Generous odds on a female?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Generous odds on a female?

Post by Steven M. McCann »

Hi everyone, a few days ago I emailed Bet-On-Anything Bookmakers for prices on who would get the highest "Touchy Words" score in the month of February, they emailed me this lunchtime with the following odds.
S.M.McCann. 1/10
mla15. 10/1
JMGHaven. 16/1
JUSTIN BIEBER. 20/1
any other male. 50/1
any female. 80/1
I'm tempted to take a month off from it and back JUSTIN BIEBER!
Best Wishes Steven McCann.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Generous odds on a female?

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Paging Jen Steadman..
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Best Wishes Steven McCann
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Would they let you bet on something you can take part in? They must take precautions or they'd be taken to the cleaners.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

What is this touchy words thing? Is it like countdown? I might give it a go if it uses the same dictionary although if it doesn't I won't as it will probably fuck up my game
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I've played a few times.. had STIFADO disallowed. But you can get away with some dodgy stuff as well.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I just emailed them asking what the odds would be on Steven's next post being something about some crappy word game that nobody else gives a shit about. Book closed :-/
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Stephen there are other profit guaranteeing combos but avoid playing for a month and stick 10 grand on the first two options other than yourself, 4 grand on the next then 1,500 and 1,000 on the others. Guaranteed profit of min 49 big ones. Any bank or venture capitalist will be happy to back you
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Just downloaded it to try it out. It's a truly terrible game - ECONOMIST, MONASTERY and RELAPSING all disallowed. Amazingly bad.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Ryan Taylor had 3 disallowed words in his first game!-unbelievable Jeff!
Good idea Sean d,or I could borrow 20k from Wonga for 30 days (shouldn't be any more than 200 quid!) back myself @1/10 (to be sure of collecting!) nice 1800 profit at the end of the month!.
I was sorry to see my neighbour Martin Hamill lose on Countdown today.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

According to that, you could back everyone except yourself with effective odds of better than 3/1.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Steven M. McCann wrote: I was sorry to see *** lose on Countdown today.
Spoiler :evil:
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Ryan Taylor had 3 disallowed words in his first game!-unbelievable Jeff!
Pretty unbelievable to have words found both in the scrabble dictionary AND Oxford Dictionary disallowed (ie ECONOMIST). How does the dictionary work?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Sincere apologies to Jon Corby and the hundreds of thousands who read my earlier post, whose enjoyment of todays episode of Countdown has now been irreparably damaged, thanks to me inadvertently giving away the result,just 2 hours AFTER the programme was broadcast!.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Pardon my French, but you're an arsehole.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Playing with an INTERNET connection, ECONOMIST RELAPSING & MONASTERY are all acceptable!
So who's the real ARSEHOLE!.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Steven, your posts so far have been either a) about how good you are at a game different to the one around which this forum is based, or b) very sarcastic. I think it's alienating people.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Fair enough Mark, but you haven't been called a spoiler and an arsehole, I was only defending myself.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Add "c) confused about the nature of causality".
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't think it's necessarily intuitively obvious for someone new to a forum about a gameshow that you shouldn't post stuff about games that have happened.
Mark Deeks wrote:Steven, your posts so far have been either a) about how good you are at a game different to the one around which this forum is based, or b) very sarcastic. I think it's alienating people.
People give way too much of a shit about posts by other people, whether it's Steven McCann or Dave Preece or whoever.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Actually Charlie, I think it's you, who's confused about the "the nature of causality", it was stated that ECONOMIST RELAPSING & MONASTERY are not valid words on "Touchy Words",I was merely pointing out the fact, that played ONLINE, they are allowable!
Anyway,lifes too short.
Bye all.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I don't think it's necessarily intuitively obvious for someone new to a forum about a gameshow that you shouldn't post stuff about games that have happened.
Sure, but then a gentle nudge to point out that it shouldn't be done should be met with a "oops, sorry, what have I done" rather than a "fuck you!". I mean, there's a thread called Spoilers, it's right there. Although actually Steven doesn't appear to know what a spoiler is, since he seemed to think I was insulting him or calling him a "spoiler", whereas the spoiler is simply the information. Which makes him a spoilererer, I think.

