People you shouldn't trust

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Martin Hurst
Rookie
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Martin Hurst » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:20 pm

People with personalised number plates. All of them are PEN15's.

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1475
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Graeme Cole » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:03 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:People who, after racking up a game of pool and lifting the black up to see where the spot is, spin it on the spot when putting it back. Barbaric behaviour.
I do this. It's going to be an awkward pool session at the Fox and Hounds in January.

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1475
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Graeme Cole » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:05 pm

People who think the week starts on Sunday.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Thomas Carey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:People who think the week starts on Sunday.
Or any other day except for Monday. Uni starts the week on Thursday for some reason.
signature

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7233
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Another of Gevin's legendary sexual moves revealed.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1670
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark Deeks » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:20 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:People who, after racking up a game of pool and lifting the black up to see where the spot is, spin it on the spot when putting it back. Barbaric behaviour.
I do this. It's going to be an awkward pool session at the Fox and Hounds in January.
I love you for your faults. You might not be perfect, but you're perfect for me.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Zarte Siempre » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:People who think the week starts on Sunday.
Or any other day except for Monday. Uni starts the week on Thursday for some reason.
Sunday's weird. Saturday's fine though, because that's when the TV listings start.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2608
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:26 am

Mark James wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:People who, after racking up a game of pool and lifting the black up to see where the spot is, spin it on the spot when putting it back. Barbaric behaviour.
Must admit I do this but I agree with you. It's a force of habit at this stage but I must try and stop. Strange that I don't do it for 9 Ball though.
I don't always do it but - having taken a long hard look at myself - I probably still do it most of the time. So fucking what?

User avatar
Euan Slatter
Acolyte
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: Portishead, NORTH SOMERSET

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Euan Slatter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:23 am

People who claim they've been bullied when they are the bully.
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:06 pm

I don't think weeks objectively start on any day, because they just cycle through independently of anything else. For example, years start in January because that's when the year changes to the next number up. (Although even then, you still have school years, tax years etc. that start at different times.) Days start at midnight because that's when the day changes. But weeks aren't numbered and don't have anything "above" them that they have to fit into. Well, some people might use some week-counting system, but it's certainly not the standard method.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:39 pm

Weeks start on sunday in retail.
Most Calendars start on Monday admitedly.
Weekly paid people would say the week ends on payday.
There should be some structure to the week for the sake of continuity.
You also have the calendar year/ tax year / holiday year variation too.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark James » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:45 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:People who, after racking up a game of pool and lifting the black up to see where the spot is, spin it on the spot when putting it back. Barbaric behaviour.
Must admit I do this but I agree with you. It's a force of habit at this stage but I must try and stop. Strange that I don't do it for 9 Ball though.
I don't always do it but - having taken a long hard look at myself - I probably still do it most of the time. So fucking what?
I'm not being entirely serious about it being that much of a problem. Although you don't want the ball to be still be spinning when the break is made or it could affect the break.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:52 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:Weeks start on sunday in retail.
Most Calendars start on Monday admitedly.
Weekly paid people would say the week ends on payday.
There should be some structure to the week for the sake of continuity.
You also have the calendar year/ tax year / holiday year variation too.
People who can't do limericks.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2608
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Mark James wrote:I'm not being entirely serious about it being that much of a problem. Although you don't want the ball to be still be spinning when the break is made or it could affect the break.
Fortunately the pool tables I generally play on have had a long history of having booze spilled on them, so this is not usually an issue. Although relatedly, I'd quite like to play a game of pool on a surface like a table tennis table (where black-spinning could certainly be problematic) just because it would be quite insane with the balls just carrying on rolling for ages. Anything less than five or six off the break would be a bit of a failure.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:14 pm

What could it do to the break that's so bad? I'm not getting this.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2608
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:30 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:What could it do to the break that's so bad? I'm not getting this.
It would give the black unwanted spin and that could be a big deal on the new table tennis pool table that I just invented. Quite simple really.

