Spoilers for Wednesday June 5th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 49)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday June 5th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 49)

Post by Jordan F »

Chris Ball is up to 3 wins and is right now in the top 8. She can clinch her spot in the finals with a win today, but she has a pretty major obstacle in her way. That obstacle's name is apterite Glen Webb. It'll definitely be her hardest challenge yet having seen him on apterous, we'll see how he's like in front of the camera and how he and Chris do against each other.

For the first time in awhile, join James for the recap later.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday June 5th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 4

Post by Jordan F »

What an impressive debut for Glen, hopefully that 125 is a good sign of things to come. And well played Chris, scoring 91 against a player of Glen's caliber is no mean feat, and it seems like there's a good chance she makes it back for the finals anyway.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Jordan F wrote:What an impressive debut for Glen, hopefully that 125 is a good sign of things to come. And well played Chris, scoring 91 against a player of Glen's caliber is no mean feat, and it seems like there's a good chance she makes it back for the finals anyway.
This, great performance, Glen! Chris will be hoping he wins at least seven so he carries on into next series, so she'll qualify for the finals. Looking forward to the rest!

NEGRONIS in round 8.
Edit: Just realised there's a nine in that round. Did anyone get it?
Last edited by Jack Worsley on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I am sure we will see much more of Glen and if he keeps winning he will end the series on 7 wins. If he loses at some
point and he or his vanquisher do better than Chris, then Chris will drop from 8th to 9th place. With one of the top 8
likely not play, according to rumours, she will either get to play Andy Platt if 7th seed, or Giles Hutchings if 8th seed.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

UNRESTED as an alt to EXTRUDES in R11.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

If BLEATINGS had been allowed on Monday and all of the other rounds had stayed the same (which is not guaranteed), Chris would be on 376 points, two ahead of Jill Hayward. How important could that be?
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Tony Atkins wrote:UNRESTED as an alt to EXTRUDES in R11.
Also DENTURES, with RAGTIME as an alternative in R12. And ((50 x 2)-1) x 8 in R3. I thought of COWARDY in R13 but rejected it!

Some very good selections of letters there - my highest personal score for some time, though Glen would have beaten me. Hope he continues on this form.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Guy Barry wrote:I thought of COWARDY in R13 but rejected it!
I had it, but worried about it too, but had FEODARY as an alternative, although I thought UNDERSET was good in round 11............... :oops: :roll:

REARMOST in round 5 and EPIGRAM in round 11.

Superb performance there, Glen. I believe that's the 3rd highest début score by anybody (discounting 2nd débuts.) :geek:
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

James Robinson wrote: Superb performance there, Glen. I believe that's the 3rd highest début score by anybody (discounting 2nd débuts.) :geek:
I make it the second highest, second only to Giles, or have I missed someone out?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jack Worsley wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Superb performance there, Glen. I believe that's the 3rd highest début score by anybody (discounting 2nd débuts.) :geek:
I make it the second highest, second only to Giles, or have I missed someone out?
Ooops, my bad. I thought Jonathan Coles' (from Series 58) début score was 126. It's 124............... :oops: :roll:

Although, there's another amazing fact about today's game, which I'll bring up in my recap later. ;) :) :D
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Great start Glen. You seemed very relaxed for your debut. On that performance, I expect you'll go on a decent run. Looking forward to seeing more of the same. :D
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

James Robinson wrote:Superb performance there, Glen. I believe that's the 3rd highest début score by anybody (discounting 2nd débuts.) :geek:
Nice, but this was a 2nd début. The series 23 Glen Webb is the same person. :geek: :geek:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Nick Deller wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Superb performance there, Glen. I believe that's the 3rd highest début score by anybody (discounting 2nd débuts.) :geek:
Nice, but this was a 2nd début. The series 23 Glen Webb is the same person. :geek: :geek:
Really, that's very controversial if it's true........................... :shock: :shock: :o :o
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

James Robinson wrote:
Nick Deller wrote:
Really, that's very controversial if it's true........................... :shock: :shock: :o :o
Hmm, I hope I haven't dropped anyone in it here! Granted, it's the first time a QF has had a second bite, but it's 21 years on... is it really that much more controversial than some of the other old-timers who've had another run-out lately?

It is true, anyway - Glen and I go way back, I recall playing the board game against him at 1:00 in the morning at a Eurovision convention in 1995. He beat me quite handsomely, but in fairness he was rather drunk. :D
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I think it's nice to see they've become so much more open to past contestants, it'll certainly help them keep application numbers high enough. There must be tons of people who were unlucky to lose their first or second game in the 9-round era and would love to have another go. No doubt lots of viewers will be pleased to see a surge of talented older contestants too.

Anyway, very well done Glen! Can't see anything stopping you on that form.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Ditto.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Just got round to seeing this, excellent ton win Glen. 8-) Also glad to see that Chris has qualified for the quarters. :)