Spoilers for Wednesday July 3rd 2013 (Series 69 Prelim...3)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday July 3rd 2013 (Series 69 Prelim...3)

Post by Jordan F »

Well, after the surprise special yesterday, I'm not sure what's going on today. I will assume if they carry on according to schedule, we'll have two new contestants after Glen Webb became an octochamp. We'll figure it out though when it happens.

Whatever episode this may be, join James for the recap late.r
Last edited by Jordan F on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday July 3rd 2013 (Series 69 Prelim 2

Post by Jordan F »

So apparently our contestant is Steve Grimble, who won "yesterday", and also played in Series 11 but lost. I do not believe Nick said what his score was in his first game.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday July 3rd 2013 (Series 69 Prelim..

Post by Jordan F »

Would PROFITERS be a valid 9 in the FROSTIER/SPORTIER round?
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Jordan F wrote:Would PROFITERS be a valid 9 in the FROSTIER/SPORTIER round?
No, but there is a 9 there!
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Jordan F wrote:So apparently our contestant is Steve Grimble, who won "yesterday", and also played in Series 11 but lost. I do not believe Nick said what his score was in his first game.
Obviously this show was meant to go out today as it is Tracy Emin's birthday, but they were talking like
this was the second show of the week. No doubt we will suss out what is going on at some point.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

We ought to ask Glen as he was clearly there for the filming.

NB: Probably best to keep a sharp ear out for any previous scores that Nick offers as that might help with the wiki collaboration.
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

For some reason C4 chose not to show Steve's first game which presumably was scheduled for yesterday. Does anyone who was in the studio have a clue what was going on?
Chris Hare
Rookie

Post by Chris Hare »

Tony Atkins wrote:
PORTFIRES?
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Chris Hare wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:
PORTFIRES?
N1, only saw it when Jordan said there was a definite 9.

Yeah Joyce, weird situation - I hope it's nothing serious like crime etc. I'd like to think it was Joe Harrison and he got busted for using lexplorer during letters rounds.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Jordan F wrote:So apparently our contestant is Steve Grimble, who won "yesterday", and also played in Series 11 but lost. I do not believe Nick said what his score was in his first game.
Obviously this show was meant to go out today as it is Tracy Emin's birthday, but they were talking like
this was the second show of the week. No doubt we will suss out what is going on at some point.
Where did they suggest that it was the second show of the week? Glen Webb's final victory was on Monday, and this episode clearly didn't follow straight on from it.

Curious that DC saw VERSION in round 2 but missed AVERSION. I had an alternative (50 + (7x6)) x 2 in round 3 and CORRAL in round 10. And would OUTTAKE have been OK in round 5?
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Guy Barry wrote:OUTTAKE?
If apterous's dictionary is up-to-date then TAKEOUT is fine but OUTTAKE^ is not
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Andy Platt wrote:
Guy Barry wrote:OUTTAKE?
If apterous's dictionary is up-to-date then TAKEOUT is fine but OUTTAKE^ is not
That's what the dictionary says too. OUT-TAKE is hyphenated. But TAKEOUT is fine. Hmmmm TAKEOUT ...
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

Direct quote from Digital Spy: (about yesterday)

Now this is really strange. I missed the live broadcast, so as I have Virgin cable on demand, i decided to watch it on that. The program came up and played quite naturally with two new contestants and Penny Smith in DC.
The contest was won on the crucial conundrum.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Andy Platt wrote:We ought to ask Glen as he was clearly there for the filming.

NB: Probably best to keep a sharp ear out for any previous scores that Nick offers as that might help with the wiki collaboration.
This bloke on Digital Spy claims he saw the secret forbidden episode on Virgin's On Demand service, and Steve won on a crucial conundrum. Also, Nick noted that Rachel had to do a lot of work today, and "yesterday, nothing", suggesting most or all of the numbers rounds in Steve's first game were solved by the contestants.

Yesterday in aptochat I asked Glen if he knew why yesterday's scheduled episode wasn't shown, but its replacement with the special was as much a surprise to him as to us.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Got a max game, with the exception of the 9 in round 12...... (drat :( )

ROMAINES in round 2, DRAGOMEN/IDEOGRAM in round 4, BEWAIL/LIGATE in round 7 and CORRAL/LOAFER in round 10.

1st Numbers Alt.: (50 + 25 + 10 + 7) x 2 = 184
3rd Numbers Alt.: ((75 - 25 + 5) x 4) - 2 = 218
4th Numbers Alt.: ((100 - 9) x ((2 x 5) - 1)) + 6 = 825
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Probably Edward Snowden.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Did the guy on Digital Spy get a name? Glen maybe? Then we can start searching the news for rape and murder and stuff.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Did the guy on Digital Spy get a name? Glen maybe? Then we can start searching the news for rape and murder and stuff.
From speaking to Glen personally, he tells me that the guy played on the show, then soon after it was done recording, he left cos a family member was ill, but apparently he wasn't informed that the episode was pulled either, so we're still none the wiser..... :roll:
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Is it possible that there was something about the technical side that went madly wrong?
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Zarte Siempre wrote:Is it possible that there was something about the technical side that went madly wrong?
Maybe someone in the gallery forgot to press Record.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I've got every faith that Damian will provide the reason (or as much as he legally can if appropriate) before long. I'm going to try and get some sleep.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I've tweeted the c4c twitter, to see if we can at least get a score for the Wiki.
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

