who knows it.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:12 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 pm
JimBentley wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:14 am
Fiona T wrote:

You've been outed, Jim!

But while we're here, of course FGM is far worse than MGM (which we can call it here), but it does annoy me that MGM is largely brushed under the carpet in the mainstream media, whereas FGM gets far more air time. For example, I'm sure FGM has come up a handful of times in recent years on Question Time, whereas MGM has not. But to me, this is back to front. FGM is already illegal and generally thought of as a bad thing. There's no actual controversy surrounding it (in the UK at least), so it doesn't really need time on a political debate show. You just end up getting the panellists agreeing with each other, but trying to sound more sincere than the others about it. MGM, on the other hand, is controversial and people are divided on it, so it's exactly the sort of thing they should be discussing and debating. But obviously because it's associated with Jews and Muslims, it becomes a bit too sensitive because no-one wants to come across as anti-Semitic or Islamophobic, so the issue just doesn't get discussed. But this is just weak. Religious beliefs should not have any status above any other sort of belief and when it affects your actions in the world, they are very much up for discussion, thank you very much.

Anyway, in the programme that actually addressed the issue, they didn't really have people pushing for it to be illegal. They did actually have a surgeon that compared it to FGM, which surprised me, but he didn't explicitly call for it to be illegal and really only said it because of the question he was asked. He certainly didn't seem desperate to get any particular viewpoint across. It was a poorly made programme.
Good to see that I can associate my full initials with something other than the movie studio

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:15 pm

The fundamental difference between FGM and MGM is that circumcision is a medical procedure that can be performed if it alleviates a medical condition.
FGM is just barbaric.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:15 pm
The fundamental difference between FGM and MGM is that circumcision is a medical procedure that can be performed if it alleviates a medical condition.
FGM is just barbaric.
That only applies in the cases where there is a medical condition, which doesn't apply to the cases that I (and others) am (are) against.

Leg amputation can be a medical procedure...

Fiona T
Acolyte

Post by Fiona T » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:42 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
FGM is just barbaric.
That only applies in the cases where there is a medical condition, which doesn't apply to the cases that I (and others) am (are) against.

The equivalence between FGM and circumcision would be having your penis chopped off. Remove the ability for sexual pleasure and cause lifelong problems with normal biological functions. Equating the two is doing a disservice to the women who are routinely mutilated for some misogynistic ideology that women exist for the pleasure of men.

Personally, I don't think circumcision is a good thing, but is there evidence that (more than a few) men who were circumcised as babies are deeply affected as adults? On the flipside, I know an adult who needed to be circumcised for medical reasons and described the result as a 'dog's dinner'. FGM is never required for medical reasons.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Fiona T wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:49 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:42 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
FGM is just barbaric.

The equivalence between FGM and circumcision would be having your penis chopped off. Remove the ability for sexual pleasure and cause lifelong problems with normal biological functions. Equating the two is doing a disservice to the women who are routinely mutilated for some misogynistic ideology that women exist for the pleasure of men.

Personally, I don't think circumcision is a good thing, but is there evidence that (more than a few) men who were circumcised as babies are deeply affected as adults? On the flipside, I know an adult who needed to be circumcised for medical reasons and described the result as a 'dog's dinner'. FGM is never required for medical reasons.
No-one's equating the two. My point was just that the fundamental difference between the two is not what Marc Meakin suggested.

I'm not sure how many men are deeply affected as adults, but for a completely unnecessary procedure (in the cases we're talking about) it really only needs to be one. And not even deeply affected.

The point is that it is fundamentally wrong to amputate part of someone else's body for your own reasons when they are not old enough to make the decision for themselves. Talking about how many of these people are truly bothered by it is just a distraction really and any statistics someone might bring up to defend the practice do not make a dent in the main argument.

Fiona T
Acolyte

Post by Fiona T » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:17 pm
The point is that it is fundamentally wrong to amputate part of someone else's body for your own reasons when they are not old enough to make the decision for themselves.
This I think, most of us who are not persuaded by religious arguments, would agree on. I suppose the question for debate is whether those religious arguments take priority over informed consent. In my opinion they do not, but I have long since abandoned religion as a lost cause, but still have many good friends to whom it is a fundamental part of their lives.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Fiona T wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:31 pm
I suppose the question for debate is whether those religious arguments take priority over informed consent. In my opinion they do not, but I have long since abandoned religion as a lost cause, but still have many good friends to whom it is a fundamental part of their lives.
And I think it's more of a question of how much we should pander to these fucking idiots. Gavin's said it before, we can't really argue against this sort of thing because in doing so, you're automatically an antisemite or an Islamophobe. But you know, for me, it's fuck all to do with that. My objection to circumcision is because it's generally a completely unnecessary operation that is carried out when any kind of informed consent is impossible. Now, maybe you don't think that sort of thing is wrong, but I do.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:44 am

My main gripe with circumcision is the same as with ear piercing .
You shouldn't inflict either on your child until they are old enough to make an informed choice.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:44 am
My main gripe with circumcision is the same as with ear piercing .
You shouldn't inflict either on your child until they are old enough to make an informed choice.
Well yeah. I mean ear-piercing is another level down from MGM like MGM is from FGM, but it's still unacceptable for a parent to inflict it on their child. But for some reason, some people when they are older choose to have this mental practice inflicted on themselves anyway!

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:53 am

This year's World Matchplay Darts from Blackpool has been nothing short of incredible!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Even if you don't like darts as much as me, there's just been stories to satisfy just about every palate this week. :D :D :D

And tonight, it will culminate in the final between the representatives of Team England at the World Cup that I went to in Hamburg last month, the former World Champion Rob "Voltage" Cross, and the former World Youth Champion Michael "Bully Boy" Smith. 8-) 8-) 8-)
CO:WY COMING SOON.... ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Heads Up.
The Young Offenders Season 2 starts on Monday 11thNovember I'm guessing BBC1
If you can't wait that long it's on the iPlayer from today (3.11.19)