GRAND NATIONAL ADVICE!

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

GRAND NATIONAL ADVICE!

Post by Steven M. McCann »

Try and get your bets on before 1-00pm Saturday.
Whatever the horse or horses your backing, ask for the screen prices, if you don't, you will be paid at starting price (SP) which due to Bookmaker greed will almost certainly be shorter!
If your planning on backing your horse each-way, try and do it with a Bookmaker that's paying out on 5 places rather than the standard 4 places.
If you were only thinking of having one main bet, have a small bet on something else, just in case something unfortunate happens the main one early on.
Good luck all.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: GRAND NATIONAL ADVICE!

Post by Graeme Cole »

Bet on the horse whose name has the highest Scrabble score. This year it happens to be SHAKALAKABOOMBOOM with a score of 36.

I have done this every Grand National for about three or four years now.

It hasn't ever won me any money, but for someone who only ever bets on horses to make silly bets like this on the Grand National it's as good a strategy as any other.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Graeme,I'm almost certain you would have collected in 2006 with your "scrabble system" the winner was called NUMBERSIXVALVERDE although the SP wasn't great, only 11/1.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I have a similar strategy to Graeme whereby I bet on the ones whose names are most like genitals. This strategy has led to a considerable lifetime profit after Ballabriggs's victory in 2011.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Mark Deeks wrote:I have a similar strategy to Graeme whereby I bet on the ones whose names are most like genitals. This strategy has led to a considerable lifetime profit after Ballabriggs's victory in 2011.
Then I recommend Pineau de Re, or "The Royal Penis" as it probably translates to.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

I hope you got the 40/1 Graeme, SHAKALAKABOOMBOOM is going to start a good deal shorter.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:I have a similar strategy to Graeme whereby I bet on the ones whose names are most like genitals. This strategy has led to a considerable lifetime profit after Ballabriggs's victory in 2011.
Then I recommend Pineau de Re, or "The Royal Penis" as it probably translates to.
Dude, there's one called The Package. Come on now.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I hope you got the 40/1 Graeme, SHAKALAKABOOMBOOM is going to start a good deal shorter.
It was 25/1. And it pulled up halfway though, demonstrating that my strategy's success rate is consistent if nothing else.
Mark Deeks wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
Dude, there's one called The Package. Come on now.
Yeah, but which horse won? :lol:
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

One firm of Bookmakers had SHAKALAKABOOMBOOM available at 40/1 first thing this morning (although not for very long!) his eventual starting price was 16/1.
I know it's small consolation, but taking 25/1 turned out to be a good move.
Well done on flagging up the winner (sort of!) it's a shame none of us seem to have backed it!
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I had rocky creek at each way cos it sounded a bit vaginal. The strategy comes through once again.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Age and weight are the ONLY things to consider, the probable spread in each dept is amazingly accurate.