Check your wallets!

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Check your wallets!

Post by Steven M. McCann »

Houblon £50 notes can't be spent after Wednesday!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Check your wallets!

Post by JimBentley »

Stephen, I've checked my wallet and it didn't contain any fifty pound notes at all! What should I do????!?!?!??!?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

I have now discovered under my mattress (safest place)I have some Adam Elgar £20's I can't spend!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I have now discovered under my mattress (safest place)I have some Adam Elgar £20's I can't spend!
I have some Edward Smith £20 notes. Can I use them?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Happily, all my £100 notes are still valid.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

I have no problem with notes been withdrawn, but at least make people aware.
I have had these EDWARD Elgar £20's set aside as emergency funds for the past 5 years and it turns out they were withdrawn from circulation 4 years ago completely unknownst to me!
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Do $ bills expire? - although I didn't find any old £s, I did discover a $50(Grant) dated 1985 and a few other smaller ones.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I have no problem with notes been withdrawn, but at least make people aware.
I have had these EDWARD Elgar £20's set aside as emergency funds for the past 5 years and it turns out they were withdrawn from circulation 4 years ago completely unknownst to me!
They're still worth their face value, you just have to exchange them at the issuing bank.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Peter Mabey wrote:Do $ bills expire? - although I didn't find any old £s, I did discover a $50(Grant) dated 1985 and a few other smaller ones.
No. I recently found a US currency stash that I'd forgotten about. All notes over 20 years old, all accepted in stores.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Ian,unfortunately for me, the issuing Bank for the Edward Elgar £20's is the Bank of England and they don't have any branches over here (N.Ireland), I may have to post them to London where no doubt they'll get lost!
No, the thing that's irritating me, I had that money set aside for cash emergencies (like a horse that was definitely going to win!) and it hasn't been legal tender for 4 years!
I may as well have put some Monopoly money under my mattress!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Ian,unfortunately for me, the issuing Bank for the Edward Elgar £20's is the Bank of England and they don't have any branches over here (N.Ireland), I may have to post them to London where no doubt they'll get lost!
No, the thing that's irritating me, I had that money set aside for cash emergencies (like a horse that was definitely going to win!) and it hasn't been legal tender for 4 years!
I may as well have put some Monopoly money under my mattress!
Free day trip!