Desert Island Discs

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Desert Island Discs

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Got bored and ended up thinking about this. So; 8 songs, 1 book, 1 inanimate luxury that doesn't involve contact with the outside world. What would yours be?

Luxury: Solar powered laptop. Seeing as it would hopefully be my own laptop, this would kind of invalidate the need for a limited number of discs.
Book: Not sure about this one. It's between Norwegian Wood and John Harris's book about Britpop. May have to flip a coin to settle this.
Songs: The Drowners - Suede (1992), Animal Nitrate - Suede (1993), Beetlebum - Blur (1997), Slow - My Bloody Valentine (1988), Untitled 3 - Sigur Rós (2002), Another Girl, Another Planet - The Only Ones (1978), Yes - McAlmont and Butler (1995), Crazy For You - Best Coast (2010)

Wearily awaiting some troll responses.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Desert Island Discs

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Wearily awaiting some troll responses.
Billy Goats Gruff for the book. I'll let you know shortly on the others.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Not sure why that's a troll response. It's quality reading material. Or are you trolling by giving serious answers?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Not sure why that's a troll response. It's quality reading material. Or are you trolling by giving serious answers?
Oh Jen.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

urghhhowrrhhaaahh
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Zzzzzzzzzz this site needs cremating!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Dave Preece wrote:Zzzzzzzzzz this site needs cremating!
You first.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

In response to the actual topic, I'm actually genuinely thinking hard about the songs, I'm trying to have one for any mood I might be in on my island.

However as a luxury, I think I'd like a net/rod to catch fish with. I don't know I'd be very good a fashioning a spear, so it seems like the best option. And I think I'd like the HUUUUGE complete version of Encylopedia Britannica as my book. I could learn so much.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

In response to the actual topic, I'm actually genuinely thinking hard about the songs, I'm trying to have one for any mood I might be in on my island.

However as a luxury, I think I'd like a net/rod to catch fish with. I don't know I'd be very good a fashioning a spear, so it seems like the best option. And I think I'd like the HUUUUGE complete version of Encylopedia Britannica as my book. I could learn so much.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Isn’t taking a laptop kind of against the spirit of Desert Island Discs? Effectively you’re being asked what handful of songs + book + luxury item you’d take with you if they were the only songs you could ever listen to again. And you’re saying “I’d take these eight songs and this one book.... and for my luxury item I’d take another 2,000 songs and 1,000 books. “
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

sean d wrote:Isn’t taking a laptop kind of against the spirit of Desert Island Discs? Effectively you’re being asked what handful of songs + book + luxury item you’d take with you if they were the only songs you could ever listen to again. And you’re saying “I’d take these eight songs and this one book.... and for my luxury item I’d take another 2,000 songs and 1,000 books. “
Yeah, I agree. It think the luxury item can't include any of the other types of thing. You can have a laptop but it would have to have limited functioning.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
sean d wrote:Isn’t taking a laptop kind of against the spirit of Desert Island Discs? Effectively you’re being asked what handful of songs + book + luxury item you’d take with you if they were the only songs you could ever listen to again. And you’re saying “I’d take these eight songs and this one book.... and for my luxury item I’d take another 2,000 songs and 1,000 books. “
Yeah, I agree. It think the luxury item can't include any of the other types of thing. You can have a laptop but it would have to have limited functioning.
Ok. I was going to take a laptop but now I'm taking a laptop case containing a laptop instead.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ok. I was going to take a laptop but now I'm taking a laptop case containing a laptop instead.
Are you trying to be clever or something? It doesn't change anything.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:
I wouldn't be taking it for the music so that's fine. Depends what you mean by books; I have no ebooks on it, but would Word documents I've written/accumulated over the years count? The priorities of functionality would be having MS Word and Pinball/Tetris/Mahjong/Football Manager on it so I can write/play games to entertain myself but it would be nice to also have photos/Word docs from before I became stranded, to stave off homesickness. Is that ok?
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I wouldn't be taking it for the music so that's fine. Depends what you mean by books; I have no ebooks on it, but would Word documents I've written/accumulated over the years count? The priorities of functionality would be having MS Word and Pinball/Tetris/Mahjong/Football Manager on it so I can write/play games to entertain myself but it would be nice to also have photos/Word docs from before I became stranded, to stave off homesickness. Is that ok?
From the spirit of the programme and a look at a list of what celebrities have previously taken I'd suggest maybe you'd have to choose one of:
1) word processor
2) laptop as solely a games machine
3) photo album
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Matthew Tassier wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:I wouldn't be taking it for the music so that's fine. Depends what you mean by books; I have no ebooks on it, but would Word documents I've written/accumulated over the years count? The priorities of functionality would be having MS Word and Pinball/Tetris/Mahjong/Football Manager on it so I can write/play games to entertain myself but it would be nice to also have photos/Word docs from before I became stranded, to stave off homesickness. Is that ok?
From the spirit of the programme and a look at a list of what celebrities have previously taken I'd suggest maybe you'd have to choose one of:
1) word processor
3) photo album
The luxury rules are clearly a bit stupid. I'm not allowed to take a real thing that happens to have multifunctionality, but people are allowed magic wine cellars and unlimited supplies of things?! In any case, some guy called Ian Bostridge has been allowed to have "A solar computer loaded with pictures of my family and friends" as his luxury on the show before. Surely he'd just have said a photo album if photo viewing was the only functionality of the computer.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Matthew Tassier wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:I wouldn't be taking it for the music so that's fine. Depends what you mean by books; I have no ebooks on it, but would Word documents I've written/accumulated over the years count? The priorities of functionality would be having MS Word and Pinball/Tetris/Mahjong/Football Manager on it so I can write/play games to entertain myself but it would be nice to also have photos/Word docs from before I became stranded, to stave off homesickness. Is that ok?
1) word processor
3) photo album
The luxury rules are clearly a bit stupid. I'm not allowed to take a real thing that happens to have multifunctionality, but people are allowed magic wine cellars and unlimited supplies of things?! In any case, some guy called Ian Bostridge has been allowed to have "A solar computer loaded with pictures of my family and friends" as his luxury on the show before. Surely he'd just have said a photo album if photo viewing was the only functionality of the computer.
"You can only use the computer for that though, we'll disable all other functionality."

I think I'd go for a snooker table.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

As long as you don't use it to play pool.