What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 pm

watching Seinfeld yet again...love the first 7 series especially, it did fizzle out a bit when Larry David stopped writing them though.
Favourite episode is either The Contest or The Puffy Shirt
Madly hyped for season 9 of Curb...
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 pm
watching Seinfeld yet again...love the first 7 series especially, it did fizzle out a bit when Larry David stopped writing them though.
I've just started watching Seinfeld. Loving it so far and the first couple of seasons are supposed to be the worst?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 am

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
I've just started watching Seinfeld. Loving it so far and the first couple of seasons are supposed to be the worst?
I started watching this quite recently - I watch a few episodes each time I go round a particular friend's house. I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's not a patch on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 am

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
Its a bit like how The Simpsons developed, the first few seasons were good but looking back it gets better season by season, peaking by season seven although I felt season 4 had some classic episodes in it.

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 am
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
I started watching this quite recently - I watch a few episodes each time I go round a particular friend's house. I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's not a patch on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
I think Curb has more belly laughs as it is made by HBO so there are no restrictions on subject matter and swearing.
I still laugh more at George, now, in Seinfeld as it is clear that Larry David is George

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter

Post by Zarte Siempre » Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Anyone watching The Trial?
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon May 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 pm
Anyone watching The Trial?
Is it a bit like a post watershed Crown Court ?

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Mon May 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Bojack Horseman: Thought the show would suffer when Princess Carolyn binned off Vincent Adultman, but 'Get That Foetus, Kill That Foetus' is an absolute masterpiece. Great theme tune too. Excited for season 4.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Liked it at first but after a series and a half, it was really grating. Such a great idea for a show but undermined by some really poor characters/narrative choices (the shoehorned-in Native American twist is poorly done, the landlady is really irritating, Dong was boring... not the first time I've said that, lolz!!!).

RuPaul's Drag Race (season 9): Started out poorly, has gradually upgraded to awesome.

Meant to watch The West Wing, finish Breaking Bad and rewatch Boston Legal after my exam/CO:LON, but I've just ended up rewatching Archer series 1-3 AGAIN because it's just phenomenal. I kind of hope Netflix removes it (and Arrested Development. and the Electric Shock Showdown episode of Pokémon) from its roster, because I just end up rewatching them all the time instead of watching new things. They're televisual crack :(
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson » Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:51 pm
Boston Legal
You are now officially one of my mum's favourite people. :)

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Mon May 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:51 pm
Boston Legal
You are now officially one of my mum's favourite people. :)
YES!! So much love for Big Jill-Wil (more than I already had) <333
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Tue May 23, 2017 7:57 am

Better Call Saul. Yes it's not as good as Breaking Bad but still amazing.

Latest season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's definitely declined in quality but still one of the best comedies out there.

And just discovered Yes Minister is now on Netflix. Just incredible writing and as relevant as ever.

Was also watching classic They Think It's All Over on youtube. So much better than that stupid Corden vehicle on Sky. Especially before Lee Hurst left. The school sports day special is a personal highlight. Gary Lineker breaks the world record for egg catching but then gets banned for four years from obstacle races for blatant cheating. And of course the three legged race which last time was won by Linford Christie, on his own. Plus Rory McGrath passes the random drug test. He picked samples A and C. Quality.

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am

Just watched the first two episodes of American Gods.
Utter Suite

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Project Runway: Season 7 had some great clothes and eased me into the show, but Season 8 is so much better so far - better editing, more interesting designers, more drama. Don't particularly care for any of the judges although the criticisms can be glorious, but Tim Gunn is wonderful and I'd love him to follow me around and mentor my life <3 It's really exciting to watch beautiful, well-made pieces being created from scratch in such a short space of time.

Orange Is The New Black season 5: Started out exciting, dragged in the middle, got exciting again (in parts) at the end. But you have to totally suspend your disbelief, most of the comedy fell flat, and the series was stretched too thin by focusing on too many characters (ughhh, I don't care about Piper and Alex and the meth-heads). Interesting concept though.

Fargo season 3: Didn't care for the first few episodes, not been bothered to watch the whole series yet. Anyone else watched it? Does it pick up and become as good as previous series?

The Handmaid's Tale: After watching 6 episodes, I feel like a 10-episode series is unwieldy, but the first half of the series is really good/emosh. The end of the third episode was... memorable :shock:

Breaking Bad: Halfway through season 4, I'm amazed that so many people were able to binge-watch this... I find it so heavy and stressful that I can only watch it in a certain mood (not watched any for about a month now). It is good and I really enjoy it/am gripped sometimes, but the constant suspense can be a bit draining, and Walt's constant cuntiness can be boring.

Hyped for the new seasons of Bojack Horseman (8th Sept) and Stranger Things (Oct 27th).

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:46 pm
Project Runway: Season 7 had some great clothes and eased me into the show, but Season 8 is so much better so far - better editing, more interesting designers, more drama. Don't particularly care for any of the judges although the criticisms can be glorious, but Tim Gunn is wonderful and I'd love him to follow me around and mentor my life <3 It's really exciting to watch beautiful, well-made pieces being created from scratch in such a short space of time.
I've no idea what this programme is, but it sounds awful.

