Spoilers For Monday June 17th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday June 17th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, we carry on with the quarter-finals yet again, but wait, the horses are ready to be unleashed. Looks like we're down to 1 show again. :( :cry:

So, our quarter-final today involves people from the beginning and end of this series.

We have the first octochamp of the series, the #2 seed, Andy Platt, taking on the last person to book their place in the finals, the #7 seed, Chris Ball.

Here are the stats:

Firstly, No.2 Seed Andy "The Salford Superstorm" Platt - 8 Wins, 889 Points. (Average: 111.13) (4 Games In 15.3 Format, 4 Games In 15.4 Format)
Highest Score: 120 vs. Josh Young (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 100 vs. Daniel Davies (5th Game)
9's Achieved: 6/8
Total Points/Max/%: 889/1036 (86%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 620/682 (91%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 239/274 (87%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 30/80 (38%)

Secondly, No.7 Seed Chris "The Chellaston Challenger" Ball - 3 Wins, 358 Points. (Average: 89.5)
Highest Score: 95 vs. Mill Pritchard (2nd Game)
Lowest Score: 84 vs. Vicky Greaves (3rd Game)
9's Achieved: 1/4
Total Points/Max/%: 358/529 (68%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 223/335 (67%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 115/154 (75%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 20/40 (50%)

Making her DC debut today and staying with us all next week is the singer/presenter and original member of Hear'Say, Myleene Klass.

Graeme will be recapping later on before we return to hibernation again. ;) :) :D :P
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers For Monday June 17th 2013

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Another excellent century win. Well done Andy.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well done Andy, on top form again 8-) Well done to Chris also for making the quarters.

The two big guns safely through. :)
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Thought Andy was fishing to get BEGONIAS so was shocked when he went for ORGANISE. Well done to him anyway.

Alt 1st numbers (8x75)-100+(8/(50/25))
Alt 2nd numbers (75+7-5)x10+5+6
Alt 4th numbers ((5x8)-3)x(9+1)
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Great performance there, Andy! Have to feel for Chris who didn't play anywhere near as badly as her score suggested.

TONALITE in the LEGATION round.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Cheers so far guys

Can you remember the exact letters in the ORGANISE round? I can't really remember but I think I had a few that round
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Oh I meant the order or specifically the last letter, sorry.

As a related side note, I remembered in that round that I used to get confused a bit between BERGENIA and BEGONIA and come up with something like this so it's good to see I didn't fuck that one up on TV!
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

The letters were BRGSNEIOA
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Did I really pick 5 consonants to begin?
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

That wasn't the exact order no
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Andy Platt wrote:Oh I meant the order or specifically the last letter, sorry.
Dan McColm wrote:That wasn't the exact order no
:D

Fuck it I'll watch it when I get home. We (ie I) can stop spamming the thread with inane stuff now sorry :evil:
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Round 13, did anyone notice Andy wiggling the chair all the way through the round? :D
cheers maus
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Another very good performance Andy. I was quite surprised that JOINDERS wasn't allowed, definitely would have declared that word too.

Alternate for the first numbers game:

(75*8)-100+(8*25/50) - just realised has already been posted, sorry Tony. :)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Martin Long wrote:Another very good performance Andy. I was quite surprised that JOINDERS wasn't allowed, definitely would have declared that word too.
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 3#r7943003
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Andy Platt wrote:
Martin Long wrote:Another very good performance Andy. I was quite surprised that JOINDERS wasn't allowed, definitely would have declared that word too.
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 3#r7943003
I have only just noticed your blog. I'm really enjoying it so far, makes for very good reading!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Martin Long wrote:I have only just noticed your blog. I'm really enjoying it so far, makes for very good reading!
Cheers!
Thomas Carey wrote:Round 13, did anyone notice Andy wiggling the chair all the way through the round? :D
Probably needed a poo.

