COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:48 pm

I think we need one of these to discuss everything about our experiences and opinions etc.

Personally I think a lot of people and indeed whole countries are struggling to get the balance right. Closing restaurants, pubs etc. is an unfortunate but sensible move. It's difficult to properly practice "social distancing" in these environments, and closing them will help stop the spread. But full scale lockdowns are just asking for more problems. People need to get outside and exercise etc. for their health, both physical and mental, and it's really easy to keep two metres away from people. They always said from the start that the risk is when you're within two metres of someone for 15 minutes or more. And while 15 minutes isn't a "magic number", if I'm on a run and pass within "range" of someone for approximately a second, the risk is negligible. Fortunately I don't think the UK will actually enforce a full lockdown, but other countries have and I think a lot of it might be about being seen to do the right thing. Obviously we need to take this seriously, but that doesn't mean the more drastic your measures, the more sensible you are. We can't turn into lunatics over this.

And this brings me neatly onto Essex County Council who have decided to close all their country parks, and this includes the Flitch Way, which is a disused railway line where people walk/cycle/run etc. It's not a park by any normal definition, but it's counted as a country park, and it's been closed and that's the relevant thing here. It's also where I do about 90% of my running. And what good does closing it do? People will still go out to do their outside activities, but they will just have a smaller number of places to go, so surely that means more chance of meeting each other! It also means more people will use roads which are more dangerous, but because they're not the latest cool danger that doesn't matter. But I suppose when people do catch the coronavirus, Essex County Council will be able to say that it wasn't on their grounds so it wasn't their fault. Morons.

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:08 am

Yeah I don't really get that one.

I get that they closed the London parks because it would be difficult to keep a safe distance. But Snowdonia? I've never been but I can't imagine it was as packed as St. James' Park gets. I went to Hainault Forest Country Park on Saturday and it was very easy to keep a safe distance from everyone. I also went for a kickabout yesterday in the park and managed easily to avoid coming within 2 meters of anyone.

Cath C

Post by Cath C » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 am

I think we’ll all be on lockdown by tomorrow night to be honest,

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Day six of lockdown here, getting a lot of stuff done, but missing ball sports. The garden is mostly sorted for the Spring.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Fiona T
Enthusiast

Post by Fiona T » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Can't run atm, but went for a short bike ride on Saturday which lifted my spirits massively. Preventing people from exercising for any length of time will have a major negative impact on physical and mental health. And families locked up together 24/7 are gonna murder each other for sure!
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm

Keep spouting shit on social media and here to keep my spirits up.
Also I have been canvassing people who had Coronavirus symptoms in December or early January as I'm convinced I had it before it was officially out there.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm
Also I have been canvassing people who had Coronavirus symptoms in December or early January as I'm convinced I had it before it was officially out there.
Chances are you could have done. I know of two people at uni who had it in late December and mid-January respectively, for the latter after it showed up later on blood tests. (So I'm told)

There was something pretty nasty knocking around beforehand for sure, but this stems from that market in Wuhan - I can't remember the month it was held?

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:52 pm

James S Roper wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm
Chances are you could have done. I know of two people at uni who had it in late December and mid-January respectively, for the latter after it showed up later on blood tests. (So I'm told)

There was something pretty nasty knocking around beforehand for sure, but this stems from that market in Wuhan - I can't remember the month it was held?
It's an interesting idea, I had an unusual chest infection around the start of the year. Won't be getting tested for a while I presume though.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 pm

I had a weird chest infection around the end of February too, was given antibiotics and didn't think anything further of it, was told it couldn't possible be COVID as I hadn't come into contact with anyone with it. Fast forward to this weekend just gone, I've got an elevated temperature and my senses of taste and smell are completely gone. Currently self-isolating for a week and hoping that this is (somehow) unrelated. The whole of Lincolnshire is only supposed to have 20 cases of COVID- I reckon the actual number is a lot higher.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 pm
I had a weird chest infection around the end of February too, was given antibiotics and didn't think anything further of it, was told it couldn't possible be COVID as I hadn't come into contact with anyone with it. Fast forward to this weekend just gone, I've got an elevated temperature and my senses of taste and smell are completely gone. Currently self-isolating for a week and hoping that this is (somehow) unrelated. The whole of Lincolnshire is only supposed to have 20 cases of COVID- I reckon the actual number is a lot higher.
Stay safe

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:50 pm

Problem is without lots of testing numbers are unknown .
Places like Russia can boast low levels of new cases because lest then 1% of their population are being tested.
If we tested everyone in the country the figures would be closer to Italy

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm

I think some of the measures brought in yesterday are an overreaction. The problem is groups of people together, not people out alone or with their families. So there's no sensible reason to say you can only go out once to exercise. There's no problem with someone spending their entire day faffing around outside unless they start hanging around other people.

I know people will then say that people will just take the piss like they did last weekend and hang around in parks in large groups of people. But this is unconnected. Restricting solo movement will not stop people doing this. They've banned gatherings of more than two people anyway, and said that the police can enforce it. That should be enough. Or if it isn't, people who are intent on hanging out in large groups that aren't put off by the fact that it's now illegal aren't going to suddenly think twice because something else had been made illegal.