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:51 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
I've no idea what this programme is, but it sounds awful.
Your opinion on what makes good TV means such a lot to me, Mr Formula 1 Fan.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Catastrophe is excellent.
Cuckoo turned out to be surprisingly good, classic British sitcom sort of thing.

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote:

Breaking Bad: Halfway through season 4, I'm amazed that so many people were able to binge-watch this... I find it so heavy and stressful that I can only watch it in a certain mood (not watched any for about a month now). It is good and I really enjoy it/am gripped sometimes, but the constant suspense can be a bit draining, and Walt's constant cuntiness can be boring.
I recently watched the whole thing again in a couple of days. Even knowing what happens it still grips me and I can't not watch it.

Can't think of much else I've been watching. I enjoyed the star six football tournament. Other than football and the odd quiz show regular tv doesn't get a look in. Youtube is still where it's at for me.

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:55 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote:

Orange Is The New Black season 5: Started out exciting, dragged in the middle, got exciting again (in parts) at the end. But you have to totally suspend your disbelief, most of the comedy fell flat, and the series was stretched too thin by focusing on too many characters (ughhh, I don't care about Piper and Alex and the meth-heads). Interesting concept though.

Fargo season 3: Didn't care for the first few episodes, not been bothered to watch the whole series yet. Anyone else watched it? Does it pick up and become as good as previous series?

The Handmaid's Tale: After watching 6 episodes, I feel like a 10-episode series is unwieldy, but the first half of the series is really good/emosh. The end of the third episode was... memorable :shock:

Hyped for the new seasons of Bojack Horseman (8th Sept) and Stranger Things (Oct 27th).
Stick with Fargo, not quite as good as the last season but a very good denouement none the less and great performances from Carrie Coon and David Thewlis....and of course the return of Wrench

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Still haven't finished Fargo, Handmaid's Tale or Breaking Bad yet. Just cba really.

Bojack Horseman season 4: Objectively 'good'... deals with dementia, mental illness and miscarriages in a heartbreakingly, bitterly real way. Some really cool ways of setting up the episodes (the penultimate episode, the Princess Carolyn episode). Subjectively, though, I didn't find it very enjoyable. Not enough of the clever black humour that balances it out and stops it being too mawkish, too much dumb humour. Found it kind of weird how the Mr Peanut-Butter For Governor storyline just fizzled out 2/3rds of the way through the season to be followed up by a pointless and irritating storyline with him and Todd being idiots. But I'm kind of done with shows shoehorning Trump references/storylines into their plots. He's omnipresent in news and culture as it is, I want some escapism please :') I seem to be the only person who didn't love the series to bits though, so, meh.

Pretty Little Liars, seasons 1-3: Pure trash, a ridiculous amount of drama, completely divorced from the slightest semblance of reality and virtually all the characters are idiots who make their own lives hell, and one of the main 4 characters is MADDENING (although not as bad as the UTTERLY HEINOUS character whose death is the main plot point of the series), but I NEED the answers. Reddit episode discussions from when the show was being broadcast make a great accompaniment to my viewing experience (it's good to know that I'm not the only one who finds the teacher/student relationship completely gross and moronic). Spencer's style choices in these series give me life.

Great British Bake Off: All my faves are dropping like flies now, and it's not been as engrossing as some of the other series - plus there's no Nadiya-esque contestant to 100% root for - but it's been reassuringly better than I thought it would be.

The Apprentice: Honestly, it could be so bad it's actually bad and I'd probably still get a TV wide-on for it.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Just finished watching the first (only?) series of Back - the new Mitchell and Webb series. I quite enjoyed it. It's on All 4 (Channel 4 catch-up) if you want to watch it.

Also I've been watching Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams. Hit and miss. Some better than others.

And the new series of The Crystal Maze. I like The Crystal Maze and always have done, but why has no-one ever noticed that the Crystal Dome bit is just about the shittest, most anti-climactic ending of any gameshow ever? I know people don't like their favourite TV shows being messed with, but replacing something that is little more than us just being told whether they've won or not with something we can actually watch and follow would probably be an exception to this rule.

The way it is now, they might as well just end the show with the final crystal-getting game, and then when it's time for the credits, it just flashes up on the screen "The team collected 93 gold tokens and 32 silver tokens, making a total of 61, meaning that they won the middling prize of a visit to their local HSBC bank branch." You know, in the same way that you often get a bit of text at the end of a programme saying what happened to the people afterwards.

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:38 am

I think it looked dated in the nineties, only Richard O'Briens charisma made it watchable.
It just looks like a gameshow made by six formers.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 am

Just finished season 4 of the Blacklist and got the spin-off (Blacklist: Redemeption, or 'TomList' as it's become known in my house) on my shelf ready for when we finish our Elementary season 5 box set. Also watching the new series of Red Dwarf, and actually enjoying Star Trek Discovery on Netflix.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Oh yes, watching Red Dwarf as well.

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Watching the Orville, a cross between Star Trek and Galaxy Quest, not too bad so far. More of a homage than a piss take