I've just looked at Virgin on demand and Tuesday's offering was Ryan and Michelle, so no enlightenment there.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Zarte Siempre wrote:I've tweeted the c4c twitter, to see if we can at least get a score for the Wiki.
Heh, they stopped following me when I re-tweeted the abusive stuff about me - clearly I'm not vanilla enough for whichever lackey is in charge of the page. They also ignored every question I ever sent to them, even before recording, so good luck ... But I'm curious to know if they do respond so let us know. More likely to get some informal comment from big D on here (if he is allowed to discuss it).
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Alright, I've tried John W directly now, see if he's any more forthcoming, heh.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

James Robinson wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Did the guy on Digital Spy get a name? Glen maybe? Then we can start searching the news for rape and murder and stuff.
From speaking to Glen personally, he tells me that the guy played on the show, then soon after it was done recording, he left cos a family member was ill, but apparently he wasn't informed that the episode was pulled either, so we're still none the wiser..... :roll:
If the challenger left shortly after the recording to attend to a family member who was ill, it's quite possible the programme may have been pulled if that person died. The contestant may have requested it not to be broadcast. This has happened before on other programmes. I remember it happened a few years ago on Deal Or No Deal.
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Anthony Endsor wrote:If the challenger left shortly after the recording to attend to a family member who was ill, it's quite possible the programme may have been pulled if that person died. The contestant may have requested it not to be broadcast. This has happened before on other programmes. I remember it happened a few years ago on Deal Or No Deal.
If this is the explanation, what would have happened if 'Mark' had won? Obviously he would still have retired, but I presume the loser (Steve) would have been allowed to play the next game in his place (albeit without being credited with a win). After all, it would be unfair to deny him and his rellies the chance of seeing him on TV because of this.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Malcolm James wrote:
Anthony Endsor wrote:If the challenger left shortly after the recording to attend to a family member who was ill, it's quite possible the programme may have been pulled if that person died. The contestant may have requested it not to be broadcast. This has happened before on other programmes. I remember it happened a few years ago on Deal Or No Deal.
If this is the explanation, what would have happened if 'Mark' had won? Obviously he would still have retired, but I presume the loser (Steve) would have been allowed to play the next game in his place (albeit without being credited with a win).
But they wouldn't have known that the programme was going to be pulled at the time of the recording. I presume that if a reigning champion retires two new contestants come in for the next programme.
After all, it would be unfair to deny him and his rellies the chance of seeing him on TV because of this.
I suppose they would have the option of inviting Steve back for a further appearance once they knew that the programme was to be pulled.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Malcolm James wrote:
If this is the explanation, what would have happened if 'Mark' had won? Obviously he would still have retired, but I presume the loser (Steve) would have been allowed to play the next game in his place (albeit without being credited with a win). After all, it would be unfair to deny him and his rellies the chance of seeing him on TV because of this.
The only insight I can give to that question is a situation we had a few years ago, where a player won 5 games, then there must have been a break in recording, he then went out that night, got drunk, and finished up getting arrested in Aberdeen. The next programme he was due to play as champion, there were 2 new contestants. Richard said he had to leave for personal reasons and would return in the Quarter Finals, which he never did. So I'm thinking the same would have happened here if he had won, though it's still likely Tuesday's programme would not have been broadcast.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Anthony Endsor wrote:a player won 5 games, then there must have been a break in recording, he then went out that night, got drunk, and finished up getting arrested in Aberdeen.
FrankLAD
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Andy Platt wrote:
Anthony Endsor wrote:a player won 5 games, then there must have been a break in recording, he then went out that night, got drunk, and finished up getting arrested in Aberdeen.
FrankLAD
That's the one :P
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Anthony Endsor wrote:The only insight I can give to that question is a situation we had a few years ago, where a player won 5 games, then there must have been a break in recording, he then went out that night, got drunk, and finished up getting arrested in Aberdeen. The next programme he was due to play as champion, there were 2 new contestants. Richard said he had to leave for personal reasons and would return in the Quarter Finals, which he never did. So I'm thinking the same would have happened here if he had won, though it's still likely Tuesday's programme would not have been broadcast.
This isn't the same situation. In 'Frank's' case all games shot were shown, so all losing challengers got their 15 minutes of fame. If 'Mark' had won on Tuesday, Steve would have been denied this chance, having told his friends and family to look out for him on TV. Would Damian say 'Hard luck' or would he be allowed to come back?
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Malcolm James wrote:
Anthony Endsor wrote:The only insight I can give to that question is a situation we had a few years ago, where a player won 5 games, then there must have been a break in recording, he then went out that night, got drunk, and finished up getting arrested in Aberdeen. The next programme he was due to play as champion, there were 2 new contestants. Richard said he had to leave for personal reasons and would return in the Quarter Finals, which he never did. So I'm thinking the same would have happened here if he had won, though it's still likely Tuesday's programme would not have been broadcast.
This isn't the same situation. In 'Frank's' case all games shot were shown, so all losing challengers got their 15 minutes of fame. If 'Mark' had won on Tuesday, Steve would have been denied this chance, having told his friends and family to look out for him on TV. Would Damian say 'Hard luck' or would he be allowed to come back?
That, I can't answer I'm afraid. I can only go by what's happened previously when contestants have left. It's not something that happens very often so there's not much to go on.