People you shouldn't trust

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Martin Hurst »

People with personalised number plates. All of them are PEN15's.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Mark Deeks wrote:People who, after racking up a game of pool and lifting the black up to see where the spot is, spin it on the spot when putting it back. Barbaric behaviour.
I do this. It's going to be an awkward pool session at the Fox and Hounds in January.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

People who think the week starts on Sunday.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Graeme Cole wrote:People who think the week starts on Sunday.
Or any other day except for Monday. Uni starts the week on Thursday for some reason.
cheers maus
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Another of Gevin's legendary sexual moves revealed.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:People who, after racking up a game of pool and lifting the black up to see where the spot is, spin it on the spot when putting it back. Barbaric behaviour.
I do this. It's going to be an awkward pool session at the Fox and Hounds in January.
I love you for your faults. You might not be perfect, but you're perfect for me.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Thomas Carey wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:People who think the week starts on Sunday.
Or any other day except for Monday. Uni starts the week on Thursday for some reason.
Sunday's weird. Saturday's fine though, because that's when the TV listings start.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote:
Must admit I do this but I agree with you. It's a force of habit at this stage but I must try and stop. Strange that I don't do it for 9 Ball though.
I don't always do it but - having taken a long hard look at myself - I probably still do it most of the time. So fucking what?
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

People who claim they've been bullied when they are the bully.
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't think weeks objectively start on any day, because they just cycle through independently of anything else. For example, years start in January because that's when the year changes to the next number up. (Although even then, you still have school years, tax years etc. that start at different times.) Days start at midnight because that's when the day changes. But weeks aren't numbered and don't have anything "above" them that they have to fit into. Well, some people might use some week-counting system, but it's certainly not the standard method.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Weeks start on sunday in retail.
Most Calendars start on Monday admitedly.
Weekly paid people would say the week ends on payday.
There should be some structure to the week for the sake of continuity.
You also have the calendar year/ tax year / holiday year variation too.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

JimBentley wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Must admit I do this but I agree with you. It's a force of habit at this stage but I must try and stop. Strange that I don't do it for 9 Ball though.
I don't always do it but - having taken a long hard look at myself - I probably still do it most of the time. So fucking what?
I'm not being entirely serious about it being that much of a problem. Although you don't want the ball to be still be spinning when the break is made or it could affect the break.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote:Weeks start on sunday in retail.
Most Calendars start on Monday admitedly.
Weekly paid people would say the week ends on payday.
There should be some structure to the week for the sake of continuity.
You also have the calendar year/ tax year / holiday year variation too.
People who can't do limericks.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote:I'm not being entirely serious about it being that much of a problem. Although you don't want the ball to be still be spinning when the break is made or it could affect the break.
Fortunately the pool tables I generally play on have had a long history of having booze spilled on them, so this is not usually an issue. Although relatedly, I'd quite like to play a game of pool on a surface like a table tennis table (where black-spinning could certainly be problematic) just because it would be quite insane with the balls just carrying on rolling for ages. Anything less than five or six off the break would be a bit of a failure.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What could it do to the break that's so bad? I'm not getting this.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:What could it do to the break that's so bad? I'm not getting this.
It would give the black unwanted spin and that could be a big deal on the new table tennis pool table that I just invented. Quite simple really.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Oh, another - people who call Crossrail the Elizabeth Line

Robins Till I Die
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote:What could it do to the break that's so bad? I'm not getting this.
It's nothing so bad. It could just affect the natural trajectory of the balls. The effect would only be minuscule but there nonetheless and you (some people) want breaks to be as fair possible.

It's sort of like the same reason why there's a set way to place the balls in the triangle. It's to make sure that if balls are potted off the break there's less chance of a disproportionate amount of one colour being potted thus giving a bigger advantage to the breaker.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

People who don't wash their hands after going to the loo. I also find it weird when people go for the soap before the water (i.e., with still-dry hands) but I wouldn't go so far as to deem these people untrustworthy.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote:
It's nothing so bad. It could just affect the natural trajectory of the balls. The effect would only be minuscule but there nonetheless and you (some people) want breaks to be as fair possible.