User avatar
Euan Slatter
Acolyte
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: Portishead, NORTH SOMERSET

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Euan Slatter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:46 am

Oh, another - people who call Crossrail the Elizabeth Line
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Mark James » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:What could it do to the break that's so bad? I'm not getting this.
It's nothing so bad. It could just affect the natural trajectory of the balls. The effect would only be minuscule but there nonetheless and you (some people) want breaks to be as fair possible.

It's sort of like the same reason why there's a set way to place the balls in the triangle. It's to make sure that if balls are potted off the break there's less chance of a disproportionate amount of one colour being potted thus giving a bigger advantage to the breaker.

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1607
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Adam Gillard » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:28 am

People who don't wash their hands after going to the loo. I also find it weird when people go for the soap before the water (i.e., with still-dry hands) but I wouldn't go so far as to deem these people untrustworthy.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Mark James wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:What could it do to the break that's so bad? I'm not getting this.
It's nothing so bad. It could just affect the natural trajectory of the balls. The effect would only be minuscule but there nonetheless and you (some people) want breaks to be as fair possible.

It's sort of like the same reason why there's a set way to place the balls in the triangle. It's to make sure that if balls are potted off the break there's less chance of a disproportionate amount of one colour being potted thus giving a bigger advantage to the breaker.
It is an illegal shot to hit the cue ball whilst any balls are still moving on the table
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Horse people generally, but specifically when they're riding their horses out in public. Basically if you're on a horse in a public place where there might be pedestrians, cyclists, or even motorists, you're being anti-social. But they also have this sense of entitlement like they own the road/footpath etc. I mean, I quite understand that you should go out of your way not to startle horses. It can be dangerous and it's also unfair on the horse. But because of this, the riders of the horses are able to hide behind this in full knowledge that they can be as anti-social as they like because people can't do anything about it because of the horses involved.

I was out on a run today down my local disused rail track, which has now become a public right of way for pedestrians, cyclists and (unfortunately) horses. I found myself behind three horses with anti-social riders. What did I do? What was I supposed to do? I ran past them of course, but trying to keep as far over to the side as possible, which was the only reasonable course of action. One of the women on one of the horses said something along the lines of "running fast...startles the horses". Well, I wasn't running particularly fast. When motorists slow down massively to go past horses, they're still probably going faster than someone running, and they're in a massive metal box! Also, I had to run at some sort of speed to get past the horses and not have to remain alongside them for years. And three horses together is pretty anti-social. They weren't doing the ultimate anti-social thing of riding alongside each other, but they weren't sticking to one side of the path either, so it was awkward for me to pick a side to run past them on.

Heather Styles
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Heather Styles » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:09 pm

I wonder what the horsey person would say to a runner who was, say, dressed up as a car? Would she then say that they were not allowed to move as quickly as a slow-moving car near her horse because they looked like a car but were not actually in a car? I have a feeling she might say that, because she sounds like that sort of person.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:08 pm

People who are talking on their phones whilst paying for their goods at a till/checkout.
Although as a cashier it is particularly annoying.
I feel like saying " I know your call is important so I wont serve you until you have finished "
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:35 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:People who are talking on their phones whilst paying for their goods at a till/checkout.
Although as a cashier it is particularly annoying.
I feel like saying " I know your call is important so I wont serve you until you have finished "
I had a cracking one of these a few months ago - the woman on the phone kept shouting into the phone about what a bitch her mother was and how she wasn't wearing any underwear. She was quite rude to me (even beyond the usual 'being on the phone' rudeness) but it was such an entertaining conversation to eavesdrop that I let it slide.
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Martin Hurst
Rookie
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Martin Hurst » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:43 pm

People who still have their paper tax disc on display in their car, despite the need to do this ending long ago, and all paper tax discs have long expired anyway......!