I only just got chance to watch it back, I did wonder whether they'd edit the conundrum ... there was a massive gap between the instant Nick pressed the buzzer to start the clock and the instant the actual conundrum scrambled was revealed to us as contestants - so much so I was almost about to start looking at Jay or Nick thinking that it might have been fine on Chris's screen but not on mine. Another thing to mention is that we were going to use UNETHICAL for one of the Co:Leam conundrums, but clearly got to remove it now as it's too fresh in the memory - initally I was going to use the same scramble that Damian did (with TIE and LAUNCH the other way round) but then decided on IEATLUNCH. So that's interesting, and helped me get it here no end.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Well played Andy! I REALLY hope you win this, as I like the way you present yourself (unlike what the dicks on twitter think of you), I think you're the most succinct player in this series my a mile, and one of the coolest ever! Having said all that from my heart, my head say Giles simply CAN'T lose against you, but I can't wait to watch it in a week-and-a-half-or-so, AND I REALLY want to be wrong about how good Giles is!

Good luck Andy...
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

James Robinson wrote:So, we carry on with the quarter-finals yet again, but wait, the horses are ready to be unleashed. Looks like we're down to 1 show again. :( :cry:

clipped
Good opportunity to log onto http://www.filmon.com/#France-3 from 3.10pm (UK time) to watch Des Chiffres et Des Lettres if you want an afternoon break.

Mauro
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Dave Preece wrote: Having said all that from my heart, my head say Giles simply CAN'T lose against you, but I can't wait to watch it in a week-and-a-half-or-so, AND I REALLY want to be wrong about how good Giles is!
What makes you say this? Saying that Giles would be favourite against Andy is one thing but to say that it's a foregone conclusion sounds a bit far-stretched. Andy's a quality player and can easily beat Giles on his day, and vice versa.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Just caught up with yesterday's episode so well done Andy. As I'm normally rubbish at the "four large" rounds I'd just like to say that I had (75 - (100/25) - 8) x 8 as another alternative in round 3 - could be a first!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Jack Worsley wrote:
Dave Preece wrote: Having said all that from my heart, my head say Giles simply CAN'T lose against you, but I can't wait to watch it in a week-and-a-half-or-so, AND I REALLY want to be wrong about how good Giles is!
What makes you say this? Saying that Giles would be favourite against Andy is one thing but to say that it's a foregone conclusion sounds a bit far-stretched. Andy's a quality player and can easily beat Giles on his day, and vice versa.
Hey Jack, not arguing with you... 'cause to me, you're a lege' BUT correct me if I'm wrong - isn't Giles the highest scoring octochamp EVER? With this in mind, that's why my head says Giles CAN'T lose, and in you words: it's probably 'a foregone conclusion'.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

I don't really want a massive argument either but stranger things have happened on the show and the favourite doesn't always win. Statistics don't always tell the whole story either. I rest my case.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

:)

You're all presuming both Giles and I make the final ;)
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Jack Worsley wrote:I don't really want a massive argument either but stranger things have happened on the show and the favourite doesn't always win. Statistics don't always tell the whole story either. I rest my case.
I know, but not every fave or every number 1 seed was the record points scorer of all-time!
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Well played Andy, very good stuff! Almost nerveless, it seemed! I think UNETHICAL was one of the conundrums at my audition many moons ago. Myleene seems to be a decent player too (unless she's just taking credit for Susie's work). I also detected some strange cheer-singing-warbling going on when the credits starting rolling (where everyone else was going "aaaay", someone was going "aaaaayoooooaaaaayoooooaaaay"). JOINDERS was in ODE2r (at least according to apterous), but is not in ODE3. I was worried that you'd have it as soon as that selection came out; I don't know if you'd have gone for it had Chris not declared 8.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Cheers dude.

Re: JOINDERS - would have gone for it anyway truth be told - never really considered that it wasn't in as I thought the definition was something else. Knowing it was a 'non-pluralisable' (or whatever the best way of saying that is) legal term would have been useful. Think I'd always thought it was just something to do with carpentry or some shit. Introducing exhibits A and B as I say.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Good stuff from Andy, unlucky with Joinders.

IMO Andy is as just a good a players as Giles; the 70 point gap in their octo scores desn't take into account that Andy had horrendously difficult conundrums and thay he has a notable advantage on the numbers. Looking forward to seeing them play each other in the final if it happens!