It's sort of like the same reason why there's a set way to place the balls in the triangle. It's to make sure that if balls are potted off the break there's less chance of a disproportionate amount of one colour being potted thus giving a bigger advantage to the breaker.
It is an illegal shot to hit the cue ball whilst any balls are still moving on the table
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Horse people generally, but specifically when they're riding their horses out in public. Basically if you're on a horse in a public place where there might be pedestrians, cyclists, or even motorists, you're being anti-social. But they also have this sense of entitlement like they own the road/footpath etc. I mean, I quite understand that you should go out of your way not to startle horses. It can be dangerous and it's also unfair on the horse. But because of this, the riders of the horses are able to hide behind this in full knowledge that they can be as anti-social as they like because people can't do anything about it because of the horses involved.

I was out on a run today down my local disused rail track, which has now become a public right of way for pedestrians, cyclists and (unfortunately) horses. I found myself behind three horses with anti-social riders. What did I do? What was I supposed to do? I ran past them of course, but trying to keep as far over to the side as possible, which was the only reasonable course of action. One of the women on one of the horses said something along the lines of "running fast...startles the horses". Well, I wasn't running particularly fast. When motorists slow down massively to go past horses, they're still probably going faster than someone running, and they're in a massive metal box! Also, I had to run at some sort of speed to get past the horses and not have to remain alongside them for years. And three horses together is pretty anti-social. They weren't doing the ultimate anti-social thing of riding alongside each other, but they weren't sticking to one side of the path either, so it was awkward for me to pick a side to run past them on.
Heather Styles
Rookie

Post by Heather Styles »

I wonder what the horsey person would say to a runner who was, say, dressed up as a car? Would she then say that they were not allowed to move as quickly as a slow-moving car near her horse because they looked like a car but were not actually in a car? I have a feeling she might say that, because she sounds like that sort of person.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

People who are talking on their phones whilst paying for their goods at a till/checkout.
Although as a cashier it is particularly annoying.
I feel like saying " I know your call is important so I wont serve you until you have finished "
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Marc Meakin wrote:People who are talking on their phones whilst paying for their goods at a till/checkout.
I feel like saying " I know your call is important so I wont serve you until you have finished "
I had a cracking one of these a few months ago - the woman on the phone kept shouting into the phone about what a bitch her mother was and how she wasn't wearing any underwear. She was quite rude to me (even beyond the usual 'being on the phone' rudeness) but it was such an entertaining conversation to eavesdrop that I let it slide.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

People who still have their paper tax disc on display in their car, despite the need to do this ending long ago, and all paper tax discs have long expired anyway......!
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

People who sit in a bay of 4 or 6 on a train, despite only being one person. Can allow it if the train is almost empty but otherwise (i.e. if groups can't sit together) it's incredibly twattish.
cheers maus
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:People who are talking on their phones whilst paying for their goods at a till/checkout.
I had a cracking one of these a few months ago - the woman on the phone kept shouting into the phone about what a bitch her mother was and how she wasn't wearing any underwear. She was quite rude to me (even beyond the usual 'being on the phone' rudeness) but it was such an entertaining conversation to eavesdrop that I let it slide.
We need to know.... was it the phone user who was not wearing underwear or her mother?
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Horse people generally
Bit harsh on Bojack
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who don't make sure that crisp packets are the right way up when they open them.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who don't make sure that crisp packets are the right way up when they open them.
Most crisp packets are now made in such a way that it doesn't matter. I remember a time when this wasn't the case and trying to open them from the bottom (oo-er missus) would normally result in the packet tearing diagonally from one corner down to the middle, spilling crisps all over the place.

Unless you just mean that it offends your sensibilities, in that aesthetically it is less pleasing?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:Unless you just mean that it offends your sensibilities, in that aesthetically it is less pleasing?
Yeah, this.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Unless you just mean that it offends your sensibilities, in that aesthetically it is less pleasing?
Yeah, this.
Not strictly related, but there really needs to be a thread devoted to crisps on here. Favourite crisps, crisps that used to exist but don't any more, unusually-flavoured crisps, posh crisps, cheap crisps, whether maize and corn snacks count as crisps, the blatant disregard that Walkers have for the traditional colours of crisp packets...I could go on. You're the Threadstarter General, I demand action RIGHT NOW.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Yeah, this.
Not strictly related, but there really needs to be a thread devoted to crisps on here. Favourite crisps, crisps that used to exist but don't any more, unusually-flavoured crisps, posh crisps, cheap crisps, whether maize and corn snacks count as crisps, the blatant disregard that Walkers have for the traditional colours of crisp packets...I could go on. You're the Threadstarter General, I demand action RIGHT NOW.
Are you Marc Meakin or something?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Are you Marc Meakin or something?
Eh? You've started two threads just tonight, I haven't started any (yet). In any case, Marc is a reformed man, his contributions since his thread-starting ban have been interesting and relevant in the main. But if it goes some way towards making you feel better, I'll do the crisps one.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