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Thomas Carey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:59 pm

People who sit in a bay of 4 or 6 on a train, despite only being one person. Can allow it if the train is almost empty but otherwise (i.e. if groups can't sit together) it's incredibly twattish.
signature

sean d
Acolyte
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by sean d » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:29 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:People who are talking on their phones whilst paying for their goods at a till/checkout.
Although as a cashier it is particularly annoying.
I feel like saying " I know your call is important so I wont serve you until you have finished "
I had a cracking one of these a few months ago - the woman on the phone kept shouting into the phone about what a bitch her mother was and how she wasn't wearing any underwear. She was quite rude to me (even beyond the usual 'being on the phone' rudeness) but it was such an entertaining conversation to eavesdrop that I let it slide.
We need to know.... was it the phone user who was not wearing underwear or her mother?

User avatar
James Laverty
Enthusiast
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm
Location: West Bridgford

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by James Laverty » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:Horse people generally
Bit harsh on Bojack
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:25 pm

People who don't make sure that crisp packets are the right way up when they open them.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2608
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who don't make sure that crisp packets are the right way up when they open them.
Most crisp packets are now made in such a way that it doesn't matter. I remember a time when this wasn't the case and trying to open them from the bottom (oo-er missus) would normally result in the packet tearing diagonally from one corner down to the middle, spilling crisps all over the place.

Unless you just mean that it offends your sensibilities, in that aesthetically it is less pleasing?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:32 pm

JimBentley wrote:Unless you just mean that it offends your sensibilities, in that aesthetically it is less pleasing?
Yeah, this.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2608
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Unless you just mean that it offends your sensibilities, in that aesthetically it is less pleasing?
Yeah, this.
Not strictly related, but there really needs to be a thread devoted to crisps on here. Favourite crisps, crisps that used to exist but don't any more, unusually-flavoured crisps, posh crisps, cheap crisps, whether maize and corn snacks count as crisps, the blatant disregard that Walkers have for the traditional colours of crisp packets...I could go on. You're the Threadstarter General, I demand action RIGHT NOW.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:50 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Unless you just mean that it offends your sensibilities, in that aesthetically it is less pleasing?
Yeah, this.
Not strictly related, but there really needs to be a thread devoted to crisps on here. Favourite crisps, crisps that used to exist but don't any more, unusually-flavoured crisps, posh crisps, cheap crisps, whether maize and corn snacks count as crisps, the blatant disregard that Walkers have for the traditional colours of crisp packets...I could go on. You're the Threadstarter General, I demand action RIGHT NOW.
Are you Marc Meakin or something?

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2608
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:56 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:Are you Marc Meakin or something?
Eh? You've started two threads just tonight, I haven't started any (yet). In any case, Marc is a reformed man, his contributions since his thread-starting ban have been interesting and relevant in the main. But if it goes some way towards making you feel better, I'll do the crisps one.

User avatar
Euan Slatter
Acolyte
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: Portishead, NORTH SOMERSET

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Euan Slatter » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:14 pm

People who argue about people you can't trust
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:30 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Are you Marc Meakin or something?
Eh? You've started two threads just tonight, I haven't started any (yet). In any case, Marc is a reformed man, his contributions since his thread-starting ban have been interesting and relevant in the main. But if it goes some way towards making you feel better, I'll do the crisps one.
It's probably best now because I'm locked into an X-Files double bill on Spike.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:05 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Are you Marc Meakin or something?
Eh? You've started two threads just tonight, I haven't started any (yet). In any case, Marc is a reformed man, his contributions since his thread-starting ban have been interesting and relevant in the main. But if it goes some way towards making you feel better, I'll do the crisps one.
Thanks Jim
In anticipation of the crisp thread here are my favourite defunct Crisps
1. Bovril
2. Cheese and tomato puffs, possibly the messiest crisps ever
3. Scampi nick nacks
4. Ranchero's..
5.cheese and onion Ringo's
6.Burton's chicken fingers....Not strictly crisps but lovely all the same
7. Oriental quavers
8.piglets
9. Tomato sauce flavour
10.beef wotsits.....Though maybe they still exist
9.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:58 am

sean d wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:I had a cracking one of these a few months ago - the woman on the phone kept shouting into the phone about what a bitch her mother was and how she wasn't wearing any underwear. She was quite rude to me (even beyond the usual 'being on the phone' rudeness) but it was such an entertaining conversation to eavesdrop that I let it slide.
We need to know.... was it the phone user who was not wearing underwear or her mother?
Phone user! She bought underwear from me. If she hadn't been rude/caught up in her phone conversation, I might have pointed her towards the nice clean toilets across the shop floor so she could have got changed there, but she stomped off downstairs after making her purchase (hopefully towards the revolting public toilets in the car park nearby).
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:57 pm