We have to do the right thing and the government has to do the right thing to stop the spread of this, but it's about coming up with sensible measures - it's not the more draconian the better.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:34 pm

I think if you are out and about just keep moving
You are so much more at risk travelling on a bus or train or alecen a taxi than if you are out cycling running or jogging/brisk walking

Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 am

Carol Vorderman on BBC Coronavirus newscast last evening. Brief Countdown chat at the start.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:24 pm

Just been to Tesco's. It all seemed pretty dystopian.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:
How is your recovery going? They do say that loss of taste is a symptom. But I don't think the thing you had at the end of February would be related.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:46 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 pm
Ben Wilson wrote:
How is your recovery going? They do say that loss of taste is a symptom. But I don't think the thing you had at the end of February would be related.
Slowly, but thanks for asking. :) Still a bit shivery, still got a very tickly cough and less energy than a sloth on hardcore Valium. I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy food again as no sense of taste does a real number on your appetite.

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:27 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:
Interestingly, we noticed a possible diminishment of sense of smell last night in our house (no, this isn't a set-up for a funny). Vick's Vaporub was the test substance, and it's barely noticeable to us now. Quite odd, although I'm wondering if the formula's changed? Seems unlikely.

Fiona T
Enthusiast

Post by Fiona T » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 am

Ian Volante wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:27 pm
Interestingly, we noticed a possible diminishment of sense of smell last night in our house (no, this isn't a set-up for a funny). Vick's Vaporub was the test substance, and it's barely noticeable to us now. Quite odd, although I'm wondering if the formula's changed? Seems unlikely.
I'm imagining a game in Ian's house where you're blindfolded and have to guess various things from their smell - coffee, vicks, armpit of yesterday's t-shirt :lol:

Stay well Ian, and get well soon Ben!
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am

I think there are a lot of people whose health might actually benefit from this. People who normally do no exercise and are now cooped up in their houses are told that they can go out to exercise once a day - once more than they normally do! And perhaps through boredom they're more likely to do it now!

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am
I think there are a lot of people whose health might actually benefit from this. People who normally do no exercise and are now cooped up in their houses are told that they can go out to exercise once a day - once more than they normally do! And perhaps through boredom they're more likely to do it now!
Very glad there doesn't seem to be a time limit on your daily exercise so I'm on my bike for a good three hours most days

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:19 pm

I play football regularly but obviously we can't get a game going at the moment so I did a few HIT exercises, some squats, lunges etc to keep the body moving. Only about 8 minutes or so and yet the next day I could barely get down the stairs. I can play an hour of football twice a week no bother but a few squats puts me out of commission.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:22 pm

One of my neighbours is always gardening. I saw him out there today, and he briefly stepped into the lane before going back again. And I said "That's his one outing allowed. If he does that again, I'm calling the police."

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Boris has it
This shit got real.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:47 pm
Boris has it
This shit got real.
Prince Charles already has it. If by "real" we mean even posh twats are getting it.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:24 pm

My sympathy levels are waning.
I'm thinking Boris gets tested but the nurses don't

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:47 pm
Boris has it
This shit got real.
Prince Charles already has it. If by "real" we mean even posh twats are getting it.
Disappointed with Prince Charles , he is self isolating , the perfect opportunity to do upload his cover version of ' I Just Can't Wait to be King '

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 pm

Boris Johnson originally just wanted to carry on as normal so we'd get herd immunity when 60% of people had got this coronavirus. So I suppose he's just doing his bit.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:17 pm

Some people are phoning the police because they think their neighbours are going out to exercise twice. I think this sort of thing can bring the best and worst out in people. (In this case the worst obviously.)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Very glad there doesn't seem to be a time limit on your daily exercise so I'm on my bike for a good three hours most days
Sorry - whose bike? :mrgreen:

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:30 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sorry - whose bike? :mrgreen:
Too soon. 🙂
Funnily enough I was trawling through my dark period on here for research on behalf of Martin Peters and to say I was embarrassed was an understatement , my toes were curling more than those shoes the Turkish wear

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:11 pm

Callum Todd wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 am
Carol Vorderman on BBC Coronavirus newscast last evening. Brief Countdown chat at the start.
Countdown to the apocalypse.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:59 am

Good news today , the stats will be 5% less accurate due to the clocks going forward

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 pm

In this BBC article, it says
In the letter, being sent to 30 million homes, the prime minister warned stricter restrictions could be put in place if necessary.
One worry is that they will further restrict exercise, by e.g. having a time limit rather than just "once a day" and also restricting how far you can go.

But really this is all nonsense. The risk of spreading the virus when outside two metres away from other people is negligible, whether you're outside for one minute or all the time. Even if you briefly pass people and get within the two-metre range it's still negligible. When this thing was new, they defined close contact with someone as being within two metres of someone for 15 minutes or more. There's basically zero risk from just passing someone unless they cough in your face. The 15 minutes thing seemed to disappear because they wanted it to be simple, but in terms of objective risk, simply being within a two-metre range of someone for a few seconds is basically nothing.

If this virus continues to spread, it won't be because people are going out exercising. It will be because of people who are in close contact with each other - either because they're flouting the rules or because of their essential work - or because people are touching contaminated surfaces and not washing their hands.

So let's not just add arbitrary extra restrictions that won't make any difference just so that the government can say they're doing something about it.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:27 pm

You're biased as fuck because you love exercising. Spare a thought for people who like being social and people who like touching stuff.