People who argue about people you can't trust

Robins Till I Die
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Eh? You've started two threads just tonight, I haven't started any (yet). In any case, Marc is a reformed man, his contributions since his thread-starting ban have been interesting and relevant in the main. But if it goes some way towards making you feel better, I'll do the crisps one.
It's probably best now because I'm locked into an X-Files double bill on Spike.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote:
Thanks Jim
In anticipation of the crisp thread here are my favourite defunct Crisps
1. Bovril
2. Cheese and tomato puffs, possibly the messiest crisps ever
3. Scampi nick nacks
4. Ranchero's..
5.cheese and onion Ringo's
6.Burton's chicken fingers....Not strictly crisps but lovely all the same
7. Oriental quavers
8.piglets
9. Tomato sauce flavour
10.beef wotsits.....Though maybe they still exist
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

sean d wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:I had a cracking one of these a few months ago - the woman on the phone kept shouting into the phone about what a bitch her mother was and how she wasn't wearing any underwear. She was quite rude to me (even beyond the usual 'being on the phone' rudeness) but it was such an entertaining conversation to eavesdrop that I let it slide.
We need to know.... was it the phone user who was not wearing underwear or her mother?
Phone user! She bought underwear from me. If she hadn't been rude/caught up in her phone conversation, I might have pointed her towards the nice clean toilets across the shop floor so she could have got changed there, but she stomped off downstairs after making her purchase (hopefully towards the revolting public toilets in the car park nearby).
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who spell "poo" with an "h" on the end when they're talking about shit.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who hold in farts.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I don't think I've ever heard you fart Gevin.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:I don't think I've ever heard you fart Gevin.
Good. It's generally quite easy to let out a fart quietly though.

I'm going add people that think holding in a fart is even a thing. Is it even doable? It's never occurred to me to try. Because I'm not a fucking maniac.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Yes you can. I have been on a date where I had terrible wind and had to hold one in for an hour.
Then later on when she came back to mine, she let out an enormous trump in the bathroom.
It was open season after that.
End of anecode .
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm trying to think of anyone I've ever heard fart at a Countdown event. I'm not sure there are any examples, yet I've definitely smelt some absolutely rotten things at Colin for sure.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I thought I might have posted on this already, but a quick search didn't yield anything:

People who care just a bit too much when a celebrity dies. You know the outpouring of grief from hundreds of people on Facebook etc. when someone famous dies. And people who seem to judge the quality of the year on how many celebrities have died. "2016 is a really shit year" etc.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

This is because we are a global village
Information is so readily available so the outpouring would be akin to your local chip shop owner dying in your village.
This coupled with the perfect storm of aged rock and rollers and actors , or just ones who have taken all the drugs and booze, this shortening their lives (George Michael and Carrie fisher to name but two ).
Plus lots of TV personalities big in the sixties and seventies are now of a certain age.
I predict the next few years to yield more and more deaths.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm going add people that think holding in a fart is even a thing. Is it even doable? It's never occurred to me to try. Because I'm not a fucking maniac.
Not sure if I trust you less for the fact that you claim you've never had to hold one in (genuinely unbelievable) or of the fact that, if somehow you are telling the truth, you just walk around farting with free abandon.
Heather Styles
Rookie

Post by Heather Styles »

I agree about the global village phenomenon, but it does not account for why many people have blamed this year because an unusually high number of above averagely well-known people have died during it. But is the "F*** 2016" phenomenon just superstitious nonsense, or is it saying something deeper about our society? Could some people also be lamenting, say, Trump's election or the UK's planned (or more to the point, hardly planned at all) exit from the EU?
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

People who prefer the Lemon flavoured lemsip over the Blackcurrant (I don't care about the fact it has LEM in the name before someone tries to argue that fact)
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I go for the lemon because it tastes disgusting.
My rule of thumb for pharmacy bought medicines is the more disgusting it takes the more effective it is.
TCP being an obvious one
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What about people who bother with Lemsip in the first place?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm going add people that think holding in a fart is even a thing. Is it even doable? It's never occurred to me to try. Because I'm not a fucking maniac.
Not sure if I trust you less for the fact that you claim you've never had to hold one in (genuinely unbelievable) or of the fact that, if somehow you are telling the truth, you just walk around farting with free abandon.
Under what circumstances would you hold one in?

Maybe if I'm feeling a bit dodgy, I will try not to let anything escape, but that's more a case of holding in watery shit than a fart per se.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Under what circumstances would you hold one in?

Maybe if I'm feeling a bit dodgy, I will try not to let anything escape, but that's more a case of holding in watery shit than a fart per se.
All circumstances where I'm around people?! I actually can't fathom just pandering to my bowels whenever I fancy it. It's anti-social and unpleasant for other people, especially in confined spaces or in a work environment. There's a woman who comes into my workplace every Friday and is renowned for absolutely reeking of piss; the places you frequent probably have you similarly marked as 'the guy who's always farting'. And you're a vegetarian too so I can't even imagine how stinky that would be. Is this why you got made redundant? (Too far?)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jen Steadman wrote:All circumstances where I'm around people?! I actually can't fathom just pandering to my bowels whenever I fancy it. It's anti-social and unpleasant for other people, especially in confined spaces or in a work environment. There's a woman who comes into my workplace every Friday and is renowned for absolutely reeking of piss; the places you frequent probably have you similarly marked as 'the guy who's always farting'. And you're a vegetarian too so I can't even imagine how stinky that would be. Is this why you got made redundant? (Too far?)
My farts aren't generally that smelly. I think the vegetarian thing is a myth. And before you say it, so is the thing about not being able to smell your own farts.

I imagine it must be really uncomfortable holding in your farts. Also I can't imagine they are all hold-in-able anyway.

People fart in public all the time. Most farts aren't that smelly so you wouldn't be aware of it. Some people hold them in thinking it's the thing to do when other people are letting out silent non-smelly farts whenever they need to.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:My farts aren't generally that smelly. I think the vegetarian thing is a myth. And before you say it, so is the thing about not being able to smell your own farts.

I imagine it must be really uncomfortable holding in your farts. Also I can't imagine they are all hold-in-able anyway.

People fart in public all the time. Most farts aren't that smelly so you wouldn't be aware of it. Some people hold them in thinking it's the thing to do when other people are letting out silent non-smelly farts whenever they need to.
Maybe you don't have a sense of smell.
Heather Styles
Rookie

Post by Heather Styles »

People who, when asked to rate something on a scale of 1 to 10, say any number smaller than 1 or bigger than 10. The scale is 1 to 10. It's not difficult. You can even use your fingers. Relatedly, people who promise to put in 110% effort.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

So the mystery of those people who can't or won't hold in a fart versus those (most ) who can.
Is that the riddle of the sphincter :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Heather Styles wrote:People who, when asked to rate something on a scale of 1 to 10, say any number smaller than 1 or bigger than 10. The scale is 1 to 10. It's not difficult. You can even use your fingers. Relatedly, people who promise to put in 110% effort.
But what about people who ask you to use a scale from 1 to 10 in the first place?
Heather Styles
Rookie

Post by Heather Styles »

Oh yes, I had a feeling the trustworthiness of the 1 to 10 scale had been discussed before here. I can't say I much mind it, but I agree that it does lead to an erroneous tendency to think of 5 as the mid point. I actually had to check using my fingers to confirm that 5 is not the mid point. Another problem with it is lack of objectivity. When I had appendicitis and was taken to hospital, a doctor asked me how bad the pain was on a scale of 1 to 10, and I asked what levels of pain 1 and 10 represented and he said if you're asking that kind of question you can't be in very much pain so I said 3 or something just to get rid of him.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Heather Styles wrote:Oh yes, I had a feeling the trustworthiness of the 1 to 10 scale had been discussed before here. I can't say I much mind it, but I agree that it does lead to an erroneous tendency to think of 5 as the mid point. I actually had to check using my fingers to confirm that 5 is not the mid point. Another problem with it is lack of objectivity. When I had appendicitis and was taken to hospital, a doctor asked me how bad the pain was on a scale of 1 to 10, and I asked what levels of pain 1 and 10 represented and he said if you're asking that kind of question you can't be in very much pain so I said 3 or something just to get rid of him.
I get your point here. Someone could experience some amount of pain that most people never do, so that would forever more affect their scale. They might hear other people saying that they are in level 10 of pain and quietly chuckle to themselves, knowing it would only be a 2 on their scale.