People who spell "poo" with an "h" on the end when they're talking about shit.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:57 pm

People who hold in farts.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7233
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:33 pm

I don't think I've ever heard you fart Gevin.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:I don't think I've ever heard you fart Gevin.
Good. It's generally quite easy to let out a fart quietly though.

I'm going add people that think holding in a fart is even a thing. Is it even doable? It's never occurred to me to try. Because I'm not a fucking maniac.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Yes you can. I have been on a date where I had terrible wind and had to hold one in for an hour.
Then later on when she came back to mine, she let out an enormous trump in the bathroom.
It was open season after that.
End of anecode .
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7233
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm trying to think of anyone I've ever heard fart at a Countdown event. I'm not sure there are any examples, yet I've definitely smelt some absolutely rotten things at Colin for sure.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 pm

I thought I might have posted on this already, but a quick search didn't yield anything:

People who care just a bit too much when a celebrity dies. You know the outpouring of grief from hundreds of people on Facebook etc. when someone famous dies. And people who seem to judge the quality of the year on how many celebrities have died. "2016 is a really shit year" etc.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:54 pm

This is because we are a global village
Information is so readily available so the outpouring would be akin to your local chip shop owner dying in your village.
This coupled with the perfect storm of aged rock and rollers and actors , or just ones who have taken all the drugs and booze, this shortening their lives (George Michael and Carrie fisher to name but two ).
Plus lots of TV personalities big in the sixties and seventies are now of a certain age.
I predict the next few years to yield more and more deaths.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:26 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm going add people that think holding in a fart is even a thing. Is it even doable? It's never occurred to me to try. Because I'm not a fucking maniac.
Not sure if I trust you less for the fact that you claim you've never had to hold one in (genuinely unbelievable) or of the fact that, if somehow you are telling the truth, you just walk around farting with free abandon.
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Heather Styles
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Heather Styles » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:04 pm

I agree about the global village phenomenon, but it does not account for why many people have blamed this year because an unusually high number of above averagely well-known people have died during it. But is the "F*** 2016" phenomenon just superstitious nonsense, or is it saying something deeper about our society? Could some people also be lamenting, say, Trump's election or the UK's planned (or more to the point, hardly planned at all) exit from the EU?

User avatar
James Laverty
Enthusiast
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm
Location: West Bridgford

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by James Laverty » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:08 am

People who prefer the Lemon flavoured lemsip over the Blackcurrant (I don't care about the fact it has LEM in the name before someone tries to argue that fact)
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:51 am

I go for the lemon because it tastes disgusting.
My rule of thumb for pharmacy bought medicines is the more disgusting it takes the more effective it is.
TCP being an obvious one
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:30 am

What about people who bother with Lemsip in the first place?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:32 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm going add people that think holding in a fart is even a thing. Is it even doable? It's never occurred to me to try. Because I'm not a fucking maniac.
Not sure if I trust you less for the fact that you claim you've never had to hold one in (genuinely unbelievable) or of the fact that, if somehow you are telling the truth, you just walk around farting with free abandon.
Under what circumstances would you hold one in?

Maybe if I'm feeling a bit dodgy, I will try not to let anything escape, but that's more a case of holding in watery shit than a fart per se.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:59 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm going add people that think holding in a fart is even a thing. Is it even doable? It's never occurred to me to try. Because I'm not a fucking maniac.
Not sure if I trust you less for the fact that you claim you've never had to hold one in (genuinely unbelievable) or of the fact that, if somehow you are telling the truth, you just walk around farting with free abandon.
Under what circumstances would you hold one in?