So, Steven: There is a general agreement not to discuss shows other than in the spoiler thread, otherwise the entire site becomes off-limits for those of us at work from about 3pm onwards. We should still be able to keep up with important stuff like the latest Touchy Words betting situation without having to worry about today's show being spoilered. And I wasn't calling YOU a spoiler. Although Ryan did appear to call you an arsehole. But don't be so Touchy, they're only Words.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:Although Ryan did appear to call you an arsehole.
And I was only quoting it from a film.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jon Corby wrote:But don't be so Touchy, they're only Words.
And words don't mean a thing...
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Funnily enough Jon, It's you who doesn't seem to know, that the word"Spoiler" can be used in an insulting context, although I now accept, that that's not what you were intending.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I for one am glad you are back. Do some new topics.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Funnily enough Jon, It's you who doesn't seem to know, that the word"Spoiler" can be used in an insulting context, although I now accept, that that's not what you were intending.
Okay, I didn't mean to be insulting. I think we should both just accept that we said some things in the heat of the moment and move on from this.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Water under the bridge, Jon.
At Matt's request, check out "There's still time............."
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

STIFADO now allowed!
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

How pathetic, my world record of 1,076 on the game, has been surpassed by the ”Lance Armstrong” of Touchy Words! I have been informed by the games programmer, that the player known as ”mla15” cheats! by using a word search app to get his fraudulent high scores.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Steven M. McCann wrote:How pathetic, my world record of 1,076 on the game, has been surpassed by the ”Lance Armstrong” of Touchy Words! I have been informed by the games programmer, that the player known as ”mla15” cheats! by using a word search app to get his fraudulent high scores.
Maybe he doesn't realise that what he's doing is cheating?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Jon, the fact that he's been doing it for nearly 2 years! I think he does know he's cheating!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Steven M. McCann wrote:world record
lol
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

You may well lol Charlie, but if having the highest score [up until recently] of over 55,000 registered players throughout the world isn't a world record, I don't know what is!
In fact, 1,076 is still the ”real” record as mla15's high scores have been achieved by cheating! so therefore should be ignored.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Steven M. McCann wrote:In fact, 1,076 is still the ”real” record as mla15's high scores have been achieved by cheating! so therefore should be ignored.
Then why haven't mla15's scores been removed, if the game owners know that they're fraudulent? Answer me that, eh? Also I scored 1,205 on that game last week but didn't bother registering it, so I think we all know who's the real world record holder here.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Very good Jim,the games programmer Marc Belmont can be emailed at........contact@touchywords.com.......... he will confirm everything I've been saying about mla15.
He's already deleted all mla15's scores above 1,000 once before, it didn't work, he just continues with his cheating.
If I see your name appear in the High Score tables within the next few days, I will be a little bit more inclined to believe your 1,205! a score of 840 or so should be enough to do it.
In fact, apart from myself, only Zarte from this forum has broke 900 as far as I know.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Very good Jim,the games programmer Marc Belmont can be emailed at........contact@touchywords.com.......... he will confirm everything I've been saying about mla15.
He's already deleted all mla15's scores above 1,000 once before, it didn't work, he just continues with his cheating.
If I see your name appear in the High Score tables within the next few days, I will be a little bit more inclined to believe your 1,205! a score of 840 or so should be enough to do it.
In fact, apart from myself, only Zarte from this forum has broke 900 as far as I know.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I emailed Mr Belmont but his reply made no sense at all. Something about protecting Transylvania from the forces of darkness? Certainly no mention of a world record.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Steven M. McCann wrote:If I see your name appear in the High Score tables within the next few days, I will be a little bit more inclined to believe your 1,205!
Maybe Jim's name is mla15 on Touchy Words Steven? It could be anyone. It could be Callum Todd.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Steven M. McCann wrote:In fact, apart from myself, only Zarte from this forum has broke 900 as far as I know.
I'd forgotten about this game - I ought to have another go.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...