Word Puzzle

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ben Wilson
Legend

Word Puzzle

Post by Ben Wilson »

Spot the common rule/pattern.

EBB
CAGE
DICED
LACKED
CARNAGE
COMEDIAN
COWARDICE
DISCIPLINE
ANTIBIOTICS

No clues. :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Word Puzzle

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I assume you want answers via PM?

I will PM you mine, of which I am very confident is correct :D
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mr. Bolas has got the answer but if anyone else wants to have a crack at it they're more than welcome. :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:Mr. Bolas has got the answer but if anyone else wants to have a crack at it they're more than welcome. :)
Thank you for the puzzle Ben :D

It is quite a fun puzzle to solve :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Wilson wrote:Mr. Bolas has got the answer but if anyone else wants to have a crack at it they're more than welcome. :)
To what, pester him until he gives us the answer? OK, I'll give it a go.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
To what, pester him until he gives us the answer? OK, I'll give it a go.
I'm sure a champ, like yourself Kai, can solve this without hints :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I noticed that each word has 1 more letter than the one above it. :D
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I noticed that each word has 1 more letter than the one above it. :D
That's not an entirely useless piece of information... ;)
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Hmm... I thought I saw a common rule... And then I realized COMEDIAN would be an exception to that rule...

Back to the drawing board. :)
Frank
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:I noticed that each word has 1 more letter than the one above it. :D
That's not an entirely useless piece of information... ;)
I certainly guessed that number of letters was significant. I'm now going to take those words with me for a couple of nights in the Lake District, and ponder over them. :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Sussed it :P
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Howard Somerset wrote:I certainly guessed that number of letters was significant. I'm now going to take those words with me for a couple of nights in the Lake District, and ponder over them. :)
Got it during a short break on the drive up to the Lakes on Monday. :P So not having that to do during the following couple of nights, instead I tried in vain to find a word which might follow ANTIBIOTICS.

PMming my solution to Ben.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I think I can reveal the answer now, which Joseph, Dinos and Howard all got- converting the letters into numbers e.g. A=1, B=2... Z=26, the sum of the letters in each word is the square of the letters in the word. e.g. E+B+B=5+2+2=9=3^2.

I don't know if there are any 12-letter examples of this but there are certainly 3 more with 11 letters in. Open-ended puzzle time, anyone? :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote:I think I can reveal the answer now, which Joseph, Dinos and Howard all got- converting the letters into numbers e.g. A=1, B=2... Z=26, the sum of the letters in each word is the square of the letters in the word. e.g. E+B+B=5+2+2=9=3^2.

I don't know if there are any 12-letter examples of this but there are certainly 3 more with 11 letters in. Open-ended puzzle time, anyone? :)
Awesome. Love it.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Very good puzzle. The thing that helped me solve it was noticing that there was a preponderance of letters from the early part of the alphabet, and then trying to work whether or not that was significant.

What a shame that, with A being valid as a one letter word, there is no 2 letter word that fits.

Loved it, Ben.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Rats, I came so close to working out the letter values like that, and then got distracted by something shiny and never went back to it. Arse. Nice puzzle, Ben.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:I don't know if there are any 12-letter examples of this but there are certainly 3 more with 11 letters in. Open-ended puzzle time, anyone? :)
It's taken me a while, but if you were to use the English CSW list, that is included in Zyzzyva, there are a total of 376 words that are 12 letters in length and total 144 :D

The first alphabetically is ACCULTURATES and the last is WORKABLENESS :D
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:I don't know if there are any 12-letter examples of this but there are certainly 3 more with 11 letters in. Open-ended puzzle time, anyone? :)
It's taken me a while, but if you were to use the English CSW list, that is included in Zyzzyva, there are a total of 376 words that are 12 letters in length and total 144 :D

In some ways I don't want to know how you worked that out, and yet in others, I do... care to work on the 13s now? ;-)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:It's taken me a while, but if you were to use the English CSW list alone, that is included in Zyzzyva, there are a total of 376 words that are 12 letters in length and total 144 :D

In some ways I don't want to know how you worked that out, and yet in others, I do... care to work on the 13s now? ;-)
Going by the same English CSW word list in Zyzzyva alone, there are a total of 249 words that are 13 letters in length and total 169 :D. The first alphabetically is ACOTYLEDONOUS and the last is YELLOWHAMMERS :D

Just to also add to this, using the same list alone, there are a total of 77 words that are 14 letters in length and total 196 :D, starting with ADVENTITIOUSLY and ending with WORDLESSNESSES.

There are also a total of 10 words that are 15 letters in length and total 225 :D and they are as follows:

FRUCTUOUSNESSES
NONPRODUCTIVITY
NORTHWESTWARDLY
PHOTOTYPOGRAPHY
PHOTOXYLOGRAPHY
PROPYLITIZATION
SUPERSYMMETRIES
TREMULOUSNESSES
ULTRASTRUCTURAL
UNPROGRESSIVELY
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:It's taken me a while, but if you were to use the English CSW list alone, that is included in Zyzzyva, there are a total of 376 words that are 12 letters in length and total 144 :D

Going by the same English CSW word list in Zyzzyva alone, there are a total of 249 words that are 13 letters in length and total 169 :D. The first alphabetically is ACOTYLEDONOUS and the last is YELLOWHAMMERS :D

Just to also add to this, using the same list alone, there are a total of 77 words that are 14 letters in length and total 196 :D, starting with ADVENTITIOUSLY and ending with WORDLESSNESSES.

There are also a total of 10 words that are 15 letters in length and total 225 :D and they are as follows:

FRUCTUOUSNESSES
NONPRODUCTIVITY
NORTHWESTWARDLY
PHOTOTYPOGRAPHY
PHOTOXYLOGRAPHY
PROPYLITIZATION
SUPERSYMMETRIES
TREMULOUSNESSES
ULTRASTRUCTURAL
UNPROGRESSIVELY
Next time you're on msn I'll send you my list of 'extended' csw words (16s and over) :p