Maybe if I'm feeling a bit dodgy, I will try not to let anything escape, but that's more a case of holding in watery shit than a fart per se.
All circumstances where I'm around people?! I actually can't fathom just pandering to my bowels whenever I fancy it. It's anti-social and unpleasant for other people, especially in confined spaces or in a work environment. There's a woman who comes into my workplace every Friday and is renowned for absolutely reeking of piss; the places you frequent probably have you similarly marked as 'the guy who's always farting'. And you're a vegetarian too so I can't even imagine how stinky that would be. Is this why you got made redundant? (Too far?)
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:10 am

Jen Steadman wrote:All circumstances where I'm around people?! I actually can't fathom just pandering to my bowels whenever I fancy it. It's anti-social and unpleasant for other people, especially in confined spaces or in a work environment. There's a woman who comes into my workplace every Friday and is renowned for absolutely reeking of piss; the places you frequent probably have you similarly marked as 'the guy who's always farting'. And you're a vegetarian too so I can't even imagine how stinky that would be. Is this why you got made redundant? (Too far?)
My farts aren't generally that smelly. I think the vegetarian thing is a myth. And before you say it, so is the thing about not being able to smell your own farts.

I imagine it must be really uncomfortable holding in your farts. Also I can't imagine they are all hold-in-able anyway.

People fart in public all the time. Most farts aren't that smelly so you wouldn't be aware of it. Some people hold them in thinking it's the thing to do when other people are letting out silent non-smelly farts whenever they need to.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:18 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:My farts aren't generally that smelly. I think the vegetarian thing is a myth. And before you say it, so is the thing about not being able to smell your own farts.

I imagine it must be really uncomfortable holding in your farts. Also I can't imagine they are all hold-in-able anyway.

People fart in public all the time. Most farts aren't that smelly so you wouldn't be aware of it. Some people hold them in thinking it's the thing to do when other people are letting out silent non-smelly farts whenever they need to.
Maybe you don't have a sense of smell.
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Heather Styles
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Heather Styles » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:24 pm

People who, when asked to rate something on a scale of 1 to 10, say any number smaller than 1 or bigger than 10. The scale is 1 to 10. It's not difficult. You can even use your fingers. Relatedly, people who promise to put in 110% effort.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:29 pm

So the mystery of those people who can't or won't hold in a fart versus those (most ) who can.
Is that the riddle of the sphincter :D
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Heather Styles wrote:People who, when asked to rate something on a scale of 1 to 10, say any number smaller than 1 or bigger than 10. The scale is 1 to 10. It's not difficult. You can even use your fingers. Relatedly, people who promise to put in 110% effort.
But what about people who ask you to use a scale from 1 to 10 in the first place?

Heather Styles
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Heather Styles » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Oh yes, I had a feeling the trustworthiness of the 1 to 10 scale had been discussed before here. I can't say I much mind it, but I agree that it does lead to an erroneous tendency to think of 5 as the mid point. I actually had to check using my fingers to confirm that 5 is not the mid point. Another problem with it is lack of objectivity. When I had appendicitis and was taken to hospital, a doctor asked me how bad the pain was on a scale of 1 to 10, and I asked what levels of pain 1 and 10 represented and he said if you're asking that kind of question you can't be in very much pain so I said 3 or something just to get rid of him.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7864
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Heather Styles wrote:Oh yes, I had a feeling the trustworthiness of the 1 to 10 scale had been discussed before here. I can't say I much mind it, but I agree that it does lead to an erroneous tendency to think of 5 as the mid point. I actually had to check using my fingers to confirm that 5 is not the mid point. Another problem with it is lack of objectivity. When I had appendicitis and was taken to hospital, a doctor asked me how bad the pain was on a scale of 1 to 10, and I asked what levels of pain 1 and 10 represented and he said if you're asking that kind of question you can't be in very much pain so I said 3 or something just to get rid of him.
I get your point here. Someone could experience some amount of pain that most people never do, so that would forever more affect their scale. They might hear other people saying that they are in level 10 of pain and quietly chuckle to themselves, knowing it would only be a 2 on their scale.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests